COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

18 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

No idea.  All I can tell you is the test results and corresponding illness.  

This one has been worse than New Year(Assuming Omicron).  It has been about equal to my first infection, only difference being  I haven’t lost smell and taste. I am vax’d and haven’t had severe symptoms with any episodes. My first positive was PCR, mid Oct.  Last two are home tests for me personally.  But other family members have had PCR test each time.

I have young kids and we are around people a lot would be my guess.

Damn 3X in 9 months sucks.  If it continues mutating to evade immunity I'm not sure we'll ever be able to formulate boosters to catch up to it.  The early Omicron boosters being worked on now may already be obsolete.   At least very few people are having severe symptoms at this point but still a pain in the ass.

28 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Damn 3X in 9 months sucks.  If it continues mutating to evade immunity I'm not sure we'll ever be able to formulate boosters to catch up to it.  The early Omicron boosters being worked on now may already be obsolete.   At least very few people are having severe symptoms at this point but still a pain in the ass.

Here's hoping it turns into something like H1N1 (which is still with us as a part of the seasonal flu).

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife's company had a sales conference at the Gaylord Texan a couple of weeks ago. They had eleven sales associates fly in. Of those eleven, eight came down with COVID. Four other attendees, including the CEO, and former CEO apparently got it from those eight. It seems like the airlines are the major spreaders at this time. If you fly commercial, you have greater than a 50% chance of catching COVID on the plane, using those numbers above.

CHIEF 

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

In Austin the number of documented cases has gone up 3 fold over the last 6 weeks but hospitalizations have not nearly followed the same trajectory, especially considering there are likely a shitload of cases going untested or caught by at-home tests.  There are still <50 hospitalized in the MSA.  So it looks like there is a big difference in this wave thru some combo of weaker strain and existing antibodies.

There has been a little twitch upward for admissions this week, but barely significant of it even is, and it could be that people fought through the long weekend before giving in to going to the hospital. 

This is the first time we are above 40 in the  hospital at one time since we went below 40 a couple months ago.  Need more data to see if it’s variance or the beginning of a trend. 

My wife's company had a sales conference at the Gaylord Texan a couple of weeks ago. They had eleven sales associates fly in. Of those eleven, eight came down with COVID. Four other attendees, including the CEO, and former CEO apparently got it from those eight. It seems like the airlines are the major spreaders at this time. If you fly commercial, you have greater than a 50% chance of catching COVID on the plane, using those numbers above.
CHIEF 

Are masks still required on planes?

My other half came back from a convention in Vegas last week, and the we all (us and 3 kids) hopped in the car for a 5 hour trip up north.

Welp, Vegas patient zero came down with it Saturday (after everyone who went to Vegas texting and saying they got it). By Monday 2 of the three kids tested positive. And then I tested positive Tuesday.

it’s all just moderate cold symptoms so nothing too crazy. It’s basically settled in my throat now and I can’t talk. Some would say that’s for the best.

The worst part is the kids being excluded from day care for the next two weeks.

I was vaxed and double boosted so this shit is extremely contagious.

48 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF 

Not following your detective work here.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah...I mean, the conference time they were all together at the Gaylord is MUCH more likely to be the source.  Seriously, airplanes have been shown to be a much lesser source of transmission -- not impossible, to be sure, but it's much more likely to be sustained personal contact elsewhere that does it.

In any case, yeah, it does seem to be going around pretty solidly right now.

Nope

As I’ve mentioned before, I may make it SOP for me to wear one on an airplane. Every single time I’ve taken a long flight I have ended up with a “cold” for a few days at my destination. Last year I flew to Boston while masks were still required and had no issues with colds.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

As I’ve mentioned before, I may make it SOP for me to wear one on an airplane. Every single time I’ve taken a long flight I have ended up with a “cold” for a few days at my destination. Last year I flew to Boston while masks were still required and had no issues with colds.

Yeah the data is mostly with everyone on the plane masking. Doubt it can parse out how well everyone was masking though. 

much like me at work right now being one of like 5 out of 80 that are still wearing a mask, I wonder how much help it provides when most others choose not to wear one in an environment. 

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I would be very interested in what the data shows on why hospitalizations are so much lower with this wave, the difference in contribution between it being a weaker strain vs people being vaxxed vs people having previous infections.

At this point it seems like it's pretty impossible to parse out with any certainty.    The vast majority of people have some form of antibody protection.  And you have some without that probably "think" they had it but not sure or conversely thought they had a Cold but actually had mild COVID.   I'm sure we'll see some hospitalization data on vax/unvax but when probably more than 2/3 of the population also had natural antibodies before this wave, vax status won't tell the whole story anymore.

But whatever the reason (weaker strain, antibody protection, or more likely, some of both) it's clear this wave is generally "mild".  I mean it's all basically played out exactly as the medical professionals that weren't COVID alarmist predicted in late 2021/early 2022 (and were shunned at the time by more conservative medical community).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think you overstate the "alarmist" point of view.  Even most of the more "conservative" folks said that the likely end-game of the virus was going to be an endemic, less-harmful disease.....they just emphasized that we were gonna go through a lotta shit to get there.  I'd say a million dead is a lotta shit.

Agree.  And I think you can go back much further than late 2021 to see many of the scientists and medical professionals predicting this.  Plenty were talking about this as the ultimate state, by late 2020.

It's just that there was no way to know the timing of the shift, nor how much shit we'd endure, before getting there.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

It's just that there was no way to know the timing of the shift, nor how much shit we'd endure, before getting there.

A whole lot of this.  People like to ignore the predicate of most of these statements: "well, this is a completely novel illness, so we can't know for sure how it plays out.  Worst case scenario is that it stays deadly for a long time, and mutates to evade vaccination and infection antibodies.  Best case is that we knock it back with vaccines and it mutates into a more benign form quickly and stays there.  The actual path will probably be somewhere in between those extremes."  That's not a "prediction" that COVID was going to be super-deadly for 10 years.  Rather, it noted the possibility, because this is a whole new disease, and we didn't and still don't know exactly how it will behave.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Left Coast said:

My other half came back from a convention in Vegas last week, and the we all (us and 3 kids) hopped in the car for a 5 hour trip up north.

Welp, Vegas patient zero came down with it Saturday (after everyone who went to Vegas texting and saying they got it). By Monday 2 of the three kids tested positive. And then I tested positive Tuesday.

it’s all just moderate cold symptoms so nothing too crazy. It’s basically settled in my throat now and I can’t talk. Some would say that’s for the best.

The worst part is the kids being excluded from day care for the next two weeks.

I was vaxed and double boosted so this shit is extremely contagious.

the vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting it.

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

Sorry, there were about 40 sales associates there. Out of eleven associates that flew in, eight ended up with COVID. Out of the 28 that drove to the convention, only four ended up catching it. Three that flew didn't catch it, but 24 that drove also didn't catch it. Hope that clears it up.

CHIEF

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I think you overstate the "alarmist" point of view.  

I don't know man.  At least not as of early 2021.  It was argued about a lot in the CR thread.   I posted or referenced articles/podcasts discussion positions that were very much attacked by other doctors (and like minded posters). I followed it all closely at the time because I pretty much bought into what people like Dr. Zubin Damania was selling when he predicted the Omicron wave would wash over the country effectively vaccinating or boosting enough people that it would turn endemic absent some new mutation that evaded immunity and more severe. 

I'm certainly not claiming those were majority positions so if that is what was inferred maybe I am overstating.  And I always thought you always had a pretty even keeled opinion.

But there are still a lot of people out there, from a risk tolerance perspective, that have changed permanently or at least are still pretty scarred.  And I'm talking about people inherently "low risk" by definition.  Not older/immunocompromised, etc.  Hell, my wife has a friend under 40 that has had 4 shots (husband as well), their 5 year old has had 3 AND they have all had it twice (Omicron and Delta), not a big deal either time, and they are STILL paranoid as hell about it.   That mom is furious that her 2 year old daughter (that has also had it twice with no issues) can't be vaccinated yet.  And these are educated professionals.  It kind of blows my mind.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

But whatever the reason (weaker strain, antibody protection, or more likely, some of both) it's clear this wave is generally "mild".  I mean it's all basically played out exactly as the medical professionals that weren't COVID alarmist predicted in late 2021/early 2022 (and were shunned at the time by more conservative medical community).

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I think you overstate the "alarmist" point of view.  Even most of the more "conservative" folks said that the likely end-game of the virus was going to be an endemic, less-harmful disease.....they just emphasized that we were gonna go through a lotta shit to get there.  I'd say a million dead is a lotta shit.

I mentioned earlier that H1N1 is still with us as a mild member of the seasonal flu strains or whatever and that maybe COVID-19 is headed that way, but I'd be damned curious if somebody has charted COVID-19 against the Spanish flu epidemic and how they stack up with the waves, because the Spanish Flu had several distinct waves/periods before it petered/burned out.

This is my first time catching COVID, and it's rough, but I can handle this, as can most people.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Sorry, there were about 40 sales associates there. Out of eleven associates that flew in, eight ended up with COVID. Out of the 28 that drove to the convention, only four ended up catching it. Three that flew didn't catch it, but 24 that drove also didn't catch it. Hope that clears it up.

CHIEF

confused-math.gif

I mean....where do I carry the 2?  That's what I need help with.....  Also, did one train leaving Indianapolis heading west leave at the same time as a train leaving Billings heading east?  That seems relevant here, based on my extensive experience with middle school math.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 1:18 PM, TexArcher said:

Think I might have it.  Started getting a sore throat and nasal congestion last night.  Seems to be getting worse throughout the day and now I've got some fatigue and a chill and everything just feels off.  No cough, but I'm having to clear my throat a lot.  No fever.

Those of you who've had it -- how long did you wait to do a test?  From what I understand, a lot of people test after a day or two and get a false negative because it takes more like 3 to 5 days for the test to detect it.  Sound about right?

Just tested about 48 hrs after symptoms started and it's positive.

All the standard symptoms are here now: cough (this is not as bad as I'd expected, though), chest feels tight, temp is 101, fatigue, headache, slightly out of breath just from walking to the pisser, etc.

I feel like shit, don't get me wrong, but if this is it, then I'm glad to be getting it over with, especially while I still have some vaccine in me from December.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

confused-math.gif

I mean....where do I carry the 2?  That's what I need help with.....  Also, did one train leaving Indianapolis heading west leave at the same time as a train leaving Billings heading east?  That seems relevant here, based on my extensive experience with middle school math.

CHIEF

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

confused-math.gif

Don't forget, there is a treadmill in the equation as well.  How is the plane going to take off unless it generates more lift to counteract the treadmill it's on.

treadmill fail GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting it.

Well yeah, it’s not a total preventative, but supposedly it makes symptoms milder or even non-existent.

Given that I feel like complete shit today (fever, lost voice, aches, breathing difficulties, etc) I shudder to think what would have happened with no vax.  Of course our 6 year old (vaccinated) has continuously tested negative while our 4 year olds (both ineligible for the vaccine) tested positive. So maybe it does help some people not get it?

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Calculating Russell Crowe GIF

20 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

Well yeah, it’s not a total preventative, but supposedly it makes symptoms milder or even non-existent.

Given that I feel like complete shit today (fever, lost voice, aches, breathing difficulties, etc) I shudder to think what would have happened with no vax.  Of course our 6 year old (vaccinated) has continuously tested negative while our 4 year olds (both ineligible for the vaccine) tested positive. So maybe it does help some people not get it?

Its a weird virus.  niece got it In Oct of 2020 at school, quarantined with her roommate in a dorm room and the roommate never got sick at all.

14 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

The vaccine provides some protection, but is not 100% effective. No vaccination is. Consult a physician about the efficacy of vaccinations for you.

Thanks. I was just commenting on the posters statement "I was vaxed and double boosted so this shit is extremely contagious"

The vaccine doesn't reduce your chance of getting Covid based on contagiousnesss.

12 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Not really but I see where you are coming from now. My immediate family has done probably 40 flights in the last 6 months with nobody getting it. Until my dad got it about 3 weeks ago and he hadn’t been on a plane in over a month. He did got to a conference 5 days before he popped positive. And wait for it, see below

On 5/29/2022 at 8:48 AM, justhookit said:

Dad finally tested negative yesterday and went home. That was day 14 of Covid prison. His bitch wife made him test again when he got home. I told him if it was positive he needed to turn around and drive back and never go home again. Unfortunately it was negative. My girlfriend and I never got it (also as far as we know we’ve never had it) but my house is set up in a way that it was really easy to keep him isolated. All we did was leave him food outside the door and occasionally sat outside with him on the back deck, but upwind and at least 10 feet apart.

Covid cases are spiking here in Port A again. Weekly cases went from 0 to 1 to 2 and now 9. They are out of test kits at the CVS. Memorial Day spike is going to be a thing. Thankfully these alll seem to be really mild cases.

I just popped positive for the first time. Vaxxed and one booster.The timing of it makes me think maybe it wasn’t from him, but who knows? At any rate I can look back and think maybe I was feeling off 4 days ago. I had a slight headache then that went away and what I can best describe as a tickley throat only it was on the roof of my mouth. So pretty much my normal allergies. That all went away but then tonight I woke up at 1 in the morning when the coyotes went nuts. Noticed my headache was back and I was wide awake and had the free tests, so why not? Never would have tested if my Dad hadn’t been here. It took like 45 seconds to show positive so I used a binax test that also was positive. I feel fine. No fever no cough. A slight headache and still that scratchy throat thing on the roof of my mouth. Thankfully that’s it for now and hope it stays that way. Happy I got the shots and the booster.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Some friends went to WDW this past week and all 5 tested positive for COVID today.

Yep.  Pretty much a given.  And if I had it to do over again I would take COVID again over 20K+ steps daily wearing an N95 nonstop in Florida Heat/Humidity trying to avoid it.  I think Disney is the ultimate assumption of the risk during any wave. 

After 2+ years, COVID finally came to our family.  My wife popped a positive this morning, the first one of us.  Myself and the 2 kids (5 and 2) are still negative.  Our (26 year old, in shape) nanny is too scared to come in and the kids can't go to school the rest of the week since they've been exposed.  Just me and the kids the rest of the week.  Going to be a great time.  Send booze.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Stringer said:

After 2+ years, COVID finally came to our family.  My wife popped a positive this morning, the first one of us.  Myself and the 2 kids (5 and 2) are still negative.  Our (26 year old, in shape) nanny is too scared to come in and the kids can't go to school the rest of the week since they've been exposed.  Just me and the kids the rest of the week.  Going to be a great time.  Send booze.

Tell your nanny there's no COVID at my house.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Hope all is well and everything stays mild.

• Hook 'Em 1