Star Wars: The Bad Batch, new animated series in 2021

mdmost

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:
God we're gonna spend the next decade of Star Wars shows retconning the stupid sequels

Not retconning (we could only be so lucky) but Filoni, Favs, and every other writer/director trying to make chicken salad out of VIII-IX's plot choices.

I enjoyed the finale.  Apparently the Empire's attempt to kill him didn't sway Crosshair's opinion of it.

A better S1 than CW or Rebels; bring on S2. I'd like a few eps that deal with the galaxy during the post-Republic pre-Rebellion period (like the episode that focused on Ryloth).

On 8/14/2021 at 2:09 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I don't recall the first season of Rebels or Clone Wars ending with a holy shit moment, but I don't really remember how they ended.

Well, after Kanan killed the Inquisitor, the other rebel cells showed up. They were led by Ahsoka, who at that point we didn’t know if she was still alive or not. The last episode, usually last two episodes, of each season of Rebels had holy shit moments. 

Season 1 of CW ended with Cad Bane and the bounty hunters seizing the senate building. Not as holy shit as Rebels. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got through the season. I really liked it. A bit formulaic with job>obstacle>plan put out>Hunter doesn't like it, sighs, and then signs on>things work out. The final 3 made up for that a bit. Watching it with my younger kid and she really enjoyed it. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

First two eps are out. I thought it was pretty good but looks like Omeeega is gonna be a central figure for the long haul. 

uggghhh. Not a fan of Omega, but it looks like the Ahsoka story arc... Ahsoka wasn't really liked in the beginning then became a beloved character. Aint going to happen with Omega. 

Good curveball this week, but yeah, we get it, Crosshair is currently the devil.  I’m sure the redemption arc/sacrifices himself for the team is coming, but I’d rather he just stay evil. 

Seems to me the story is about life as a clone in the Empire. They are being phased out, disrespected, and their service is not appreciated. The old republic had a clone brotherhood and now even with dwindling numbers he is isolated and the clones remaining largely just stick together trying to keep that up in an Empire which does not foster it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Nivek said:

Seems to me the story is about life as a clone in the Empire. They are being phased out, disrespected, and their service is not appreciated. The old republic had a clone brotherhood and now even with dwindling numbers he is isolated and the clones remaining largely just stick together trying to keep that up in an Empire which does not foster it.

Exactly right. Seems like they're continuing to set up the story surrounding the transition from professional soldiers like the Clone Army to the conscripted and volunteer Stormtrooper Army, and done so from multiple soldier perspectives.  I thought it was really well done. We're seeing the Galactic Empire's beginning. Cody will definitely be a bigger player in this series and possibly other series. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watching the new season? The episodes aren't all bangers but the animation looks great and I'm enjoying their motif episodes, between the racing and the Indiana Jones homage it's a pretty fun show

Edit: oh yeah and I'm betting we see some of that pre-republic tech and puzzle structure in the next Jedi Fallen Order game

Edited by Captainant

The Crosshair episode was the best one of the season, IMO.  The speeder and the ancient tech episodes were a bit blah, but had their moments.  It is too formulaic for a group of treasure hunters to hunt and find treasure only to lose it to survive and be right back where they started.  The overly confident people getting 50% cut and being worth about 5% is annoying.   But I suppose they are showing how unsavvy the clones are in this world and how they are being taken advantage of.  I do like that Echo is participating more.

Through 5 episodes, this season is the suck. Ep 5 is the definition of filler. In other series, Filoni is able to tie filler episodes to fit the bigger plot so hopefully he proves me wrong. But my opinion right now is Ep 5 sucked shit through a straw, as bad as the Martez sisters episodes in Clone Wars.

Through 5 episodes, this season is the suck. Ep 5 is the definition of filler. In other series, Filoni is able to tie filler episodes to fit the bigger plot so hopefully he proves me wrong. But my opinion right now is Ep 5 sucked shit through a straw, as bad as the Martez sisters episodes in Clone Wars.

Wow. Those were bad.

So far, I'd say the best episode this season was the Solitary Clone. It featured Crosshair, an ex-Bad Batch member. 

But, the overall story of Clones and how they've made their way during a time of transition from Republic to Empire is the most intriguing aspect of this series and we don't necessarily need Clone Force 99 for that. 

I've enjoyed the season so far, even with the last 3 filler episodes. Really curious where the series goes after this week's ending. 

With so many fillers or episodes centered on Omega Aussie whining, I’ve lost track for the motivation behind eliminating the clones. Was the Empire too financially strapped to keep buying clones or to repay their original debts to Kamino, or was it more about a new form of control by conscripting x% of youths from various planets to join the stormtroopers?

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

With so many fillers or episodes centered on Omega Aussie whining, I’ve lost track for the motivation behind eliminating the clones. Was the Empire too financially strapped to keep buying clones or to repay their original debts to Kamino, or was it more about a new form of control by conscripting x% of youths from various planets to join the stormtroopers?

It seems that the Empire sought to eliminate the Kaminoans to remove the potential future threats against the Empire.   I think that the last episodes have been trying to explore the excuse to maintain a large military force to ensure that peace is being sold to the senate and their presence is being normalized.   As the Republic lacked a significant unified military force to deal with the first existential threat.  

• 3 weeks later...

You have the most badass clones ever created and you have 2 episodes of them going on a mining mission, getting their ship stolen, and freeing some miners from a mob boss. This season has been disappointing. Yea, Filoni is trying to show the state of the galaxy after the rise of the empire but that shit existed when the Republic was in charge. Kinda pointless and meaningless. 

Which leads me to what the hell is this show about anymore? 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

You have the most badass clones ever created and you have 2 episodes of them going on a mining mission, getting their ship stolen, and freeing some miners from a mob boss. This season has been disappointing. Yea, Filoni is trying to show the state of the galaxy after the rise of the empire but that shit existed when the Republic was in charge. Kinda pointless and meaningless. 

Which leads me to what the hell is this show about anymore? 

I think Omega is going to get her period soon and Troop 99 is going to have to deal with the emotional ramifications of that. 

• Haha 2