Star Wars: The Bad Batch, new animated series in 2021

mdmost

On 5/6/2021 at 10:08 PM, atomheartbevo said:

There are tie-ins for various Rebels characters just in the first Bad Batch episode.

Jedi padawan Caleb Dume in Bad Batch is Kanan Jarrus in Rebels.

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've enjoyed the Bad Batch, and how it's tying the Clone Wars together with Rebels - was kind of shocked/surprised they prominently featured Kanan Jarrus in the very first episode of Bad Batch.

Marvel has animated series lined up (What If and a few others), but they aren't true MCU.

I legit gasped when I saw little Kanan Jarrus pop up.  Was NOT expecting that.  Wow.

4 hours ago, Drew said:

I legit gasped when I saw little Kanan Jarrus pop up.  Was NOT expecting that.  Wow.

It’s a cool way to tie it into Rebels, and besides Order 66, gives us a solid grasp on when it takes place.   And I’m hoping we get more of him.

Having all of this solid world- and character building makes me even more ragey at the sequels.   

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Watched the first episode with my kid. Really enjoyed it. I liked that they filled in the Kanan angle which if I remember right was only hinted about. I love exploring the in-between of ROTS and ANH. 

I’m not even sure he was name-dropped as Caleb in the other shows, but I vaguely remember him mentioning his Jedi Master and had to look it up.  

Out of the animated shows, I think BB had the strongest first two episodes.   

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m not even sure he was name-dropped as Caleb in the other shows, but I vaguely remember him mentioning his Jedi Master and had to look it up.  

Out of the animated shows, I think BB had the strongest first two episodes.   

I thought the first Inquisitor said his real name and talked about how he failed his master and would fail Ezra. Or that was Maul. It's been a while. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've enjoyed the Bad Batch, and how it's tying the Clone Wars together with Rebels - was kind of shocked/surprised they prominently featured Kanan Jarrus in the very first episode of Bad Batch.
Marvel has animated series lined up (What If and a few others), but they aren't true MCU.

When they mentioned Kanan’s Jedi Master’s name (I forgot it again) my ears perked up and my mind immediately wondered if that was Kanan’s teacher. It was great to see it play out like that, exactly horrific as he mentioned it when he met up with old Rex.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/9/2021 at 12:27 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The loth wolf kept saying Dune in Rebels, I believe. It was mentioned a couple times at least that that was his original name.

Yeah it's been a while since I watched it, but wasn't it reveled in Rebels that Kanan's real name Caleb Dune? And he changed it after Order 66 to Kanan Jarus?

Another lingering annoyance (I know all I’m doing is complaining in this thread) is Omega staying with the BB. That’s just dumb and not a move that adults would have made, much less political refugees fleeing for their lives. Having an elite band of killers dragging an elementary schooler around in tow really softens the story and strays toward kiddie TV. One of the things I liked about Clone Wars was how raw it could be, it was real war with a real body count.

Yeah yeah, old man yells at clouds. But I was really hoping Omega would just disappear with that family.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah it's been a while since I watched it, but wasn't it reveled in Rebels that Kanan's real name Caleb Dune? And he changed it after Order 66 to Kanan Jarus?

It was mentioned in Rebels, specifically by the Loth Wolf and those various interactions.  

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Another lingering annoyance (I know all I’m doing is complaining in this thread) is Omega staying with the BB. That’s just dumb and not a move that adults would have made, much less political refugees fleeing for their lives. Having an elite band of killers dragging an elementary schooler around in tow really softens the story and strays toward kiddie TV. One of the things I liked about Clone Wars was how raw it could be, it was real war with a real body count.

Yeah yeah, old man yells at clouds. But I was really hoping Omega would just disappear with that family.

Agreed on that point, but you know Filoni is playing the long game here.

My guess is that Omega and her special abilities will almost certainly come into play in bringing back the Thrawn/Ezra/unknown region stories in future live action series.... and we'll likely see a grown-up live action Omega in those eventual series as well.

20 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

It didn’t need fixing. It was accurate the first time. And I’m a fan of Rogue One. 

Everyone watching BB needs to make sure they watch the last 4 episodes of The Clone Wars final season. 

Disagree on the Rogue One point, but agree about the quality of those episodes. They ARE fantastic and among the all-time best Star Wars content, without question.

Agreed on that point, but you know Filoni is playing the long game here.
My guess is that Omega and her special abilities will almost certainly come into play in bringing back the Thrawn/Ezra/unknown region stories in future live action series.... and we'll likely see a grown-up live action Omega in those eventual series as well.

I trust Filoni.
  • Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I hate myself for correcting something so small, but it is Caleb Dume, not Dune.  I only know this because my kids and I finished Rebels recently.  I liked Seasons 1 and 2 fine enough, but Season 3 took a real uptick in quality (to my adult brain) and Season 4 was legit amazing.  I was stunned how much I loved the last season.  It was really cool seeing young Kanan in BB.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Rebels is awesome. It starts out mostly kid friendly, but that's just a trojan horse to get you invested in the characters enough so that they can do some serious shit with them. The last season was the best Star Wars out there since the OT. At least it was until the last four episodes of clone wars.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Rebels is awesome. It starts out mostly kid friendly, but that's just a trojan horse to get you invested in the characters enough so that they can do some serious shit with them. The last season was the best Star Wars out there since the OT. At least it was until the last four episodes of clone wars.

And it has two of the best characters in all of Star Wars: Thrawn and Ashoka.

And Chopper, the best droid.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Rimbo said:

And it has two of the best characters in all of Star Wars: Thrawn and Ashoka.  And Chopper, the best droid.

Yep. Someone beat me to it... rat bastard.

image.thumb.png.1d9fb04c4d702ade1278213a21bfe82c.png

To your first point, Ashoka's easily one of my favorite characters in the SW universe. She annoyed me at first, which in hindsight was Filoni's intention. Her story arc, from a bratty kid in S1 of Clone Wars through the end of Rebels, is so damn good.  

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yes.

Rebels has a handful of the top 10-15 best Star Wars moments ever:

• The first time Kanan fires up his lightsaber and you realize he's a Jedi.
  • Ashoka vs. Vader
  • Kanan's sacrifice
  • Maul vs. Kenobi
  • Hook 'Em 5

20 hours ago, Dutch said:

Yep. Someone beat me to it... rat bastard.

image.thumb.png.1d9fb04c4d702ade1278213a21bfe82c.png

To your first point, Ashoka's easily one of my favorite characters in the SW universe. She annoyed me at first, which in hindsight was Filoni's intention. Her story arc, from a bratty kid in S1 of Clone Wars through the end of Rebels, is so damn good.  

Snips.

On 5/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Yes.

Rebels has a handful of the top 10-15 best Star Wars moments ever:

• The first time Kanan fires up his lightsaber and you realize he's a Jedi.
  • Ashoka vs. Vader
  • Kanan's sacrifice
  • Maul vs. Kenobi

I'd add a few 

• Ahsoka reuniting with Rex was cool
  • The Mandalorians and Sabine using the Dark Saber

And one of my favorites..

• Kenobi watching a very young Luke running home with Aunt Beru calling his name (music and dialogue from 1977 Star Wars)
On 5/11/2021 at 12:14 AM, Rimbo said:

And it has two of the best characters in all of Star Wars: Thrawn and Ashoka.

And Chopper, the best droid.

I'd add a third character that's in Rebels and is one of the best....Captain/Commander Rex.  I think he got promoted to Commander in the 4 episode season finale of CWs. 

Really hope he shows up in the Bad Batch.  I can't imagine that he won't.  

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I'd add a few 

• Ahsoka reuniting with Rex was cool
  • The Mandalorians and Sabine using the Dark Saber

And one of my favorites..

• Kenobi watching a very young Luke running home with Aunt Beru calling his name (music and dialogue from 1977 Star Wars)

I'd add a third character that's in Rebels and is one of the best....Captain/Commander Rex.  I think he got promoted to Commander in the 4 episode season finale of CWs. 

Really hope he shows up in the Bad Batch.  I can't imagine that he won't.  

I'd bet on it.

Filoni gonna continue to weave all of his important characters into these shows.  And now the Temura Morrison is working in the "Filoni-verse", in Mandalorian/Book of Boba Fett, I'd bet on him playing a live-action version of "Old Rex" at some point as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, Buzzrock said:

Another lingering annoyance (I know all I’m doing is complaining in this thread) is Omega staying with the BB. That’s just dumb and not a move that adults would have made, much less political refugees fleeing for their lives.

Her story plays out more in today's episode - and they do give her a chance to go live with that family.

It makes much more sense with today's episode I think - they view her as one of them, like a little sister, and given their whole thing, I don't think they'd leave her with somebody else if she wanted to be with them.

It wasn't that bad. The Crosshair part of the episode was decent and answers the question of whether this is going to be a kids' show or more YA like Clone Wars. I could be wrong, but I'll call it: There is no redemptive arc for Crosshair. His brutality lives on in the regular storm troopers in Rebels, Ep 4, etc. There is no need for a push away from the clones. Their lives are too short and the Kaminoans' capacity for cloning presents a threat that will need to be wiped out.

4 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

episode 4 , I dislike her more

episode 5, I hope she will die 

I'm curious to see what her character arc will be like. When Filoni first introduced Ahsoka, he intentionally wrote her character to be easily disliked so that she would have room to grow. I'm not too hung up on Omega yet, and she's been a nice foil to the bad batch's warrior lifestyle

8 hours ago, Captainant said:

I'm curious to see what her character arc will be like. When Filoni first introduced Ahsoka, he intentionally wrote her character to be easily disliked so that she would have room to grow. I'm not too hung up on Omega yet, and she's been a nice foil to the bad batch's warrior lifestyle

It feels as if Filoni is doing an Ahsoka repeat with Omega. Make her whiney and the cause of problems to create dislike. There's no Anakin to bounce Omega off though. 

Oh hell, maybe I am being a little harsh and just don't like the character. 

Still want her to die in episode 5 :) 

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

She’s certainly not whiney and I’m sure he had a plan for her. 

Nice tie in to mandalorian / book of boba 

I'm curious if Omega is effectively a female Boba, could certainly add some interesting wrinkles to Book of Boba. 

God, it's just so nice to have active and growing storylines for star wars again. Can't wait to see what they do with Thrown in the Ahsoka series

My younger daughter and I watch the show together and we're always chuckling at Omega's Kiwi accent. She annoys us but she's a kid who's never left Kamino so she's pretty green. It's not Rebels but it's not awful. They are definitely not making it a full on kiddie show which is enjoyable. Fenic shot that cop and it wasn't a Rebels' type oh it just missed and he fell off his speeder bike type shot. It was full on, hole into chest and then he crashes his bike into his partner's bike type shot. Combine that with Crosshair's massacre last episode. This is definitely the dark times Obi Wan was talking about. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

she's a kid who's never left Kamino so she's pretty green. 

yea, I see that now that I think about it. She comes across as a wimpy weak character and maybe that plays off the Bad Batch tough guy persona.

I will give her one more episode. Then ....

Rocky Die GIF - Rocky Die IsSheDiesSheDies GIFs

• Like 1

In Filoni I trust but holy shit, it's been hard to get through the last 3 episodes. Omega's character so far is pretty annoyingly cliche. Useless naive kid gets the crew in trouble, again.

Shit better pick up or I'll stop watching until I know it gets better. Then I'll binge watch the shit eps to get to the better ones.