COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

34 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I felt like I was getting a cold Sunday night. Tested positive Monday morning. My 4 year old caught it at the same time. My wife and 2 year old tested positive today. Pretty mild so far.

Yeah same story over the past couple weeks for pretty much everyone I know, that hadn't already had it.

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

Checking in. Daycare called at 10, 2 positives in his class. Got the little man home, and he tested positive immediately on rapid test. Been at daycare since last may, so not sure how we dodged it for so long. He's two, so can't really isolate, so I'm sure I will not be far behind. 

Good luck.  Got called to come pick up our 3 year old this morning.  She has fever/fatigue but no other symptoms.  I tested her with the home kit and it was negative but I am not totally sold it’s not COVID since it’s going around so bad and I didn’t have the heart to swab her nose as deep as I probably should have in order to get an accurate result.

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Travis and Hays are at "medium" risk (probably fallout from Memorial Day/etc.).

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/cdc-moves-travis-hays-counties-to-medium-covid-risk/

It’s also probably due to summer travel, especially since very few people are wearing masks in the airport and on planes. 

2 hours ago, scottsins said:

I’m day 10 since my positive test. Only thing that I can not shake is the notable physical fatigue that has resulted in some very real brain fog/memory/typing issues at work.

I’m not drowsy or sleepy, just tapped.

Well past day 10, but still have that fatigue, but improving every day (forcing myself to get out in the morning and walk a few miles).

And have a slight nagging cough that I've been told could hang around.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/11/2022 at 5:51 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Well past day 10, but still have that fatigue, but improving every day (forcing myself to get out in the morning and walk a few miles).

And have a slight nagging cough that I've been told could hang around.

Sounds like it sucks.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Could be worse, I've got friends who have got the long haul stuff, etc.

Glad I didn't get the early waves without being vaccinated.

Yeah, it was last Tuesday that I tested positive, had about three days of severe-allergy type symptoms, then another couple days of a lingering cough and sore throat.  But my energy is back up to near 100% and I consider myself lucky that I faced this strain which seems much milder than earlier strains, plus I have no doubt that being vaxxed and boosted helped diminish the severity and length of the illness.

Overall I'm sort of glad to have had it, but only because it was so mild.

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

I work with a lady who didn't get vaccinated and ended up almost dying.  She's been back at work for a couple of months and she's still short of breath every time I meet her in the hallway.

Is she short of breath because of COVID or because she's meeting you in the hallway?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I work with a lady who didn't get vaccinated and ended up almost dying.  She's been back at work for a couple of months and she's still short of breath every time I meet her in the hallway.

Small price to pay for her freedoms. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 2:50 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Checking in. Daycare called at 10, 2 positives in his class. Got the little man home, and he tested positive immediately on rapid test. Been at daycare since last may, so not sure how we dodged it for so long. He's two, so can't really isolate, so I'm sure I will not be far behind. 

Little man handling it like a champ, just a runny nose and occasional cough. Demanded we go swimming twice today.

Wife tested positive Friday night, been like a bad flu for her. On advice from several friends that have had it recently, tried to get a script for Paxlovid, but was denied. Only person we have talked to that has been denied. 

Still no symptoms for me, and daily morning tests coming up clean. Even after accidentally eating a pickle that my son handed to me that he had been eating.

Weird virus.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

So is the long haul COVID confined to the OG strain, or are people getting this with the more recent Omicron?

Plenty of Delta long haulers out there.  But I haven't heard of many chronic crons

21 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Day 2 after positive test. Feel like a huge pile of shit. Fever and fatigue are killing me right now. Slight cough and congestion but the I'll feel fine for a few hours then boom fever and chills hit me hard. 

This is me.  

3 year old sent home sick from daycare on Friday.  She had high fever and woke up in the night with croup/stridor that scared us.  I tested her Saturday AM and it was negative.  I started feeling bad Sunday afternoon and tested myself, negative.  Sunday night I felt fucking awful.  102.3 fever, chills like a mf, soaked my sheets with sweat.  Same thing into Monday morning.  Wife started feeling bad Monday after noon.  We all 3 tested positive Monday.  Since then it’s been a rollercoaster.  I’ll feel fine for a few hours then terrible.  Luckily the 3 year old seems totally well and the 6 year old hasn’t gotten it.  This is the worst I’ve felt since I had mono in high school.  Hopefully it doesn’t get worse.

Cant believe we haven’t gotten it before now.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 7:42 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Little man handling it like a champ, just a runny nose and occasional cough. Demanded we go swimming twice today.

Wife tested positive Friday night, been like a bad flu for her. On advice from several friends that have had it recently, tried to get a script for Paxlovid, but was denied. Only person we have talked to that has been denied. 

Still no symptoms for me, and daily morning tests coming up clean. Even after accidentally eating a pickle that my son handed to me that he had been eating.

Weird virus.

Apparently my "superior immune system" comments to my wife for the last 5 days were a karma magnet. Positive this morning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

FInally got covid and this shit is contagious!  And Vastly, vastly, vastly underreported.  I would estimate that for every positive text the healthcare system says have tested positive, I would bet the number is double if not triple, that now rising infection rate.

I have been going out to Bars and Restaurants from hours before the shutdown,  to days after the reopening.  Never got the Bug even after a tone of SXSW concerts and whatnot.  I know my undoing. Ironically caused by the Covid my sister caught on her Memorial Day week travels.  So she gave me tix to see Herb Alpert at the Paramount.  I'm not normally a big music Paramount guy because I like to move around and party at concerts.  But she gifted me the seats and the wife and I went.  I remember the guy next to me dab his nose about a minute after I sat down, and thought, "damn it I better not get covid."  As I was heading to float the Comal (plug for The Other Place) for our renewed annual trip after a covid 2 year break.

3 days later I felt a little off and a day later tested positive.  Low grade fever and light cold symptom, barely runny nose and just sort of a sinus head pressure behind the eys and forehead, along with overall dull headache.  Ultimately I got 6 people sick over the weekend at the River.  But what is so fascinating to me is how varied the responses are.  Wife sniffles, scratchy throat, but no fever.  SIL, and his Mom same symptoms as me light.  Youngest Daughter testing today, but will be positive with symptoms like wife. Interesting my older adult daughter had it the worst, 101+ fever, and basic body aches and flu like symptoms.  Everyone was vaccinated and had a single booster.

Only two of the 7 positive tests would be noted in any rising Covid infection count.  With so many at home tests out there, I would be surprised if even a third of the folks who have actually tested positive make it into the official infection counts.  SO... either go get a second booster, or assume you are going to have covid in the next 6 weeks.  I guess on the bright side I lasted the same amount of time as Anthony Fauci, and I know I had a lot more fun.

38 minutes ago, horn4life said:

FInally got covid and this shit is contagious!  And Vastly, vastly, vastly underreported.  I would estimate that for every positive text the healthcare system says have tested positive, I would bet the number is double if not triple, that now rising infection rate.

I have been going out to Bars and Restaurants from hours before the shutdown,  to days after the reopening.  Never got the Bug even after a tone of SXSW concerts and whatnot.  I know my undoing. Ironically caused by the Covid my sister caught on her Memorial Day week travels.  So she gave me tix to see Herb Alpert at the Paramount.  I'm not normally a big music Paramount guy because I like to move around and party at concerts.  But she gifted me the seats and the wife and I went.  I remember the guy next to me dab his nose about a minute after I sat down, and thought, "damn it I better not get covid."  As I was heading to float the Comal (plug for The Other Place) for our renewed annual trip after a covid 2 year break.

3 days later I felt a little off and a day later tested positive.  Low grade fever and light cold symptom, barely runny nose and just sort of a sinus head pressure behind the eys and forehead, along with overall dull headache.  Ultimately I got 6 people sick over the weekend at the River.  But what is so fascinating to me is how varied the responses are.  Wife sniffles, scratchy throat, but no fever.  SIL, and his Mom same symptoms as me light.  Youngest Daughter testing today, but will be positive with symptoms like wife. Interesting my older adult daughter had it the worst, 101+ fever, and basic body aches and flu like symptoms.  Everyone was vaccinated and had a single booster.

Only two of the 7 positive tests would be noted in any rising Covid infection count.  With so many at home tests out there, I would be surprised if even a third of the folks who have actually tested positive make it into the official infection counts.  SO... either go get a second booster, or assume you are going to have covid in the next 6 weeks.  I guess on the bright side I lasted the same amount of time as Anthony Fauci, and I know I had a lot more fun.

Question of extreme relevance:  Why did you capitalize the words "Bars" and "Restaurants" to give them proper noun status?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I can join the first timers club. Tested positive this morning. My son also tested positive. Wife has not tested yet.

Sunday I felt like I got hit by a truck. I didn’t think anything of it because I was sun burnt and had been in the lake all weekend. Chalked it up to a bad cold or allergies or exhaustion. Felt way better Monday - just worn down and a little snotty. Same the past few days. Woke up today with a scratchy throat and decided to test. I’m never “sick” this long.

I’ve had the single booster. I’m just happy this isn’t worse. I hate being sick and I’m terrible at it.

58 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I would be surprised if even a third of the folks who have actually tested positive make it into the official infection counts

My understanding is they only count PCR positives. If you took a rapid test and got a positive it won't count unless you followed up with a positive PCR test. So it is being severely undercounted. 

Yep, been out of it the past few days but on a call with my boss lady he confirmed it's going around the office again. We don't go in much but they had big quarterly meeting and a bunch of people flew in for it and quite a few tested positive. Talking with buddies same things are happening at their offices. Feeling better now but damn it was a rough 4 days. 

If I haven't already gotten it, seems like I'm bound to get it in the next couple of weeks.  So far this week I've had two days of depositions in a conference room with attorneys, witnesses, party representatives, and court reporters all without masks, and next week I have an in-person mediation and an in-person trial, and nobody is going to be wearing masks then.  Oh, and I'm going to a funeral on Saturday, and I expect a big crowed with very few masks worn.

My kids haven't gotten it, and I kinda want them to go ahead and get it now before they go off to camp in July.  Maybe I'll take them out this weekend to HEB and we'll all lick shopping carts together.

• Hook 'Em 1

All four of us are finally dealing with this. Vaxxed 6 yo son had it over the weekend and had a fever for 12 hours then a headache and chest pains the next day, then all good. 3 yo daughter got it Tuesday with a full blown fever for 24 hours, now lingering at 99 and feeling good. There has been an outbreak at daycare and here we are.

That's when I knew I was fucked because there is no avoiding a 3 yo who insists on either climbing into your bed in the middle of the night or making you sleep upstairs with her. I tested positive this morning after being negative Tuesday night. Feels like a flu right now which isn't so bad. My wife has been complaining about her throat and headaches but she' doing the best out of all of us. We are both vaxxed and single-boosted. Time to hunker down for the weekend.

• Hook 'Em 3

Austin dashboard hospital stats are showing signs of leveling off- at 10% of the omicron wave. From a baseline of 5% of omicron wave, so doubling of baseline. Huge success if it holds. 

Eta:  test tracking lies, but hospitalizations don’t. So that’s a great barometer, and this is an environment of as little masking as has been seen since the start of it all. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1