Costa Rica

HornPhD

Google tells me they no longer use them.  Still was more fun to post here.  I’ve been fucked over enough during times in Asia to be wary of paperwork details…just based on no customs bullshit and gorgeous scenery on way to La Fortuna, already know I’m gonna love my time here.  

I've never been given anything ever for outbound from any country in the last 4 years sans Japan.  CR definitely has some of the most relaxed in bound customs I've ever seen.   It's definitely "we really don't care just come spend some money"

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, midtown said:

I've never been given anything ever for outbound from any country in the last 4 years sans Japan.  CR definitely has some of the most relaxed in bound customs I've ever seen.   It's definitely "we really don't care just come spend some money"

Yeah didn’t mean given on outbound, but many countries expect you to have the other half of that customs form they stamp when you arrive.  That’s what I was wondering about.  

Yeah they don’t give a shit. I’ve never been asked for any form of paperwork or ID there. Occasionally a hotel will ask to see your passport but that’s it. The worst thing that ever happened was when we were bringing in a cooler full of brisket and ribs. The dude took about 3/4 of our food. I guess his family was hungry.

On 6/18/2022 at 9:47 AM, Homercles said:

Yeah didn’t mean given on outbound, but many countries expect you to have the other half of that customs form they stamp when you arrive.  That’s what I was wondering about.  

I went to Mexico City a couple months ago and was given that torn off piece of paper. When I flew out there was no immigration check. Just went through security like any airport in the U.S. without anyone checking my passport. Weird. 

Nayara Springs is absolutely incredible.  I’ve been at Hanging Gardens in Ubud, Four Seasons Denpasar, Leela Palace in Bangalore,   Centara Grand Krabi and a smattering of other wonderful places…but the mix of amenities, service and privacy here has them all beat.  The hot spring plunge pool alone is a differentiator.  Also the wine pairing meal at Nostalgia last night was an amazing experience, even if the food itself wasn’t quite 5*…highly recommended, we’ve done pairings before but it was a rare thing where both the wine and food were much better together.   

Did a private hanging bridge tour today just outside La Fortuna, which was fantastic.  Glad we didn’t do a group because it allowed us to take our time, stop and actually listen carefully, have unfettered access to monoculars / photos, and hear all the interesting details from our guide…many groups we came across never stfu, or stopped every ten minutes, etc.  Took 2.5 hours.  Our guide drove around a little extra so we could finally see a sloth off the side of the road coming back.  

Really enjoying this country so far.  Everyone is polite, they really respect and preserve their environment, take dollars everywhere, and I never feel like I’m constantly being shaken down like touristy places in Mexico.  What a gem.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

El Financiero has a paywall but the headline published 8 July is visible:

Digital Nomads in Costa Rica: The ABCs for Tourists Who Want to Work from There

Foreigners interested in applying for this category can do so once the decree is published in the official government newspaper, La Gaceta. The bylaws were signed on July 4

https://www.elfinancierocr.com/economia-y-politica/digital-nomads-in-costa-rica-the-abcs-for-tourists/2KQST42UFBGULANKL65D6SRZ4A/story/

• 3 weeks later...

Got back in late Monday night and took the puddle jumper from San Jose to Quepos Tuesday morning. Well, that flight got cancelled so they put us on a flight to Puerto Jimenez and from there to Quepos. Turned a 20 minute flight into a 1.5 hour flight but got some good views and flew right over the whale’s tail in Uvita. Weather has been really good. It starts raining about 3 in the afternoon but nothing too bad so far. They had some horrific flooding about 10 days ago.

So far mostly we’ve just been catching up with friends that live here. Went to the Cocal beach that you reach by ferry for the first time the other day with a Tica friend of ours. I would not recommend going over there without a local. Found a cool little bar right on the beach that was basically a tin roof and some stools. Spent another afternoon on the deck at a friends place (see attached ocean view). It’s a modern 3 bedroom on the hill above Quepos. They rent it for 1100 a month. Just wow.

There’s a great new restaurant in the marina. It’s legit Mexican food which I’ve never found here before.

AF6A44CF-571C-4C76-B71A-102040036895.jpeg

CDEB0BD1-A7D7-4B78-B1E7-881662BB6F49.jpeg

CBE4095F-F9E6-4365-804E-6F8D42864472.jpeg

C2A9ADCE-B71B-4AA2-B15D-3B291343D90C.jpeg

10A4F092-3255-4CDC-AE29-62F59D73EB9B.jpeg

C677BD70-2301-4ED5-953C-79A9729AC88B.jpeg

D4D072FE-C9AA-41FF-AC34-18C10BBDAD7C.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Spent the last 2 days just south of Uvita. 2 bedroom condo for 150 a night and all you can eat golf included in the price. Really cool place. Friend owns a coffee plantation about halfway back to Quepos so we are headed there to stay in his cabins this evening.

0F41AF8D-BFDA-4BC8-B33E-285DA10F2ADB.jpeg

84616095-F95B-43A5-8428-6EDC76666C7D.jpeg

F1E87BDA-2841-4167-8F1F-2388DDC214E3.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Anyway while we are waiting on the idiot to answer questions on the other thread.

Plans are in the works for a new international airport at Orotina. I don’t have any inside info on that one but I am guessing it’s because they are out of real estate to expand at SJO.

The marina here in Quepos is finally building a hotel. Much needed.

The most interesting news is an international airport somewhere between Uvita and Drake Bay. If that happens it’s going to open up the entire southern Pacific region to tourism. Their real estate prices already seem high in that area but they might be getting ready to go way up.

Everything here is on Tico time so no telling when any of that might happen.

Is SJO really that jammed up on flights?  I've sat in the AXP club which faces the runway and it doesn't seem like that flights are landing left and right.  Is it gate constrained?

11 hours ago, justhookit said:

Is this just so people who are just there to fish multiple days or for tournaments without having to stay up on the hill?

26 minutes ago, midtown said:

Is SJO really that jammed up on flights?  I've sat in the AXP club which faces the runway and it doesn't seem like that flights are landing left and right.  Is it gate constrained?

Is this just so people who are just there to fish multiple days or for tournaments without having to stay up on the hill?

There’s another expansion under construction at SJO right now but after that yeah it’s a gate issue most likely. There’s just nowhere left to put anything else, much less another runway. And during high season earlier this year I talked to a lot of people that waited over 3 hours in that immigration line.

The marina hotel won’t be that large - the lot they are building on is tiny - so yeah it’ll mostly be for fishing people or other tourists that want to be down here at the marina. Quepos doesn’t have any nice hotels so it will be very successful. We’ve been waiting on this since they built the marina.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:42 AM, justhookit said:

Spent the last 2 days just south of Uvita. 2 bedroom condo for 150 a night and all you can eat golf included in the price. Really cool place. Friend owns a coffee plantation about halfway back to Quepos so we are headed there to stay in his cabins this evening.

In case anyone else was intrigued by all you can golf in Costa Rica like me, I think this is the place he's referring to: https://osagolf.com/stay-and-play/

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

In case anyone else was intrigued by all you can golf in Costa Rica like me, I think this is the place he's referring to: https://osagolf.com/stay-and-play/

Yes, that’s it. It’s a 9 hole course right now. Greens are in great shape but the fairways are a little bare. We played lift and place. Beautiful holes right in the middle of the rain forest. It went into bankruptcy but they had/have plans for 18 holes and a pretty sizable development.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got back in late Monday night and took the puddle jumper from San Jose to Quepos Tuesday morning. Well, that flight got cancelled so they put us on a flight to Puerto Jimenez and from there to Quepos. Turned a 20 minute flight into a 1.5 hour flight but got some good views and flew right over the whale’s tail in Uvita. Weather has been really good. It starts raining about 3 in the afternoon but nothing too bad so far. They had some horrific flooding about 10 days ago.
So far mostly we’ve just been catching up with friends that live here. Went to the Cocal beach that you reach by ferry for the first time the other day with a Tica friend of ours. I would not recommend going over there without a local. Found a cool little bar right on the beach that was basically a tin roof and some stools. Spent another afternoon on the deck at a friends place (see attached ocean view). It’s a modern 3 bedroom on the hill above Quepos. They rent it for 1100 a month. Just wow.
There’s a great new restaurant in the marina. It’s legit Mexican food which I’ve never found here before.
AF6A44CF-571C-4C76-B71A-102040036895.thumb.jpeg.3af770be1d64db80e6ebf0254ee461e4.jpeg
CDEB0BD1-A7D7-4B78-B1E7-881662BB6F49.thumb.jpeg.ea67cd562804f3447cba62c867c11b72.jpeg
CBE4095F-F9E6-4365-804E-6F8D42864472.thumb.jpeg.da70ed497e6f5e5282045d95d14afd76.jpeg
C2A9ADCE-B71B-4AA2-B15D-3B291343D90C.thumb.jpeg.71fb5f4441c9edebf555dbce6c9a411b.jpeg
10A4F092-3255-4CDC-AE29-62F59D73EB9B.thumb.jpeg.b48a7ece54e24ffec63f41ce8cd84d4b.jpeg
C677BD70-2301-4ED5-953C-79A9729AC88B.thumb.jpeg.7716d4b698c91d7069efd96bec364ab3.jpeg
D4D072FE-C9AA-41FF-AC34-18C10BBDAD7C.thumb.jpeg.1c7b44539dde667588636be1e747a9dc.jpeg
I heard Costa Rica has been ruined so you must be making all this up.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:42 AM, justhookit said:

0F41AF8D-BFDA-4BC8-B33E-285DA10F2ADB.jpeg

84616095-F95B-43A5-8428-6EDC76666C7D.jpeg

F1E87BDA-2841-4167-8F1F-2388DDC214E3.jpeg

This is incredible.  Link to condo!?

Edit: Disregard.  Saw the link.  Ban poster.

Edited by ernest_t_bass
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2022 at 12:11 PM, midtown said:

Just look at all those strip malls and fast food joints

Tamarindo and Playa Flamingo the last few days. Tamarindo was iffy at first but growing on me. See the attached pictures from there, might as well have been at a Four Seasons in the states. Looks the same. Loved Flamingo it’s more our laid back speed and great beach.

E9955F7C-1A6D-4EAD-A7BF-0429D531EAC8.jpeg

42FB2F46-0CC8-4EFA-AA3B-DC9440065C96.jpeg

9AB55FA6-74A0-4E98-85C7-1DD2ABA600A0.jpeg

CE3D39D2-BAE0-4159-9415-C7A49C8F5FF1.jpeg

B585DDC4-BF12-4041-B59A-6139D7B1C5A8.jpeg

• Like 1

Flamingo. New marina. Whitish sand beach. It’s drier up here and in Tamarindo (they are about 20 minutes apart) compared to MA and Quepos and points further south and way, way less animal life and fishing not nearly as good. Overall I’ve enjoyed it and would come back but I prefer the central and southern Pacific. 1 more day here and then back to Quepos on Monday.

39879713-1AB6-4C2B-AF2D-4AE4B0EB44DF.jpeg

899974E7-44AF-45CD-920A-0B121B91D3E0.jpeg

DDD66BBB-FA90-4A70-8A67-0D03D4D9FF9C.jpeg

DE03BDD1-5714-47D2-B821-CED34C39D7D8.jpeg

Edited by justhookit

On 8/14/2022 at 11:30 AM, HookEm said:

Love Flamingo Beach and Coco Loco. 

Best banana daiquiri I've ever had was in a bar about 1/4 mile from there.  Incredible and can't be replicated.

Please tell me it wasn’t at Margaritaville 😂. That property was completely out of place.

Flamingo is awesome and likely (unfortunately?) getting ready to explode.

We are back in Quepos now probably for the rest of the trip. Plan on doing some fishing here and golf at Los Suenos once a week for the rest of our time here. Plan is to head home a few days before the Alabama game so we can get to Austin but if the weather stays this good might stay longer.

9D417AA8-E474-46A8-8A40-D879D6053008.jpeg

FE4F81C7-09BC-417E-A9A0-1D4B88884795.jpeg

Anyway while we are waiting on the idiot to answer questions on the other thread.
Plans are in the works for a new international airport at Orotina. I don’t have any inside info on that one but I am guessing it’s because they are out of real estate to expand at SJO.
The most interesting news is an international airport somewhere between Uvita and Drake Bay. If that happens it’s going to open up the entire southern Pacific region to tourism. Their real estate prices already seem high in that area but they might be getting ready to go way up.
Furk I was trying to buy down in the Golfo next year

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
On 8/9/2022 at 9:31 PM, justhookit said:

Furk I was trying to buy down in the Golfo next year

I think you are still ok for now, just buy before that airport happens. I’ve got some friends here that probably know lots more about it and I’ll ask.

• 2 weeks later...

What a gorgeous country. Such a fun time on the west side, we enjoyed Hermosa and Coco, which were less than 20 min from our house. Planned to spend time in Flamingo before we caught our boat, but part of the road underwater and we had to backtrack and go around. Added an hour to our drive. 

Was surprised how smooth everything in Liberia airport was. Less than 90 seconds in immigration and customs. Security was like, 5 minutes. Only negative was lack of kiosks so had to wait in line to get boarding passes.

Great weather, cool nature - beautiful sunsets over Culebra Bay and some great stargazing. We saw bats, blue bees, iguanas, pacas, white faced capuchins, 2 different types of rays and turtles. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ouch. This is going to suck for awhile. I’ll definitely be using the puddle jumper instead of a driver the next few trips down. This will create problems for travel to a lot of places but for the purposes of this thread the main issue will be San Jose to Manuel Antonio will take 6 to 7 hours at least.

https://ticotimes.net/2022/09/26/pananamerican-highway-in-costa-rica-closed-for-at-least-three-months

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, midtown said:

@justhookit

Any update on the Panamerican Hwy issue?  Still fucked until December?  I'm getting an itch to get down there.

Seems to be hit and miss depending on the day and time or of course more rain. Some friends drove it last week and it was fine. I’d fly to be on the safe side.

edit- apparently they never totally shut it down which they probably should have to avoid more problems in the future.

Edited by justhookit

• 1 month later...

Merry Christmas everyone. It’s that time of year again. Who else will be down there this winter? I head down in just under 2 weeks and planning to stay for the full allowed 90 days. So far I’ve got 7 tournaments lined up to fish as an observer  - yes they actually will pay me a small amount to go ride on nice boats and observe a bunch of fish being caught. Will fish some on my own and try to defend our Sailfish Slam tournament win from last year. Golf. Imperials. Warm weather. 
it seems like I’ve got more friends/family coming down this year than any other year I’ve been down there and if that’s any indication it’s going to be busy there.

I can’t wait to get to Quepos/Manuel Antonio. Pura Vida.

A6E391DE-3F73-4F5F-80A6-62A85A739EE4.jpeg

C32F27AF-3251-49E1-B830-020C5C7C4693.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 3

Merry Christmas assholes! 

Quasi-Christmas gift + 20 year anniversary + kids have never traveled outside the states + scheduling around school and sports = August in Costa Rica.

Staying for a week at the JW Marriott south of Tamarindo (cashed in a shit ton of points).

Looking for some fun excursions.  Would prefer private tours / guides as opposed to the congregating with the masses.  We'd love to fish while we're down there once or twice as well.  Any input from @justhookit on potential offshore charters and anyone else on jungle excursions, etc?  We're not much for sitting around, so any info on adventures around that area would be much appreciated.

16 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Merry Christmas assholes! 

Quasi-Christmas gift + 20 year anniversary + kids have never traveled outside the states + scheduling around school and sports = August in Costa Rica.

Staying for a week at the JW Marriott south of Tamarindo (cashed in a shit ton of points).

Looking for some fun excursions.  Would prefer private tours / guides as opposed to the congregating with the masses.  We'd love to fish while we're down there once or twice as well.  Any input from @justhookit on potential offshore charters and anyone else on jungle excursions, etc?  We're not much for sitting around, so any info on adventures around that area would be much appreciated.

If you’ll remind me about the fishing part in a few weeks I will see if I can be any help. Unfortunately I just don’t know that many people fishing  up north and the few that I used to know seem to be staying where I am year-round now. One boat may be up that way and I’ll ask about them otherwise I’ll see if I can get a rec from any of the locals in my area.

The JW should be able to set you up with any and all private tours. My one and only trip to Tamarindo was with people that live in CR full time so none of us were doing the tours. We parked ourselves on the beach and relaxed. I think you will be at or very near Playa Conchal which is a great beach. Playa Flamingo about 30 minutes north of Tamarindo has a marina, a Margaritaville (avoid), and a cool little beach with a fun restaurant/bar right on the water called Coco Loco. That’s all I’ve got.

Attached is our view from literally 50 feet outside our hotel on the beach in Tamarindo, Coco Loco in Flamingo, and a street market that I think is Saturday nights in Tamarindo. Fun stuff and good food.

89172A3B-D2C6-4C97-82A3-6C90CD285D95.jpeg

3E0FA705-F35F-4279-ABC8-EA984FBBBF2C.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics from y'all.  Came here to say I was pleasantly surprised that there are non-stop flights from Austin to Liberia on AA Sun/Tue/Thu and I grabbed one last minute to escape the freeze.  LIR airport was squeaky clean, only has 7 gates but still has a lounge and was super fast.  Not a fan of the driving but oh well.  Beautiful country.  Pura Vida

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I get back down here I like it even more. I got here a little over a week ago and I’ve been going nonstop ever since - mostly fishing. I’m headed a bit up the coast today to Los Suenos for another week of fishing and then after that hoping to slow down , relax, and enjoy this country.

Wearher has been great and I did take the Highway from San Jose to Manuel Antonio. No problems at all other than a quick detour.

F3AFB46E-095D-425E-9B24-3DC2BB9BD08F.jpeg

B63FD4F1-2142-403B-8CC1-7F55070B9313.jpeg

0143EC8B-122D-492B-A739-FADCB1B383B0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

@justhookit ....will be in Los Suenos in 3 weeks fishing with the Maverick folks....you got any can't-miss dinner recs outside of the marina/resort, and more in town?  

All in Jaco - Lemon Zest, Ohana Sushi, Calichi’s Wishbone, Green Room. I’m not big on most sushi but people whose opinion I trust have said Ohana is about the best they have had anywhere in the world. Jaco Bar is also a cool little bar that has really good bar food and more.  As you know the food everywhere at the marina is outstanding too. 

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Looking for a recommendation for a good place to stay for a week this summer with the GF, my teenage daughter, and the GF’s teenage daughter. (No pics, cocksuckers).

I went one time about 10 years ago and stayed at the JW up by Tamarindo.

Open to whatever this time.

Thanks in advance.

On 2/28/2023 at 1:07 PM, tbone_ said:

Looking for a recommendation for a good place to stay for a week this summer with the GF, my teenage daughter, and the GF’s teenage daughter. (No pics, cocksuckers).

I went one time about 10 years ago and stayed at the JW up by Tamarindo.

Open to whatever this time.

Thanks in advance.

Lots of good info on this thread.

I like the central and southern coast better - Manuel Antonio, Dominical, Uvita but the weather is a little more iffy in the summer. Tamarindo obviously has a lot to do for the teenagers and if you like that area Flamingo is nearby and has a new marina so it’s growing. It’s also very close to Playa Conchal which is one of the nicest beaches in all of CR. South of Tamarindo are some cool smaller beach towns - Samara and Nosara in particular.

• 3 weeks later...

Headed south mañana for wife's annual corporate retreat, staying at the JW Guanacaste. Really want to do some offshore fishing on Friday, but we'll see what excursions they offer. Probably spend most of the weekend just getting drunk at the resort, but hopefully we can pop over to Tamarindo for a bit. Also praying I can watch Xavier-UT without too much trouble...

7 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Headed south mañana for wife's annual corporate retreat, staying at the JW Guanacaste. Really want to do some offshore fishing on Friday, but we'll see what excursions they offer. Probably spend most of the weekend just getting drunk at the resort, but hopefully we can pop over to Tamarindo for a bit. Also praying I can watch Xavier-UT without too much trouble...

I’ve been using Sling down here for games but you need to run a VPN with it. YouTubeTV doesn’t seem to work at all even with the VPN. The tournament app MM Live works but I can’t remember if I had the VPN on for it or not.

Anyway I’d guess the JW will have the game. Have a good trip.