Costa Rica

HornPhD

Yeah so they’ve been working on it for about 10 days now. Took the parts off and took them to the shop, cleaned and painted the stuff that is still good, got new parts for some of it, now putting it back together. Honestly I thought I knew a little about the engines but after watching them do this 90% of the time I’m thinking what the fuck is that? I’m glad I’m not a diesel mechanic.

• Like 1

Well we didn’t get finished today so I did not get to take @ernest_t_bassout for a cruise. I’m 99% positive we will be done tomorrow so he just needs to stay one more day. Fishing is still kind of slow but the marlin are still around. Typical day is raise 2 or 3 marlin and 8-10 sails. I’m here 3 more weeks if anyone wants to come fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok my wife and I are going mid-June and staying at Nayara Springs for five nights, the adults only side.  Got a decent Web Special flight on AA down there in first using miles.  Have read the last few pages but pardon of these questions are recurrent:

1) We plan to have 2 chill on property days, 2 mostly-offsite excursion days and maybe a day to check out the town.  Wife doesn’t seem to want to whitewater or fish, is zip lining special there?  Waterfall trip?  We did the monkey trail in Krabi so can hike ok but don’t want to go nuts. 

2) Looks like we should plan to minimize airport exchange and just withdraw local currency in ATMs?  Bring a few hundy USD as well?

3) Flying into Liberia…is security/customs intense?  Damn stoplight system?  Would like to throw a few D8 gummies into a bag of candy with my carryon for extra-relaxing pool time but if there’s dogs/etc won’t risk it.  

4) Seems Nayara lives up to its reputation.  Any tips on the springs or the joint property?

I’ll hang up and listen.  We did an amazing Bali tour on our honeymoon, Thailand in 2019 and are generally very comfortable traveling…CR has an Ubud feel to it and I’m beyond excited.  

59 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Ok my wife and I are going mid-June and staying at Nayara Springs for five nights, the adults only side.  Got a decent Web Special flight on AA down there in first using miles.  Have read the last few pages but pardon of these questions are recurrent:

1) We plan to have 2 chill on property days, 2 mostly-offsite excursion days and maybe a day to check out the town.  Wife doesn’t seem to want to whitewater or fish, is zip lining special there?  Waterfall trip?  We did the monkey trail in Krabi so can hike ok but don’t want to go nuts. 

2) Looks like we should plan to minimize airport exchange and just withdraw local currency in ATMs?  Bring a few hundy USD as well?

3) Flying into Liberia…is security/customs intense?  Damn stoplight system?  Would like to throw a few D8 gummies into a bag of candy with my carryon for extra-relaxing pool time but if there’s dogs/etc won’t risk it.  

4) Seems Nayara lives up to its reputation.  Any tips on the springs or the joint property?

I’ll hang up and listen.  We did an amazing Bali tour on our honeymoon, Thailand in 2019 and are generally very comfortable traveling…CR has an Ubud feel to it and I’m beyond excited.  

I’ve only been up there once and that was about 7 years ago. The resort was so nice and relaxing we basically just stayed on property the whole time but did go into La Fortuna one night for a great meal and drinks.

yes bring some cash and it’s best to bring mostly 10’s 5’s and 1’s.

I’ve never flown into Liberia. San Jose customs is a joke no stoplight system they just have you put your bag through an X-ray machine.I’ve been stopped exactly one time and that was because my buddy had a cooler full of ribs and brisket. Fuckers took most but not all of it I guess so they could have a nice dinner that night.

@midtown I think has been there fairly recently and I know some others have too. Have a great trip.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, justhookit said:

@midtown I think has been there fairly recently and I know some others have too. Have a great trip.

Never been through Liberia.   Agreed SJO is all about getting you in country and spending your $USD.   My buddy who met me last time did say he saw dogs but I've never seen them at SJO and I have no idea what they are actually looking for.

Not trying to be a jerk but whitewater rafting and fishing are probably some of the best in the entire world in CR and you're skipping both.    Btw fishing doesn't have to be all day deep sea.  There are inshore fishing options at Im sure hook can point out better than me.   

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, midtown said:

Never been through Liberia.   Agreed SJO is all about getting you in country and spending your $USD.   My buddy who met me last time did say he saw dogs but I've never seen them at SJO and I have no idea what they are actually looking for

I’ve seen the dogs but it’s always been leaving the country. One of my last trips going through security a 6 month old German Shepard jumped on to the luggage x-ray machine as my bag and others were coming out. They pulled me aside and searched my bag. Of course they didn’t find anything but I’m sure it smelled like weed because pretty much everyone I’m around down here smokes. I got a little worried when they took a picture of my passport but I haven’t had any issues since then.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Ok thanks for the feedback.  I was only thinking like 4 gummies tucked into a candy bag or in a jar with melatonin gummies my wife uses.  I’ve traveled that way before with no issues but not internationally.  Last thing I want is to ruin the vacation, crazily it’s my wife asking about it…which is ok with me as crazy high monkey sex in the plunge pool sounds like a helluva evening there.  

Ive read small amounts are decriminalized and know not all dogs are looking for that…if so every one would be alerting at Vegas, or Cali.  

So if arrivals is pretty laid back that’s ok with me.  Anything unused would be dumped before returning.  

10 minutes ago, Homercles said:

So if arrivals is pretty laid back that’s ok with me.  Anything unused would be dumped before returning.

I've gone to and from with gummies with zero issues to both CR and Belize.   I can't imagine them giving you any problems for a few.  I'd be shocked if CR dogs are trained for gummies.  Just don't bring anything that would make them open your bag like food or the likes

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

So we just completed an outstanding trip to Manuel Antonio/Quepos (Tulemar), and I already want to get back.  What is the next destination in this great country to see?  Arenal volcano?  Other volcano?  Gulf side?

I wouldn’t do the Caribbean side. Arenal is great and you can do the cloud forest near there on the same trip. Or do the northern Pacific beaches. Honestly the best trip is Corcovado National Park down south on the Osa peninsula. It’s like Jurassic park. But you really can’t go wrong anywhere here. You weren’t even in Manuel Antonio long enough to explore it and the surrounding area.

On 4/13/2022 at 9:02 AM, ernest_t_bass said:

Gulf side?

My understanding of the gulf side.  It's very backpack get lost hippy no job kind of place.  Lots of drugs and crime.  But you can say that about a lot of places though.  Also the infrastructure is pretty bad.  I heard of a friend of a friend and their family got stuck because a bunch of bridges/road etc got washed out. That type of stuff.  

You might consider one of the central valley towns like Atenas/San Ramon to just chill and enjoy the local area, people, food, and weather.  Its on the way down from SJO.   Pretty sure there are some pictures of my night in Atenas while looking at houses. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Still catching up on this thread but about to pull the trigger on the JW in Guanacaste in June. Only reason I’m hesitating is the rainy season. Any concerns here? I can handle late day rain but not 24/7 rain.

Usually clear in the mornings. Will cloud up about  4 p.m. every day and rain. Sometimes for 30 minutes; sometimes for hours. It has been my experience that the afternoon rains don't often go into the evenings. I usually plan to post up in a bar somewhere about 4 p.m. every day and get drinks/decide my evening plans while it is raining. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Still catching up on this thread but about to pull the trigger on the JW in Guanacaste in June. Only reason I’m hesitating is the rainy season. Any concerns here? I can handle late day rain but not 24/7 rain.

I stayed at that resort in June a few years ago. Rain wasn’t a big deal. Up the street is Tamarindo which is very cool.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah the rain up there isn’t all that bad. You can get unlucky and be there when it rains all day but that isn’t normal.

I’m starting to look into moving down full time or at least for a year and see how it goes. Or if I’m being honest I’ve been thinking about it a long time but my girlfriend finally decided she’s ready to give it a shot. If I can get everything worked out it’ll happen this summer. Stay tuned.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, midtown said:

Make sure you have 50 bedroom place for all the surly assholes who will be crashing with you

Between surly and my family I’ve already decided I don’t need a house I’ll need a hotel. And I thought Port A was bad.

pretty sure I’m going to rent something for 6 months or a year to make sure it’s the right decision and also see what happens with my house here. I’m not going to sell so I’ll put it in the STR pool with a property management company. If the market stays the same that will fully fund CR plus I’ll make a decent amount.

After that I’d probably buy something there. We met some good people down there this year from Ft. Worth that moved down full time about 6 months ago. They bought a really nice house that they list on Airbnb and when it’s rented out they just go stay in a condo in Jaco. They shared some of the financials on that deal with me and it’s definitely working.

11 minutes ago, midtown said:

I'd like to hear more you work thought it.  I am on a FB group called moving to CR and it's pretty informative but also some really dumb stuff.  Was thinking the same.  Bounce around to a few towns for 3-4 month stretches before buying

They are clearing about 3500 a month. It’s a very nice 4 bedroom with a pool on the road up to Manuel Antonio. But that’s since November so I’m real curious to see what happens in the off-season. Or you can buy a really nice house down there for cheap as long as you don’t buy in the tourist spots. Of course that means you won’t be able to rent it out when you aren’t there.

The market there has gone really soft compared to the prices we were seeing 6 or 7 years ago. How much of that is Covid related I don’t know. I have a good friend that’s a realtor in Los Suenos/Jaco and when I go back next month we will have a long talk.

My other issue I have to work out is I just listed my boat. I’ll go crazy down there without a boat so if it sells quickly I’m going to be scrambling to find a replacement. I have a feeling I’ll be sitting out at least one season and hoping the market comes back to reality. If it doesn’t I’ll probably have to buy a CR flagged boat that I can have my captain run charters on to help with the expenses. 

I have family that lives near Tamarindo. I visited in the rainy season and the rains could be intense but usually of short duration then bright clear skies. I wouldn't let it deter you.

Renting a 4x4 is highly recommended though to access rural beaches and other remote and mountainous places. The roads are pretty rough in many places.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 10:01 AM, justhookit said:

I know a bunch of y’all have stayed there already and know what a great property it is, but Tulemar was just ranked #1 hotel in the world again by TripAdvisor.

https://ticotimes.net/2022/05/13/costa-rica-is-home-to-the-worlds-best-hotel-according-to-tripadvisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Hotels

Yeah, that is a sweet place in so many respects. 

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

Just booked a trip for November - @justhookit any recommendations for a guide in the papagayo area?

Your guess would be as good as mine. Pretty much all the charter boats that are worth a shit are in Los Suenos and Quepos. Rhino Charger and WetAss 2 used to be considered the best up in that area but that’s been years and I have no idea how they are now.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Any recs on rental car companies in CR?  Trying to navigate all the mandatory insurance and what's covered/not from CC and whatnot

I’m no help on this either. The parking/traffic situation is so bad there I really say it is easier to not rent a car, unless you are planning on doing a bunch of traveling. I feel like a broken record but I have a car in CR but I hardly ever use it. When I was there for 3 months this winter I probably drove 3 or 4 times. Long trips hire a private driver, bus, or shared shuttle. For around town find a few good taxi drivers and call them directly when you want a ride. Or the buses are easy.

Now if you are doing say San Jose to Monteverde to Arenal to Tamarindo or Manuel Antonio and want to explore then yeah rent a car. 

I I used economy last time I rented. Had no issues driving around. It was economical with 3 people and the need to drive out to Atenas and back and then pick up friends etc. Also made it easy to get around MA to the marina then down to Dominical.

There are these 4-5 right next to the Hampton Inn. Especially convenient if you are flying in late and need a place to crash before getting your rental.

Screenshot_20220601-145920.thumb.jpg.5e39680f9cd57f87c066c8124e713ca2.jpg

Leaving Sunday for a vrbo home in Manuel Antonio. Wife and I have kicked around buying a place there. Mostly as an investment that we’d use a couple times a year and rent out the rest. 
Anyone have a realtor/management company to help us navigate the process? I’ve run some preliminary numbers and it appears to make some sense. But it could be just me wanting a place down there pretty bad. 

Retirement goal is to spend 1/3 of the year down there and the rest of the time in the states somewhere. 

Going down to Costa Rica tomorrow. Like all vacations, I don’t have a clue what we’re doing or where we’re staying, my wife is in charge of that department. Only questions I have for now are how much cash I should bring? Do I need to exchange for the local currency? Can I take care of most expenses with a credit card?

6 hours ago, 4HE said:

Leaving Sunday for a vrbo home in Manuel Antonio. Wife and I have kicked around buying a place there. Mostly as an investment that we’d use a couple times a year and rent out the rest. 
Anyone have a realtor/management company to help us navigate the process? I’ve run some preliminary numbers and it appears to make some sense. But it could be just me wanting a place down there pretty bad. 

Retirement goal is to spend 1/3 of the year down there and the rest of the time in the states somewhere. 

I’ve got a bunch of options. I’ll send you a message tomorrow. Need to charge up my Tico phone. And sleep. Damn positive Covid test isn’t letting me go back to sleep very easily.

16 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Going down to Costa Rica tomorrow. Like all vacations, I don’t have a clue what we’re doing or where we’re staying, my wife is in charge of that department. Only questions I have for now are how much cash I should bring? Do I need to exchange for the local currency? Can I take care of most expenses with a credit card?

Really depends on where y’all are going for how much to take. If it’s remote you obviously need more. No need to exchange going in they will take dollars just fine. Once you are there it’s best to use colones. Find a recommended ATM and get local cash. Pretty much everywhere will take credit cards and it’s always best to use them. Again it would be way easier to answer all that if I knew if you were going to Manuel Antonio or the Corcovado national park or somewhere else. It’s not like here, your location is going to determine your ease of access to things like banks or ATM’s and it’s going to vary widely.

We’re at the Arenas Del Mar close to Manuel Antonio. Our guide had eagles eyes and could spot animals in the trees that we would NEVER had seen without him pointing a telescope at it.

Unfortunately we’re rained in and had to cancel our sailboat ride. Hoping the weather will clear up in the afternoon. But sitting on a balcony watching the ocean and drinking GOOD Costa Rican coffee isn’t necessarily a bad use of time.

Tomorrow we head to some other place with a volcano. Again I don’t know where it is or what It’s called. But assuming the weather is good, it should be a good time since we’re booked for horseback riding and zip lining.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

We’re at the Arenas Del Mar close to Manuel Antonio. Our guide had eagles eyes and could spot animals in the trees that we would NEVER had seen without him pointing a telescope at it.

Unfortunately we’re rained in and had to cancel our sailboat ride. Hoping the weather will clear up in the afternoon. But sitting on a balcony watching the ocean and drinking GOOD Costa Rican coffee isn’t necessarily a bad use of time.

Tomorrow we head to some other place with a volcano. Again I don’t know where it is or what It’s called. But assuming the weather is good, it should be a good time since we’re booked for horseback riding and zip lining.

You are probably going to Arenal volcano as it’s the most popular and has the most accommodations. It’s a long drive. It almost never rains all day so hopefully you aren’t unlucky and get out this afternoon. The marina is worth a visit even if you aren’t able to get on the sailboat. Have drinks and watch the sunset at Cuba Libre, good food there too.

4 hours ago, Superhero said:

People always complain about the green season and I guess it sucks when it cxls an outdoor event like sailing or rafting but I do love coming home from a long day of fishing or hiking etc and sitting on a balcony or in a cliffside bar under cover while it pours down.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, midtown said:

People always complain about the green season and I guess it sucks when it cxls an outdoor event like sailing or rafting but I do love coming home from a long day of fishing or hiking etc and sitting on a balcony or in a cliffside bar under cover while it pours down.   

Yup. indeed. 

On 6/6/2022 at 1:03 PM, midtown said:

Es la verdad. Shit I love to go down there just for the rain—I could be in the rain all damned day and be happy. Don’t get much of that in the Permian Basin. 

Edited by 4HE

On 6/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, justhookit said:

You are probably going to Arenal volcano as it’s the most popular and has the most accommodations. It’s a long drive. It almost never rains all day so hopefully you aren’t unlucky and get out this afternoon. The marina is worth a visit even if you aren’t able to get on the sailboat. Have drinks and watch the sunset at Cuba Libre, good food there too.

We spent most of the day traveling and checked in at the Tobacon, which has its own hot springs “garden”. We spent the afternoon dipping in the pools, and got massages under the waterfalls. It was an amazing experience.

Unfortunately we’re only here for one night so hopefully the weather gods will cooperate and let us do horseback riding and zip lines through the canopy.

We head back to San Jose tomorrow evening and leave the following day. Kind of a shame we’re only here for 5 nights, but I like the place. It remind be a bit like Bali where the missus and I went for our honeymoon many years ago.

51 minutes ago, Superhero said:

We spent most of the day traveling and checked in at the Tobacon, which has its own hot springs “garden”. We spent the afternoon dipping in the pools, and got massages under the waterfalls. It was an amazing experience.

Unfortunately we’re only here for one night so hopefully the weather gods will cooperate and let us do horseback riding and zip lines through the canopy.

We head back to San Jose tomorrow evening and leave the following day. Kind of a shame we’re only here for 5 nights, but I like the place. It remind be a bit like Bali where the missus and I went for our honeymoon many years ago.

Nice. The Tabacon resort is great. Amazing rooms, your wife did well choosing. I stayed there 2 or 3 nights and never left the property. Hopefully it’s clear enough that you can see the Arenal volcano. It’s still dormant, correct? When the lava was flowing it made for some amazing nighttime scenery.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:12 PM, justhookit said:

Nice. The Tabacon resort is great. Amazing rooms, your wife did well choosing. I stayed there 2 or 3 nights and never left the property. Hopefully it’s clear enough that you can see the Arenal volcano. It’s still dormant, correct? When the lava was flowing it made for some amazing nighttime scenery.

The Tabacon resort is indeed great. The hot springs were amazing and it’s too bad we only spent 2-3 hours there.

Unfortunately there were low clouds and we could only see the bottom 1/3 of the volcano.

But the kids got to ride horses for their first time. I thought it was amusing that one of the dogs from the stable came with us on the ride. She seemed so happy running ahead of us, playing in every puddle she found, and rolling around on the grass.

My son zip lined for the first time. He was kind of scared, but the guides told him to try the first one by himself to see what he thought. After that, he couldn’t wait to do the next ones by himself and yelled “yahooooo” every time he launched. He also did the Tarzan swing twice, and probably would have done it 10 more times if we had time.

Our flight is delayed. Supposed to leave at 730, and now it’s postponed to 215. If we had known, we would have stayed somewhere a little nicer instead of the Hampton Inn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Superhero said:

The Tabacon resort is indeed great. The hot springs were amazing and it’s too bad we only spent 2-3 hours there.

Unfortunately there were low clouds and we could only see the bottom 1/3 of the volcano.

But the kids got to ride horses for their first time. I thought it was amusing that one of the dogs from the stable came with us on the ride. She seemed so happy running ahead of us, playing in every puddle she found, and rolling around on the grass.

My son zip lined for the first time. He was kind of scared, but the guides told him to try the first one by himself to see what he thought. After that, he couldn’t wait to do the next ones by himself and yelled “yahooooo” every time he launched. He also did the Tarzan swing twice, and probably would have done it 10 more times if we had time.

Our flight is delayed. Supposed to leave at 730, and now it’s postponed to 215. If we had known, we would have stayed somewhere a little nicer instead of the Hampton Inn. 

Sounds great. I’ll bet y’all already want to go back.

BTW, y’all got really lucky getting out of Manuel Antonio when you did. I’ve gotten a bunch of videos from friends there from yesterday and it is flooding bad. The town of Quepos has about a foot or more of water and it’s coming in all the shops and restaurants.

Edited by justhookit

I posted this earlier but I guess it didn’t go through. Southwest had a sale starting 2 days ago and I think it ends at midnight tonight. FALL40 promo code, book now and travel starting mid August through the end of October. I got 2 round trip tickets from Corpus to San Jose for $640.  Last week I couldn’t find a single ticket for under 700.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:41 AM, justhookit said:

BTW, y’all got really lucky getting out of Manuel Antonio when you did. I’ve gotten a bunch of videos from friends there from yesterday and it is flooding bad. The town of Quepos has about a foot or more of water and it’s coming in all the shops and restaurants.

Holy shit. I just google it.   That sea wall is pretty high if I can remember  I would think the storm drains would run that off pretty quickly

https://qcostarica.com/quepos-flooded-by-heavy-rains-photos/

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 11:41 AM, justhookit said:

This is normal for rainy season, correct?  Since Quips is below see level.

33 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

This is normal for rainy season, correct?  Since Quips is below see level.

Not really. It maybe happens once each rainy season. I’ve never been there when it rains like that. I’m headed down mid August for at least 3 weeks and hoping I don’t run into that.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

Landed in Liberia about 2 hours ago.  Y’all weren’t kidding it’s a small, chill airport…customs scanner guy looked like he was on island time and I’m not even sure there was a screen on the X-ray for him to look at.   Backpack coulda been made out of D8 gummies and my man wouldn’t have given a shit.  

Our flight in announced they hadn’t stocked the customs forms on board.  After getting passport stamped and walking by Customs Scanner Guy, I didn’t see a single person receive, fill out, get asked for or otherwise have anything to do with the usual ‘keep second half of this for your outbound flight’ paper that can be such serious business abroad.  

Are we gonna die, murdered for not having our original no-declarations paper?  Was gonna ask at the hotel but we got two more hours in the van to Nayara so might as well ask the collective.