COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

I was wrong about austin peaking. Just a quick blip. I’d call it a shoulder, but the trend is still looking pretty linear instead of exponential. And a fairly flat slope at that.  Back to 100 in the hospital and 15 in icu. Still 16-20% of omicron highs. 

still unsure if hospital data parses out the ancillary positive infections with this data and only reports treatment for Covid symptoms, or it’s still one lump sum like before. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was wrong about austin peaking. Just a quick blip. I’d call it a shoulder, but the trend is still looking pretty linear instead of exponential. And a fairly flat slope at that.  Back to 100 in the hospital and 15 in icu. Still 16-20% of omicron highs. 

still unsure if hospital data parses out the ancillary positive infections with this data and only reports treatment for Covid symptoms, or it’s still one lump sum like before. 

From today's reading:  one of the current two dominant omicron sub variants is apparently super contagious/evasive.  Illness purportedly relatively mild though.

Looks like quite a few of us got it this past week. The first day was pretty awful, but generally just feel tired. Ever since then (Wednesday), my fever has been low but my throat is so gritty, especially in the AM. 

Definitely regret loosening my masking regiment while traveling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just out of ICU and straight back home. Had a bad reaction to the anti-virals and could not keep any food or fluids down, which is apparently bad for Type II diabetics. Took about 48-hours to get my electrolytes straight and reverse what was a hardcore case of diabetic ketoacidosis.

The "precautionary" measure is what almost did me in. Huge shoutout to my nurses in ICU, particularly the two Astros fans "behind enemy lines" that made certain I didn't miss Thursday's Yankees' game (and, remdesivir). 

• Hook 'Em 8

Well, I got the Rona, my wife has it, my 11 YO, my 9 YO but not my 7 year old. 
I had a 104.1 degree fever at the worst on Wednesday night. Was pretty miserable. Body aches all over. Pretty much over it by today I thin.my. No loss of taste or smell. No symptoms that are even remotely different from a normal type flu. 
wasn’t ever super concerned about what would happen when I got this but was a little concerned as a smoker and a great big fat person that I could roll snake eyes and have it go badly. It didn’t though. After the first 24 hours which was pretty rough this thing hasn’t been that bad. 
Wife seems to have the worst of it. She was 12 or 24 hours behind me but she’s still feeling pretty shitty. 

• Hook 'Em 7

6 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Just out of ICU and straight back home. Had a bad reaction to the anti-virals and could not keep any food or fluids down, which is apparently bad for Type II diabetics. Took about 48-hours to get my electrolytes straight and reverse what was a hardcore case of diabetic ketoacidosis.

The "precautionary" measure is what almost did me in. Huge shoutout to my nurses in ICU, particularly the two Astros fans "behind enemy lines" that made certain I didn't miss Thursday's Yankees' game (and, remdesivir). 

idiocracy GIF

My 5 yo brought another Omicron home from preschool last Friday.  We all got it mid-February as well (PCR confirmed) from their previous daycare. Nobody ever had a fever this round. Unvaxxed 5yo and unvaxxed 3yo with runny nose and cough for 5 days then tested negative. Wife and I are triple Moderna’d plus the previous Omicron infection, and this round my wife was asymptomatic while I had 36 hour headache and stuffy sinus, scratchy throat, barking cough. Today was my third day without symptoms but I still tested positive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Welp, looks like it finally may have gotten me. Woke up on 7/3 feeling a little off with a bit of a dry cough. We headed to the lake yesterday afternoon, made burgers and I started to feel achy. Woke up in the middle of the night, was super achy with a headache, still had the cough, mild congestion. 2 Advil and a Benadryl and back to bed. Sweated it out. This morning, I'm up and about, but still a bit off. Will test tomorrow when we get home. But for now, I'm just avoiding family members and smoking some meats.

This might be a cold, but for as quickly as this one has been going around, I'd be surprised at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Welp, looks like it finally may have gotten me. Woke up on 7/3 feeling a little off with a bit of a dry cough. We headed to the lake yesterday afternoon, made burgers and I started to feel achy. Woke up in the middle of the night, was super achy with a headache, still had the cough, mild congestion. 2 Advil and a Benadryl and back to bed. Sweated it out. This morning, I'm up and about, but still a bit off. Will test tomorrow when we get home. But for now, I'm just avoiding family members and smoking some meats.

This might be a cold, but for as quickly as this one has been going around, I'd be surprised at this point.

South Austin: Surly Hide-and-Seek Champion.

image.gif.4055ae4f7db717d9440f5f5f760b01af.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Yeah at this point I just assume anyone that has symptoms like that has it. Especially the headache part it feels way different from a sinus/allergy headache. The other dead giveaway is the scratchy throat so if you don’t have that maybe you’re ok.

we are so crowded down here in Port A I’m guessing everyone who hasn’t had it in the last 2 months will have it by next week.

• Like 1

Good buddy tested positive Friday. I was with watching a fame Wednesday. Saturday something hit me hard. Tested twice and both times negative. Assuming it is bad allergy since shit is high right now. Will test again tomorrow and in the mean time just stay at home and pretend I have it. Fun times. 

Yeah at this point I just assume anyone that has symptoms like that has it. Especially the headache part it feels way different from a sinus/allergy headache. The other dead giveaway is the scratchy throat so if you don’t have that maybe you’re ok.
we are so crowded down here in Port A I’m guessing everyone who hasn’t had it in the last 2 months will have it by next week.
Throat has been fine so far. I'm nasally, but the congestion isn't draining yet.

Can't figure out where I got it.

Somehow me and my immediate family have managed to avoid it as well. The wife and I are triple vaxxed and the son is double. We take no precautions to avoid it. We have both traveled, gone to both indoor and outdoor concerts, as well as many other large public gatherings. I’ll ask my doctor about another booster in September when I go in to get my flu shot.

Serious question from someone who is not anti-vaxx. At what point do you stop getting them? I just don't see the point anymore unless you're in an at risk group.

To avoid having severe symptoms. Maybe the mild case was the result of the strain, maybe it was the vaccine. Why risk it just to save 15 minutes of your time twice a year.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

To avoid having severe symptoms. Maybe the mild case was the result of the strain, maybe it was the vaccine. Why risk it just to save 15 minutes of your time twice a year.

This

58 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Well the vaccine made me feel like shit. I'd be down for once a year probably.

Feeling like shit for a day is preferable to a more severe case or passing it on to other people, including my mom who can't be vaxxed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I finally tested negative this morning, two weeks to the day after exposure.

A few dates just so you know what to expect:

Tuesday 6/21. Infection date.

Friday 6/24 Symptoms begin with head aches.

Sat/Sunday 6/25.26 Symptoms get slightly worse but no loss of energy. Proceeded with life as if I had allergies.

Late Sunday. Tested +.

Mon-Fri. Alternating good day with bad day.

Fri. Tested + again 

Sat Sun Mon. Feeling good and sleeping well.

Tuesday. Tested negative.

Advice. Take it easy. Lots of water and headache meds.

• Hook 'Em 4

I’m on day 6 and this thing is not a ton of fun. 
day 1 and 2- fever alternating between 102-104

day 3- took kids to movies and barely made it back home.  I had texted negative,  I nosy in my house had a positive test, when I woke up in the morning feeling ok and with no fever or anything else I figured I was ok. While at the movies wife tested positive (she was at home) and I got hike and tested positive 

day 4- head stuff started happening. No energy 

day 5 and 6, more of the same. 

also- diarrhea for most of the past 6 days. 
no major respiratory problems but wheezy the last 3 days. 

This thing, while clearly not going to kill me, is lousy and I’m ready to be over it and feeling good again, but not expecting to any time soon based upon lack of energy, breaking out in a sweat anytime I do something (dishes, garbage, feed the kids etc)

• Hook 'Em 3

Well, I officially tested positive when we got home from the lake today.  Home test was like, uh, yeah, how dark can I make this line and how fast.

So far, nights have been not so great.  That could be in part to my saying "screw you virus" and having a couple of beers on nights one and two.  But mostly, just some low key aches, random chills, dry, but not persistent cough, and general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.  I haven't needed more than advil and benadryl to stay on top of it though.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Well, I officially tested positive when we got home from the lake today.  Home test was like, uh, yeah, how dark can I make this line and how fast.

So far, nights have been not so great.  That could be in part to my saying "screw you virus" and having a couple of beers on nights one and two.  But mostly, just some low key aches, random chills, dry, but not persistent cough, and general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.  I haven't needed more than advil and benadryl to stay on top of it though.

Don’t die on me, man!

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

I attribute that to the copious amounts of drugs and alcohol. Are you saying I might have COVID?

11 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Or the fact that it is a literal blast furnace outside.

I’m talking about inside the a/c where it’s nice and cool. Yeah- it’s hot. 

Just now, South Austin said:

Don’t die on me, man!

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.  No fever.  No sore throat.  Haven't really been achy since the first day.  No shortness of breath so far.  Such a weird veeroos.

Fuck this inconsistency for best practices. The CDC says that five days after you stop showing symptoms you're fine to go out and about again, despite having a positive at home test. However, my understanding of the at home tests is that a positive result indicates some degree of active COVID in your system.

I've been symptom free since Saturday, but am still testing positive. I have some friends wedding this weekend that's been delayed for two fkn years, and I'd really like to be able to go, but I can't stand the thought of potentially exposing all of their family to COVID.

And my wife is still testing negative so we've still been quarantining at home since she still goes into her office with coworkers 4 days a week. What's the right course of action here? I don't want to potentially expose anyone to COVID

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Fuck this inconsistency for best practices. The CDC says that five days after you stop showing symptoms you're fine to go out and about again, despite having a positive at home test. However, my understanding of the at home tests is that a positive result indicates some degree of active COVID in your system.

I've been symptom free since Saturday, but am still testing positive. I have some friends wedding this weekend that's been delayed for two fkn years, and I'd really like to be able to go, but I can't stand the thought of potentially exposing all of their family to COVID.

And my wife is still testing negative so we've still been quarantining at home since she still goes into her office with coworkers 4 days a week. What's the right course of action here? I don't want to potentially expose anyone to COVID

Our pediatrician told us once you tested positive, there was no point to continue testing, as you could test positive for more than a month despite not being able to spread. If no symptoms after 5 days from symptom onset, you can end isolation, but still wear mask until day 10 from symptom onset. After day 10, you can start licking doorknobs.

This is what we followed.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Probably unpopular opinion on the Surly, but go! If you feel like you can't go to a wedding 7 DAYS AFTER the CDC says you are clear to return to society, WTF are we even doing?  I'm sure there will be attendees there with full blown Covid, many who probably have no idea.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Our pediatrician told us once you tested positive, there was no point to continue testing, as you could test positive for more than a month despite not being able to spread. If no symptoms after 5 days from symptom onset, you can end isolation, but still wear mask until day 10 from symptom onset. After day 10, you can start licking doorknobs.

This is what we followed.

Yeah unless it’s changed, AGAIN,  the CDC was saying that if no symptoms and no fever there was no need to test again after 5 days from your positive test. Who the fuck knows? They sure don’t. But they’ve got a handy calculator.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah unless it’s changed, AGAIN,  the CDC was saying that if no symptoms and no fever there was no need to test again after 5 days from your positive test. Who the fuck knows? They sure don’t. But they’ve got a handy calculator.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

Actually it's no fever and improving symptoms.