COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Just now, Shaggy3.0 said:

Or "F....as in funeral".   too much?

That really long pause always made my heart stop.

"...with a grade of...........................................................this grade has not been reported, yet."

Screaming Internally Star Trek GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, gurt said:

it seems like it is going around at a much higher rate than ever before.  So many people, myself included, have had it in the last few weeks.  One of my direct reports just got it yesterday.

I know more people sick in the last week or two than at literally any point in the entire pandemic. These new variants seem to be contagious as fuck.

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I know more people sick in the last week or two than at literally any point in the entire pandemic. These new variants seem to be contagious as fuck.

Yup they are.  And mild, too.

We're just about out of this thing.

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

They may be more contagious, but I think the biggest part is nobody gives enough of a fuck to take precautions at this point. 

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Sunday I felt like I got hit by a truck. I didn’t think anything of it because I was sun burnt and had been in the lake all weekend. Chalked it up to a bad cold or allergies or exhaustion. Felt way better Monday - just worn down and a little snotty. Same the past few days. Woke up today with a scratchy throat and decided to test. I’m never “sick” this long.

Yeah, I've still got a cough and fatigue nearly two weeks after being "over it".  No breathing problems, and cough has improved over the past few days so I'm not coughing as much, but still damned tired.

Want to punch my bitch sister-in-law in the face, because after she found out we had it, she pushed some stupid fucking "cures"  and now she is claiming that there's no way we'd still have any lingering effects from COVID because it's over as fast a cold, and we should do our own research and we'd know that.  Of course, she's staying the hell away from us (she was social distancing decades before it was a thing), but wife and I both offered to let her hang around us in person or drink after us while we were symptomatic so she could catch it and do her own fucking research.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

FInally got covid and this shit is contagious!  And Vastly, vastly, vastly underreported.  I would estimate that for every positive text the healthcare system says have tested positive, I would bet the number is double if not triple, that now rising infection rate.

Yep.  Out of my family, only my wife and I had PCR tests after testing+ on rapids, and our kids tested + on the rapids, and so only my wife and I would be in the system.

And not all PCR tests are checking the strain.

So she gave me tix to see Herb Alpert at the Paramount.  I'm not normally a big music Paramount guy because I like to move around and party at concerts.  But she gifted me the seats and the wife and I went.

You have an awesome sister.  🤘

But what is so fascinating to me is how varied the responses are.  Wife sniffles, scratchy throat, but no fever.  SIL, and his Mom same symptoms as me light.  Youngest Daughter testing today, but will be positive with symptoms like wife. Interesting my older adult daughter had it the worst, 101+ fever, and basic body aches and flu like symptoms.  Everyone was vaccinated and had a single booster.

Yep, all four (2 adults, 2 kids) in my house started out like bad allergies/cedar fever (we are all vaxxed and wife and I are boosted), but then things diverged from there.  One of us bounced back and was symptom free in a short time, one had no fever, another for just a day, me for a few, another had lingering fever for a week (but never up to 101, just 99s and low 100s), various coughing lengths (like I said, one bounced back quick, two were done with their coughing within a week, one in a few days), etc., etc.

Just the weirdest fucking disease.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Deej said:

400 deaths a day, currently, but I’m sure they are no one you care about.

Currently 400 deaths a day?  Is that in Texas or the US?  Texas Health & Human Services is showing single digits per day.

10 hours ago, Deej said:

400 deaths a day, currently, but I’m sure they are no one you care about.

9 hours ago, smoky said:

Currently 400 deaths a day?  Is that in Texas or the US?  Texas Health & Human Services is showing single digits per day.

No. The 7 day daily average for the United States has been below 400 since mid April. It’s currently at 265.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Is there a reason to give a fuck at this point?

I wish I had been a little more careful.  

My cough is finally starting to go away, but the fatigue and shitty sleeping is still present.

And my kids getting it when they did, and one of them lasting as long as it has, really fucked up our June plans, and we wasted plenty of money on activities that we couldn't do.

We fucked around and found out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Operation UT Conference update.  Just got the email that we had one positive case who managed to interact with lots of people.  As a matter of course (even precovid), I was relatively antisocial and only interacted with people I knew, none of whom has reported being sick.  So I feel good about my chances (knock wood).  But now we wait.

Edited by dcbc

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wish I had been a little more careful.  

My cough is finally starting to go away, but the fatigue and shitty sleeping is still present.

And my kids getting it when they did, and one of them lasting as long as it has, really fucked up our June plans, and we wasted plenty of money on activities that we couldn't do.

We fucked around and found out.

This is me.  We basically said “fuck it” after getting vaxxed last year.  When this wave cropped up we didn’t take any real precautions other than masking in crowded indoor public areas which is the only thing we never stopped doing.  When my 3 year old came down with it last Friday, we figured I’m may as well just let the whole family get it since it felt unavoidable.

And for my wife, 3 year old and I, it hasn’t been all that bad; definitely not fun and worse than a normal cold/flu, but I have not been all that worried about us.  Then my 6 year old came down with it on Thursday and has had fevers in excess of 105 for 2 days.  That shit is terrifying and she doesn’t seem to be getting better and there’s really not much we can do other than wait and see.  We fucked around, and now we are finding out, and it is dangerous and scary.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Then my 6 year old came down with it on Thursday and has had fevers in excess of 105 for 2 days. That shit is terrifying and she doesn’t seem to be getting better and there’s really not much we can do other than wait and see.  We fucked around, and now we are finding out, and it is dangerous and scary.

Wow, that is super scary man. Was your 6yo also vaccinated? I hope her fever has broken, poor thing has to be miserable

27 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Wow, that is super scary man. Was your 6yo also vaccinated? I hope her fever has broken, poor thing has to be miserable

She is vaccinated but only one shot.  But it sucks that it is hitting her so much harder than the unvaxxed 3 year old.

Its fucked up because up around 104-105 people start getting delirious.  Really scary to see that in my little girl.  For now it looks like we are able to control it with Motrin and Tylenol but it’s not coming all the way down and as soon as 3-4 hrs is up it starts spiking again.  I don’t do well with taking care of them; I’m basically worried to the point of panic-stricken psychosis.  Luckily my wife is running point.  Apparently the ER doc said we shouldn’t really worry until 107-108 which sounds insane to me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

She is vaccinated but only one shot.  But it sucks that it is hitting her so much harder than the unvaxxed 3 year old.

Its fucked up because up around 104-105 people start getting delirious.  Really scary to see that in my little girl.  For now it looks like we are able to control it with Motrin and Tylenol but it’s not coming all the way down and as soon as 3-4 hrs is up it starts spiking again.  I don’t do well with taking care of them; I’m basically worried to the point of panic-stricken psychosis.  Luckily my wife is running point.  Apparently the ER doc said we shouldn’t really worry until 107-108 which sounds insane to me.

Hope she gets better soon! Keep us posted please. Get well little one.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I’m in Covid hell.

Upthread I mentioned dad got it we think at a convention in Austin. Came to visit down here in Port A and got sick and I kept him here for 2 weeks. A week after he left I got it I’m guessing from someone in a bar. At the same time my mom who I haven’t seen in 2 months got it, pretty sure that was a 2 hour car ride she had with a lady that tested positive the next day. She lives in San Antonio.

So a week after I’m over it my girlfriend’s kids come down from Dallas. 2nd day they are here her son isn’t feeling good. Next day he has a sore throat and chills get him a Covid test and of course it’s positive. 10 hours later his girlfriend and her mom also pop positive. They were all in a car together on the drive down from Dallas for 8 hours. If you haven’t gotten this recent variant don’t get in a car with anyone.

on the plus side, everyone has been very mild. 24-48 of a sore throat and chills and then nothing but tired. My mom was the only one worse than that but she has other health issues. 76 years old and way underweight in fact her doctor told her before Covid was a thing she needed to eat more because she would struggle to fight off a virus. She’s 20 days in now, got the monoclonal antibody and 3 other IV infusions and is much better now. Never had to go to the hospital.

This shit is running through pretty much everyone I know. All over the state. All are vaxxed and only 1 of the above I mentioned have had it before, but most of us are newbies to Covid.

• Hook 'Em 3

So since May 14th I’ve had  27 days of Covid positive people (including myself) in my house. Somehow my girlfriend isn’t getting it - yet- despite being here that whole time. And as best we can tell none of us has given it to anyone else in the house. Weird virus.

• Hook 'Em 2

Alright, we're in a pretzel here...

We just got notice that someone in my 2 year old's summer school (8 kids, 2 teachers) popped positive.  School is 3 hours, with 1 hour outside.  When inside, they all wear masks.  Not a massive amount of exposure.

The issue is, my wife and I are (currently) leaving Friday for a week long sailing trip in Spain for her best friend's 40th.  Not exactly a short distance away.  My parents are coming in tomorrow to watch the 2 and 5 year old for the week.  My parents are boosted and had COVID around New Year's.

So many thoughts and scenarios.  Is it fair for my parents to watch them if he was exposed?  Small chance, but what if he gets a bad case?  He may not even get it at all!   Are we being selfish pricks if we go?  

Fuck COVID.

11 minutes ago, Stringer said:

We just got notice that someone in my 2 year old's summer school (8 kids, 2 teachers) popped positive.  School is 3 hours, with 1 hour outside.  When inside, they all wear masks.  Not a massive amount of exposure.

The issue is, my wife and I are (currently) leaving Friday for a week long sailing trip in Spain for her best friend's 40th.  Not exactly a short distance away.  My parents are coming in tomorrow to watch the 2 and 5 year old for the week.  My parents are boosted and had COVID around New Year's.

So many thoughts and scenarios.  Is it fair for my parents to watch them if he was exposed?  Small chance, but what if he gets a bad case?  He may not even get it at all!   Are we being selfish pricks if we go?  

Fuck COVID.

Week long sailing trips to Spain? #FWP

Why don't you ask your parents what they are comfortable with? One side of my family wouldn't want to watch the kids knowing they were exposed. The other wouldn't think twice about it. 

If someone in a 8 kid class had it, then your kid was exposed enough to get it. I personally wouldn't have had him/her in school this week to start just because of the ramifications if they did get sick on throwing everything into turmoil. Hell, even without Covid kids bring home nasty stuff at the worst possible time. But too late now.

If it were me, I'd keep the kids at home the rest of the week and keep an eye on them to reduce any more chance of exposure. It's all you can really do now.

On 6/18/2022 at 9:23 AM, Snake Diggity said:

Apparently the ER doc said we shouldn’t really worry until 107-108

That doc is an idiot, unless you're good with your kid having brain damage. 107-108 and you should be putting that kid in a bathtub full of ice water, and getting in touch with a competent medical professional.

Edited by Deej

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Austin Conference/Final Update:  We're 5 days out.  Nobody got it (one person got noncovid mudbutt).  We are immortal.

My immortality is still on the line.  I survived two days of maskless depositions last week, but was at a funeral Saturday morning, have an in-person court hearing this afternoon, and will be in San Francisco this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My immortality is still on the line.  I survived two days of maskless depositions last week, but was at a funeral Saturday morning, have an in-person court hearing this afternoon, and will be in San Francisco this weekend. 

I miss Zoom depos. 

53 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Fuck COVID.

My thoughts, if I understand correctly-

If you are leaving now, I wouldn’t think you are contagious yet.  So a plane ride exposing many others wouldn’t be a big concern for me. 

If it turns out you are infected, you may have a less than stellar sailing voyage. Do the others to be on the boat care about your Covid status?

if your parents are capable of taking care of the kids and you trust their judgement for the low chance there is a bad case, and they are ok with it, then you are fine on the homefront as well. 

dont know Spanish protocol for the return flight, but can you handle the worst case of staying extra days waiting to meet an all clear for whatever it is they might ask for (negative test?)

Edited by Pato del Muerto

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Godspeed Alejandro

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

dont know Spanish protocol for the return flight, but can you handle the worst case of staying extra days waiting to meet an all clear for whatever it is they might ask for (negative test?)

Friend traveled in Europe a few months ago, said that some countries were still requiring quarantine with Covid... better find out rules in Spain or wherever you are going.

According to UT Health, the rate of transmission is currently under 1.0 statewide and in Travis county.  That's probably wrong due to under reporting, but we've been under reporting for some time now.  So based on that, it would appear that this latest spike wasn't a huge one and we are past the peak. 

And for what it's worth, of the five of us from my office that were at this conference, only two of us are known to have had a case previously (both Omicron in January).  I had a mask in my back pocket in case any Uber drivers had one or requested it, but none did.  So I didn't bother.

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

According to UT Health, the rate of transmission is currently under 1.0 statewide and in Travis county.  That's probably wrong due to under reporting, but we've been under reporting for some time now.  So based on that, it would appear that this latest spike wasn't a huge one and we are past the peak. 

And for what it's worth, of the five of us from my office that were at this conference, only two of us are known to have had a case previously (both Omicron in January).  I had a mask in my back pocket in case any Uber drivers had one or requested it, but none did.  So I didn't bother.

Looking at the dashboard, the omicron peak was about 4 weeks from the start of hospitalizations increasing to the max. (12/21 to 1/19 give or take)

this current bump is 3 weeks old and is 10% ish of the omicron spike.  (5/30-6/21).  With much less overall Give a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Still haven't had it.  Going to Vegas in a few weeks.  If I make it through another trip there without it (we went in February), I'm just assuming I can't catch it.

I went to Vegas 3 times for work in the past 2 years, didn't get it. Went last week for a conference and came back with it. Hit me hard as hell, good luck

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Looking at the dashboard, the omicron peak was about 4 weeks from the start of hospitalizations increasing to the max. (12/21 to 1/19 give or take)

this current bump is 3 weeks old and is 10% ish of the omicron spike.  (5/30-6/21).  With much less overall Give a shit. 

That seems like good news?

30 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I hate Zoom depos. 

Mine are mostly boring. Objecting to form every now and then.  So doing them on Zoom is nice.  If you are doing the questioning, I can see how you can get a better read on the witness being in person.

1 minute ago, ocugolf said:

Mine are mostly boring. Objecting to form every now and then.  So doing them on Zoom is nice.  If you are doing the questioning, I can see how you can get a better read on the witness being in person.

That, and when you have to go over a bunch of exhibits during your examination, it's so much easier in person.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

That, and when you have to go over a bunch of exhibits during your examination, it's so much easier in person.

I suspect that in person you are less likely to do it as a cat. 

• Haha 2