Pizza

Smax

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good pizza in this city it totally dependent on which part of town you’re in as far as I’m concerned. If you live by a Cane Rosso, that’s legit. I enjoy pinks as well, but I’m also not going to Montrose to get some pizza from some of the legit places in that area.  Any place that has fresh garlic as a topping option should be considered as fAr as I’m concerned. 

We used to live in spring branch which was a pizza wasteland... Daddy’os was alright as far as local options and there’s one in oak forest which I’ll get occasionally, or Pinks. My best bet is just buying one of the HEB fresh made pizzas and juking it up to my liking, otherwise I just make my own 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Etexhorn13

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/12/2021 at 7:16 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Luna Pizzeria is...OK. Blaze Pizza is about the same quality and much cheaper. 

Pizaro’s is the best in Houston for Neapolitan style. Romano’s is best for New York style. I haven’t found a deep dish/Chicago style pizza worth a darn. 

hit up the gypsy poet.

found myself revisiting cane rosso on monday and have to tweak my houston neapolitan style pizza ranking

1. gypsy poet

2. pizaro's

3. cane rosso

impero italiano got the boot by the thinnest of margins due to the blandness from their dough, however the cane rosso crust doesn't hold up as well as my top 2.  which has me scratching my head as they have an amazing oven (stefano ferrara).  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

I do not like Pizzaros. But I also enjoy sauce on my pizza so maybe I just don't like Neopolitan pizza in general.

Would love to find a deep dish pizza somewhere convenient to the west belt/memorial area. Bonus if it is Detroit-style.

Yes, Pizzaro's has a detroit-style, but I've had it twice and its literally cheese bread with a dollop of sauce on top.

Maybe Neopolitan's hate sauce.

48 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I do not like Pizzaros. But I also enjoy sauce on my pizza so maybe I just don't like Neopolitan pizza in general.

Would love to find a deep dish pizza somewhere convenient to the west belt/memorial area. Bonus if it is Detroit-style.

Yes, Pizzaro's has a detroit-style, but I've had it twice and its literally cheese bread with a dollop of sauce on top.

Maybe Neopolitan's hate sauce.

There’s a place called Empire Pizza on westheimer a few blocks west of the beltway that I went to a few times when I used to work over there. It’s probably been a couple years since I’ve been but I remember liking it. They have deep dish as well as a “Sicilian” pie which looks a lot like Detroit style to me. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

• 1 month later...

DaddyO’s comes to mind - I’m fairly certain I’ve noticed it in their pizzas before. It should be pretty common… i think a lot of places that hand toss their crusts start out by stretching the dough ball in a pan of semolina til it’s big enough to actually toss/shape. I worked at a pizza joint for a bit in college and that was their SOP

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gypsy Poet

Home Slice

Via 313 (its not open yet but itll be a massive hit and have 3-4 locations in houston in the next 5 years a la pluckers, torchys, etc)

Luna

in that order. Most other pizza in houston sucks. Tiny champions is meh. West of downtown, it wouldnt do near as good or garner near the hype imo

Edited by GreenspointTexas

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 7:20 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Luigi’s in Axelrad’s backyard slams hard. Best I can remember in Houston. Granted, I was quite overserved when I ate there. 

Used to go all the time when I lived in Midtown.  Was an easy walk from my apt. 

On 12/24/2022 at 7:39 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Gypsy Poet

I kept hearing about this place, and now there's one in the Heights.  What's good there? 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They’re everywhere now. Do they sell by the slice?

No idea. I had some at my cousin’s kids’ birthday party and thought it was great, especially for having like 10 pizzas delivered, then had 3 delivered to my house during another event. If it’s that good after delivery I can only imagine how good it is fresh. Haven’t stepped foot in one of their stores yet though… but I’d they did by the slice I’d be all over it

18 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Not unique to houston but Zalat makes a goddamn great pie

I've had the opposite experience. Wife and I ordered from there a couple of months ago and it was absolute dogshit. We didn't even save the leftovers, which were abundant since we barely ate the pizza.

25 minutes ago, royiv said:

I've had the opposite experience. Wife and I ordered from there a couple of months ago and it was absolute dogshit. We didn't even save the leftovers, which were abundant since we barely ate the pizza.

Hmm, strange. I’ve had it multiple times, once even with it sitting out for a while during a kids birthday party. Even after sitting a while it was still surprisingly good. Maybe it was a location thing. Only good experiences with the one in the heights. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...