Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

19 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:
21 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I have read it was performed in a minstrel show but I haven’t read anywhere that it was written specifically for a minstrel show. 

I think this is good question if we are allowed to  talk with nuance/subtlety at all. From the Texas Monthly piece: 

The two students decided to tweak the lyrics to more explicitly pay homage to Prather’s catchphrase. Johnson suggested that they set the lyrics to the tune of “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad,” and they eyed an annual campus minstrel show on May 12, 1903, as the right time to debut it, since there would be a large audience, including President Prather. These minstrel shows, which went on until the sixties, were fund-raisers organized by students and featured white performers singing and dancing in blackface. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/ut-austin-eyes-of-texas-song-racist/

Now, does eyeing the minstrel as the perfect venue for the song mean it was written "for" the show with the idea that it was a minstrel act or is it simply that those guys wanted to get maximum exposure for the song and the annual minstrel show was the biggest deal in town at the time. Maybe it was a combination of the two? If it was just about exposure does that completely let them off the hook for the choice of venue?

I honestly don't know and no living person on either side of this does either. My entire fucking point is that this is nuanced discussion and anyone outright dismissing the POSSIBILITY that the EOT now has some complicated racial politics to navigate is not being intellectually honest with themselves or this board. 

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

My entire fucking point is that this is nuanced discussion and anyone outright dismissing the POSSIBILITY that the EOT now has some complicated racial politics to navigate is not being intellectually honest with themselves or this board. 

You and I and DD are in agreement with the BoR and UT President and Athletic Department administration that the song does, in fact, involve complicated racial politics.

The regents also support Hartzell’s announced plan to engage in ongoing dialogue within the university community about the song’s origin and meaning. Hartzell has asked a campus committee to prepare study about the song’s origins. The group is expected to have its work completed by January.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

DD and BT right now because they cant create shit out of thin air to grieve about

No, soon it will be revealed to them that the "marching" part of the band dates back to military band events and synchronized marching while playing.  The same military that was segregated for so long and used to oppress peoples across the globe.  The arm of fascism.  The instrument of oppression. The tool of subjugation and invasion.  Bands, whos very sound helped coordinate soldiers on the battlefield.  

They shouted phrases such as "about" face!  About, has 5 letters.  BLACK also has five letter!  So what they really mean, is coded language for BLACK FACE!  

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You and I and DD are in agreement with the BoR and UT President and Athletic Department administration that the song does, in fact, involve complicated racial politics.

The regents also support Hartzell’s announced plan to engage in ongoing dialogue within the university community about the song’s origin and meaning. Hartzell has asked a campus committee to prepare study about the song’s origins. The group is expected to have its work completed by January.

Selectively choosing to ignore the part where it isn’t going anywhere and the verbiage used. Cringe. 

Regents chairman Kevin Eltife reiterated the board’s approval of Hartzell’s announcement that “The Eyes” will remain the university song even though some band members are now refusing to play it.

“To be clear, the UT System Board of Regents stands unequivocally and unanimously in support of President Hartzell’s announcement that The Eyes of Texas is, and will remain, the official school song,” Eltife said in a statement.”

Edited by BurntOrange&White

28 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Without the band present, UT officials are likely to keep playing recorded fight songs and “The Eyes” from the stadium speakers.

However, upon further investigation, it was revealed that half of the stadium speakers refuse to play the song, so it will be broadcast in mono only.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, David Dennison said:

It isn't until it is.

Regents chairman Kevin Eltife reiterated the board’s approval of Hartzell’s announcement that “The Eyes” will remain the university song even though some band members are now refusing to play it.

“To be clear, the UT System Board of Regents stands unequivocally and unanimously in support of President Hartzell’s announcement that The Eyes of Texas is, and will remain, the official school song,” Eltife said in a statement.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Selectively choosing to ignore the part where it isn’t going anywhere and the verbiage used. Cringe. 

No, I saw that. What commentary did you want from me on it? I don't personally object to the song and I haven't called for its removal. So... ?

If UT admin has managed to reassure the players regarding the ultimate unifying purpose of The Eyes and the players feel that this unifying purpose outweighs its racially problematic past, then that's a win.

UT admin is acknowledging the song's racially problematic past, continues dialogue with concerned student groups, and is conducting a historical study on the song involving faculty who aren't just going to rubber stamp. This is indicative of mature leadership capable of governing a system like ours and managing a diverse population without being thin-skinned crybabies.

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They shouted phrases such as "about" face!  About, has 5 letters.  BLACK also has five letter!  So what they really mean, is coded language for BLACK FACE! 

Would be cool if you guys kept your racial grievance politics out of Football.

2 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

If you perform in a minstrel show but you’re not in blackface is it still racist 

Yes.

I think we have to acknowledge the racist origins of the song but use that as a launching point and lesson that origins can be overcome. We can reclaim it from those days and continue forward with its deeper meaning.

But we have to make that truly resonate with students today and not just swing the authority dick around and pretend that will solve the problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

“To be clear, the UT System Board of Regents stands unequivocally and unanimously in support of President Hartzell’s announcement that The Eyes of Texas is, and will remain, the official school song,” Eltife said in a statement.

The fact that this statement needs to be made should be an indication of just how far we are from resolving this issue.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

No, I saw that. What commentary did you want from me on it? I don't personally object to the song and I haven't called for its removal. So... ?

If UT admin has managed to reassure the players regarding the ultimate unifying purpose of The Eyes and the players feel that this unifying purpose outweighs its racially problematic past, then that's a win.

UT admin is acknowledging the song's racially problematic past, continues dialogue with concerned student groups, and is conducting a historical study on the song involving faculty who aren't just going to rubber stamp. This is indicative of mature leadership capable of governing a system like ours and managing a diverse population without being thin-skinned crybabies.

Yes.

I think we have to acknowledge the racist origins of the song but use that as a launching point and lesson that origins can be overcome. We can reclaim it from those days and continue forward with its deeper meaning.

But we have to make that truly resonate with students today and not just swing the authority dick around and pretend that will solve the problem.

stay mad

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The fact that this statement needs to be made should be an indication of just how far we are from resolving this issue.

Who is surprised you’re now trying to move goal post. 

stay mad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Who is surprised you’re now trying to move goal post. 

stay mad. 

No one is moving the goal posts.

This issue surrounding the Eyes of Texas isn't going away no matter how many statements the administration makes. It will continue to be a headache from here on out.

No one is moving the goal posts.

This issue surrounding the Eyes of Texas isn't going away no matter how many statements the administration makes. It will continue to be a headache from here on out.

The headaches will probably remain.   

But there is no "probably" about the song staying.   

53 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's OK, man. It gets better.

I won't speak to how DD gets his rocks off, but to just assume this ends the issue forever is... optimistic.

My HOPE is that our administration has been acting the 180 degree opposite of our howling moron fanbase and has been building bridges to the students with concerns and has, through mature leadership, created an environment of unity. By creating that environment FIRST, then the administration can say "The Eyes is staying" knowing that the players are already bought in and we all move forward confident that the unity is real and not just something that came from on high.

What actually happens remains to be seen.

- Will Herman make all the players stand if this unity is actually just top-down command?
- Will they do it even if he tells them they have to?
- Will they kneel or otherwise signal objection?
- Will future Longhorns see this differently and behave differently?
- Will the more snowflake alumni among us be happy with the athletes' presence or will they start demanding more eager and open participation?

Maybe it's just over now. I have my doubts.

I won't disagree. This doesn't end it - if for no other reason than the fact that there's not even an illusion of compromise, just an ultimatum. I was just pointing out the obvious (to me) glee that DD posts with anytime he talks about doing away with it altogether. It brings nothing to the discussion. 

Just now, Istian said:

I won't disagree. This doesn't end it - if for no other reason than the fact that there's not even an illusion of compromise, just an ultimatum. I was just pointing out the obvious (to me) glee that DD posts with anytime he talks about doing away with it altogether. It brings nothing to the discussion. 

I don't care one way or another. If they keep it, I'm fine with that. If they get rid of it, I'm fine with that.

I have an opinion on what will happen, though. I think that the school will eventually drop the song as its alma mater. When? That remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, Istian said:

The compromise was agreeing to the other 95% of things brought up during the committee meeting. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The compromise was agreeing to the other 95% of things brought up during the committee meeting. 

I'm following you. I'm also under the impression that everything else on the list besides the song was really just filler - the issue seems to be the song and the song only. The group of athletes/students that put the requested changes together initially knew that no sane person/organization would deny anything else on the list. 

Not necessarily. Don't confused UT's administration with the completely useless idiots here.

They already commissioned a scholarly report on The Eyes. The chairman of that committee is Richard Reddick... this guy...

richard_reddick_2621_thumb.jpg

We aren't run by idiots like BOW, and thank god for that. Given what we know of the song's origin it shouldn't be that hard to actually win everyone over to it and move forward. Any vaguely competent leader could accomplish it given time and patience, and I think Hartzell and CDC can make that happen without much of a fuss. Idiots like BOW and his many dim clones here will make their jobs more difficult, of course.

------------------

You are correct that this isn't new or particularly insightful from Hartzell. This has been their position for a long time.

Note: "The Eyes of Texas will continue to be our alma mater" from Jay Hartzell in July 2020

And we all know how cowed the players were by this.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Not necessarily. Don't confused UT's administration with the completely useless idiots here.

They already commissioned a scholarly report on The Eyes. The chairman of that committee is Richard Reddick... this guy...

We aren't run by idiots like BOW, and thank god for that. Given what we know of the song's origin it shouldn't be that hard to actually win everyone over to it and move forward. Any vaguely competent leader could accomplish it given time and patience, and I think Hartzell and CDC can make that happen without much of a fuss. Idiots like BOW and his many dim clones here will make their jobs more difficult, of course.

------------------

You are correct that this isn't new or particularly insightful from Hartzell. This has been their position for a long time.

Note: "The Eyes of Texas will continue to be our alma mater" from Jay Hartzell in July 2020

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

------------------

So because we disagree with you and your opinion,  we are useless idiots....

Edited by Nueces River Rat

10 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

So because we disagree with you and your opinion,  we are useless idiots....

20 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If any current LHB members read this.   Go eat a sack of dicks. 

19 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

At least someone has balls and dick as far a decision makers .   Herman, CDC and the  band director are mere Eunuchs.  This might be a good sign when it comes to making a decision on Toms employment. 

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If one of you who thinks the band  and/or athletes is in the right by throwing their temper tantrum can point out the racist language in these lyrics,   I will take off my underwear and eat it on a live video feed.     Go ahead!

Got him me bro! (I went ahead and included the classic FIFY joke BabaYaga has coming about me and BL being the same poster)

6 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

As someone very on the fence on this issue, it's striking that the general populace on here seems willing to say:

Fuck the football team

Fuck the band

Fuck the professors

Fuck the administration

Fuck the students

But willing to go to war over a song. 

I don't want the song to go away, but I'm pretty surprised at the willingness to cast aside basically every core component of the University over it.  I'm not going to get into a back and forth on who is right or wrong because honestly I don't know on this issue.  Just surprised at the responses.

I think it is the entitled attitude of those on campus.  They act as if they have more ownership to this song & school than we do.  So if they want to ruin it then we might as well just blow the whole thing up so there is nothing left. 

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes.

So you honestly think everyone that performed in a minstrel show was racist?  That’s a huge blanket statement you’re putting out there

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

It's not my war. I honestly couldn't care less one way or the other.

I just think it will end in a way you won't like.

I don't care if I'm right or wrong. 

Then just post your opinion once and then let it be, if you don't really care. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's not my war. I honestly couldn't care less one way or the other.

I just think it will end in a way you won't like.

I don't care if I'm right or wrong. 

You know, you’ve said this repeatedly. “I don’t care what happens” blah blah. It sure the fuck seems like you care. Cut the bullshit - this shit is like a never ending edging exercise that ends in some weird tantric prolonged orgasm for you. In your mind it does anyway. 

Edited by Istian
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Istian said:

You know, you’ve said this repeatedly. “I don’t care what happens” blah blah. It sure the fuck seems like you care. Cut the bullshit - this shit is like a never ending edging exercise that ends in some weird tantric prolonged orgasm for you. 

Oh, sweetie, that's called trolling.

• Fuck You 2