COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

Our pediatrician told us once you tested positive, there was no point to continue testing, as you could test positive for more than a month despite not being able to spread. If no symptoms after 5 days from symptom onset, you can end isolation, but still wear mask until day 10 from symptom onset. After day 10, you can start licking doorknobs.

This is what we followed.

Yup same here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah unless it’s changed, AGAIN,  the CDC was saying that if no symptoms and no fever there was no need to test again after 5 days from your positive test. Who the fuck knows? They sure don’t. But they’ve got a handy calculator.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

Thanks for sharing this link, I've never had to actually learn what to do if you've got it lol. The peace of mind seeing it in writing (and frankly, being able to offload that decision on them lol) that I shouldn't be contagious makes me feel much better about going on as normal now. Per the CDC tool, yesterday was my last day to wear a facemask and use caution

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Actually it's no fever and improving symptoms.

No fever with assistance of fever reducing meds, to be precise.  And I think it's mask around others for 5 (or maybe 10) days after.

Edited by dcbc

Personal update:  Symptoms began on Sunday (7/3).  Sunday night was the worst of it (aches, chills, and sweats).  Days were mostly fine.  Monday night, more chills/sweats, but not as bad.  Tested positive on Tuesday (7/5).  Slept like shit every night. until last night.  Got 11 hours and feel pretty much fine now.  I can still hack up a little snot on occasion, but I feel good to go.  I attribute this result to my efforts to make my body such an inhospitable host over the last several decades.

Unfortunately, my wife has it with aches, fever, heavy congestion, the works. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, sidis said:

glad you are feeling better dcbc but i call all your amps if something happens.

The older boy may fight you for those.

55 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I got dibs on his Tito Puente record collection.

You should make a play for the hi-fi console while you're at it.  That's the real party piece. 

Hope you survived argument this a.m.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

Well the shit finally hit my household. Had a throat tingle for much of Tuesday, took 2 rapids both negative. Woke up Wednesday feeling a little worse and dry cough, took another rapid with a negative result, so I went to get a PCR. Woke up Thursday feeling like complete shit. Body aches, coughing headache, loss of taste and smell, but no fever. Took another rapid and positive along with the positive PCR. 1 year old was off this morning so we got her tested and she was positive. My wife has most of the symptoms rapid tested negative, but we are awaiting her PCR results. fuck COVID in the goat ass.

• Hook 'Em 4

It ran through my house over the last month - everyone but me somehow.  They're all past their isolation periods and are now gone for 7 days while I work and play golf (you know, because empty house).

We overlap at home for about 36 hours before I leave on a fun trip I am really looking forward to (and that I need to be healthy for the duration).  If it weren't for the low probability of a super quick reinfection I think I would sleep in the basement during that time.  Honestly I kind of wish I had gotten it a couple of weeks ago in the midst of it, assuming not a bad case.  After the trip I will go back to normal, but the last few weeks I've been a little more careful to try and keep plans in place.  We'll see how it plays out...

• Hook 'Em 2

I was trying to go undefeated damn it. I started feeling bad starting with my throat going out on 6/30. 7/1 had fever, mild headache, sounded horrible, and slept all day. Took test on 7/2 and tested positive. 7/2 thru 7/4 I had that annoying cough, couldn’t really sleep. I’m just now somewhat feeling better but now my stomach is bothering me. Took test again yesterday on 7/9 and tested negative. I had 2 Moderna and booster back in December. Weird timing with getting it exactly after the 6 months were up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Daughter brought it home from camp.  We were napping together on the couch watching soccer, so pretty sure I am going to be off the board soon. 

Welp, second kid (also at same camp) just popped a strong immediate positive. 

off-the-rails-train.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

off-the-rails-train.gif

My oldest started a three-week camp yesterday, and the youngest goes to the same camp next Sunday for two weeks. I’m thinking it’s likely one or both catches this.

• Hook 'Em 1

Eh, I figure this is a pretty good scenario for going back to school for there to be a big flare up of COVID a month or two before the start of the year. Good and strong immune systems to finally start putting it all behind us.

Fuck I hope we're done after this surge.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Eh, I figure this is a pretty good scenario for going back to school for there to be a big flare up of COVID a month or two before the start of the year. Good and strong immune systems to finally start putting it all behind us.

Fuck I hope we're done after this surge.

Yep.  Getting it and getting over it before school fires back up is an ideal scenario.  

Well, add me to the list of the polluted.  Woke up this morning with congestion, headache, scratchy throat, but no fever.  Tested anyway and got a weak but clear positive on the home test.  Work protocol for both my wife and me demands PCR test, so we got to our PCP and got that started.  His orders for us both are to isolate for five days, then wear a mask when around anyone for five more days.  He also prescribed Paxlovid for us both.  I get to live my hermit dream, but with my wife here with me.  And, yes, I feel like run over dog shit, but I've had worse.

• Hook 'Em 5

Mrs GOTJ and I are heading to Santa Fe in 2 weeks for our anniversary. She's 100% work from home but I've been going into the office 20-30 hours a week for the last year. Decided that we'll both basically self quarantine from now until our trip to be safe. Not worth risking our first getaway since December at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Daughter brought it home from camp.  We were napping together on the couch watching soccer, so pretty sure I am going to be off the board soon. 

Same here, youngest brought it home with her. Hit me a week after she got home and it sucks so far. First go round in our house.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Mrs GOTJ and I are heading to Santa Fe in 2 weeks for our anniversary. She's 100% work from home but I've been going into the office 20-30 hours a week for the last year. Decided that we'll both basically self quarantine from now until our trip to be safe. Not worth risking our first getaway since December at this point.

A wise move, in my opinion.  And I am highly envious of your visit to Santa Fe.

6 minutes ago, elfenix said:

just overheard from the office next to mine, which has an air gap with mine:

"i tested positive for covid" *sniffle*

My doctor asked if I knew who might have exposed me, and I told him that in the last three weeks we've had two of my coworkers come in, sit in meetings (spaced, but still), get around other coworkers unmasked, then leave an hour or two after starting the work day because they didn't feel good.  Both had fevers off and on the previous days, but still had to come in long enough to spread the virus before hauling ass.  I didn't have close direct contact with them, but I did have some contact with some who had worked close to them and didn't let me know.  As I'm sure you have noted since February 2020, we are surrounded by morons, idiots, and defectives.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

First timer here as well, seems to be going crazy. I woke up Sunday with a scratchy throat but didn’t think much of it. Later that night, felt some chills and body aches and thought maybe it was because I was out in the sun. Slept on couch to be safe and woke up yesterday with more aches so tested myself before my family woke up. Told wife I was positive and she went all out on cleaning and disenfecting and locked me up in room. Woke up this morning in a pool of sweat but not as bad yesterday I guess. Took shower and hacked up a bit but not too congested so far. Hope the wife and kid can stay clear. I feel pretty bad already and will feel worse if they end up sick as we have been very cautious past few years.

For reference I had Johnson then Moderna booster.

• Hook 'Em 1

This stuff has been the suck. The inconsistency in symptoms has been the most annoying thing. Feel like death for an hour or so at a time and then feel perfectly fine the rest of the day. Think I overdid it with my day off today, so feel pretty shitty now. It doesn’t help that the air went out upstairs last night and half the downstairs is closed off for never ending renovations, so four of us plus the dog plus a 14 week old puppy I’m about ready to adopt out are stuck in 3 rooms. 

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Brew said:

This stuff has been the suck. The inconsistency in symptoms has been the most annoying thing. Feel like death for an hour or so at a time and then feel perfectly fine the rest of the day. Think I overdid it with my day off today, so feel pretty shitty now. It doesn’t help that the air went out upstairs last night and half the downstairs is closed off for never ending renovations, so four of us plus the dog plus a 14 week old puppy I’m about ready to adopt out are stuck in 3 rooms. 

It took me 10 days before I felt right again. 2 days with 102-104 degree fever feeling like I was going to die, and then 8 days without energy, periodic spikes, no energy, short temper etc. feels good to feel good again. Wife still feels shitty, has the runs etc. I got sick 1 day before her. 
but, the thing we were talking about today is how weird this thing was with migrating symptoms, each of us having different stuff, hitting in waves, going away, coming back. It was a difference experience than any other illness I’ve ever had. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It took me 10 days before I felt right again. 2 days with 102-104 degree fever feeling like I was going to die, and then 8 days without energy, periodic spikes, no energy, short temper etc. feels good to feel good again. Wife still feels shitty, has the runs etc. I got sick 1 day before her. 
but, the thing we were talking about today is how weird this thing was with migrating symptoms, each of us having different stuff, hitting in waves, going away, coming back. It was a difference experience than any other illness I’ve ever had. 

Been the same although much earlier in the timeframe at the moment. Our youngest has had pretty significant congestion only for going on 10 days now which is why we thought she just had a sinus infection. I went through the flu like symptoms checklist the first day and a half, but my fever spiked to 103 over about two hours and has been gone since. Now it’s the rotating in and out of other stuff while feeling perfectly fine the other times. The hardest part is trying to sleep and as soon as I lay down the coughing/congestion turns up to 11. Wife and oldest are just dealing with bad headaches and nothing else.

Weird part is none of us tested positive on rapid tests. May take another one now just to see what it shows.

• Hook 'Em 1

Daughter had fever Sun and Monday, now pretty much cough and congestion. Boy had a sore throat, but now basically symptom free on day 2 other than fatigue. Hopefully they can clear this shit quick, but based on what some of you are posting with your recent experiences, sounds like it could go on for a while.  I had a splitting headache and felt tired as shit so ran a test, still negative fwiw. Exposures for us would have started on Saturday when they returned from camp.  

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yesterday afternoon I developed some of the worst chills I've ever had, along with a 100.3 fever.  I bundled up and tried to sweat it out, but it didn't go away until we had to go pick up a grocery order at HEB.  (Thank you for the contactless curbside, HEB.)  I stepped out into the 105 degree heat and felt a world better instantly.  So this weather has some use.  After we got home I fell asleep in my recliner and woke up an hour later thinking it was all over, I felt so good.  Wrong!  All day I've had an incessant headache, and the cough has started.  My sides and back are sore as hell, but livable.

We got Paxlovid this afternoon and started it tonight.  Here's hoping it helps.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2022 at 3:48 PM, Anastasis said:

If JerseyMan10 didn't break his covid cherry, we could've ensnared him, transport him to a lab, and extract his serum as the antidote

• Like 1

Put us in the two patients, wildly different symptoms camp.  As reported earlier, for me, it was aches and pains one night, tired the next day, chills and sweats the next night, tired the next day.  Tested positive, a couple of nights of generally poor sleep, but no further symptoms other than feeling tired after moderate activity for two more days.  Wife was two days behind me, fever, congestion, aches and pains for a day or two.  Got a steroid pack and antibiotics from our doctor and was feeling much better the next day, but her symptoms (drainage leading to cough when she lies down) have persisted but have not gotten in the way of life.  Also, she's tired.  All in all, not terrible for either of us but very different. 

Younger son who has not had it yet and who was around us through all it the first three days since we were on a mini vacation to the lake, never had a single symptom and, presumably, avoided it yet again.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2022 at 10:00 PM, Jersey Man10 said:

I was trying to go undefeated damn it. I started feeling bad starting with my throat going out on 6/30. 7/1 had fever, mild headache, sounded horrible, and slept all day. Took test on 7/2 and tested positive. 7/2 thru 7/4 I had that annoying cough, couldn’t really sleep. I’m just now somewhat feeling better but now my stomach is bothering me. Took test again yesterday on 7/9 and tested negative. I had 2 Moderna and booster back in December. Weird timing with getting it exactly after the 6 months were up.

Unless you have a pussy, this was never going to be possible

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had it last month.  I've had worse allergies.  If Covid wasn't a thing I wouldn't given it much thought.  It started with a scratchy throat and developed into a very light fever for a few days easily treated with ibuprofen or tylenol.  Never even felt like laying down during the day.  Doctor told me to take a bunch of immunity boosters (vitamin D, C, Zinc, and quercetin and Alka Seltzer Cold for cold/flu symptoms), which I did, and said I didn't need the newish anti-viral meds.  My wife got it a few days after I did and her symptoms were even lighter than mine.  Usually she's a complete lightweight when it comes to being sick--a paper cut ruins her day.

Many of my friends and coworkers and their spouses have had it over the last month or so and all have had very light symptoms.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Not sure how much it helps, but I've been taking those supplements, along with lysine, on a regular basis since the pandemic hit.  No COVID yet.

I was taking extra vitamin D but the rest were new to me.  Who knows if they helped because the illness wasn’t a big deal anyway.  

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not sure how much it helps, but I've been taking those supplements, along with lysine, on a regular basis since the pandemic hit.  No COVID yet.

I'd been taking D, Zinc, and extra C since March 2020 as well.  I still got the covids  last month, but it was mild. I also had vax + boost so I'm assuming all of that together, helped keep my symptoms light.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/11/2022 at 2:16 PM, elfenix said:

just overheard from the office next to mine, which has an air gap with mine:

"i tested positive for covid" *sniffle*

I know someone who works at a bank.  A couple of weeks ago, an old guy walks in to his office and they chat for awhile.  Then old guy says, "Well, I guess I better head back home.  My wife is home sick with covid and I have it too."  Banker and his wife both then come down with covid a few days later.  I would have considered murdering that old fuck.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I know someone who works at a bank.  A couple of weeks ago, an old guy walks in to his office and they chat for awhile.  Then old guy says, "Well, I guess I better head back home.  My wife is home sick with covid and I have it too."  Banker and his wife both then come down with covid a few days later.  I would have considered murdering that old fuck.

Shit, substitute "COVID" with "cold" or "flu" during the pre-pandemic area, and that might be grounds for justifiable assault. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

About 5,000 iu of Vitamin D every day for the last year or so and while it obviously didn't prevent me from getting COVID, my symptoms sure weren't much to spit at.  But who knows?  I'm one of those people who really doesn't get sick too often and, then, usually not for long.  Usually one thing or another once per year or so with the exception's being when I had young kids in daycare, at which point, that number got multiplied by at least six.

Edited by dcbc

Just now, dcbc said:

About 5,000 iu of Vitamin D every day for the last year or so and while it obviously didn't prevent me from getting COVID, my symptoms sure weren't much to spit at.  But who knows?  I'm one of those people who really doesn't get sick too often and, then, usually not for long.

There's no rhyme or reason.  I've been taking immunity-boosting and other health supplements for several years, along with lots of water and exercise, and a pretty healthy diet.  And pre-pandemic I was still good for at least one knock-me-on-my-ass-for-a-day-or two cold each year. 

And as I've said before, it's possible I had COVID before and didn't know it.  But I've tested a few times (some at doctor's and some at-home) and they've all been negative, and you know the rules of hide-and-seek.

• Hook 'Em 1

Me and the wife, my parents and her parents still haven't had it.  There's some genetic cause that keeps some people from getting it.  They just haven't figured out what it is yet.  We are going to Vegas this weekend and that will be the ultimate test.  This will be our third flight and out of state trip since March.  If we make it through again, I will just assume I am immortal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, kevwun said:

Me and the wife, my parents and her parents still haven't had it.  There's some genetic cause that keeps some people from getting it.  They just haven't figured out what it is yet.  We are going to Vegas this weekend and that will be the ultimate test.  This will be our third flight and out of state trip since March.  If we make it through again, I will just assume I am immortal.

Shit, I've traveled three times since June (New York City, San Francisco, and New Orleans), and neither I nor 95% of the others packed into the airports, planes, restaurants, bars, museums, Turkish bath houses . . . wait, did I just say that out loud . . . have been wearing masks.  No COVID, no symptoms. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

There's no rhyme or reason.  I've been taking immunity-boosting and other health supplements for several years, along with lots of water and exercise, and a pretty healthy diet.  And pre-pandemic I was still good for at least one knock-me-on-my-ass-for-a-day-or two cold each year. 

And as I've said before, it's possible I had COVID before and didn't know it.  But I've tested a few times (some at doctor's and some at-home) and they've all been negative, and you know the rules of hide-and-seek.

With a random cold last summer, I did a teledoc visit through my PCP and asked the PA on the call if I needed to test for COVID.  He recently had had it and said, at our age, you usually know.  So while you may be one of those middle aged, male unicorns with an asymptomatic case, odds are, if you'd had it, you'd know about it.  That first night when I woke up with aches and pains, I didn't have much doubt about what it was.  Shoot, the minute I had a little hitch when taking a deep breath the day before, I suspected I'd picked it up.  I'd say take an antibody test if you're curious, but probably just easier to assume and keep playing the game.  I hear first prize is a set of steak knives.

Humblebrag, sort of, but I have a 100% positivity rate on every COVID test I've ever taken---one for one.

Edited by dcbc