Old Austin remembered - Mad Dog & Beans

NorthAustin

Had to share cuz I was thrilled to get a great Father's Day gift (though I had to wait for it to arrive).

A Mad Dog & Beans tee shirt and mug. I have such great memories of that place and my daughter found it (and a bunch of other old Austin eateries) on a site called Yestercool. Anyway, looks gret and I'm having a great time telling everyone about Austin in the 80s.... Anyone else remember Mad Dog & Beans? What I wold give for one of their milkshakes..actually, ANYBODY's milk shake.

• Like 3

I've posted this before. One of my favorite parts of Mad Dogs and Beans was the small parking lot. You'd pull up and toss your keys to some random homeless looking guy who would tandem park cars and hold your keys until you were done eating lunch, while moving cars around so those that had been there the longest weren't blocked in.

I ate there a ton.  One of my best friends and bandmates worked there, but we never made the connection until we formally met years later.

I spent a shit ton of time and money consuming burgers and milkshakes at Mad Dogs, then hanging out next door at Les Amis hoping Denia (singer for Bad Mutha Goose) would take my espresso order.

On 7/9/2020 at 9:54 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I ate there a ton.  One of my best friends and bandmates worked there, but we never made the connection until we formally met years later.

I spent a shit ton of time and money consuming burgers and milkshakes at Mad Dogs, then hanging out next door at Les Amis hoping Denia (singer for Bad Mutha Goose) would take my espresso order.

never went to les amis.  was always too intimidating (and smoky) for me. quackenbush's seemed a little more lowbrow and accessible.  

mad dogs had a burger with guac and sprouts.  holy moley that was a tasty burger.  a little char on the patty.  that was a great place.  blue bell shakes.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @deej that was a good find, and I remember that lifestyle around Austin in the 70's and 80's. The film mentioned that David was an actor in Austin and he looks like the liquor store clerk in Dazed and confused.

In my years at McCallum in the late 70's some of our lunch place rotations would include Knight a Burger, Stallion, 2J's, Dart Bowl, Ol' Hickory BBQ, Holiday House, Top Notch, Pancho's, and of course the Taco Bell and Long john Silvers on Burnet Rd. were very popular.

In the early 80's the popular drinking hangouts were the Side Pocket, 183 Cue Club, Silver Dollar and the Lumber yard. Sixth Street was just beginning to become popular.

1 hour ago, TPCJ007 said:

Hey @deej that was a good find, and I remember that lifestyle around Austin in the 70's and 80's. The film mentioned that David was an actor in Austin and he looks like the liquor store clerk in Dazed and confused.

Yep, that's him.

He told my expectant wife to eat something green every day.  He is a wise man.  Still working today, I see...from IMDB.  

Edited by Lobo

On 7/25/2020 at 9:23 PM, TPCJ007 said:

David lives in my neighborhood and is always out for a walk.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I barely remember that place -- was it where Hula Hut is now or down the road from there?

It was across Lake Austin Blvd on the hillside, rather than  directly on the water at Oyster Landing.   In the early 90s they moved across to the water-side, and renamed/rethemed as "The Lodge at Lakeview" which wasn't nearly as good, aside from $1 Celis night on Thursdays.  The Lodge at Lakeview only lasted a couple of years and that building is the one right next to Hula Hut that's been Jake's and a dozen other things over the past two decades.  I honestly have no idea what it is now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

It was across Lake Austin Blvd on the hillside, rather than  directly on the water at Oyster Landing.   In the early 90s they moved across to the water-side, and renamed/rethemed as "The Lodge at Lakeview" which wasn't nearly as good, aside from $1 Celis night on Thursdays.  The Lodge at Lakeview only lasted a couple of years and that building is the one right next to Hula Hut that's been Jake's and a dozen other things over the past two decades.  I honestly have no idea what it is now.

Abel's on the Lake. And totally forgettable.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

I went to UT 85-89. I’m back for the first time. Where was mad dog?

I can’t find the location. And I can’t find anything but Continental club, the Driskel.  Is there anything else I can look for?

I wish I had a tour guide to remind me where everything was. 

On 3/18/2022 at 4:56 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

There are definitely some Old Austin food places in the range of these pics!  Jake's immediately comes to mind, and Beans on 6th street.

Beans was my broke-ass college crowd's regular rotation on Tuesday nights for 2-1 chicken fried steaks.  We typically rolled in with about 5-6 people.  We all ate one CFS, except the biggest dude, who could always down two by himself.

My older sister introduced me to Mad Dog & Beans when she was at UT in the early 80s.  I got two meals in me from there my freshman year in 92 before it closed for good.

My go-to was Porky's Demise, Fries, Cookies & Cream Milkshake.

Wow, had to be mid 80s or earlier?

In the early 90s, my standard Crown and Anchor lunchtime order of a jalapeno cheeseburger + FF and a coke, was $3.45.  And pitchers of Shiner Bock were maybe $4.50.  Pitchers at The Posse were $3.75.

I pitched the idea of sober ride vans to SXSW in year 2 (1988), and they responded by putting me in charge and gave me one van.  I picked up and drove a ton of out-of-town folks that weekend, and I'd make small talk with many of them.  A common theme was their surprise at how cheap food was in Austin.

If I think backwards, it seems our prices started to catch up some 15 years ago.  I might be off a bit, but I do recall going with my wife to Threadgill's when our youngest was a toddler (~ 2006) and thinking "huh, looks like every entree went up $1-$2".  It continued from there.

• 1 month later...