Vacationing in times of Covid

LABEVO

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....I have the boy checking on what proof of vax that Germany wants to see.  They ARE letting Americans in with negative test and proof of vaccination, but we're double-checking on what is acceptable proof of vax from Americans.

I have not checked Germany, but I know for Italy, the CDC white card is sufficient.  

In France, you can go get a digital version if you present your CDC white card to a pharmacy.  I hope Italy does that.  I also have proof digitally via New York.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have not checked Germany, but I know for Italy, the CDC white card is sufficient.  

In France, you can go get a digital version if you present your CDC white card to a pharmacy.  I hope Italy does that.  I also have proof digitally via New York.

France has finally created a process for non-EU citizens to get a health pass. The "show your card to a French pharmacist" approach seemed to have a lot of gaps. New process:

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/coronavirus-statements/article/applying-for-a-covid-certificate-if-you-were-vaccinated-abroad-procedure-for

We were there last week, before they had a process, and we were always wondering if we would get turned away because we only had the CDC vaccination cards. We only ended up getting turned away from one restaurant. We were able to go to restaurants, outdoor exhibitions, etc with just the CDC vaccination card. I'm assuming that will change now that they have a process to get the digital health pass.

57 minutes ago, zman13 said:

France has finally created a process for non-EU citizens to get a health pass. The "show your card to a French pharmacist" approach seemed to have a lot of gaps. New process:

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/coronavirus-statements/article/applying-for-a-covid-certificate-if-you-were-vaccinated-abroad-procedure-for

We were there last week, before they had a process, and we were always wondering if we would get turned away because we only had the CDC vaccination cards. We only ended up getting turned away from one restaurant. We were able to go to restaurants, outdoor exhibitions, etc with just the CDC vaccination card. I'm assuming that will change now that they have a process to get the digital health pass.

Thank you for posting that.  I am heading there in January, or at least that is the plan.  Already have my plane ticket to and from London, just need to get my train ticket to Paris.  

Update on Canadian travel, at least.  Daughter successfully returned to Canada.  She had to show proof of vax and negative PCR test, all was well and she sailed through customs.  As she is a student resident, she has also made an appointment to register her vaccination with the province, which will issue her a QR code that functions as a passport for certain public gatherings and businesses.  This is a model that many countries have implemented/are moving towards.

Now, we have another one to get to Germany next week.....fingers crossed......

• Hook 'Em 1

Welp, here we go again.  They meet tomorrow.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-25/eu-will-discuss-thursday-reimposing-travel-restrictions-on-u-s?sref=knoriXqz

I am incredibly pissed off that we have not opened up the US to vaccinated travelers (As I feel that that step would stave this off for a while).  That seems like a major fail on the administration.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am incredibly pissed off that we have not opened up the US to vaccinated travelers (As I feel that that step would stave this off for a while).  That seems like a major fail on the administration.  

The US has completely mishandled anything travel related. 

• Like 1

In 2 1/2 weeks, I'm either getting on a plane to Rome, or being led of in handcuffs. There is no middle ground
That is what is frustrating. We all booked in good faith and NOW they are thinking about changing the rules. So frustrating. However, they do this, they are fucking themselves over as well.

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
11 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:
In 2 1/2 weeks, I'm either getting on a plane to Rome, or being led of in handcuffs. There is no middle ground

That is what is frustrating. We all booked in good faith and NOW they are thinking about changing the rules. So frustrating. However, they do this, they are fucking themselves over as well.

They know this.  Which is why I think they are likely to go the Germany route (which added an additional restriction compared to other EU countries) -- require not just a negative test, but a vaccine, to enter.  That's our hope, at least.

There is no way they want to lose tourism dollars... at least that's what I'm telling myself. We're fully vaccinated, and if they need a negative test as well that's fine. I have zero issues with them telling unvaccinated people to go fuck themselves, regardless of test results. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

There is no way they want to lose tourism dollars... at least that's what I'm telling myself. We're fully vaccinated, and if they need a negative test as well that's fine. I have zero issues with them telling unvaccinated people to go fuck themselves, regardless of test results. 

This is my hope -- that this continues to be not just good policy for Europe and other countries, but a point of separation here.  Want to go anywhere?  Get vaxxed.

Yes, I'm aware that many anti-vaxxers will never travel internationally.  But some will.   And a lot more of them love taking cruises around Florida and whatnot.  The more outfits that can require a COVID vaccine, the more incentive they'll have to eventually break down and get it.  Not nearly enough of them will, but maybe a few more than otherwise would.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

About to leave to go hiking in Arapaho-Roosevelt National Forrest (west of Fort Collins) tomorrow. No covid on the trails.

Me masking on the flying aluminum tube - and that working -,working is the only threat.

Keep your mask on when you hit the dispensary between the airport and the hiking.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I keep F5ing Bloomberg and other news services.  They are meeting in Brussels, right, so they are 6 hours ahead of EST.  Limbo sucks.

I've got "EU travel ban" in my Twitter search and refreshing on a regular basis. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have not seen anything.  It is 8 PM Brussels time.  

I was just coming top post the same thing. If they met, and decided to make a change, we should have heard by now... although I'm looking for anything positive. I guess they could still be meeting, or drafting something. 

Just now, Mo Horn said:

I was just coming top post the same thing. If they met, and decided to make a change, we should have heard by now... although I'm looking for anything positive. I guess they could still be meeting, or drafting something. 

Yeah.  They could still be meeting.  If I remember correctly, 2/3 of members states have to be in favor.  We shall see.

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Or eating fucking fries with mayo.

• Haha 2

Surly we would have heard something by now, if they were going to reinstate the ban. They said they were going to review it every two weeks, so maybe just a regular agenda item that didn't go anywhere, or only meant to put pressure on us to lift our travel ban for vaccinated Europeans, which we should have done long ago. 

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Like 1

I have gone through 5 countries in the EU and near EU in the last 3 months. The CDC paper doc is enough and have 0 hassle with entry.  

the news of regulation is way more than actuality except Austria. Austria is no joke. 

every other country just glances at it, and let’s you go 

Edited by LABEVO

The wife and I are headed to Panama on a fishing trip next week. We were first supposed to go in April 2020 but we kicked the can to April 2021 and then punted again. We are finally going. I'm looking into travel insurance options. I have sold Chubb's Passport 360, which is kind of where I'm falling. Just kicking the tires on other options such as Global Rescue. All I care about is emergency evacuation in the event of a serious injury or other medical emergency as well as maybe some coverage if the wife and I have breakthrough COVID infections while at the lodge. It could get a little spendy if we have to stay 4-5 days extra with a breakthrough case.

Chubb's program is $365 annually for the standard package and $791 annually for the enhanced. I know Global Rescue and others are week-long or 2-week policies and are around $150-$200. Chubb's is good for an entire year no matter how many trips you take (and all family members are covered). We are also supposed to go on a red stag hunt in New Zealand next May if they're letting anybody into the country by then.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

The wife and I are headed to Panama on a fishing trip next week. We were first supposed to go in April 2020 but we kicked the can to April 2021 and then punted again. We are finally going. I'm looking into travel insurance options. I have sold Chubb's Passport 360, which is kind of where I'm falling. Just kicking the tires on other options such as Global Rescue. All I care about is emergency evacuation in the event of a serious injury or other medical emergency as well as maybe some coverage if the wife and I have breakthrough COVID infections while at the lodge. It could get a little spendy if we have to stay 4-5 days extra with a breakthrough case.

Chubb's program is $365 annually for the standard package and $791 annually for the enhanced. I know Global Rescue and others are week-long or 2-week policies and are around $150-$200. Chubb's is good for an entire year no matter how many trips you take (and all family members are covered). We are also supposed to go on a red stag hunt in New Zealand next May if they're letting anybody into the country by then.

I'm glad we both have to sweat insurance decisions.  I'd get the $200 short policy.  Who knows what 2022 is going to look like.  Even if you buy again, you're still ahead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No fucking clue. Sigh. emoji2959.png

Ok. Digging into Twitter, people who on the surface seem to be in the know are saying if they do anything it will only affect unvaccinated, and that it won't be immediate, and will start on a set date. I just need to make it to the 11th, or I guess the 12th since that's when we land. 

• Like 1

Ok. Digging into Twitter, people who on the surface seem to be in the know are saying if they do anything it will only affect unvaccinated, and that it won't be immediate, and will start on a set date. I just need to make it to the 11th, or I guess the 12th since that's when we land. 
I land on the 1st, and I'd be good coming back as I leave Naples on the 12th and Switzerlands rule is where you have been the 10 days prior (so if it changes after thr 1st, I will be in Italy for 10 days).
  • Hook 'Em 1

I flew into Amsterdam a week ago for a Europe bike tour. Immigration guy didn't ask anything about vaccination though the airlines did check my paperwork when checking in.

I'm crossing into Belgium tomorrow on my way to Bruges. I'm a little bit anxious though I've seen nothing online about additional restrictions for Belgium or any other countries.

I have yet to see any updates on anything at this point in time.  At this point, I am assuming that we will be ok since we leave on Tuesday.  Would be hard for anyone to implement any significant changes between now and September 1, which is when we arrive.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

This is their most recent tweet. No restrictions in Slovenia, if you are fully vaccinated. So I'm assuming the discussion either didn't happen, or didn't go anywhere. Can't imagine they'd tweet this and then later tweet that the EU reinstating a travel ban. 

5 hours ago, Orale said:

I flew into Amsterdam a week ago for a Europe bike tour. Immigration guy didn't ask anything about vaccination though the airlines did check my paperwork when checking in.

I'm crossing into Belgium tomorrow on my way to Bruges. I'm a little bit anxious though I've seen nothing online about additional restrictions for Belgium or any other countries.

Let us know about this.  I was thinking of doing Amsterdam, Belgium and then London here in the fall.

Maybe would just apply to unvaccinated travelers?

The European Union on Friday moved to reinstate COVID travel restrictions like quarantine and testing requirements for unvaccinated citizens of the United States and five other countries, two diplomats told Reuters.

EU countries started a procedure to remove the United States from a list of countries whose citizens can travel to the 27-nation bloc without additional COVID restrictions.

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe would just apply to unvaccinated travelers?

Sounds like it.  Perhaps they are saying if you are fully vaxxed, you can travel for any reason.  If unvaccinated, you can only come for certain reasons and you have quarantine and testing requirements.  I would be ok with this.  And the US needs to reciprocate as well.  You have one of the vaccines approved in the US, come on in.  I think we also probably should give an ok on the AstraZeneca vaccine because that was what they rolled out first (and I think AZ is going for full approval in the US rather than EUA).  

We are just going to check each day that we are ok.  I checked this AM, and we are GTG in Switzerland and Italy.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, LABEVO said:

I have gone through 5 countries in the EU and near EU in the last 3 months. The CDC paper doc is enough and have 0 hassle with entry.  

the news of regulation is way more than actuality except Austria. Austria is no joke. 

every other country just glances at it, and let’s you go 

Just got back from Austria and can confirm.  They want to see your vax card or negative test in every restaurant as you sit down, and you fill out a form for contact tracing.

Did not experience any controls at all over land borders though. 

Let us know about this.  I was thinking of doing Amsterdam, Belgium and then London here in the fall.
There was no border control. In fact there was nothing on the bike path indicating I had crossed the border. I only knew because of my biking app map. It could of course be different at airports and on trains. I cross into France Monday so I'll see how that goes. I imagine the same.

In metal tube in the air, trying to get back to New Orleans to enjoy Mother Nature’s Wild Wind Ride. Fuckers in Southwest not serving alcohol. Fuckity-fucking-fuck!!

62b15ac6c019a809cbb51b5c57547c77.jpg
f7b7fd0e2b3bd9a2b2a1e3efe7947d49.jpg
150b9f5e35bf6dfa304bf4efad72b7ff.jpg

Got in a little hiking. 9700 ft kicked my ass when I hit the 400’ elevation rise in a 1/2 mile topo hell. Oh well.

Nice knowing ya.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

Well fuck. I guess the only hope we have now is that Italy will opt to let vaccinated tourists in. Doesn't sound promising. 

They have not done anything yet.  I know Italy was loathe to change anything until after the Venice Film Festival is over (it ends the 11th).  I am hoping that we are still ok, as I would assume once the list is announced on Monday, it would take at least a week to implement by the countries that are going to implement anything.  So I could still be screwed as we arrive on the 1st, but we shall see.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/29/world/europe/eu-us-travel-restrictions.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR2pDAmceHxnc_Kh3YL9DV01ZalfKCLM8YxCqVamqG35xXYWE0fdCW2cc1A

BRUSSELS — The European Union is set to advise member states that they should reintroduce travel restrictions for visitors from the United States, three E.U. officials said on Sunday, as coronavirus infections and hospitalizations have surged in the U.S. in recent weeks.

Starting Monday, the officials said, the United States will be removed from a “safe list” of countries whose residents can travel to the 27-nation bloc without additional restrictions, such as quarantine and testing requirements. The suggested restrictions, made by the European Council, will not be mandatory for member countries, and it will remain up to those countries to decide whether or not to impose them.

Most European countries reopened their borders to Americans in June, more than a year after imposing a travel ban, hoping that Americans would visit this summer and help an ailing tourism industry bounce back.

In essence, the European Union gave the United States a summertime pass to encourage tourism, despite the relatively high infection rates in parts of the country.

The threshold for being on the E.U. “safe travel” list is having fewer than 75 new Covid-19 cases daily per 100,000 people over the previous 14 days. The United States has an infection rate well above that threshold, and Covid hospitalizations in the country climbed above 100,000 last week for the first time since January.

Yet while American tourists were able to travel to Europe this summer, the United States has remained closed to Europeans, drawing anger from Europeans and their leaders, who have expressed frustration at the lack of reciprocity.

Travelers from countries on the safe list can usually visit E.U. countries without quarantining by showing a proof of vaccination or a negative test, while those from countries not on that list are barred from visiting for nonessential reasons and can be subject to further testing and quarantine requirements.

Most European countries reopened their economies this summer after vaccination campaigns picked up speed in recent months. Countries like France and Italy, among others, have required proof of vaccination or a negative coronavirus test result for people to dine in restaurants, visit museums or attend concerts, making Covid passes a fixture of daily life.

The decision to urge the reimposition of travel restrictions on U.S. travelers was first reported by Reuters. European officials who outlined the plan did so under condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly ahead of an announcement planned for Monday.

Other countries expected to be removed from the “safe list” include Israel, Kosovo, Lebanon, Montenegro and North Macedonia.

The European Union overtook the United States in vaccinations last month, with 64 percent of the bloc’s residents having received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine, compared with 60 percent in the United States, according to Our World in Data.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Stupid stupid fucking stupid. Travel restrictions are stupid. How does the US still have travel restrictions from the EU!?