COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

49 minutes ago, Deej said:

That doc is an idiot, unless you're good with your kid having brain damage. 107-108 and you should be putting that kid in a bathtub full of ice water, and getting in touch with a competent medical professional.

I would have thought so too, but cursory research returned that it is EXTREMELY rare for fever from infection to get over 106 and brain damage only occurs at 108+, which realistically only can happen if the ambient temperature is extremely high (like a kid being left in a hot car).  It appears to be pretty general guidance not to worry too much about actual fevers 104-105, and treating those fevers is really only meant to curb the discomfort, not prevent any real danger.  I think there’s a recent trend of healthcare professionals instructing parents to let fever run it’s course because it is thought that fever is helpful to fighting the infection, so treating lower grade fevers does more harm than good.  We had 2 doctors and a PA tell us not to even treat her fever until it was 103+, and they indicated the delirium we saw was more a result of dehydration than the actual fever.

Anyway, I didn’t really adhere to their advice and we gave her Motrin anytime she got to 101.  She hasn’t had fever for the last 2 days so I think we are all on the mend.  She has been having night terror type shit the last 3 nights which we assume is related to the COVID.  My wife and I are still tired as fuck with a mild cough/congestion.  This shit is definitely not “like a normal flu”.  At least the 3 year old (only one unvaxxed) is all the way back to normal.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

This shit is definitely not “like a normal flu”. 

Even though hospitalizations and deaths are waaaaaaay down, there still seems to be a wide variety of symptoms.  Anecdotally, from this thread and those in my networks who have gotten COVID more recently, it seems like most folks are having what seems to be a garden variety cold on the weaker magnitude.  Others are for the most part asymptomatic, but I still hear a significant number of folks who are having flu-like symptoms and after affects that linger for a week or more.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

According to UT Health, the rate of transmission is currently under 1.0 statewide and in Travis county.  That's probably wrong due to under reporting, but we've been under reporting for some time now.  So based on that, it would appear that this latest spike wasn't a huge one and we are past the peak. 

And for what it's worth, of the five of us from my office that were at this conference, only two of us are known to have had a case previously (both Omicron in January).  I had a mask in my back pocket in case any Uber drivers had one or requested it, but none did.  So I didn't bother.

L.O.L. In my current “circle” of 7 cases, exactly 0 have been reported. And 5/7 wouldn’t have even tested but they knew they were exposed for a lengthy time and had minor symptoms. This shit is everywhere right now. 4 clusters in my circle - one in Dallas, one in Austin, one San Antonio, one Port A in the last month.

Also I don’t think 5 days out means you are out of the woods yet. The good news is for pretty much everyone this strain is really, really mild.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

L.O.L. In my current “circle” of 7 cases, exactly 0 have been reported. And 5/7 wouldn’t have even tested but they knew they were exposed for a lengthy time and had minor symptoms. This shit is everywhere right now. 4 clusters in my circle - one in Dallas, one in Austin, one San Antonio, one Port A in the last month.

Also I don’t think 5 days out means you are out of the woods yet. The good news is for pretty much everyone this strain is really, really mild.

What a ray of sunshine. :)  I kid.  I kid.  I read your earlier post.  I know you guys have been through the ringer. 

My sister picked it up earlier this month while she and her daughter were in Arizona.  I think one person in my office picked up her second case at the end of May.  And, honestly, I can't think of anyone else I know who has had it this round.  Neither of those two cases spread it within their circle of family and friends.  And while that anecdotally supports a less than 1.0 rT, I'm not hanging my hat on any of it.

As I acknowledged, it's under reported.  Nobody's arguing about that.  Still, I wouldn't say we should ignore all reported data in favor of anecdotal data alone, which, in my case, would mean that only two people I know have gotten it this go-round and, therefore, all is perfectly fine.  That would be a ridiculous assumption to make in my case. 

What I do know is that the reported numbers were up this past month.  Bad.  The reported numbers are trending lower now.  Better.

As for me as an experiment subject, I guess I'll give it another few days.  But this morning, my wife just spent two hours in a courtroom with approximately 70 other people so she could request a continuance on a case as local counsel.  What a clusterfuck.  So if I get it at this point, I have a more obvious source than Austin.

I hope all your family and friends fare well.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fuck. Round two started on Monday night. Infected January 2021, Vaxxed May 2021, and boosted in December 2021. Been living normal for a year now with a few known close calls but no clue where this one came from. 

Spent last wknd doing same old stuff (restaurants, bars, etc). Then Monday gf’s sister got it, I tested negative but felt crappy. Then gf got it yesterday and I Finally popped positive today after two days of congestion, body aches around the joints (like I want to stretch them out), runny nose,  very sporadic slight cough, and ear popping. So day 3 and feel blegh but not terrible. Hopefully it stays light. Guess I got 7 more days? Will say this one seems fast acting; pretty sure we contracted Sunday night at a hookah bar but who knows.

Y’all stay safe out there.

Edited by achooloco
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Stringer said:

Alright, we're in a pretzel here...

We just got notice that someone in my 2 year old's summer school (8 kids, 2 teachers) popped positive.  School is 3 hours, with 1 hour outside.  When inside, they all wear masks.  Not a massive amount of exposure.

The issue is, my wife and I are (currently) leaving Friday for a week long sailing trip in Spain for her best friend's 40th.  Not exactly a short distance away.  My parents are coming in tomorrow to watch the 2 and 5 year old for the week.  My parents are boosted and had COVID around New Year's.

So many thoughts and scenarios.  Is it fair for my parents to watch them if he was exposed?  Small chance, but what if he gets a bad case?  He may not even get it at all!   Are we being selfish pricks if we go?  

Fuck COVID.

Was their exposure Mon or Tues? It seems like symptoms typically hit between 48-72 hours after exposure.   If they wake up fine Fri morning you might have some sense that they missed it this round.   

Well I had a good run.   I was in the Moderna trial in Aug. of 2020. Had my booster this past November. 

Started with congestion on Tuesday and some sore muscles the last two days.   No cough,  fever or headache yet.   Been petty mild so far.   Did the at home test this morning and it showed positive right away. 

Is anyone else taking Paxlovid for this strain?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, achooloco said:

Fuck. Round two started on Monday night. Infected January 2001, Vaxxed May 2021, and boosted in December 2021. Been living normal for a year now with a few known close calls but no clue where this one came from. 

Why did you wait 20 years between your first infection and when you got vaccinated?

And yeah, we could not figure out where we caught it from. 

I've been taking my kids to the neighborhood playground in the evenings, and talking to other parents, and it seems like everybody caught it in May or the beginning of this month.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, fluff said:

Good run for me as well. Vaxxed and boosted. Positive just now. Feels like flu coming on. Do I need to go to doctor or ride it out? Or when should one head to the doctor?

I guess I'd say, if/when it feels worse than a flu?

I had it a couple of weeks ago and for me it felt like seasonal allergies, cedar fever.  Plus a sore throat, for a couple of days.  Not fun, but nothing I'd have considered going to the doctor about.

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I guess I'd say, if/when it feels worse than a flu?

I had it a couple of weeks ago and for me it felt like seasonal allergies, cedar fever.  Plus a sore throat, for a couple of days.  Not fun, but nothing I'd have considered going to the doctor about.

Not picking on anyone, but I read a lot of comments about comparisons to seasonal allergies, cedar fever, a garden variety cold, and a "mild" flu.  As someone who has nasal allergies to a billion things, my season is every season.  I guess the good thing is I'm used to a fair amount of feeling shitty (note: no shot treatment - I'm a puss about shots, plus I've moved around a bit and was told that would affect the treatment outcome).  Anyway, as someone who has dealt with all of those, I would put them at

seasonal allergies (even my near constant shit) < garden variety cold <<< cedar fever <<<<< any actual diagnosed flu

Just me probably, but these are pretty much all on different levels so it's hard to dial in on how bad it is for someone in any given case.

Worse than the flu is pretty fucking shitty, imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fluff said:

Good run for me as well. Vaxxed and boosted. Positive just now. Feels like flu coming on. Do I need to go to doctor or ride it out? Or when should one head to the doctor?

My doctor has prescribed friends who he also treats with a steroid combo with something else, the type of second med I can't remember.  He's also prescribed the codeine cough syrup to a friend who had a really bad cough with it.  If you have a primary, call them and tell them you tested positive and see what they say.  Or you could pick up cough meds, expectorants, decongestants, etc.  Other than those options, get a pulse oxometer and thermometer.  If o2 level goes below 90, get to the ER.  If your temp gets too high (opinions vary on the number apparently), get to the ER.  Otherwise, ride it out, get lots of fluids, control pain/fever/symptoms.

I haven't had it, but know plenty who have.  So the above is what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, dcbc said:

My doctor has prescribed friends who he also treats with a steroid combo with something else, the type of second med I can't remember.  He's also prescribed the codeine cough syrup to a friend who had a really bad cough with it.  If you have a primary, call them and tell them you tested positive and see what they say.  Or you could pick up cough meds, expectorants, decongestants, etc.  Other than those options, get a pulse oxometer and thermometer.  If o2 level goes below 90, get to the ER.  If your temp gets too high (opinions vary on the number apparently), get to the ER.  Otherwise, ride it out, get lots of fluids, control pain/fever/symptoms.

I haven't had it, but know plenty who have.  So the above is what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

Probably Paxlovid.

Mom has now had another round of everything. Another steroid shot and she’s feeling better. Shes basically 3 weeks in now. Her primary care doc wanted to leave it alone, but he wasn’t there yesterday so the other doc gave her hydroxchloroquine. I’m a little bit pissed.

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Probably Paxlovid.

Mom has now had another round of everything. Another steroid shot and she’s feeling better. Shes basically 3 weeks in now. Her primary care doc wanted to leave it alone, but he wasn’t there yesterday so the other doc gave her hydroxchloroquine. I’m a little bit pissed.

Oh, no.  Good grief.

Copy/paste.

This is what I’m dealing with. -

“Oh I hope so.  I texted my dr yesterday and I asked if I could have another Meyers cocktail.

He said to come in and get my vitals checked and they were fine. (He was in his other office.)
They gave me the Meyers…it takes an hour.

So the other dr came in, he started the practice and he said that treatment of Covid is the only thing he and my dr disagree on.

He said he wanted me to take Hydrochoroquine and get 2 steroid shots, one yesterday and the other one Friday and I started the Hydro yesterday.

He wasn’t going to tell my dr….

Anyway, I feel much better.  We’ll see…the Hydro is for 15 days.🥰🥰🥰

so basically other than the Meyers Cocktail, which helps, we have 2 doctors in the same practice that can’t agree on how to treat this and they aren’t even talking about it and are actively giving contradictory advice. Good job.

• Rage+1 2

I just tested positive on an at home test. Vaxxed in April 2021 and boosted in December. This shit is no joke. I’ve got a fever,achy joints, sore throat/drainage, stuffy nose, headache. Didn’t really have any symptoms yesterday other than a mild tickle in my throat, but it hit me hard overnight. I just hope I didn’t give it to my wife or child

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 11:45 PM, justhookit said:

Copy/paste.

This is what I’m dealing with. -

“Oh I hope so.  I texted my dr yesterday and I asked if I could have another Meyers cocktail.

He said to come in and get my vitals checked and they were fine. (He was in his other office.)
They gave me the Meyers…it takes an hour.

So the other dr came in, he started the practice and he said that treatment of Covid is the only thing he and my dr disagree on.

He said he wanted me to take Hydrochoroquine and get 2 steroid shots, one yesterday and the other one Friday and I started the Hydro yesterday.

He wasn’t going to tell my dr….

Anyway, I feel much better.  We’ll see…the Hydro is for 15 days.🥰🥰🥰

so basically other than the Meyers Cocktail, which helps, we have 2 doctors in the same practice that can’t agree on how to treat this and they aren’t even talking about it and are actively giving contradictory advice. Good job.

And if the one dr always gives HQ along with some steroids, there will probably be a good response due to the steroids (known) but patients (and maybe even the dr) will ascribe the response to HQ.  Especially those that want to believe in it. 
Or conversely, if the HQ works, it is convoluted with steroid response. 

so I guess the regimen will likely reinforce whatever preconceptions exist. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I just tested positive on an at home test. Vaxxed in April 2021 and boosted in December. This shit is no joke. I’ve got a fever,achy joints, sore throat/drainage, stuffy nose, headache. Didn’t really have any symptoms yesterday other than a mild tickle in my throat, but it hit me hard overnight. I just hope I didn’t give it to my wife or child

Had the exact same thing down to the Vax dates. Just tested + 5 minutes ago.

Symptoms started Fri with headaches, which I never get even when hungover. But I have been under a tremendous amount of stress lately with irregular sleep etc .

With all of that and high grass pollen I figured I was in the  clear.

Symptoms are exactly as you describe. At home test took all of 10 seconds to flash +.

Went for a 10 mile bikeride in the hills yesterday and walked a round of disc golf with the kids this morning. 

I feel like shit, but the energy levels are ok.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Same for me. The headache is like worst hangover ever & coughing up oysters.    Eclinic appointment later.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I’m in San Francisco this weekend, one of the major cities that went on über lockdown for quite a while, and very few fucks are given right now. More masks than I saw in New York City a few weeks ago, but still a small minority.

I hope you are finding a good sushi place. Hakashi Japanese Sushi Bar & Grill was awesome. I sat at the bar and the owner was great to talk to. He just started making all kinds of Sashimi and putting it in front of me. I don't think he has a liquor license so I just bought a bottle of Jeffersons at the corner liquor store to have with dinner. 

Bonus. I did not catch covid there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Popped positive a few weeks ago. Never had more than a mild sore throat when I woke. I thought it was allergies or maybe just sleeping with my mouth open since it went away by late morning each day. A few days after I started having a sore throat, my kid’s friend who’d spent the night tested positive so I started testing myself. I then
Did have a headache and one day I was slightly tired. It took 3 days of testing until I finally popped a positive. Called the doctor and he gave me a Paxlovid prescription. I was probably on the last day or past the deadline for starting the treatment but did it anyway. Never felt another symptom after taking the first round of pills. O2 was a low of 92% but each day on Paxlovid, it went up daily until it got to to 98%. On my last day of pills we left on vacation.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Popped positive a few weeks ago. Never had more than a mild sore throat when I woke. I thought it was allergies or maybe just sleeping with my mouth open since it went away by late morning each day. A few days after I started having a sore throat, my kid’s friend who’d spent the night tested positive so I started testing myself. I then
Did have a headache and one day I was slightly tired. It took 3 days of testing until I finally popped a positive. Called the doctor and he gave me a Paxlovid prescription. I was probably on the last day or past the deadline for starting the treatment but did it anyway. Never felt another symptom after taking the first round of pills. O2 was a low of 92% but each day on Paxlovid, it went up daily until it got to to 98%. On my last day of pills we left on vacation.

Awesome it was mild and I’m no doctor but ain’t 92% o2 kinda hella low? Not go to hospital level by any means but definitely “yo, need to keep a eye on that”. Or was my fam just overly cautious?  

The first time we all got it don’t think any of the youngins or middle age (all reasonably fit) folk went below 96 or 97% but my mom at age 74 did worry us when she hit 90%. Maybe low 90s just freaked us out for the olds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Awesome it was mild and I’m no doctor but ain’t 92% o2 kinda hella low? Not go to hospital level by any means but definitely “yo, need to keep a eye on that”. Or was my fam just overly cautious?  

The first time we all got it don’t think any of the youngins or middle age (all reasonably fit) folk went below 96 or 97% but my mom at age 74 did worry us when she hit 90%. Maybe low 90s just freaked us out for the olds. 

Below 90, you head to the ER, or so I've read.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was a bit concerned but I felt no different at 92% than I felt at 98%. Below 90% being the point of concern was a what I had read as well.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hammerin Hank said:

All joking aside I popped early June in Amsterdam and it was a bitch, would have killed for some NyQuil.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Had the exact same thing down to the Vax dates. Just tested + 5 minutes ago.

Symptoms started Fri with headaches, which I never get even when hungover. But I have been under a tremendous amount of stress lately with irregular sleep etc .

With all of that and high grass pollen I figured I was in the  clear.

Symptoms are exactly as you describe. At home test took all of 10 seconds to flash +.

Went for a 10 mile bikeride in the hills yesterday and walked a round of disc golf with the kids this morning. 

I feel like shit, but the energy levels are ok.

Ha. I popped positive exactly as quickly as you did but mine might have even been 5 seconds. My symptoms lasted less than 48 hours and were never even as bad as bad allergies.

are your kids positive too? Trust me I’m firmly in the camp of this variant is now a minor annoyance but actively getting out and around people is still something I would not do.

Just to update my saga, 3 of the 4 people in my house last week are now positive and so is the person that was in the car with 2 of them on the way down. I suspect the 4th has it but he feels ok and isn’t getting tested. They also managed to take it back to Dallas (which I guess is good because that’s where they brought it from?) and infect 2 other people so far. Now 3 of the positives are on a road trip to Virginia for a move. On the bright side, we did 2 bbq dinners with friends while they were here and so far all of those people are fine. Another day or two and they should be in the clear. I’m a firm believer in outdoor spread is difficult.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Welp. COVID finally got me. Whodathunkit that a week long conference in Vegas may cause some exposures 🤷

Fortunately my symptoms are pretty mild. No fever and feeling not great not terrible so far. Definitely have a scratchy throat

Glad it's mild.  HangInThereCat.jpg :)

23 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And if the one dr always gives HQ along with some steroids, there will probably be a good response due to the steroids (known) but patients (and maybe even the dr) will ascribe the response to HQ.  Especially those that want to believe in it. 
Or conversely, if the HQ works, it is convoluted with steroid response. 

so I guess the regimen will likely reinforce whatever preconceptions exist. 

Exactly.

my mom is still sick she’s on day 20 something now. She’s testing negative but still feels bad and isn’t getting out of bed. I hate to think what would have happened if she got one of the earlier more severe variants.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/23/2022 at 7:13 PM, grazinhorn said:

Not picking on anyone, but I read a lot of comments about comparisons to seasonal allergies, cedar fever, a garden variety cold, and a "mild" flu.  As someone who has nasal allergies to a billion things, my season is every season.  I guess the good thing is I'm used to a fair amount of feeling shitty (note: no shot treatment - I'm a puss about shots, plus I've moved around a bit and was told that would affect the treatment outcome).  Anyway, as someone who has dealt with all of those, I would put them at

seasonal allergies (even my near constant shit) < garden variety cold <<< cedar fever <<<<< any actual diagnosed flu

Just me probably, but these are pretty much all on different levels so it's hard to dial in on how bad it is for someone in any given case.

Worse than the flu is pretty fucking shitty, imo.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:15 PM, justhookit said:

Probably Paxlovid.

I started feeling better within about 6-8 hours of my first paxlovid pill. 

Been on 4.5 days of Paxlovid…Sore throat still pretty good but feeling ok otherwise. My biggest issue is this rash that is apparently from Covid. Weird thing is it started about 3 days prior to me testing positive. Has shown up 2 other places on my body, almost starts like poison ivy, now it’s dark red bumps. Fuck this shit.

I'm 5 days after testing positive and now pretty much back to normal.  I've had allergy spells that have been worse, but it is strange that yesterday (day 5) I finally lost my sense of smell and taste..  I contacted my doctor the day after testing positive and told him I had mild symptoms.  He just told me to take large doses of vitamins D3, C, quercetin, and Zinc (immunity boosters), and to take OTC cold/cough medication as needed, and acetaminophen or ibuprofen to reduce any fever.  

On 6/23/2022 at 10:24 PM, justhookit said:

It’s better than her husband, a gyn surgeon that prescibed himself ivermectin when he got sick 2 weeks ago. . He’s fine. I’m never going to hear the end of this.

I gave my dog his monthly ivermectin a couple of weeks ago as well and he's also doing just fine.  You should let him know.