Hispanic Houston man found hanging from a tree

Pancho

19 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

It came from the Irish. Whisky is the Scottish spelling.* Both versions are an attempt to spell Gaelic "uisce" (water) which is short for uisce beatha (sounds like wisky bay-ha) which was booze and meant Water of Life. Beatha being cognate w/Spanish Vida because Celtic and Italic split up last week, in geological terms.

Don't know the exact spelling, but Doo-ill mo fa-yin is Irish Gaelic for "lick my vagina." With that and some whiskey, you're pretty much set.

*Begged question: why do we use the Irish instead of the Scottish spelling? Probably a coin flip. I doubt a good old timey whiskey-maker spent much time reading and writing. 

Ironic but I just read about the spelling differences in a magazine article a few days ago.  Apparently it's really because we Irish can't spell for shit, lulz

Srsly, also:

• Whisky (no e) refers to Scottish, Canadian, or Japanese grain spirits.
  • Whiskey (with an e) refers to grain spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States.
Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Might have to check it out.

Do you have an OK desktop computer and a Steam account? Strongly recommend the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions as a starting point. They'll be a little overwhelming if you're completely naive to the rules and gameplay, but they're worth the effort.

Steam summer sale will start in another week or two, so that would probably be the best time to pick up the series. They are 20 years old now, but they've been remastered for modern resolutions. Absolutely great games.

21 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Do you have an OK desktop computer and a Steam account? Strongly recommend the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions as a starting point. They'll be a little overwhelming if you're completely naive to the rules and gameplay, but they're worth the effort.

Steam summer sale will start in another week or two, so that would probably be the best time to pick up the series. They are 20 years old now, but they've been remastered for modern resolutions. Absolutely great games.

Lol, I don't even have internet at home.  Of course I'm never there anyway.

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

There is no walking back of comments when I never said lynching. This is something that you're making up in your mind to make yourself sound right.  It's pretty disturbing.

@Pancho "There is video on social media of the Houston lynching.  I cannot bring myself to post it. 

I’m editing this post because the above isn’t clear:  There’s a video of the body hanging, not of the act itself." <<you're referring to the lynching here as well.

Not really sure how much more you can be lying when this was your post ^^^^.  Did you delete it and think, well that's gone....  Not even sure why you'd lie about it. You've made it an issue because you kept denying you used the term.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I was thinking pencil and paper.

9 hours ago, BradInATX said:

They are only providing a product that there is demand for.

The product is the education system and the lack of critical thinking skills. As a population, it's our fault for:

1) Not holding the news organizations that jump the gun responsible for reporting incorrect facts

2) Not immediately questioning, looking for additional confirming sources, or viewing breaking hot takes with a very critical eye until we have reasonable confirmation that they're true

Social media hot take artists and journalists reporting breaking stories irresponsibly are not the disease; they are the symptom. We are the disease. If there was not a market for that kind of thing, they wouldn't exist.

As a member of the fourth estate of long standing, I resent the implication that any of us jumped the gun on this story. As near as I can tell the whole lynching narrative came from Bishop Dorsey, a dude with a camera and a mouth, who was too chickenshit to walk up close enough to the swinging corpse to verify it's race before damn near turning my neighborhood into a target for legitimate rioting. 

4 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Wait, why would there be blood under him, Coordinator? Did he use something besides a rope? Oh man, I feel so bad for his family and friends. RIP guy. 

I've been made to understand that it might not have been blood. Somebody with experience in these matters told me that people who hang themselves evacuate when they expire, and we are not talking a little poo or pee-pee, but everything they've got inside them. So what I imagine is that the suicide victim was wearing long pants and the stains on the ground were what collected underneath him after running down his legs...Here still 24 hours later that smell of rotting flesh is in my nose and he was cut down hours before I got there. I don't understand how death can linger so long after the departed is gone. 

6 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

One of the leading proponents for criminal justice reform has issues related to a federal crime being overly broad.  Has nothing to the with party - everything to due with trying limit the unintended consequences of another federal crime law.  

Yeah, I don't have that much of a problem with a lynching law, if it didn't violate all kinds of existing laws.

But, I am highly suspicious when a new criminal law is enacted at the federal level.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Ironic but I just read about the spelling differences in a magazine article a few days ago.  Apparently it's really because we Irish can't spell for shit, lulz

Srsly, also:

• Whisky (no e) refers to Scottish, Canadian, or Japanese grain spirits.
  • Whiskey (with an e) refers to grain spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States.

the-more-you-know

• Haha 1

Add a black teenager from my HS.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/black-teenager-hanged-school-texas/

video shows it was a suicide, apparently. Is there some kind of conversation around pacts that are taking place? Or is this normal and no one takes about it before because we weren’t facing a racial crisis and come to Jesus as a country?

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

video shows it was a suicide, apparently. Is there some kind of conversation around pacts that are taking place? Or is this normal and no one takes about it before because we weren’t facing a racial crisis and come to Jesus as a country?

Copycat suicide clustering is a thing

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Suffocation/hanging is the second most used method to commit suicide 

Edited by EuroHorn

20 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

It came from the Irish. Whisky is the Scottish spelling.* Both versions are an attempt to spell Gaelic "uisce" (water) which is short for uisce beatha (sounds like wisky bay-ha) which was booze and meant Water of Life. Beatha being cognate w/Spanish Vida because Celtic and Italic split up last week, in geological terms.

Don't know the exact spelling, but Doo-ill mo fa-yin is Irish Gaelic for "lick my vagina." With that and some whiskey, you're pretty much set.

*Begged question: why do we use the Irish instead of the Scottish spelling? Probably a coin flip. I doubt a good old timey whiskey-maker spent much time reading and writing. 

pay up george wendt GIF

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Are you sure?  Hugo ensured us that the AA community doesn’t commit suicide.  And if a few slip up and do, it’s definitely not by hanging. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Oops.

"'Nooses' in Oakland park were exercise aids, man says

Oakland’s mayor says five ropes found hanging from trees in a city park are nooses and racially-charged symbols of terror but a resident says he put them up simply for exercise"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/nooses-oakland-park-exercise-aids-man-71314468

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland’s mayor said five ropes found hanging from trees in a city park are nooses and racially-charged symbols of terror but a resident said they are merely exercise equipment that he put up there months ago.

Mayor Libby Schaaf said Wedesday that a hate crime investigation was under way after a social media post identified a noose at the city’s popular Lake Merritt. Police said they searched the area on Tuesday and found five ropes attached to trees. 

The Police Department provided five photographs of trees, some of which showed knotted ropes and one that appeared to have a piece of plastic pipe attached to a rope, hanging from tree limbs. 

They have been removed by city officials.

Victor Sengbe, who is black, told KGO-TV that the ropes were part of a rigging that he and his friends used as part of a larger swing system. He also shared video of the swing in use.

“Out of the dozen and hundreds and thousands of people that walked by, no one has thought that it looked anywhere close to a noose. Folks have used it for exercise. It was really a fun addition to the park that we tried to create,” Sengbe said. 

“It’s unfortunate that a genuine gesture of just wanting to have a good time got misinterpreted into something so heinous,” he told the station.

Nooses have been associated with the lynching of black people and used as symbols to taunt or terrorize African Americans.

Schaaf said officials must “start with the assumption that these are hate crimes.” However, the mayor and Nicholas Williams, the city’s director of parks recreation, also said it didn’t matter whether the ropes were meant to send a racist message.

“Intentions don’t matter when it comes to terrorizing the public,” Schaaf said. “It is incumbent on all of us to know the actual history of racial violence, of terrorism, that a noose represents and that we as a city must remove these terrorizing symbols from the public view.”

“The symbolism of the rope hanging in the tree is malicious regardless of intent. It’s evil, and it symbolizes hatred,” Williams said.

Police said several community members came forward during their initial investigation to say the ropes were used for exercise and a man came forward to say he put them up several months ago. 

The department said it is conducting a full investigation and had notified the FBI.

“We remind and ask our community to be mindful when using this equipment in a recreational manner. These acts may send an unintended message,” the police statement said. “We recognize especially at this time, that any ropes on or attached to trees, limbs or other objects can be associated with hate crimes and racial violence.”

1 hour ago, SDG said:

Oops.

Oakland’s mayor says five ropes found hanging from trees in a city park are nooses and racially-charged symbols of terror but a resident says he put them up simply for exercise"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/nooses-oakland-park-exercise-aids-man-71314468

Wtf. We are living in crazy world 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SDG said:

Oops.

6C1AF1B3-FD9D-4D64-A0BA-1DD2F9B8F6C6.jpeg

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 2

The radical right wing cabal on surly has been waiting for the day to neg me into Boliva.  I have given them the thread to do so.
16 negs by Klan Johnny Sack.
23 negs by struggle bus
I shall celebrate this by pouring a glass of Rebel Yell—neat. 

Shame on you, you can’t drink that anymore. It’s only for non-woke racists and blacks like me.

You should be drinking Virginia Black.
  • Like 5

On 6/17/2020 at 8:40 AM, Axiom of Choice said:

Sadly, it is normal.  Some rough numbers:

-Around 50,000 suicides a year In the US

-Suicide rate has been on the rise for the last 20 years

-hanging is popular method, accounting for around 20-25% of suicides  

-Males are almost 4 times as likely to commit suicide  

-white males are highest at risk group, account for almost 70% of suicides in the US.

-black males are less likely to commit suicide than white males, but still a fairly high risk group and commit a few thousand each year in the US.

Run the numbers, and on average there will be at least 10 suicides by hanging per week in the US by black males.  

Get out of here with all your silly facts!

Oops.

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland’s mayor said five ropes found hanging from trees in a city park are nooses and racially-charged symbols of terror but a resident said they are merely exercise equipment that he put up there months ago.

Mayor Libby Schaaf said Wedesday that a hate crime investigation was under way after a social media post identified a noose at the city’s popular Lake Merritt. Police said they searched the area on Tuesday and found five ropes attached to trees. 

The Police Department provided five photographs of trees, some of which showed knotted ropes and one that appeared to have a piece of plastic pipe attached to a rope, hanging from tree limbs. 

They have been removed by city officials.

Victor Sengbe, who is black, told KGO-TV that the ropes were part of a rigging that he and his friends used as part of a larger swing system. He also shared video of the swing in use.

“Out of the dozen and hundreds and thousands of people that walked by, no one has thought that it looked anywhere close to a noose. Folks have used it for exercise. It was really a fun addition to the park that we tried to create,” Sengbe said. 

“It’s unfortunate that a genuine gesture of just wanting to have a good time got misinterpreted into something so heinous,” he told the station.

Nooses have been associated with the lynching of black people and used as symbols to taunt or terrorize African Americans.

Schaaf said officials must “start with the assumption that these are hate crimes.” However, the mayor and Nicholas Williams, the city’s director of parks recreation, also said it didn’t matter whether the ropes were meant to send a racist message.

“Intentions don’t matter when it comes to terrorizing the public,” Schaaf said. “It is incumbent on all of us to know the actual history of racial violence, of terrorism, that a noose represents and that we as a city must remove these terrorizing symbols from the public view.”

“The symbolism of the rope hanging in the tree is malicious regardless of intent. It’s evil, and it symbolizes hatred,” Williams said.

Police said several community members came forward during their initial investigation to say the ropes were used for exercise and a man came forward to say he put them up several months ago. 

The department said it is conducting a full investigation and had notified the FBI.

“We remind and ask our community to be mindful when using this equipment in a recreational manner. These acts may send an unintended message,” the police statement said. “We recognize especially at this time, that any ropes on or attached to trees, limbs or other objects can be associated with hate crimes and racial violence.”

Schaaf said officials must “start with the assumption that these are hate crimes.”

Seems like those investigating shouldn’t have a conclusion before the investigation.

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Family of one of the Californians claims his death was suicide:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/family-says-malcolm-harsch-died-000120517.html

It’s more than just a claim. This is what they were saying last week

“The explanation of suicide does not seem plausible,” the family wrote. “There are many ways to die, but considering the current racial tension, a Black man hanging himself from a tree definitely doesn’t sit well with us right now.

“We want justice, not comfortable excuses,” they wrote.

Now that police showed them the video of the suicide, they are saying this

In a statement released Friday, the family said Harsch took his own life.

Najee Ali, a community activist and spokesman for Harsch's family, said in the statement that police showed the family "video evidence."

As the investigation into the May 31 death of Harsch continued, detectives obtained surveillance video from a vacant building near where his body was discovered. The video confirmed the absence of foul play, authorities said........

The family wants to sincerely thank everyone for their support and prayers," Ali wrote.

• Like 1

For those keeping score, there have been at least 4 such "lynchings" of black men.

Video evidence has now proven that two were in fact suicides. 

In a third, the man was Hispanic. And his family has readily admitted that he was mentally disturbed and suicidal. 

I get that these events pack a toxic legacy. It's Pavlovian, historically speaking: The sight of a black man hanging from a tree automatically dredges up some of the worst chapters in American history. What I only somewhat understand, and really wish people would quit doing, is actively hoping that these suicides are lynchings, and clinging to that notion even as evidence mounts up to the contrary. Why hope for the worst? 

I mean, was there any point for this article to have been published, other than to stoke paranoia?

Spoiler

Black teen found hanged in Texas school parking lot

Authorities believe the young man committed suicide, while advocates are calling for further investigation.

According to authorities in Harris County, Texas, the body of an African American teenager was found hanging in the parking lot of an elementary school on Tuesday.

Harris County Sheriff’s Office deputies posted on Facebook that they were called to the parking area of a school in the 6600 block of Rosebrook, where a teenaged black male was found deceased.

“Based on security video, witnesses and other evidence, preliminary indications are the male hanged himself,” a Twitter post read. There are currently no signs of foul play and the young man’s name has not been released. The cause of death is pending an autopsy.

On Twitter, users are demanding that authorities release the security footage.

The death of the teenager is the second in the Houston-area. A Hispanic man was found hanged on Monday in what is also being considered a suicide.

Both deaths follow two hangings in southern California, where federal authorities are investigating the death of Robert Fuller in Palmdale and Malcolm Harsch in Victorville.

“The FBI, U.S. Attorney’s office for the Central District of California and the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division are actively reviewing the investigations into the hanging deaths of two African American men in the cities of Palmdale and Victorville to determine whether there are violations of federal law,” the bureau said in a statement.

Social media users continue to discount how Fuller and Harsch died.

“Never in my life have I heard of a man hanging HIMSELF on a tree,” one viral tweet read. “Let alone MULTIPLE BLACK MEN HANGING THEMSELVES ON TREES IN THE SAME WEEK. DURING A CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT. THIS IS NOT COINCIDENCE.”

The hanging deaths have occurred during global unrest over race in the U.S. following weeks of protests against police brutality and systemic racism. The demonstrations were sparked by the death of George Floyd, a Black man, in Minneapolis police custody on May 25.

It freely admits that there is video evidence that this young man hung himself, and that the other Houston victim did the same thing (and was not even Black), and then goes on to tie them in anyway along with the two California cases, one of which has since been resolved. And then to remind everyone about George Floyd. 

And it repeats the common knowledge / received wisdom that "Black men don't do this." There are stats that say otherwise. What I think is true is that the Black community doesn't talk about suicide; it seems to me, an outsider, that suicide is even more taboo in Black culture than White. It is indisputably true that suicide is less prevalent in the Black community, possibly because of that very same taboo. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

For those keeping score, there have been at least 4 such "lynchings" of black men.

Video evidence has now proven that two were in fact suicides. 

In a third, the man was Hispanic. And his family has readily admitted that he was mentally disturbed and suicidal. 

I get that these events pack a toxic legacy. It's Pavlovian, historically speaking: The sight of a black man hanging from a tree automatically dredges up some of the worst chapters in American history. What I only somewhat understand, and really wish people would quit doing, is actively hoping that these suicides are lynchings, and clinging to that notion even as evidence mounts up to the contrary. Why hope for the worst? 

I mean, was there any point for this article to have been published, other than to stoke paranoia?

Reveal hidden contents

Black teen found hanged in Texas school parking lot

Authorities believe the young man committed suicide, while advocates are calling for further investigation.

According to authorities in Harris County, Texas, the body of an African American teenager was found hanging in the parking lot of an elementary school on Tuesday.

Harris County Sheriff’s Office deputies posted on Facebook that they were called to the parking area of a school in the 6600 block of Rosebrook, where a teenaged black male was found deceased.

“Based on security video, witnesses and other evidence, preliminary indications are the male hanged himself,” a Twitter post read. There are currently no signs of foul play and the young man’s name has not been released. The cause of death is pending an autopsy.

On Twitter, users are demanding that authorities release the security footage.

The death of the teenager is the second in the Houston-area. A Hispanic man was found hanged on Monday in what is also being considered a suicide.

Both deaths follow two hangings in southern California, where federal authorities are investigating the death of Robert Fuller in Palmdale and Malcolm Harsch in Victorville.

“The FBI, U.S. Attorney’s office for the Central District of California and the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division are actively reviewing the investigations into the hanging deaths of two African American men in the cities of Palmdale and Victorville to determine whether there are violations of federal law,” the bureau said in a statement.

Social media users continue to discount how Fuller and Harsch died.

“Never in my life have I heard of a man hanging HIMSELF on a tree,” one viral tweet read. “Let alone MULTIPLE BLACK MEN HANGING THEMSELVES ON TREES IN THE SAME WEEK. DURING A CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT. THIS IS NOT COINCIDENCE.”

The hanging deaths have occurred during global unrest over race in the U.S. following weeks of protests against police brutality and systemic racism. The demonstrations were sparked by the death of George Floyd, a Black man, in Minneapolis police custody on May 25.

It freely admits that there is video evidence that this young man hung himself, and that the other Houston victim did the same thing (and was not even Black), and then goes on to tie them in anyway along with the two California cases, one of which has since been resolved. And then to remind everyone about George Floyd. 

And it repeats the common knowledge / received wisdom that "Black men don't do this." There are stats that say otherwise. What I think is true is that the Black community doesn't talk about suicide; it seems to me, an outsider, that suicide is even more taboo in Black culture than White. It is indisputably true that suicide is less prevalent in the Black community, possibly because of that very same taboo. 

Dude. 

Stop with the facts. 

Just be outraged.

• Like 1