Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

There we go. Another good faith, logically equivalent argument. Some of you guys must be terrified of your own shadow, if only for the fact that it's dark and you worry a scary social justice warrior may jump out and call you racist for them. 

There we go.  Another good faith, logically equivalent response.  Some of you guys must be offended by everything, if only for the fact that the real world is vicious and everything may alarm your delicate sensibilities.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, CDAK said:

I don't know about herpes but syphilis went from new world to old. I think it's the one disease that's been identified that the Europeans brought back from the new world, and then promptly spread everywhere else.

so..... South Austin's mom has the Conquistadors to blame?

12 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

But we'll ditch it just because someone says that could have possibly happened. 120 years ago. Fucking stupid.

The song made its debut at a minstrel show. It's an open question whether that performance was made in black-face. Those are both value neutral facts that in my opinion are relevant. 

Now, I know reading gets very hard when you are so defensive and skittish, but if you would have made it to the very next sentence I said: 

Again, I'm not saying that this makes the song racist and I've said multiple times I think this whole thing can be salvaged but misconstruing what the actual issue is does nothing to further that goal (if that even is the goal)

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

When it is ditched it will be because it's become extremely polarizing, which is the exact opposite of what you want from an alma mater.

It hasn't "become" anything. People have made up a bullshit narrative about it and are using it to divide the University.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

It hasn't "become" anything. People have made up a bullshit narrative about it and are using it to divide the University.

lol yes, the entire UNIVERSITY is being torn asunder

Researchers have forgotten everything they knew! Scholars are now ignorant in their fields! The Tower is literally crumbling! Diplomas are disintegrating!

WILL WE EVER SURVIVE THIS TEMPEST IN A TEAPOT!?

• Fuck You 2

59 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The players aren't bitching about it, their coach hasn't given then clear guidance on how to handle the situation so the "fans" are outraged. The band had nothing to do with the initial request and feel that they too also shouldn't be forced to do it.

The band has very much put themselves in the mix now and this could have been avoided by a simple decree that you show up and play  or turn in the uniform.  Go back to the article they said half the band didn't want to participate and then made it about the whole band by bring up the lack of instrumentation (whatever the fuck that means) to cancel their whole appearance.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

That does nothing to change the fact that America in 2020 is plagued by systemic racism born of slavery.

Yes it does. You say America is “racist” based on some criteria I assume. What was the criteria you used to define that? I’m suggesting you used a very arbitrary criteria based on your political leanings and emotions and not anything logical or even relative to any other culture or society on our planet. You have formed an opinion based on something. I would like to see your criteria so we can discuss 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Which is why the end result, whenever it happens, is becoming more obvious by the day.

Says the guy that swore there would be no football season. You seem so certain despite a lot of evidence suggesting you should not be so certain on subjects. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Yes it does. You say America is “racist” based on some criteria I assume. What was the criteria you used to define that? I’m suggesting you used a very arbitrary criteria based on your political leanings and emotions and not anything logical or even relative to any other culture or society on our planet. You have formed an opinion based on something. I would like to see your criteria so we can discuss 

Prison population, unemployment rate, net worth, child mortality, life expectancy, home ownership, poverty rate.

The list goes on and on.

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

lol yes, the entire UNIVERSITY is being torn asunder

Researchers have forgotten everything they knew! Scholars are now ignorant in their fields! The Tower is literally crumbling! Diplomas are disintegrating!

WILL WE EVER SURVIVE THIS TEMPEST IN A TEAPOT!?

I just hope someday, assuming you are not a troll you have the self awareness to realize how ridiculous you sound on pretty much everything. 

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Prison population, unemployment rate, net worth, child mortality, life expectancy, home ownership, poverty rate.

The list goes on and on.

The US has the best child mortality rate in the world for people of color. And life expectancy too. In terms of poverty, there is nowhere on the planet a black person would rather be than the US. 

Does your list go on to anything that is true? 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 4

58 minutes ago, CDAK said:

I don't know about herpes but syphilis went from new world to old. I think it's the one disease that's been identified that the Europeans brought back from the new world, and then promptly spread everywhere else.

Finally! A topic that every poster is equally experienced to talk about. STD's. 

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

How does black child mortality and black life expectancy compare in America and why are the numbers so disparate?

Because we have a statue of Abraham Lincoln on our campus and we see sing The Eyes of Texas, obviously. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The song made its debut at a minstrel show. It's an open question whether that performance was made in black-face. Those are both value neutral facts that in my opinion are relevant. 

Now, I know reading gets very hard when you are so defensive and skittish, but if you would have made it to the very next sentence I said: 

Lulz, “open question” means you don’t have any fucking evidence. 

30 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The band has very much put themselves in the mix now and this could have been avoided by a simple decree that you show up and play  or turn in the uniform.  Go back to the article they said half the band didn't want to participate and then made it about the whole band by bring up the lack of instrumentation (whatever the fuck that means) to cancel their whole appearance.  

It’s nice they want their voices heard...would be a lot nicer if they wanted their flutes, tubas, and saxophones heard.  

But I’ve got a head injury or five from BoomerSooner so what do I know...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Why do you think UT admin isn't doing this?

Because the UT Administration doesn't want to look like a bunch a meanies during this time of Covid and social unrest.

I realize I'm 48 and an "old fart" to some on here.....  But yes you are going to get a back in the day reference here, so get ready.

When I played sports and if someone refused to participate in practice or follow the rules, they were asked to turn in their equipment and shown the door.   Some were maybe allowed to come back only after they stewed in their tears and realized they were idiots...   and then did bear crawls until the didn't have skin on their hands or ran miles around the track or court.   Then maybe they got ride the pine or stand on the sideline until they showed they got a clue.

Today this is not done.   You still have HALF of the band ( 150 to 200) members who don't have an issue playing 'The Eyes", but the administration bends over to maybe a minority to even split of the band and takes their side when they should have just said turn in your shit and we are moving on with the rest of the band.  The University set the rules here saying the song is here to stay and will played at athletic events.   

Controversy ended.   The members who don't want to play it don't have to and are pacified while the members who do get to play it.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The main UT admin literally said the song isn’t going anywhere so idk why the hell you’re still trying to even talk at this point. 

I will also reconfirm from what I heard from Pres. Hartzell this afternoon that The Eyes of Texas isn't going anywhere.  And apparently some of the football players are going to talk to various members of the band today to get everyone back on the same page.

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

When I played sports and if someone refused to participate in practice or follow the rules, they were asked to turn in their equipment and shown the door.   Some were maybe allowed to come back only after they stewed in their tears and realized they were idiots...   

Today this is not done.   

yes yes yes the usual complete and total garbage about how kids these days blah blah blah you're a tougher man than these punk kids yeah yeah we are SUPER impressed

Also, you're 48, not 90. Calm down with the "I'm an old man here" thing. We're all old.

The members who don't want to play it don't have to and are pacified while the members who do get to play it.  

Yeah, the administration handled it in a calm way without drawing some unnecessary line in the sand and escalating it. Do you think they are wrong for doing this or should they have forced all band members and football players who object to withdraw?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

And apparently some of the football players are going to talk to various members of the band today to get everyone back on the same page.

I imagine it will go something like this:

HEY - You are fuck all important and can be replaced.  So play the goddamn song and quit acting like the self important little dorks that you are.  

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

It's not all that complex. 

If you want to raise attention to the checkered history of the song, use your platform (instablogs) and broadcast your opinion.  The same way people make annual reminders that Chris Columbus killed a whole lotta men and gave their women Old World Herpes.  Done.  Everyone nods tacitly.

As opposed to:

"Changes regarding the injun community at UT

*The replacement of Burnt Orange with a new color without racist undertones [due to tenuous reason here]

*Lifting the requirement of athletes to wear the color"

There.  The university cant use it anymore and we refuse to wear it.... but you fans can wear burnt orange if you want !!!

^We don't even need the media to sensationalize things anymore, we do it all by ourselves.

33 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Because this issue isn't going to go away.

DD says as he furiously masturbates to every news article that’s posted on Twitter about The Eyes. 

I think bad teammate has some decent enough points regarding the issue, but you’re bringing absolutely NOTHING to the conversation by posting dumbass shit like this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Lulz, “open question” means you don’t have any fucking evidence. 

Haha, that's not what it means you dolt.

It was written and performed for a minstrel show. Most of the skits and songs performed in minstrel shows were performed in black-face but not necessarily all of them. There is circumstantial evidence that it was performed in blackface but there doesn't seem to be any contemporary reporting on this detail either way, hence, open question.

52 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I guess you must have missed the 2020 memo that got sent out? Maybe look at the bullet points where they mention a George Floyd.

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

It was written and performed for a minstrel show. Most of the skits and songs performed in minstrel shows were performed in black-face but not necessarily all of them. There is circumstantial evidence that it was performed in blackface but there doesn't seem to be any contemporary reporting on this detail either way, hence, open question.

So, still no evidence. Ok, just wanted to make sure. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

suck my cock while I sing eyes of Texas. You beta liberal cucks

It's OK, man. It gets better.

1 minute ago, Istian said:

DD says as he furiously masturbates to every news article that’s posted on Twitter about The Eyes.

I won't speak to how DD gets his rocks off, but to just assume this ends the issue forever is... optimistic.

My HOPE is that our administration has been acting the 180 degree opposite of our howling moron fanbase and has been building bridges to the students with concerns and has, through mature leadership, created an environment of unity. By creating that environment FIRST, then the administration can say "The Eyes is staying" knowing that the players are already bought in and we all move forward confident that the unity is real and not just something that came from on high.

What actually happens remains to be seen.

- Will Herman make all the players stand if this unity is actually just top-down command?
- Will they do it even if he tells them they have to?
- Will they kneel or otherwise signal objection?
- Will future Longhorns see this differently and behave differently?
- Will the more snowflake alumni among us be happy with the athletes' presence or will they start demanding more eager and open participation?

Maybe it's just over now. I have my doubts.

Just now, Michael Knight said:
3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I have read it was performed in a minstrel show but I haven’t read anywhere that it was written specifically for a minstrel show. 

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

yes yes yes the usual complete and total garbage about how kids these days blah blah blah you're a tougher man than these punk kids yeah yeah we are SUPER impressed

Also, you're 48, not 90. Calm down with the "I'm an old man here" thing. We're all old.

Yeah, the administration handled it in a calm way without drawing some unnecessary line in the sand and escalating it. Do you think they are wrong for doing this or should they have forced all band members and football players who object to withdraw?

No they didn't....   If so the statements put out yesterday and today would have not been necessary.   

The affirmation was done a few months ago the song was here to stay.   It should have been dictated to the band that when they were allowed to participate in game activates again, they would be expected to play it.   Then and only then if X number of band members didn't want to play it, the rules should have been implicit they would surrender their place in the band from this point forward.  But they were not read this and here we are arguing this and the University President to his credit reaffirmed the song and the BOR backed him up.

A club or team if you will is something you join because one part works with another to accomplish a goal. If one or more of those parts don't work or don't want to put in the work to make it function, then you let them go.  If you don't, you get chaos and lack of direction or worse, a dead organization.  

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, bad_teammate said:

It's OK, man. It gets better.

I won't speak to how DD gets his rocks off, but to just assume this ends the issue forever is... optimistic.

My HOPE is that our administration has been acting the 180 degree opposite of our howling moron fanbase and has been building bridges to the students with concerns and has, through mature leadership, created an environment of unity. By creating that environment FIRST, then the administration can say "The Eyes is staying" knowing that the players are already bought in and we all move forward confident that the unity is real and not just something that came from on high.

What actually happens remains to be seen.

- Will Herman make all the players stand if this unity is actually just top-down command?
- Will they do it even if he tells them they have to?
- Will they kneel or otherwise signal objection?
- Will future Longhorns see this differently and behave differently?
- Will the more snowflake alumni among us be happy with the athletes' presence or will they start demanding more eager and open participation?

Maybe it's just over now. I have my doubts.

I bet this video makes you so mad. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

A club or team if you will is something you join because one part works with another to accomplish a goal. If one or more of those parts don't work or don't want to put in the work to make it function, then you let them go.  If you don't, you get chaos and lack of direction or worse, a dead organization.  

I think the objecting players and band members would say that their goal was to make the organization work.

The UT System Board of Regents took a proactive step Thursday to shield new University of Texas president Jay Hartzell from “The Eyes of Texas” hailstorm and left no doubt it will remain the Longhorns’ school song.

Regents chairman Kevin Eltife reiterated the board’s approval of Hartzell’s announcement that “The Eyes” will remain the university song even though some band members are now refusing to play it.

“To be clear, the UT System Board of Regents stands unequivocally and unanimously in support of President Hartzell’s announcement that The Eyes of Texas is, and will remain, the official school song,” Eltife said in a statement.

Each member of the UT System Board of Regents is appointed by the Texas state governor. It’s well known that Gov. Greg Abbott is a Longhorn fan. Collectively, the regents are the highest-ranking authoritative body within the statewide university system.

“The Eyes of Texas has been UT Austin’s official school song for almost 120 years,” Eltife said in his statement. “It has been performed at most official events — celebratory or solemn — and sung by proud alumni and students for generations as a common bond of the UT family. It is a longstanding symbol of The University’s academic and athletic achievements in its pursuit of excellence.”

The regents also support Hartzell’s announced plan to engage in ongoing dialogue within the university community about the song’s origin and meaning. Hartzell has asked a campus committee to prepare study about the song’s origins. The group is expected to have its work completed by January.

Controversy over “The Eyes” moved to another level Wednesday when it was discovered the Longhorn Band will not play during Saturday’s game against Baylor.

Band director Scott Hanna told band members the group did not have the “necessary instrumentation, so we will not participate in Saturday’s game.” Too many band members now feel uncomfortable playing a song that dates back to the early 1900s and was first performed at a minstrel show.

Without the band present, UT officials are likely to keep playing recorded fight songs and “The Eyes” from the stadium speakers.

https://www.hookem.com/texas-longhorns/20201022/texas-regents-eyes-texas-will-remain-official-school-song?utm_source=web_push&utm_medium=referral

• Like 1