NextGen Consoles: PS-5 and XBox X

Iceman

I have a PS5 digital I got a while back, but haven't opened it yet. Thinking of selling it for $600 just to avoid having another console gathering dust. I play PC games 98% of the time now and don't think I'll have enough time to dedicate to it.  Is it worth waiting to sell it for the beginning of Christmas season, or just dump it now?

I have a PS5 digital I got a while back, but haven't opened it yet. Thinking of selling it for $600 just to avoid having another console gathering dust. I play PC games 98% of the time now and don't think I'll have enough time to dedicate to it.  Is it worth waiting to sell it for the beginning of Christmas season, or just dump it now?

If you decide to sell it let me know. I’ve got a buddy looking for one.

On 6/23/2022 at 12:08 PM, Dutchrudder said:

I'm in NW Houston, but with tax and Walmart+ I think I spent about $500 on it. It's a digital edition, no extra games or controllers. 

You should still be able to make more than $100 profit off it if you wait until December Just saying. 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Get fucked scalpers!

Glad you didn't cave in.

And for all those who are still looking, you can try Amazon by requesting an invitation to purchase one. You'll get an email that will provide you a link. No guarantees you'll get an invitation but they went this process in order to combat bots.

14 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Yep.

Btw, I'm enjoying HFW a lot so far. Hope you like it.

I played it on PS4, but got bored and distracted when I hit level cap well before finishing the main story and never finished. I will definitely replay it the full way through at some point in the near future.  ZD was probably my favorite PS4 game and I was originally hoping to have a 5 before starting it. 

Looking forward to better graphics and dramatically-improved load times. Certain games were almost unplayable on my 6-year old PS4. Super frustrating when you die or skip a cutscene and it takes a minute or more to get back into the game.

Edited by Storm the Field

2 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I played it on PS4, but got bored and distracted when I hit level cap well before finishing the main story and never finished. I will definitely replay it the full way through at some point in the near future. 

Looking forward to better graphics and dramatically-improved load times. Certain games were almost unplayable on my 6-year old PS4. Super frustrating when you die or skip a cutscene and it takes a minute or more to get back into the game.

Honestly, I'm more super pumped for God of War Ragnarok this November!

• Hook 'Em 1

Want to get a console to play around on with the boys. All their buddies play PS, but I've always played Xbox and still have a 360 upstairs. The Game Pass subscription looks appealing and has me leaning further that direction. Thoughts? I got lines on both right now, but it would be more cost effective to go the Xbox X/S route and pick up a package with 2 controllers through Costco + game pass.  I'd be into the PS5 for quite a bit after games controllers, etc. We're not going to be doing a lot of gaming, and my wife is going to bitch about screen time for the boys.  Thoughts?

Other than find a new wife.  I like this one. 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Want to get a console to play around on with the boys. All their buddies play PS, but I've always played Xbox and still have a 360 upstairs. The Game Pass subscription looks appealing and has me leaning further that direction. Thoughts? I got lines on both right now, but it would be more cost effective to go the Xbox X/S route and pick up a package with 2 controllers through Costco + game pass.  I'd be into the PS5 for quite a bit after games controllers, etc. We're not going to be doing a lot of gaming, and my wife is going to bitch about screen time for the boys.  Thoughts?

Other than find a new wife.  I like this one. 

Find a game your wife likes and get her hooked like an addict. Mindcraft did it for mine

I tried on and off since launch to impulse buy a PS5 and never found one in stock online.  At this point I'm just going to wait for the PS5 Pro or whatever they will call it.  It would be great if that could come out in a Ragnarok bundle.  My PS4 Pro is the God of War bundle one.

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

I tried on and off since launch to impulse buy a PS5 and never found one in stock online.  At this point I'm just going to wait for the PS5 Pro or whatever they will call it.  It would be great if that could come out in a Ragnarok bundle.  My PS4 Pro is the God of War bundle one.

Check your local Target man. Also, as I said above to request an invitation to buy a PS5 from Amazon. You might get one there. All the best!

5 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Aren’t most games cross platform now though? Madden, COD, stuff like that? Find out if they play exclusives and go from there.

Some are.  But kids also like to socialize in party chats while they play different games.  YMMV.

Some are.  But kids also like to socialize in party chats while they play different games.  YMMV.

Discord chats are making that more of a thing of the past too.

Anything really popular multiplayer will be cross platform these days. And most younger people will chat through discord instead of in game 

We’ve gone full circle, back in the day it was everyone met in IRC to party-up, launched teamspeak and then CS-beta, day of defeat, Infiltration, team fortress etc.

Now it’s basically the same thing for the youth.

I’m the old man to my kids because I actually use the Xbox series X party to party up with my friends before we play. They use discord

Quick story. Took truck in for oil change this morning. Place is in front of a Walmart, so wife and I kill time in the store because she needs fabric to recover a bench cushion. As she is messing around in that aisle, I wander over to the electronics.

And what do I see but a ps5 box in the locked cabinet of the PlayStation section. So i ask the guy if it’s a real system or a display box and he walks over, unlocks it, takes the system to the register and rings it up. 

told him i didn’t think they were in-store yet and he said they get the occasional system in randomly and just put it on the floor without fanfare. 

kids were surprised. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

So I took the boys back to Walmart today to buy some games and a controller.  While we were browsing, the same guy that sold me the ps5 yesterday comes walking over with a cart and empty box. He unlocks a case, lifts the empty box and there’s a new ps5 that he puts in the case and then attends to us. 

I told the boys we could buy it and flip it, but we didn’t.  Not 2 minutes later a teenage looking kid walks up and asks us if we are buying it, while we are still collecting our stuff from other locked areas.  So just like that it was gone. 

this is the Walmart in Georgetown on rivery in case that info is valuable. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

On 7/26/2022 at 12:39 PM, Storm the Field said:

Holy shit, after more than a year of trying, I just decided to randomly check Target website and they had a PS5 disc edition in stock near my office. Picking it up later this afternoon.

Hah, of course, after 6+ months on the waiting list, I got invited on Friday to buy this same bundle on Amazon.

Didn't even notice until this morning, when I got a follow-up email informing me my invitation had expired. If I was still looking and that had happened, I'd probably be in jail right now.

17 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Hah, of course, after 6+ months on the waiting list, I got invited on Friday to buy this same bundle on Amazon.

Didn't even notice until this morning, when I got a follow-up email informing me my invitation had expired. If I was still looking and that had happened, I'd probably be in jail right now.

How you liking your PS5 so far?

2 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

How you liking your PS5 so far?

Haven't done much with it yet. Went on vacation like the day after I got it and haven't grabbed any games yet. Considering I already played Forbidden West on PS4, I'm not in a huge hurry to play it again on PS5, will probably do so sometime next year.

I should  have some free time this coming weekend to find something I really want to play.

Really, I just wanted to go ahead and get my hands on one. Was getting tired of following the various PS5-finder Twitter accounts, checking retailer's daily....etc. I usually stock up on games during Black Friday sales. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up and Xbox X just meaninglessly browsing Best Buy online. Brought it home yesterday. I haven’t had a console since the 360 and I am extremely lost. Any advice on the energy saver vs stand by modes? Any clarity on whether either mode will still download games? Not update, but download! Which is preferred? I’m very much rusty on alllllll of this. 

7 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

Picked up and Xbox X just meaninglessly browsing Best Buy online. Brought it home yesterday. I haven’t had a console since the 360 and I am extremely lost. Any advice on the energy saver vs stand by modes? Any clarity on whether either mode will still download games? Not update, but download! Which is preferred? I’m very much rusty on alllllll of this. 

The stand by mode will continue to download even if you have the console off whereas the energy saver is just that it's just turned off and won't download any games or updates. It depends on what you want I guess.

Right.

Power saver also takes longer to crank up.

Stand by allows for instant-on.

Additionally the app on your phone can manage the Xbox when it is in stand-by mode. To remote download games, control the console by app etc. in power saver mode, the Xbox has to “on” for the app to connect

So I may actually have two PS5s coming this week. Got a notification that antonline had the Horizon Bundle available. Pulled the trigger on Friday, supposedly it is being shipped today. Not 100% convinced it will come through, but ordered on a card so if it's a scam I'll be ok.

Then over the weekend got an email from Sony that I could buy one directly (I had signed up months ago). Just got into the queue there, and ordered one direct from them. 

If they both show up, I'll have one to get rid of. I'm not going to be trying to make a profit, I'll sell whichever one I don't use for what I paid for it. 

Just now, hornian said:

So I may actually have two PS5s coming this week. Got a notification that antonline had the Horizon Bundle available. Pulled the trigger on Friday, supposedly it is being shipped today. Not 100% convinced it will come through, but ordered on a card so if it's a scam I'll be ok.

Then over the weekend got an email from Sony that I could buy one directly (I had signed up months ago). Just got into the queue there, and ordered one direct from them. 

If they both show up, I'll have one to get rid of. I'm not going to be trying to make a profit, I'll sell whichever one I don't use for what I paid for it. 

Save yourself some money and return the one you got from antonline unless you really like everything that was in that bundle. They're legit btw so no worries.

Just now, FunkSoulBrother said:

Save yourself some money and return the one you got from antonline unless you really like everything that was in that bundle. They're legit btw so no worries.

I don't think I can return it, it's already shipped. I looked at the terms and conditions when I was trying to see if I could cancel the order, and they have a 15% restocking fee for returns. So I'll just sell it to someone here or someone I know IRL. Not going to go through FB or craigslist or anything. 

finally got the new xbox and I've just been playing red dead redemption 2 lol. I just don't have the mental energy for Elden Ring and I need some hours to really dig into Flight Simulator. But I picked up a replay of RDR2 I've been working on for a couple of years now where I really went to work trying to complete the challenges and stuff and have just been poking around, role playing cowboy. I had to play on one of the old xboxes for a minute and holy shit the graphics are in fact quite a bit upscaled on the series x.

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Hozz said:

It continues to blow my mind that two years after launch I still can not impulse buy one of these on Amazon.

What's the adage.....young no money, old no time?

I would have killed one of you for a Gameboy in 1989 but we couldn't afford it.

Now, I can afford things like guacamole at Chipotle and just barely a PS5....but I have tried to buy one for over a year and nothing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

What's the adage.....young no money, old no time?

I would have killed one of you for a Gameboy in 1989 but we couldn't afford it.

Now, I can afford things like guacamole at Chipotle and just barely a PS5....but I have tried to buy one for over a year and nothing.

I have seen them sold direct recently on the playstation website.  They wanted shipping though and Amazon has trained me to be very against paying for that.  Right now on Amazon they have invitation requests for a bunch of digital and disk models and bundles.  They are supposed to go out today, the invites.  I have heard its a low % that get them though.

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

I have seen them sold direct recently on the playstation website.  They wanted shipping though and Amazon has trained me to be very against paying for that.  Right now on Amazon they have invitation requests for a bunch of digital and disk models and bundles.  They are supposed to go out today, the invites.  I have heard its a low % that get them though.

If you don’t want it to be shipped to you then you’ll need to check out Target or Best Buy daily to see if they have any in stock.

1 hour ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

If you don’t want it to be shipped to you then you’ll need to check out Target or Best Buy daily to see if they have any in stock.

I just don't want to pay for shipping.  If I was really jonesing I would.  Ragnarok is, AFAIK, the only current Sony exclusive I am interested in that I had not already played on PS4 or PC so I started looking again.

Edited by Hozz
clarity