COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

8 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Zero staffed pediatric ICU beds in North Texas as of today. Zero. Parkland says it is 500 nurses short of adequate staffing.

giphy.gif

Request:  Any talented .gif cartoonists want to replace this dog with a governor of your choice and post it in the appropriate forum?  Please and thanks.

22 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, we're kind of fucked with these attitudes.

Statesman:

Brent Thompson of Buda has been struggling to breathe for more than a week. While his condition has started to improve, he remains at Ascension Seton Medical Center in Central Austin on a ventilator.

Just days after Thompson tested positive for COVID-19 on July 27, he was hospitalized on Aug. 4 with low oxygen levels and diagnosed with COVID-pneumonia.

Thompson on Thursday told the American-Statesman that since he was first hospitalized last week, he has been to four different hospitals because of understaffing. He said he has two doctors attending to him, and he gets a new nurse every 12 to 13 hours. 

Thompson, who is not vaccinated, said that he does not plan to get vaccinated after he is released from the hospital. He and his wife believe they contracted the virus while at an outdoor concert in late July.  

“I still won't take a shot just because, in the long run, yeah, it sucks to go through this, but I'm making it and I ain’t dead,” he said. “I’m not scared to go through pain of this instead of the fear of getting the shot. I’d rather fight it out and let God figure it out for me.” 

image.png.6e50cd0c7ae87cc0b2a8140849933b61.png

For dark mode

Brent Thompson of Buda has been struggling to breathe for more than a week. While his condition has started to improve, he remains at Ascension Seton Medical Center in Central Austin on a ventilator.

Just days after Thompson tested positive for COVID-19 on July 27, he was hospitalized on Aug. 4 with low oxygen levels and diagnosed with COVID-pneumonia.

Thompson on Thursday told the American-Statesman that since he was first hospitalized last week, he has been to four different hospitals because of understaffing. He said he has two doctors attending to him, and he gets a new nurse every 12 to 13 hours. 

Thompson, who is not vaccinated, said that he does not plan to get vaccinated after he is released from the hospital. He and his wife believe they contracted the virus while at an outdoor concert in late July.  

“I still won't take a shot just because, in the long run, yeah, it sucks to go through this, but I'm making it and I ain’t dead,” he said. “I’m not scared to go through pain of this instead of the fear of getting the shot. I’d rather fight it out and let God figure it out for me.” 

Hook 'Em

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I’m not scared to go through pain of this instead of the fear of getting the shot. I’d rather fight it out and let God figure it out for me.” 

Don’t worry, he’s trying to solve the problem right now. He’s almost finished 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

If only @GRHorn@Muy Frio or any of the other socks were around to remind us how COVID isn't dangerous to kids. Ah well, nevertheless. 

Covid is not dangerous to kids. Do you have data that shows otherwise? You don’t get to use pediatric hospitals full of kids with RSV as your proof.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

32 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Statesman:

Brent Thompson of Buda has been struggling to breathe for more than a week. While his condition has started to improve, he remains at Ascension Seton Medical Center in Central Austin on a ventilator.

Just days after Thompson tested positive for COVID-19 on July 27, he was hospitalized on Aug. 4 with low oxygen levels and diagnosed with COVID-pneumonia.

Thompson on Thursday told the American-Statesman that since he was first hospitalized last week, he has been to four different hospitals because of understaffing. He said he has two doctors attending to him, and he gets a new nurse every 12 to 13 hours. 

Thompson, who is not vaccinated, said that he does not plan to get vaccinated after he is released from the hospital. He and his wife believe they contracted the virus while at an outdoor concert in late July.  

“I still won't take a shot just because, in the long run, yeah, it sucks to go through this, but I'm making it and I ain’t dead,” he said. “I’m not scared to go through pain of this instead of the fear of getting the shot. I’d rather fight it out and let God figure it out for me.” 

If I am this guy's insurance company, I am cutting his ass off and denying all claims. You want to be flippant about this and not give two shits, welcome to the poor house then. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Can you explain? I am looking for front desk workers and claims managers. The last time I looked pre-COVID I would get about 150 or so resumes per week to sort through. This past two weeks I received 2 resumes. It seems to me that women in particular are not going back to work. I assumed it was federal benefits that kicked in and those benefits end in September. And pay, in this case is irrelevant as starting pay was not indicated in the ads.

Unemployment is administered at the state level, the federal unemployment benefits are funded federally but still administered by state agencies. Texas stopped participating in federal pandemic unemployment programs (aka the extra $300/week, extended unemployment, etc.) the week of June 26. No one in Texas has been receiving that extra $300 per week or extended unemployment timeline since then. This is true of pretty much everywhere with a [can’t say party in DT] Governor, so the sample size is pretty big, and labor shortages are still common everywhere. So it’s hard to blame it on unemployment at this point. And yet people still throw that out there.

For what it’s worth, women specifically have held off on returning to the workforce in greater numbers than men, often because of family/childcare obligations. Some people are also reporting that they remain hesitant to go back to work because of health issues, some people looking for remote work exclusively, etc.

The information we have doesn’t indicate one conclusive reason as to why the labor market is what it is. About the only thing one can say conclusively is the federal unemployment assistance isn’t the driving issue many made it out to be, and continue to do so even though it’s since been cut off in their area.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Anyone who has read The Stand remembers the key players, typical King ‘well fuck it’ ending, and main events…but there is a series of chapters that outline the run up/immediate aftermath of Captain Trips that’ll always stick with me.  

There was denial by celebrities/radio hosts (2020, check), a group of lunatics who misplaced blame on something totally unrelated like a radio tower (5G, check), and an excellent chapter on the ‘second plague’ that hit up those who survived via things like accidentally locking themselves in freezers or doing quack medicine (horse paste, check).  

Oddly enough, feels like parts of covid are playing out very similarly. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Anyone who has read The Stand remembers the key players, typical King ‘well fuck it’ ending, and main events…but there is a series of chapters that outline the run up/immediate aftermath of Captain Trips that’ll always stick with me.  

There was denial by celebrities/radio hosts (2020, check), a group of lunatics who misplaced blame on something totally unrelated like a radio tower (5G, check), and an excellent chapter on the ‘second plague’ that hit up those who survived via things like accidentally locking themselves in freezers or doing quack medicine (horse paste, check).  

As a Stephen King fanboy, that’s some good shit right there.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I cannot stress this enough for anyone who lives in Austin (although this really applies to pretty much everywhere at this point)

BE SAFE.

What this means is don't get on your motorcycles. Don't go out on your ATV. Don't get on your jetskis. Don't ride the little mini scooters. Don't get super wasted. Don't do dangerous drugs. Basically don't engage in reckless, dangerous, and stupid behavior. The level 1 trauma center for central Texas has no trauma beds for you right now, because we admitted a man who fell like 60ft (on purpose) at 4:00am this morning and he took up the last one because, in a real bummer for him, he survived the fall. Of course, one or two beds might open up, but maybe we should save those for someone who has a stroke or something, mmkay? Watch Ted Lasso, fuck your partner, smoke some pot, stay indoors.

I was off of work for five days. I worked last night. The night before I had a girls' night with some friends who are also ICU nurses in Austin, and they warned me that things had really taken a turn since I left last on Saturday morning. And they were right. There is palpable despair in our ICUs, and especially in our MICU, which is our COVID ICU. Don't get me wrong, watching people die always sucks, and it was really shitty watching so many already-sick and elderly patients die with COVID last summer/winter, but the patients that we get up there now are younger, healthier, but they crash just the same.  

ALL INTUBATED PATIENTS IN OUR COVID ICU ARE UNVACCINATED

And Delta makes it harder for us to get you off the vent. The things we learned over last year don't seem to work quite as well. So then you get the trach, the PEG, and if you don't die before then, your body basically just kind of starts to rot. I can go into much more detail if you're into that sort of thing. Just DM me.

So get vaccinated. It will almost certainly keep that terrible stuff from happening, unless you are just a really unlucky son of a bitch. And it will really help your community's healthcare workers out. You are lucky we haven't all walked away from the job at this point. Shit is fucked. 

(I was directly exposed to COVID because of the aforementioned jumper patient. We didn't get his test results back until after admitting him to the ICU, and his vent circuit broke right in front of my face. So I've got that going for me)

@trauma babe

What have you seen regarding kids?  Can you shed any light on that.  

27 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I cannot stress this enough for anyone who lives in Austin (although this really applies to pretty much everywhere at this point)

BE SAFE.

What this means is don't get on your motorcycles. Don't go out on your ATV. Don't get on your jetskis. Don't ride the little mini scooters. Don't get super wasted. Don't do dangerous drugs. Basically don't engage in reckless, dangerous, and stupid behavior. The level 1 trauma center for central Texas has no trauma beds for you right now, because we admitted a man who fell like 60ft (on purpose) at 4:00am this morning and he took up the last one because, in a real bummer for him, he survived the fall. Of course, one or two beds might open up, but maybe we should save those for someone who has a stroke or something, mmkay? Watch Ted Lasso, fuck your partner, smoke some pot, stay indoors.

I was off of work for five days. I worked last night. The night before I had a girls' night with some friends who are also ICU nurses in Austin, and they warned me that things had really taken a turn since I left last on Saturday morning. And they were right. There is palpable despair in our ICUs, and especially in our MICU, which is our COVID ICU. Don't get me wrong, watching people die always sucks, and it was really shitty watching so many already-sick and elderly patients die with COVID last summer/winter, but the patients that we get up there now are younger, healthier, but they crash just the same.  

And Delta makes it harder for us to get you off the vent. The things we learned over last year don't seem to work quite as well. So then you get the trach, the PEG, and if you don't die before then, your body basically just kind of starts to rot. I can go into much more detail if you're into that sort of thing. Just DM me.

So get vaccinated. It will almost certainly keep that terrible stuff from happening, unless you are just a really unlucky son of a bitch. And it will really help your community's healthcare workers out. You are lucky we haven't all walked away from the job at this point. Shit is fucked. 

(I was directly exposed to COVID because of the aforementioned jumper patient. We didn't get his test results back until after admitting him to the ICU, and his vent circuit broke right in front of my face. So I've got that going for me)

Yep, it's wild here at my Houston ICU as well. My cardiac ICU has no cardiac patients. Instead, they are all replaced with COVID ones and we are a COVID ICU now. So hopefully no one has a heart attack right now as there are no beds for them at my hospital. We do have one intubated patient who had the first shot in July (no second shot). I'd say there's a 50/50 chance he'll make it. 

• Hook 'Em 7

36 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

BE SAFE.

It's been said before but I will say it again. Thanks to you and your peers and for all you are doing here. Sorry that large chunks of humanity are absolute fucktards who have put you in this crazy, stressful situation.

Stay strong amiga!

• Hook 'Em 7

49 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

BE SAFE.

Is this something I can share beyond surly?  I continue to try to get the word out to friends, and some won't talk to me now, but I keep fighting the good fight

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Statesman:

This is case and point why anti-vax POS should be 100% responsible for medical expenses regardless of insurance status.  We live in a capitalist society and actions have consequences.  Let this pieces of shit wallow in debt or a BR on their record for the rest of their hopefully shitty life.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just want to thank @trauma babe and @BrazilHorn for the insight and data they are providing. I know others are as well, and sorry I left you off. 

But you two have been constantly passing information to the group and I appreciate it. 

Happy to buy you both a beverage of your choice when this shit is over. 

Hook Em. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Just waiting for the ex-military guys in loin cloths performing public executions on live television.

/King fanboi here too.  I started the audio book in December 2019 for the umpteenth time.  Made for an interesting early to mid 2020 for sure.

1 hour ago, whithou said:

Yep, it's wild here at my Houston ICU as well. My cardiac ICU has no cardiac patients. Instead, they are all replaced with COVID ones and we are a COVID ICU now. So hopefully no one has a heart attack right now as there are no beds for them at my hospital. We do have one intubated patient who had the first shot in July (no second shot). I'd say there's a 50/50 chance he'll make it. 

Thanks for all you / your co-workers are doing.

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

BE SAFE.

Thank you for doing what you do.

edited to add: one of your fellow nurses probably saved my life a few weeks ago.  It’s very sad to know that if the same thing happened today that I might be told that the hospital is not accepting new customers.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Is this something I can share beyond surly?  I continue to try to get the word out to friends, and some won't talk to me now, but I keep fighting the good fight

Unless you just want to be the guy preaching a message that others don't want to hear, I wouldn't waste your breath. People that have not gotten the vaccine are not going to be moved by you telling them that they are saving others' lives.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Statesman:

Kick that dude out of the hospital. Let God figure it out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

This is case and point why anti-vax POS should be 100% responsible for medical expenses regardless of insurance status.  We live in a capitalist society and actions have consequences.  Let this pieces of shit wallow in debt or a BR on their record for the rest of their hopefully shitty life.

can we do this for smoking, drug use, fattys, as well please?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Smokers are already kinda tacitly penalized for their bad behavior in that they pay confiscatory taxes on their addiction (I think 2/3rds of a pack of cigs now is myriad taxes).  They also pay much, much more for health insurance.  As they should.  

Drug use?  Depends on the drug.  We have more people abusing pharmaceuticals in this country than abuse recreational narcotics for the first time in U.S. history.  Overdoses and long-term health effects are not believed to be communicably transmitted.  With the exception of shared syringes.  

Fatties.  As JesusSweatDuck points out---They are a very expensive drain on our health care system.  They are already paying more for health insurance, life insurance, and the day is coming very soon where they will be rationed care, pay taxes on certain types of foods, etc..  However, their disease is not contagious.  There is no community transmission of obesity that we know of.  

If you are for personal responsibility in the classic libertarian sense, then those folks should be held accountable for their own personal health decisions---both at the market level and on the back end of health care.  Their decisions do ripple out to the rest of society in that they are drains on our health care system and middle seat occupants on airplanes.  But they do not directly infect other people on a daily basis with their addictions and personal choices.  Second hand smoke kinda does that, but it has to take several exposures.  Covid-19 needs one.  And is incredibly clever at finding ways to get itself transmitted.  

if there was a brilliant analogy on what kind of behavior was akin to not masking/not vaccinating...somebody would have made it already and it'd be on hats and flags everywhere.  We're all stuck breathing the same air unless you roll around with a scuba tank.   

7 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

If I am this guy's insurance company, I am cutting his ass off and denying all claims. You want to be flippant about this and not give two shits, welcome to the poor house then. 

Fuck yes.  He's taking up a hospital bed and staffing that others could be using, and the rest of us are footing a part of the bill.

Brent Thompson of Buda seems like a real dumbass piece-of-shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Smokers are already kinda tacitly penalized for their bad behavior in that they pay confiscatory taxes on their addiction (I think 2/3rds of a pack of cigs now is myriad taxes).  They also pay much, much more for health insurance.  As they should.  

Drug use?  Depends on the drug.  We have more people abusing pharmaceuticals in this country than abuse recreational narcotics for the first time in U.S. history.  Overdoses and long-term health effects are not believed to be communicably transmitted.  With the exception of shared syringes.  

Fatties.  As JesusSweatDuck points out---They are a very expensive drain on our health care system.  They are already paying more for health insurance, life insurance, and the day is coming very soon where they will be rationed care, pay taxes on certain types of foods, etc..  However, their disease is not contagious.  There is no community transmission of obesity that we know of.  

If you are for personal responsibility in the classic libertarian sense, then those folks should be held accountable for their own personal health decisions---both at the market level and on the back end of health care.  Their decisions do ripple out to the rest of society in that they are drains on our health care system and middle seat occupants on airplanes.  But they do not directly infect other people on a daily basis with their addictions and personal choices.  Second hand smoke kinda does that, but it has to take several exposures.  Covid-19 needs one.  And is incredibly clever at finding ways to get itself transmitted.  

if there was a brilliant analogy on what kind of behavior was akin to not masking/not vaccinating...somebody would have made it already and it'd be on hats and flags everywhere.  We're all stuck breathing the same air unless you roll around with a scuba tank.   

Granted a fatty is dangerous if they trip and fall and you happen to be in between them and the ground

Bad news on the new cases front, up to 654 from 478 yesterday and just off the previous peak for this wave of 693.  Seems too early for back to school to have an impact, but I'd guess we see a jump this weekend and Monday due to it as well.  Hospitalized down to 598 from 603 yesterday.  ICU admits up to 198 from 196 yesterday and vents up to 128 from 127 yesterday.  Deaths holding at 912.

image.thumb.png.383b4715e98fca2a0c33798cf10038dc.png

image.thumb.png.95f726d9ed093a67ab32ad53f525d6d2.png

source: https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Bad news on the new cases front, up to 654 from 478 yesterday and just off the previous peak for this wave of 693.  Seems too early for back to school to have an impact, but I'd guess we see a jump this weekend and Monday due to it as well.  Hospitalized down to 598 from 603 yesterday.  ICU admits up to 198 from 196 yesterday and vents up to 128 from 127 yesterday.  Deaths holding at 912.

image.thumb.png.383b4715e98fca2a0c33798cf10038dc.png

image.thumb.png.95f726d9ed093a67ab32ad53f525d6d2.png

source: https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

Sadly, those are probably the result of tax-free shopping weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

654 cases in Travis County which is up 187 cases from last Friday. (if you are keeping score at home)

Cases continue to skew younger as they have for several weeks. Slight dip in overall hospitalizations with a drop from yesterday of 12 people with currently 596 hospitalized. There were 79 admits today.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/13 vs 8/12 4 49 70 155 139 109 66 35 17 10 654
% of Daily Change 0.61% 7.49% 10.70% 23.70% 21.25% 16.67% 10.09% 5.35% 2.60% 1.53%  
% of Total Cases 0.65% 4.56% 10.72% 26.03% 20.85% 14.80% 10.93% 6.39% 3.09% 1.98%  

9 deaths in Travis County for the week ending 8/13. This is the highest since the week ending May 1st. There were 38 deaths the week ending 8/15 in 2020 (closest week to this one in data set) so while a much higher week than recent months, still far lower than last year as Covid was running through the nursing homes/olds.

A couple of interesting highlights. For the week ending 8/13 we saw the first deaths in the 20 to 29 grouping (2) since the week ending 6/3.

We saw the first death (1) in the 30 to 39 grouping since the week ending 7/23. So we are starting to see deaths pop up in the younger groups (which as noted in prior posts is where bulk of cases have been).

With that said the highest risk populations pandemic to date are those over 60 (in particular those over 80) ESPECIALLY if they are not vaccinated.

Here is how the deaths broke down for week ending 8/13:

PS: if you haven't been vaccinated and are still living like Covid isn't real you are an idiot.

20 to 29 (2)

30 to 39 (1)

40 to 49 (1)

60 to 69 (1)

>80 (4)

• Hook 'Em 7