Thunder vs Jazz

Machinator

Welp it was fun while it lasted.  PG, (hopefully) Melo and (hopefully) Donovan are out.

OKC needs to go the last year's Houston route with the roster (And with PG and Melo gone, money) and surround Russell and Adams with shooters.  Go sign the Gordon's, Ariza's, (staying in this series) Ingles out there and draft a shooter.  Spread out the floor for Russ to drive and if not kick for 3s on 3s.

OKC might steal game 5 but I don't see em getting 6 in Utah unless someone gets hurt. 

OKC can't surround Russ with shooters as long as Roberson is on the roster and the default starting SG.  He's a total liability.  That franchise has a history of getting locked in to one dimensional players and you'd think they'd learn.  Even when Durant was there at times, it was him, Russ, and a bunch of defensive guys.

The roster they have this year just wasn't very good 5-12.  Top 4 players are pretty good but the bench can't score.  Corey Brewer went from doing nothing with the Lakers to playing big minutes and scoring by the 2nd or 3rd game.  That shows how bad the supporting cast was.

10 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Whole thunder team acting like bitches, starting with Westbrook. Whoever upthread said this was an unlikeable team is on the money. Can’t stand any of em

That in my humble opinion, is due to having a coach that is not qualified to handle pro athletes and to put them in their place, from time to time as lacked with Westbrook...

1 minute ago, kopp0e said:

That in my humble opinion, is due to having a coach that is not qualified to handle pro athletes and to put them in their place, from time to time as lacked with Westbrook...

I don't know where you are going to find a coach that can put Westbrook in his place. He's just too full of himself. He's got great talent, but he's a headcase. 

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

OKC can't surround Russ with shooters as long as Roberson is on the roster and the default starting SG.  He's a total liability.  That franchise has a history of getting locked in to one dimensional players and you'd think they'd learn.  Even when Durant was there at times, it was him, Russ, and a bunch of defensive guys.

The roster they have this year just wasn't very good 5-12.  Top 4 players are pretty good but the bench can't score.  Corey Brewer went from doing nothing with the Lakers to playing big minutes and scoring by the 2nd or 3rd game.  That shows how bad the supporting cast was.

Now that, I blame on Presti not allowing the coaches to have the freedom in adding input as to new/ incoming players to the roster, as he has an affinity for lanky non shooters...

I can completely understand why Durant left OKC, as is, he would still be considered the main option on offense with a freeballing Westbrook as a counterpart, on a Harden-less team...

1 minute ago, Sidney Sherman said:

I don't know where you are going to find a coach that can put Westbrook in his place. He's just too full of himself. He's got great talent, but he's a headcase. 

An experienced former NBA player who has been in those situations as Chauncey Billups would be a better gamble than going with a college coach with intensity of Ned Flanders...

If the Thunder adds Chauncey as head coach, he lacks experience, but has the pedigree as a former NBA champion within his mental capabilities to help calm RW's airhead play...

330px-ChaunceyBillupsWizards.jpg

Personal information

Born September 25, 1976 (age 41)
Denver, Colorado
Nationality American
Listed height 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)
Listed weight 210 lb (95 kg)
Career information
High school George Washington (Denver, Colorado)
College Colorado (1995–1997)
NBA draft 1997 / Round: 1 / Pick: 3rd overall
Selected by the Boston Celtics
Playing career 1997–2014
Position Point guard / Shooting guard
Number 4, 3, 1, 7
Career history
1997–1998 Boston Celtics
19981999 Toronto Raptors
19992000 Denver Nuggets
20002002 Minnesota Timberwolves
20022008 Detroit Pistons
20082011 Denver Nuggets
2011 New York Knicks
20112013 Los Angeles Clippers
2013–2014 Detroit Pistons
Career highlights and awards
Career statistics
Points 15,802 (15.2 ppg)
Rebounds 2,992 (2.9 rpg)
Assists 5,636 (5.4 apg)

Stats at Basketball-Reference.com

Chauncey Ray Billups (born September 25, 1976) is an American retired professional basketball player who played 17 seasons in the National Basketball Association (NBA). A star at the University of Colorado, he was selected third overall in the 1997 NBA draft by the Boston Celtics. A five-time NBA All-Starand a three-time All-NBA selection, Billups played for the Celtics, Toronto Raptors, Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Detroit Pistons, New York Knicks, and Los Angeles Clippers during his NBA career. He won the NBA Finals MVP in 2004 after helping the Pistons beat the Los Angeles Lakers in the Finals,[1] and was given the nickname "Mr. Big Shot" for making late-game shots with Detroit.[2] The Pistons retired his number #1 jersey in 2016.[3]

In 2004, Billups was honored by the University of Colorado by being the fifth player to have his jersey (number 4) retired. The Coors Events Center also has a large mural of Billups in the northeast corner of the arena as part of his "Chauncey's Kid Roundup" program.[4]

You can continue to think it's the HC's fault, but the problem is Westbrook.  He's not going to change. This is his 10th season in the NBA. 

If you subdue or try to control him, his offensive game will suffer. His "fuck all y'all" mentality is what makes him so individually good, but detrimental to championship caliber basketball. They have to live and die with his style of play. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

An experienced former NBA player who has been in those situations as Chauncey Billups would be a better gamble than going with a college coach with intensity of Ned Flanders...

Yeah I don't think Chauncey wants to trade a comfy broadcast job for trying to keep Westbroke under control. 

51 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

You can continue to think it's the HC's fault, but the problem is Westbrook.  He's not going to change. This is his 10th season in the NBA. 

If you subdue or try to control him, his offensive game will suffer. His "fuck all y'all" mentality is what makes him so individually good, but detrimental to championship caliber basketball. They have to live and die with his style of play. 

I think this is the case, he's going to keep driving sane people away. Melo and PG are probably gone after this year, nobody is going to come in and replace those guys. Maybe Westbrook at 7 role player guys that can just snag rebounds and hit wide open threes would work.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

$28 million. He's not going anywhere.

Does he still have his no trade clause?  If not, OKC needs to trade him for an overpaid but playable long term contract (like Batum, Bazemore).  They have no other way to improve the roster, and anything is an improvement over Melo now.

PG is gone to LA, not sure what OKC can do with the Lakers since Lakers have space for 2 max. If LA wants to have 3 max maybe S&T KCP/IT/Randle for PG13 (opt in ala CP3).  At least OKC can get something.

No coach is going to control Westbrook.  I'd pay to see him play for Popovich and the ensuing aneurysm Pop would have on a nightly basis.

I had a theory back when Durant played with OKC that the reason he would have borderline abortions at the end of games was Westbrook would have full on abortions.  They fed off each other and the rest of the team just watched.  That's played out as Durant manages end of game situations better now and Westbrook is still Westbrooking.

If you could go back in time, you might have kept Durant, Harden, and Ibaka and traded Westbrook for a cheaper and more traditional PG.  (Not sure who that would have been.)  However, by the time they were making the Harden/Ibaka decision, they had already signed both Durant and Westbrook so that ship sailed.  Even then, they prolly win the title last year had Durant stayed.  They would have had Dipo, Westbrook, Durant, Roberson, Adams, Kanter, and Sarbonis.

Ship sailed, though.  

6 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Does he still have his no trade clause?  If not, OKC needs to trade him for an overpaid but playable long term contract (like Batum, Bazemore).  They have no other way to improve the roster, and anything is an improvement over Melo now.

PG is gone to LA, not sure what OKC can do with the Lakers since Lakers have space for 2 max. If LA wants to have 3 max maybe S&T KCP/IT/Randle for PG13 (opt in ala CP3).  At least OKC can get something.

Melo isnt good right now but lets not go crazy.    Taking Batum and his 75M still owed would be foolish.

Yeah, OKC will get some value for Melo with his expiring contract.  Even if they don't, they'll go into the 19/20 season with only two major contracts on the books with Adams and Westbrook.  I'm still convinced PG leaves for LA, especially if Bron doesn't go.  If I were him, I'd look at Philly but that's me.  Wouldn't surprise me if he signed a short term deal to stay in OKC.

Even if that happens, OKC will be in same position this time next year with a 4/5 seed in the West and an early exit.  The only thing that changes that trajectory is if they go out and find a supporting cast and bench that can score and based on Presti's history, there's nothing to suggest he'll do that.  Shooters are everyone but OKC is chronically saddles with perimeter guys who can't shoot.

1 hour ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Yeah I don't think Chauncey wants to trade a comfy broadcast job for trying to keep Westbroke under control. 

I think this is the case, he's going to keep driving sane people away. Melo and PG are probably gone after this year, nobody is going to come in and replace those guys. Maybe Westbrook at 7 role player guys that can just snag rebounds and hit wide open threes would work.

I have no doubt you are right... This team needs a liquidation sale, implode & rebuild the whole roster, including RW...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772280-russell-westbrook-incident-under-nba-review-for-potential-game-5-suspension

So westbrook is sitting by the  scorers table ready to check in, then gets all up in goberts face and slaps his hand away.  Apparently his little hand slap could be suspendable depending on if the officials checked him into the game or not.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Even if that happens, OKC will be in same position this time next year with a 4/5 seed in the West and an early exit.

Not even that, if no PG13 then no playoff next year.  Lakers and Nuggets will be better,  maybe only Spurs will be worse (if no Kawhi but still they got Pop).

Player

2018-19

2019-20

2020-21

Russell Westbrook

$35,350,000

$38,178,000

$41,006,000

Carmelo Anthony

$27,928,140

Steven Adams

$24,157,303

$25,842,697

$27,528,090

Paul George

$20,703,384

Andre Roberson

$10,000,000

$10,740,741

Alex Abrines

$5,455,236

Patrick Patterson

$5,451,600

$5,711,200

Kyle Singler

$4,996,000

$5,333,500

Terrance Ferguson

$2,118,840

$2,475,840

$3,944,013

Dakari Johnson

$1,378,242

Team Totals

$137,538,745

$88,281,978

$72,478,103

43 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Not even that, if no PG13 then no playoff next year.  Lakers and Nuggets will be better,  maybe only Spurs will be worse (if no Kawhi but still they got Pop).

Player

2018-19

2019-20

2020-21

Russell Westbrook

$35,350,000

$38,178,000

$41,006,000

Carmelo Anthony

$27,928,140

Steven Adams

$24,157,303

$25,842,697

$27,528,090

Paul George

$20,703,384

Andre Roberson

$10,000,000

$10,740,741

Alex Abrines

$5,455,236

Patrick Patterson

$5,451,600

$5,711,200

Kyle Singler

$4,996,000

$5,333,500

Terrance Ferguson

$2,118,840

$2,475,840

$3,944,013

Dakari Johnson

$1,378,242

Team Totals

$137,538,745

$88,281,978

$72,478,103

They made the playoffs last yr with no PG.   Why would you assume they wouldn't make it without him next yr?

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

They made the playoffs last yr with no PG.   Why would you assume they wouldn't make it without him next yr?

No Dipo, Kanter, or Gibson.  They were 47-35 as the 6th seed a year ago (Westbrook's career year)..... That was the 7/8 seed this year.  The West has improved and got deeper and could continue to do so.  They'd be no lock to make the playoffs and I think it would be folly to think they'd be a top 4 team in the West without George.

Also, doesn't Melo still have a no trade clause attached to his contract?  That will severely limit what OKC could get back for him.....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

I'm thinking that OKC will lose ground to all of the current West playoff team and I just don't think that OKC ( minus PG) would be better than the Nuggets and Lakers (with PG)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23299023/oklahoma-city-thunder-brink-elimination-utah-jazz-rout-game-4

After proclaiming following Game 3 that he was going to shut down Rubio, Westbrook came out ready to back it up, picking Rubio up full-court, scrambling back to get in a deep defensive stance and clapping at him as they lined up to go one-on-one.

"It's not about me and him," Westbrook said when asked if his aggressiveness with Rubio backfired. "Let's get past that. We're done with that."

gotta love Russ talking so much before the game about how he was guaranteeing to shut Rubio down (as if Rubio was the key offensive player for the Jazz anyway), coming out like a scrappy dukie benchwarmer with the low stance floor slap style clapping in Rubio's face on the first possession, then saying "It's not about me and him" after he self potatoed into those 4 first half fouls and his team got wrecked.

16 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

westbrook is shooting 37% and averaging 5.25 turnover per game in this series.

He also focused harder on not letting Rubio get a TD than he did on winning. This guy has played with Ibaka, Kanter, Oladipo, Melo, PG13, KD, and Harden land LOST. He’s only so much as been to the Finals once. Only Russ could make that happen. Only Russ. 

Well, he's a man of his word (unless he's angrily denying that he cares about stats or that he steals rebounds the day before he completely coincidentally sets his career high in rebounds to lock in his triple-double average). He said that he was going to shut down Rubio's shooting. Not prevent him from having an impactful game. Not play disciplined, solid team defense. Not to win the game. Baby steps.

The silver lining is, if this series ends how it's trending to, maybe it'll be easier to simply enjoy Russ for the force of nature that he is. No more Top 5 player talk, no more inclusion in the Best Point Guard debate, no more "the top teams would be scared to face OKC in May" bullshit, and no more triple-double mass hysteria. He got his MVP and is unlikely to ever sniff another. He won. So hopefully the narrative can now shift to a fun, fringe playoff team, beloved by its fans, with one of the greatest one-man shows in the league. Never a dull game. Then we win too.

37 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The silver lining is, if this series ends how it's trending to, maybe it'll be easier to simply enjoy Russ for the force of nature that he is. No more Top 5 player talk, no more inclusion in the Best Point Guard debate, no more "the top teams would be scared to face OKC in May" bullshit, and no more triple-double mass hysteria. He got his MVP and is unlikely to ever sniff another. He won. So hopefully the narrative can now shift to a fun, fringe playoff team, beloved by its fans, with one of the greatest one-man shows in the league. Never a dull game. Then we win too.

you'll still have plenty of idiots who think he's great and it's everyone else's fault (5280 i'm looking at you) that his team is spare as fuck, but hopefully most rational people who somehow didn't already see this are having their eyes opened this series.

5 hours ago, Chapo said:

Player

2018-19

2019-20

2020-21

Russell Westbrook

$35,350,000

$38,178,000

$41,006,000

Carmelo Anthony

$27,928,140

Steven Adams

$24,157,303

$25,842,697

$27,528,090

Paul George

$20,703,384

Andre Roberson

$10,000,000

$10,740,741

Alex Abrines

$5,455,236

Patrick Patterson

$5,451,600

$5,711,200

Kyle Singler

$4,996,000

$5,333,500

Terrance Ferguson

$2,118,840

$2,475,840

$3,944,013

Dakari Johnson

$1,378,242

Team Totals

$137,538,745

$88,281,978

$72,478,103

Just when I think Presti and OKC don't have any bad contracts, there it is.  Kyle Singler.  Forgot he was still playing.  He's making $5M and is so bad he can't get off the bench.  I'm seeing he only played 32 games last year and 12 this year.  He also looks like he's 14 years old.  At the end of next season, he'll have made $19M in four years despite being a 6'8" guy who can't shoot, score, rebound, or defend..  Sure, there are more expensive bad contracts in the NBA but none with so little obvious return from the start.  Combine him with Roberson and you have two guys at $15M who play SF and can't score.  

Believe it or not, if they had a better supporting cast, they'd be contenders this year.  Their 1-4 are as good as anyone else in the league.  5-12 they're total garbage.  On one hand, Presti has done a great job over the years of managing the contracts of the stars and not getting buried.  On the flip side, he's fucking terrible at finding supporting players.  The Lakers signed a 57 year old from the D League and he was a better scorer than anyone on OKC's bench.  That's an annual occurrence, too, which tells me it's by design and not happenstance of not getting the  right FA's.  They've always had a supporting cast of non scoring defenders.  Corey Brewer cleared waivers from a shitty Laker team and was instantly the 5th best player on OKC's entire team for God's sake.

19 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Just when I think Presti and OKC don't have any bad contracts, there it is.  Kyle Singler.  Forgot he was still playing.  He's making $5M and is so bad he can't get off the bench.  I'm seeing he only played 32 games last year and 12 this year.  He also looks like he's 14 years old.  At the end of next season, he'll have made $19M in four years despite being a 6'8" guy who can't shoot, score, rebound, or defend..  Sure, there are more expensive bad contracts in the NBA but none with so little obvious return from the start.  Combine him with Roberson and you have two guys at $15M who play SF and can't score.  

Believe it or not, if they had a better supporting cast, they'd be contenders this year.  Their 1-4 are as good as anyone else in the league.  5-12 they're total garbage.  On one hand, Presti has done a great job over the years of managing the contracts of the stars and not getting buried.  On the flip side, he's fucking terrible at finding supporting players.  The Lakers signed a 57 year old from the D League and he was a better scorer than anyone on OKC's bench.  That's an annual occurrence, too, which tells me it's by design and not happenstance of not getting the  right FA's.  They've always had a supporting cast of non scoring defenders.  Corey Brewer cleared waivers from a shitty Laker team and was instantly the 5th best player on OKC's entire team for God's sake.

A couple of things.

1.  Your 1-4 is not as good as anyone else's in the league, that's fucking ludicrous.  Who the hell is your 4th?  It ain't Melo anymore, he's terrible.  It's not on the same planet to the Warriors, not in the same state as the Rockets (Harden, CP3, Capela, Gordon), and not in the area code if Boston was fully healthy.  I mean Utah is showing they're better than you guys and that includes 1-4 right now.  You'd need a 6th man of the year type guy to be contenders and you still aren't better than the top 2.

2.   I think there may be something there to Presti.  For whatever reason, he gets a lot of speciality players.  Now bench guys are bench guys because they generally lack something to be starters but Presti's moves tend to be very specific.

3.  Another obstacle if PG outright leaves (and I'm not of the opinion he will, perhaps a S&T to a team of his choice) is the Thunder don't have many assets anymore.  They're out of dry powder.  No young players with potential and name value (Terrence Ferguson?) who can't crack the rotation.  They're missing their 2018 and 2020 first round picks although the 2020 pick is protected.  By that time, they may be in full tank mode to keep the pick....

12 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Welp it was fun while it lasted.  PG, (hopefully) Melo and (hopefully) Donovan are out.

OKC needs to go the last year's Houston route with the roster (And with PG and Melo gone, money) and surround Russell and Adams with shooters.  Go sign the Gordon's, Ariza's, (staying in this series) Ingles out there and draft a shooter.  Spread out the floor for Russ to drive and if not kick for 3s on 3s.

OKC might steal game 5 but I don't see em getting 6 in Utah unless someone gets hurt. 

The problem is Presti seems to be a defense 1st kind of guy, & Donnie is his old friend... But I like your suggestion, as it would work for a drive & dishoffense...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A couple of things.

1.  Your 1-4 is not as good as anyone else's in the league, that's fucking ludicrous.  Who the hell is your 4th?  It ain't Melo anymore, he's terrible.  It's not on the same planet to the Warriors, not in the same state as the Rockets (Harden, CP3, Capela, Gordon), and not in the area code if Boston was fully healthy.  I mean Utah is showing they're better than you guys and that includes 1-4 right now.  You'd need a 6th man of the year type guy to be contenders and you still aren't better than the top 2.

2.   I think there may be something there to Presti.  For whatever reason, he gets a lot of speciality players.  Now bench guys are bench guys because they generally lack something to be starters but Presti's moves tend to be very specific.

3.  Another obstacle if PG outright leaves (and I'm not of the opinion he will, perhaps a S&T to a team of his choice) is the Thunder don't have many assets anymore.  They're out of dry powder.  No young players with potential and name value (Terrence Ferguson?) who can't crack the rotation.  They're missing their 2018 and 2020 first round picks although the 2020 pick is protected.  By that time, they may be in full tank mode to keep the pick....

Steven Adams is #3.  Melo is #4.  Adams is pretty good.  If Adams were a FA, he'd have teams money whipping him.  He's younger than you think, physically huge and athletic, and great on defense.

The specialty player is the problem and it starts at player #5 (Roberson).  He's one of the athletically elite players of the last 15 years.  He's big, fast, can move/jump, huge wing span, and can guard 4 positions.  However, there are Jr High basketball players with more offensive skills.  He's been playing basketball since he was a kid and has been an NBA starter for 5+ years and still can't dribble, shoot jumpers, shoot FT's, pass, or handle the ball.  He really has no skills at all despite his world class athleticism.  He's so bad they can't play him for long stretches of time but OKC re-signed him for $10M per year.

12 hours ago, Sidney Sherman said:

This was the reason Scott Brooks stuck around.  He knew how to work Russ. Now I don’t know if it would = wins but I believe Fizdale would step up to him.  

9 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

you'll still have plenty of idiots who think he's great and it's everyone else's fault (5280 i'm looking at you) that his team is spare as fuck, but hopefully most rational people who somehow didn't already see this are having their eyes opened this series.

he is great.  exactly like aggie says - hes a force of nature and hyper entertaining to watch play.  thats what i derive from watching sports.  unlike you i dont define my life by it.  check your priorities bro.  

Edited by 52-80

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

he is great.  exactly like aggie says - hes a force of nature and hyper entertaining to watch play.  thats what i derive from watching sports.  unlike you i dont define my life by it.  check your priorities bro.  

His priorities have nothing to do with shitty opinions. 

Paul George Staying?  Olidipo still full of regret?  Like Russ, you should own your dumbass opinions or “shut that shit down”

#rubioTD

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

His priorities have nothing to do with shitty opinions. 

Paul George Staying?  Olidipo still full of regret?  Like Russ, you should own your dumbass opinions or “shut that shit down”

#rubioTD

O, the Dipo who went for 5-20 his last game?  And 5-15 before that?  Almost as impressive as Harden's 2-18 playoff performance.

The fuck I care if PG stays or goes?  How does that change watching RW as an electrifying player.  

That the voting media likewise enjoys his performances and rewarded him with an award , making you all piss your panties for 12 months, makes it all the funnier

• Fuck You 1