Star Wars: The Bad Batch, new animated series in 2021

mdmost

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It hasn't already?  

"The Bad Batch details the parental challenges of the most dangerous and capable Clone battalion in the Galaxy as they transition to civilian life raising an adopted teenage clone as she struggles with puberty, boys, and social media."

• Haha 2

On 3/2/2023 at 3:48 PM, TexTexTex said:

Trying to get my 7yo son into some star wars and don't think he's quite ready for the movies yet.  What's the kid age range for this show?

I would start him off on Rebels.  It's much better than Bad Batch.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/2/2023 at 3:50 PM, Scary Stranger said:

That should have been the 2nd episode with a focus that story for the season.

Rebels is more youth oriented than Clone Wars in my opinion. It also zips along. Clone Wars drags. Both great, but Rebels will hold a 7 year old’s attention. 

I’d probably watch Bad Bath after Rebels and Clone Wars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2023 at 1:48 PM, TexTexTex said:

Trying to get my 7yo son into some star wars and don't think he's quite ready for the movies yet.  What's the kid age range for this show?

7 is plenty old enough for the movies.

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bad Bath

i love this typo so much

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The last two episodes have been very good, and I enjoyed the double episode arc before them as well. Hopefully it keeps on in this direction.

The two-parter was good, and this week's was good, but I was meh on last week. Though that might be the stress of last week talking.

I suppose Filoni is trying to show the difficulties of the clones in the Empire.   The Bad Batch seemed to have a shitty deal with Sid, and their loyalty to her was really not repaid, she continued to be callous even in the face of loyalty.   Now they are really on their own.   Crosshairs episodes were a bit more on the nose but so damn well done that it works.   

The logic behind abusing experienced troops in favor of new stormtrooper recruits seems a bit absurd, but I guess maybe from a Sith Lord's perspective, having good troops around en masse is a liability.   

20 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen episodes of Paw Patrol that were better written than that. 

The whole episode felt like a rehash of previous plotlines.   Mando enters the village with Grogu,  kid find kids to play with.  Mando relaxes.  Something happens.  They recover and think about staying on.   

I did like how Wrecker interacted with the fellow big guy.   

Sid's threat is hollow as fuck.  She was taken captive so easily last time.   

1 hour ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I enjoy the transition to Empire episodes. Anything that speaks to the larger story is a fun episode. 

Next week is a two part season finale, I believe.

Yes next week is dropping both episodes 

On 3/23/2023 at 6:00 PM, nineliveslost said:

really like the episodes with Crosshair, dislike any parts with Omega. She is bothersome to me and just not my thing 

Filoni, you got me frustrated with Omega. She appeared to be force sensitive in previous seasons, and of course they don't spend 5 seconds on it in this season. 

Omega better start doing some cool shit real soon.

Filoni is going HAM with Bad Batch, it's just unfortunate that they have to build towards snoke and the first order lol. Same sorta story arc as in Mando as well with intrigue around cloning and the empire

Also, fuckin SWISH! I do like the headfake in that Omega herself isn't special - they've got more clones, "sisters", of her just lying around torturing other clones. Omega is just leverage against Nala-Se in the emperor's ongoing cloning interests

Another master class from Filoni.

Spoiler

Tech should probably stay dead. Very unlikely he could survive a Cliffhanger like fall, and his death had real emotional depth. He gave his life for the squad. 

The rescue mission is the most obvious Star Wars troupe, and even Filoni uses it too much. But yes, Season 3 should be cool. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

Filoni is going HAM with Bad Batch, it's just unfortunate that they have to build towards snoke and the first order lol. Same sorta story arc as in Mando as well with intrigue around cloning and the empire

Also, fuckin SWISH! I do like the headfake in that Omega herself isn't special - they've got more clones, "sisters", of her just lying around torturing other clones. Omega is just leverage against Nala-Se in the emperor's ongoing cloning interests

I don't think that they have to build to Snoke and the First Order, those events take place nearly 40 years from the current Bad Batch storyline.  Approximately twenty years until Luke and the Battle of Yavin, and another twenty or so years after Yavin until Snoke and the First Order come along.  For now, they can just focus on the cloning technology and the Empire's rise.  They might get into cloning the Emperor.  Seems like that was the subject of one of the 90s comic book storylines from Dark Horse Comics.  

Spoiler

Interesting to see Commander Krennic give a status about Project Stardust.  I'd like to see the Bad Batch tied into that.  

Also agree on Tech.  It would be better if he stays deceased, but with the Imperial Scientist having found his goggles, he may have tried some cloning tech to bring him back.  Then again, Crosshair might take his spot on the squad. 

Edited by DeepEastTexas

22 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Seems like that was the subject of one of the 90s comic book storylines from Dark Horse Comics.  

It's gloriously schlocky and pulpy lol

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Dark_Empire

Had the ridiculous and awesome Eclipse-class Star Destroyer, though, which is neat. It's alot of the basis of the sequel trilogy I think, at least as far as the "Palpatine reborn" and a secret sith planet full of superweapons that get unleashed on the galaxy until a small ragtag team of heros gathers a fleet to do a David vs Goliath

Edited by Captainant

At least now Omega has a big sister and her stepmom to talk to when she gets her period instead of having Tech and Wrecker awkwardly explain her changing body, which was how this season was trending. 

Good point about major plot line to both Mando and Bad Batch is related to cloning, and Filoni having to divert his creativity to plug holes for the shit sequels. 

• 8 months later...

Finally re-upped my Disney subscription and got to watching this....

glad to see everyone else is saying HOLY SHIT about Omega. 

I get it, its supposed to be a kid-friendly show and have characters kids can relate to, but she is everything that is wrong with every fucking script-writer in hollywood right now when they need to write in a story about kids.

its always, "lets write something where the kids do something so absolutely so headshakingly moronic that forces the parents/guardians to make a decision or a move that is so counter-intuative to their secret/safety/personalty to move the story along". 

The clueless uber-smart-but-equally-idiotic child schtick gets boring really fucking quickly. 

every. single. fucking. time. There are multiple instances of this over the last 15 years on TV shows.

It took a few episodes to realize exactly where I had seen this same fucking storyline....

then it clicked.  Omega is literally Carl (Coral) from Season 2 of the Walking Dead...

the "Carl dont leave the house or the farm" season!

Carl dont walk in the woods alone, Carl, dont go in the basement, Carl dont go in the barn......  10 fucking episodes of Carl being a fucking idiot. Followed by season 3 where there were another 5 or so episodes of him being a moron. 

This was also the same problem with the last 3.5 seasons of The Americans, where Paige kept fucking up and getting them critically close to being discovered, especially the last 1.5 seasons where she is trying to become another super-spy.

Debbie in Shameless where they get her pregnant at 15 like 5 seasons in, only to become an absolute cunt to her kid. 

and this Bad Batch  season finale cliffhanger was literally telegraphed so early on, it was not even a remote shock.... and of course it also was another direct result of the fucking kid knowing better than all the adults about what to do, refusing to follow basic orders, and knowing she knew best.... until she didnt. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...