Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Because owning slaves is morally fucking wrong? Unlike singing an inherently non-racist song that happened to be sung by some idiots in a minstrel show.  I don't really see the comparison.

So the players are wrong and that video is wrong in thinking that song represents a racists past? Why that was easy. Why doesn't someone just tell the players that?

Hey players, that song isn't racist. Now go play to entertain me!

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

CDC won't be able to use the "tradition" excuse for why we haven't changed the uniforms. Get ready. If we're entering this brave new world of letting these young men dictate the program then that will be the next shoe to drop. 

The UT uniform Orange was created by a man who’s father was a racist.  Something like that?

I say if you get rid of “The Eyes,” you don’t replace it at all.  Just get off the field.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

So the players are wrong and that video is wrong in thinking that song represents a racists past? Why that was easy. Why doesn't someone just tell the players that?

Hey players, that song isn't racist. Now go play to entertain me!

So instead we say there we changed the song now go play to entertain me? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Look at all these supposedly grown men crying on the internet over a fucking song. If our black athletes don't like the song then get rid of it, who gives a fuck it's a song, holy shit.

What a bunchy of whiny ass babies. "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DON'T TAKE MY SONG, WAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

JFC

What if our black athletes don't like the school colors? Or the logo? And why are you only concerned about black students atheltes? Seems racist

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's like the concept of growth is lost on some of you. There's a reason why change is slow. Because old white people are fucking set in their ways. Because to you tradition is more important than being inconvenienced to sing a new song which doesn't offend the players on the field play the sport that you are so fanatic about. This is exactly like what Tom Herman said about the players vs the old white fans. Are the players only purpose to satisfy your entertainment? Do their voices and the value as people not matter? Or do they only matter up to the point where you are inconvenienced?

I mean I watch football for entertainment. I don’t give a shit about their voices or value as people. I don’t know any of these people personally So why would I care? I care about the people I know and care about. If you say otherwise then you’re just a self-righteous person who in my estimation is full of shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 21

Just now, Luka Skywalker said:

I mean I watch football for entertainment. I don’t give a shit about their voices or value as people. I don’t know any of these people personally So why would I care? I care about the people I know and care about. If you say otherwise then you’re just a self-righteous person who in my estimation is full of shit.

Lol holllllyyyyy shit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

giphy.gif

Yeah, the players are aware of this. So is Tom Herman. 

Edited by mdmost

2 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

giphy.gif

Seriously though, this is, like, basic fucking humanity you're flunking here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

it's because they are black, isn't it? 

3 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

And there we have it. 

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

I say FUCK Robert Lee Moore Hall, even before knowing about the racist man behind its name.  Many, many a miserable hour spent in that shithole.

I knew the building as the "PMA" (Physics/Math/Astronomy) during my undergrad years (1972-1975) ... don't really know when it was changed to RLM.

I couldn’t give two fucks about the song. And if it bothers you that much, go root for Aggy, they love tradition for tradition sake. The only tradition that should never be ceded is the tradition of excellence in all facets of the university. 

I would also say the winning tradition but the players and coaches ceded that a long time ago 

• Like 7

Y'all need to be expanding the narrative. This isn't about just Texas, it's the whole fucking racist country.

Best way to start is with the major capitalist conspiracy, money. Throw out the slave-owners, and all you got is Hamilton and Grant. The rest gotta go. Keep your $10 and $50 bills, and send the rest to me. I will send you back double your money in New American currency. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

If you pull a donor's name off a building, the money should be returned to the donor's family with interest.

You do realize that most of these buildings are not named after donors, right?

The thing is nobody paid attention or even knew about this until recently. If we found out the inventor of electricity was a racist slave owner how many would stop using electricity. It’s the freakin past, learn from it and move on. How about all the white, black and other ethnic students that want to sing the song. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, shakahorn said:

It could just be a negotiating tactic. Ask for 20 things and settle on 10.  And the 10 you give up, they are more important to the "other" side than your side.

It is interesting as how many people are arguing about the other demands. Those are all really good (better than the UT Senate, but that's to be expected), though they may need some minor tweaks (e.g. where they are donating the 0.5% from UT Athletics). It is a great thing that they are actually using their voice during this moment, even if I really disagree about the Eyes. 

7 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

telling the children "no" would go a long way toward restoring the natural order of things, but it's pretty out of favor at this point

To the black young men, or children as you refer to them, I bet you would lead off with, "Son, ...."

1 minute ago, Burntcowboy said:

The thing is nobody paid attention or even knew about this until recently. If we found out the inventor of electricity was a racist slave owner how many would stop using electricity. It’s the freakin past, learn from it and move on. How about all the white, black and other ethnic students that want to sing the song. 

These types of tasks are just horrible. Like, embarrassingly bad takes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Everyone will be ok without the silly little song, I promise

Can't really have the first without the second