Vacationing in times of Covid

LABEVO

On 1/22/2021 at 8:14 PM, midtown said:
On 1/22/2021 at 7:35 PM, Ag with kids said:
I wonder what the constitutionality is with denying a legal US citizen entry into the US.  Yeah yeah.  I get the COVID and all that, but still.  A US is not allowed into their own country????  BTW, I'm not trying to Cloak Room this.  It just seems like a bad precedent.

As I questioned before. What are you doing to do with a US citizen? Where are you going send them when you deny their entry? Back to where they came from? What if that country won't let them in?

They’ll put the burden on the airlines to deny boarding to anyone without the test.  

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

They’ll put the burden on the airlines to deny boarding to anyone without the test.

That seems to be the consensus.   Looking forward to abuse that airline staff are going to take dealing with having to tell people they are denied boarding.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Decided to bypass the international travel issues this spring. Was supposed to go to Mexico, but rescheduled for Puerto Rico. Waiting to see what other new restrictions roll out.

Just go to any number of domestic travel destinations and have an even higher chance of getting covid.   Every place I've looked at has already covered the issue of testing and that's in the first 3 days of the announcement.   Every hotel will either acquiring tests or setting up tests for guests with a vendor.   The only problem would be if you tested positive while there.  Then you are fucked.    At least in the US you can ignore the fact that you have it and jump on a plane with hundreds with no issues at all and I guess there is the issue of medical care in a foreign country.   

I am actually going to go for it to Belize here in March.   The way I figure.  Ill get a test before I go for entry.    Since I only plan to go for 4-5 days and since tests have to be done 3 days prior to departure Ill test on my second day there.   Then even if I do get covid in the next few days Ill still be able to fly home since I have a negative test and I likely won't even have symptoms.  Even if it was a 10 day trip.  False negatives are something like 70% in the first 4 days after exposure.  

That's how freaking stupid these rules are IMO.

Edited by midtown
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, midtown said:

Just go to any number of domestic travel destinations and have an even higher chance of getting covid.   Every place I've looked at has already covered the issue of testing and that's in the first 3 days of the announcement.   Every hotel will either acquiring tests or setting up tests for guests with a vendor.   The only problem would be if you tested positive while there.  Then you are fucked.    At least in the US you can ignore the fact that you have it and jump on a plane with hundreds with no issues at all and I guess there is the issue of medical care in a foreign country.   

I am actually going to go for it to Belize here in March.   The way I figure.  Ill get a test before I go for entry.    Since I only plan to go for 4-5 days and since tests have to be done 3 days prior to departure Ill test on my second day there.   Then even if I do get covid in the next few days Ill still be able to fly home since I have a negative test.  

Yeah, you'd be a mega dick if you caught it but still flew home.  That's the reason many people are suggesting to not travel for pleasure right now...

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I am actually going to go for it to Belize here in March.   The way I figure.  Ill get a test before I go for entry.    Since I only plan to go for 4-5 days and since tests have to be done 3 days prior to departure Ill test on my second day there.   Then even if I do get covid in the next few days Ill still be able to fly home since I have a negative test and I likely won't even have symptoms.  Even if it was a 10 day trip.  False negatives are something like 70% in the first 4 days after exposure.  

I worried specifically about the test when there in Mexico. Potential for fuckery even at a nice place? Idk. Too much risk, we’re going without kids for 5 nights. If we pop positive somehow and are stuck there for 2 weeks it would be a big problem. 

Damn.  Thought you were gonna say "and bought a private jet"

Private jet prices have been unreal this past year. I thought with the economic fallout there might be some deals out there, but you can’t even find a 10 year old G450 for under 15M right now. The only good news is that jet fuel prices are low, but probably not the best time to enter the PJ market unless you are really desperate.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I worried specifically about the test when there in Mexico. Potential for fuckery even at a nice place? Idk. Too much risk, we’re going without kids for 5 nights. If we pop positive somehow and are stuck there for 2 weeks it would be a big problem. 

I’m going to Playa in 2 weeks. The hotel has arranged for its guests to get tested at a hospital. Seems like they have it covered. 

Private jet prices have been unreal this past year. I thought with the economic fallout there might be some deals out there, but you can’t even find a 10 year old G450 for under 15M right now. The only good news is that jet fuel prices are low, but probably not the best time to enter the PJ market unless you are really desperate.
I haven't followed that market in years, but that doesn't surprise me. Rich people wanting their own spaces. Mountain properties are nuts, too.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
41 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I haven't followed that market in years, but that doesn't surprise me. Rich people wanting their own spaces. Mountain properties are nuts, too.

RVs, boats, new pool builds-- any and all recreational equipment/places/activities that allow for distancing, are crazy expensive right now.  Because for the most part, people with money, still have money, to spend on recreation.  But they're not spending it on exotic/foreign travel at anywhere close to the same rates as they did before.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, midtown said:

The only problem would be if you tested positive while there.  Then you are fucked.    At least in the US you can ignore the fact that you have it and jump on a plane with hundreds with no issues at all and I guess there is the issue of medical care in a foreign country.

You are one colossally selfish piece of shit of a human being.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I'm going to Coz for spring break. Taking my boys scuba diving. My oldest had Covid at beginning of Jan so is exempt from testing, I get my first shot tomorrow so I am not to worried. Like posted resorts are setting up to help with testing and if positive are making arrangements for additional stay.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, TexasGrunt said:

I'm going to Coz for spring break. Taking my boys scuba diving. My oldest had Covid at beginning of Jan so is exempt from testing, I get my first shot tomorrow so I am not to worried. Like posted resorts are setting up to help with testing and if positive are making arrangements for additional stay.

Good for you. Cozumel people need the money.

• Like 1

Jamaica trip for next week called off due to wife’s positive test result. Mine was negative.  

Exquisite timing.  She just came off 9 straight days working the Covid unit and my 82-year old Dad was staying with us. 

Rebooked everything for the first week of December and receiving $1200 back.  Not too shabby, I guess.

Next2naus’s Mom was feeling bad about her son acting like such a raging dickhead, so she invited me over for my birthday.  Sweet girl.  I’ll be sure to give her my best.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TexasGrunt said:

The COVID test for re-entry isn't a big concern to me. The mandatory quarantine upon returning to the U.S. is a much bigger problem. Has there been any update on that part?

I'm not planning to leave the country until a scheduled June trip to the Caribbean. A lot could change between now and then so I'm not going to stress over it, but this rule does deter me from any possibility of wanting to do a long weekend in Mexico this spring.

Edited by wild_turkey

26 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The mandatory quarantine upon returning to the U.S. is a much bigger problem. Has there been any update on that part?

When someone realizes how impossible it will be to track this I doubt it goes through.   My guess it will encouraged.  The fact that you can go to any of a hundred hot spots in the US with ZERO restriction or requirements to test pre-return makes no sense.   By all means get tested when your return from traveling.   I can easily stay home for 10 days which is what the CDC recommends after an exposure but many people can not and will not.   So 14 days after no known exposure and a negative test 3 days ago doesn't make any sense.  

Just found this:

https://onemileatatime.com/us-quarantine-international-travel/

Edited by midtown

Good luck with the quarantine. Impossible to enforce and with negative test taken 3 days before you leave and if following CDC guidelines that should leave 4 to 7 days not 14. Also, what about someone like me? I get first vacinne tomorrow and the second about 2 weeks before I leave.... Lots of questions and I'm not sweating it till early March.

I'm just hoping that vaccinations pick up significantly so my planned January 2022 Pari/Venice trip for my birthday isn't scuttled.

Begin rant....That will be my first international trip in almost 2 years, and I am waiting until then because it is the responsible thing to do. It blows my mind how some people are bitxhing about travel restrictions during the middle of a global pandemic. Yeah, it sucks. I had to cancel 3 international trips in 2020 alone. I am seriously worried that the vaccine rollout is going to be a failure and I will have to postpone January 2022. But I just deal with it and don't bleat about on social media....end rant.

I am going to try and go up to Salem, MA the last weekend in Feb with the dogs. I need to get out of the city.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cancelled Portugal last year and losing vouchers this year.  Got my vaccination and will get my second at the end of the month.  Just booked 10 days in Alaska in July. Denali isn't cheap--like $600 apiece a night.  Can't even get into fucking Canada right now which is damn astounding.  Oh well, Anchorage here we come.  Looking forward to going on a salmon and seafood diet.  

Cancelled Portugal last year and losing vouchers this year.  Got my vaccination and will get my second at the end of the month.  Just booked 10 days in Alaska in July. Denali isn't cheap--like $600 apiece a night.  Can't even get into fucking Canada right now which is damn astounding.  Oh well, Anchorage here we come.  Looking forward to going on a salmon and seafood diet.  

Why are you losing the voucher? Seems like the should extend. I believe BA has extended vouchers through 2022.

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Why are you losing the voucher? Seems like the should extend. I believe BA has extended vouchers through 2022.

Because they're bleeding money.   I'll reach out again and see but a lot can happen between now and July and I've already booked Alaska.  So, if countries reopen by then, it's a lost cause most likely. 

On 2/6/2021 at 7:01 PM, 4th&Five said:

How long until proof of vaccination gets you out of having to quarantine and test in places like Hawaii?

This here.

I have some cancelled tickets that I can now use through end of year and looking to book somewhere. Spring was on the docket but would now rather go Fall post vaccinations so vacation can feel a bit more normal. I wanted to get blacked out on the flight AND in the hotel bar like a gentleman.

Just spent JAN 25th -29th MON THUR in Cabo

Resort was 25 percent capacity and we took a private sail down the coastline that would usually have 3 other couples. 

Incredible time and was nice not to see it overrun with fat loudmouth t-shirt fans from Alabama. 

They also provide free COVID tests to get you back in to the states. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/28/2021 at 7:52 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am going to try and go up to Salem, MA the last weekend in Feb with the dogs. I need to get out of the city.

If you are still able to go, and want some seafood, I'm fond of this place:

https://www.turners-seafood.com/locations/salem-at-lyceum-hall/

On 1/28/2021 at 8:52 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Theres a museum (Peabody) there that also has a reconstructed Qing Dynasty home:  Yin Yu Tang--https://www.pem.org/visit/yin-yu-tang which I found fascinating.  I'd love to read your reaction.  

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Theres a museum (Peabody) there that also has a reconstructed Qing Dynasty home:  Yin Yu Tang--https://www.pem.org/visit/yin-yu-tang which I found fascinating.  I'd love to read your reaction.  

I am definitely going to the PEM.  I have a ticket for Saturday morning. They have some exhibits on that I wanted to see, and is actually why I chose Salem.  I love great exhibits.  

On 1/20/2021 at 6:45 AM, horn4life said:

You want to talk about high travel risk?  Go inside any Buc-ees or large roadside gas station from Texas to Florida, and THAT will be one of the riskiest fucking things you do during the time of corona virus.  

When we travel by car we don’t go in if at all possible, we take our snacks and water with us, we look for less traveled small gas stations and we’ve even peed in a bush on the side of the road. It’s not a fireplace but hey gotta avoid covid.

But seriously we are driving to South Beach for a March vacation and I’m half considering saying fuck it let’s just fly.  I’m starting to wonder how we are going to stay as safe as we are used to in Austin or in our remote RV travel in CO.   I think we will figure it out and stay away from everyone for ours and their benefit but it will be a very long drive.

once there I’m not worried as we will be outside, fishing, or yachting in the harbor, nothing inside and not in groups at all.

Edited by troph

Does anyone know if the U.S. is still requiring a 14 day quarantine for people returning from international travel? I remember that being discussed in early January but now I don’t see it anywhere. It seems like they dropped it and replaced it with the requirement to test prior to re-entry.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html

I’m considering a long weekend in Mexico (probably Tulum) next month. I’m fully vaccinated and I’m not worried about the testing part, but I don’t want to do it if I’m required to also quarantine upon return.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Does anyone know if the U.S. is still requiring a 14 day quarantine for people returning from international travel? I remember that being discussed in early January but now I don’t see it anywhere. It seems like they dropped it and replaced it with the requirement to test prior to re-entry.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html

I’m considering a long weekend in Mexico (probably Tulum) next month. I’m fully vaccinated and I’m not worried about the testing part, but I don’t want to do it if I’m required to also quarantine upon return.

Not required. Suggested.

I'll be in Baja and QRoo for 3 weeks next month, I don't expect it to change.

Anyone know how Puerto Rico is right now for travel?  Looking to book a trip in mid-May just the wife and I to get away.  I know you have to get a negative COVID test prior to going, but don't need one to return.  Online it says hotels are 50% capacity, restaurants are 30%. 

We'd be looking to stay at the El San Juan because they have a crazy deal (buy 1 night get 1 free).  Anyone stay there recently?  I went back in 2009 but it has been renovated and is now managed by Fairmont which usually has nice luxury properties.  We were underwhelmed in 2009, it was a bit sketchy then.  The renovation was in 2016.

PR has direct flights from where we are in the northeast.  We just want to chill on the beach and relax.  Other option is Florida, for the climate and how relaxed they are about COVID.  

FYI wife and I are already fully vaccinated, so I DGAF about covid anymore.  Gonna live my life.

• Like 1

Leaving in a week so I can support the US travel industry and the country of Belize.   Got my GE and CLEAR ready to blow by the other 10 people flying.

I was able to fly RT on United for $475 which includes first class return.  Used my AMEX flight credit to move to prem economy on the flight there.  As of now.  There is no one within 4 rows front and back of me going down. 

I had a credit with Maya as well.  Added $75 to them and they will do my return test which I plan to do the day after I arrive in the early evening.  Which is within the 72 hours. 

Got my N95 ready and hand sanitizer of course.  Will also bring something to wipe down high touch areas in my room.   Belize has a gold standard system that requires hotels to stay empty for 24 hours between visitors among other things. 

What can I expect as far as in flight?  Will I be allowed a few adult beverages or do I take mini's with me?