Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

Spoiler
Who do you think will eventually win out the starting qb job and why?

I really don't have a firm stance here right now. And, to be honest with you, I don't think Jimbo or Darrell Dickey do either. This was a very competitive battle coming out of spring, and there are so many dynamics at work that it could be even MORE competitive come August.

First off, far too many of you are basing your thoughts on this thing on what you saw during the spring game. Bad approach. Terrible approach, actually. It was one practice out of fifteen and one scrimmage, and quite frankly, none of the three QBs excelled throwing the football on that windy (as hell) day.

I'll say something about each guy and move on for now:

Haynes King? He is someone the head coach and the players were 'all in' on entering last season and again when he was carving up the defense during bowl practices. He's still that guy. He's also that guy who is now staring down much better competition. One of those dudes is Max Johnson.

Max? Had a very good spring, which is exactly what Jimbo expected. A&M game aside (still not happy about that one), Fisher knew that the LSU offensive scheme and coaching were a complete train wreck in Johnson's two seasons on the Bayou, and he also knew Max had no running game and was without his best WR. Max is an NFL-level passer and is a much better athlete than folks give him credit for, something he showed in Aggieland from day one.

Weigman? As talented a true freshman QB as I've seen arrive at A&M since probably Reggie (Johnny was incredible, but I wouldn't have said as much following his first spring on campus). Like Manziel, Weigman has superstar potential as a QB and playmaker.

I still think Haynes or Max ultimately get the QB1 call entering the season, but this is truly a three-man competition.

Can we expect a busy summer of football commitments?

I actually think the month of June will be a little busier than most expect. There is a lot of “beneath-the-surface” activity, similar to last year when I predicted the high-magnitude earthquake for the Maroon & White. Jimbo and the Ags are about to upset some folks around the country once again with their early-summer recruiting wins.

Your best guess at our starting 5 defensive backs? Really interested to see who ends up starting at corner as we essentially have 3 starters all back.

If I'm taking just a guess today I'd say Jaylon Jones, Tyreek Chappell, Antonio Johnson and Demani Richardson, with the nickel being up for grabs. But there's a world in which I could see Denver Harris grab a starting job at corner fairly quickly and one of the starters playing at nickel. I think Myles Jones is a guy we don't talk about enough, and he's going to play a LOT this fall. As will Jardin Gilbert and Bryce Anderson.

For your summer concert series, your thoughts on the ACL lineup that was just released?

Good question. Listen, I'm not a big P!nk promoter, but I randomly decided with a dinner date to go see her on like a Monday night at the last minute a couple of years ago. She put on a badass show. Red Hot Chili Peppers by themselves are going to make me want to attend as they're probably my favorite group if we're talking over the last 25 years or so.

TBH, there ain't much else in there that makes me say, "I HAVE to go see them!" I'd have to look again, but it feels kind of light behind Chili. Any suggestions on a couple of groups on that list I need to listen to?

Do you think Micah Dallas' issues are just between the ears?

Yeah, I do. I think he's going to return to form. He wasn't an All-SEC type of pitcher earlier this season, but he was very effective. If the Ags can get him back to that, they'll be a real threat to go to Omaha. Look, I think Micah is going to be called upon in the postseason in either multiple key moments in relief and probably even as a starter. The Ags are going to need him and more than a couple of other guys to step up on the bump at the right time in order to get past their own regional and then the supers. The good news is we've seen it from Dallas, and there are several dudes who have shown flashes of really being effective in a spot or even a start.

I’m starting to get the feeling that Jim Schlossnagle and Nate Yeskie will work some magic, and it might be someone different at several steps along the way.

Go to breakfast drive-thru and order in town when you're in a rush

Drive-thru? Shit, I'm an Egg McMuffin and a coffee guy, but I also love the Chick-fil-A egg white grill but go with the fried chicken breast. It just goes great with the egg white and the English muffin. Costa Vida breakfast tacos are excellent, and there's a spot I pick up on Wellborn called Polly's that is great too.

More hair product?
Nuno
Jimmy Johnson

Definitely Jimmy Johnson. Nuño probably doesn't use a whole lot. Contrary to what “Big Shooter” or “Zipshit” has to say, Slow Break Dave has great, natural hair.

Will it take the offensive line several games to Gel or are they experienced enough to Gel fast?

I think they're experienced enough with three returning starters and possibly a fourth who has started several games (Akinola Ogunbiyi) to gel very quickly under Steve Addazio. It will be interesting to see which unit rounds into the form the most quickly, the OL or DL. That D-line is so incredibly loaded with talent, but it's young (still have a trio of third-year guys plus two second-year five stars, mind you). That said, I think the OL hits its stride very early.

Do you think other SEC teams have staffers scrolling this board and others to read practice/random updates to try to get additional intel on their opponents?

Yes, they absolutely do. However, it's my experience that that is much more prevalent when it comes to sneaking around the various sites in search of recruiting information.

Two questions:
The safe bet mid to long term has to be starting Weigman yr 1, right?

Torchy's Tacos or Fuzzy's Tacos?

It may end up being that way but on one condition: He's got to clearly outperform the two veterans. This is a team that is built to win in many other spots and to win big now (as in this season), and if the Aggies can do that, Jimbo & Co. will stack back-to-back classes that are every bit as elite as Alabama and Georgia. By the 2023 season, A&M will have as loaded a roster, top-to-bottom as anyone in the sport. Fisher knows that the best is yet to come for his program — namely in '23 and the ensuing stretch — but the fact is making the right QB choice for THIS season and the result being strong play at the position could very well result in the Aggies making a real run at an SEC title and playoff now.

Torchy's. I tend to forget we even have a Fuzzy's because the location is so bad (would've been the perfect spot back in 1997 or so). I have heard that Rosa's breakfast (particularly the migas) is outstanding, however. Need to try it, but College Station now has so many good sit-down breakfast spots that I tend to get sidetracked on the random days that I decide to take the ride over there.

Who do we sign at RB and WR in this class?

Running back is tough, but the Ags have an excellent shot at their top two targets — El Campo's Rueben Owens‍ and Edgewater (FL) standout Cedric Baxter Jr.‍ (he's visiting in June and has had A&M at or near the top since the start of his recruitment). Another interesting prospect is San Diego Lincoln's Roderick Robinson‍, a 220-pounder who was offered this week by Georgia and whose stock is soaring. There's a connection there in that he and his father were big Florida State fans when Jimbo led the Seminoles to the national title, and Robinson is also coached by former A&M standout Jason Carter. I feel very good about the Ags signing one of these three. I think the actual need is two backs in this cycle, so we'll see if Fisher and Tommie Robinson can pull that off.

At WR, the in-state guys getting the big push are obvious: Longview's Jalen Hale‍ and Johntay Cook‍ of DeSoto. But the Ags have as good a shot to sign Fort Lauderdale (FL) star Hykeem Williams‍ as they do any of their OOS targets. He's a borderline five-star and a guy that the A&M staff is very familiar with. A second receiver from the Sunshine State who the Aggies consider a “screaming” take is three-star and former Miami commit Andy Jean‍. I think it's safe to say landing two of these four is the goal, and I would expect A&M to try and sign three overall at the position.

Some predict our defensive line may be better than last years. What do you think?

See a few questions below. It has a chance by mid-season or during the November home stretch. Interesting to see how quickly they hit a stride of playing great football because, despite losing four starters, there IS some experience in the group, but it's probably more 'they're loaded with future NFL players' depth and elite talent than anything else as we enter the season. Exceptional talent mixed with about four dudes who have played, and it shouldn't take long for the A&M front four to be as good as anyone in the league (save maybe veteran UGA and Alabama groups). In 2023 and' '24, I think we'll be talking about the A&M defensive line being the best in college football.

I've always enjoyed your stories about living with and hanging out with A&M football players when you were in school. It also brings a lot of fun to TexAgs radio, as it's easy to see the friendship y'all have. My question is how did you end up rooming with those guys? I don't think I've ever heard how that came about.

Long story made short, I met Hunter through a neighbor/lifelong friend who lived with Amber at the time those two started dating. I was already living with a couple of Hunter's teammates at that time (Ryan Kern and the late Trasen Maresh). We all just kind of started hanging out, and from there, the fellas on those teams were I guess you could say my fraternity, and are still my brothers to this day. We basically were three or four to an apartment or house from about 1995 on, and the list of roommates is pretty funny if you ever put it down in writing. Somehow, I also managed to weave in about a half dozen of my best friends from high school, as well. Some very entertaining stories to be told, for sure.

Also, who do you think starts game one at both DE spots and who ends the season at the DE spots? Thanks and Gig 'Em!

I think in game one, you're talking Fadil Diggs and Tunmise Adeleye. I think several of those guys will play, but if there's one name I could see forcing his way into the starting 11 fastest, it might be Shemar Stewart. I know Walter Nolen's talent level sits at about 100, and he's going to be a game-changer inside. Still, Stewart is an absolutely ridiculous prospect.

When do you expect the final decision to be made on the conference alignment going forward (i.e., fixed opponents vs pods)?

Probably within the next couple of weeks. As I've said several times now, I do NOT expect a pod format. I've heard that the most likely scenarios are either an eight or nine-game scheduling format. If it's eight SEC games per team, you're looking at one permanent rival and then seven rotating opponents. In both formats, every team would play every SEC foe in a two-year span, and in four years, every team (and in theory player) would see every SEC venue.

Great for the players and fans, but what about rivalries? That's where the nine-game league schedule comes in and why it's my favorite.

Three 'permanent' opponents that each team would see every year and then the other twelve teams in the league appear on your schedule in alternating seasons, six one and the other six the following fall.

In a nine-game schedule, A&M and Texas would 100 percent square off every single season, as the Ags' permanent opponents would likely be Texas, LSU and probably one of the Mississippi schools.

If the conference votes in favor of an eight-game schedule, however, it's my understanding that the Aggies and Longhorns would NOT play every year but rather every other season. Why? Because, wait for it, the Texas-Oklahoma Red River Rivalry in Dallas would be the one annual face-off for the Big 12 partners arriving together in 2025.

So much for the Longhorn narrative saying it's Texas A&M that would stand in the way of an annual game being played.

Based on what I'm hearing, there is still a very slight lean within the conference for an eight-game schedule, but multiple sources I've talked to believe a nine-game schedule will eventually win out. By eventually, I mean in fairly short order because, as I said, I'm expecting this to be all sorted out in a matter of weeks.

If you're wondering, Texas A&M is in favor of the nine conference game format.

Favorite player on this baseball team. Alright, you can pick two.

Sheesh, that's a really tough one. I'm a big fan of Jack Moss because he's a guy who hits and plays first base like I wished I could growing up! Dylan Rock would be the other name on that list. Dude is just nails and plays baseball like he's a damn middle linebacker.

I'd really like to get Holstein back in the fold but it just doesn't feel likely. What are our chances here?

Zero. I think the Ags have moved on from Eli Holstein‍ and are looking elsewhere. That recruitment will be an interesting one to follow from wire to wire.

I heard this year's DL is going to be downright nasty. You hearing the same?

It has a chance to be. Fadil Diggs and Tunmise Adeleye both looked VERY good this spring, and folks forget how talented McKinnley Jackson and Shemar Turner are on the inside. Isaiah Raikes is slept on by most outside of the Bright Complex, and the true freshman class is so deep with incredible talent that I'd set the over/under at 2.5 when it comes to dudes who will be ready to make a legitimate year one impact (plus another couple who will be good enough as true fish to provide in-game depth).

% chances we finish with the #1 class again?

Next to zero. Some dumbasses in the national media will take the bait and fall for the "A&M couldn't pay $30 million again" narrative to ensue, but the simple fact is the Aggies won't sign nearly enough players this cycle to land a class that competes for No. 1.

What they will do is ink another group of ELITE prospects, land comfortably inside the top-10 (and probably higher) and rank even higher in the 'average star ranking' department. It's going to be another exceptional class, loaded with game-changers on both sides of the ball.

Prediction as of today on who is starting at QB against Sam Houston?

If I HAD to pick today, I'd say Haynes King, but I think the battle for game-one starter is essentially a coin flip at this point. Max Johnson is going to make this battle as good as any since Jimbo has arrived at A&M.

Favorite 2023 prospect on the national stage that you think we have a better than even shot at bringing in the fold?

Florida RB Cedric Baxter Jr.‍ and five-star CB Tony Mitchell‍.

Who is the recruit you want most in this year's class???

In order, Anthony Hill‍, Tony Mitchell‍, Rueben Owens‍/Cedric Baxter Jr.‍, David Hicks‍.

Are conference baseball tournaments among the dumbest things going right now?

Football - Big moneymaker for conference.
Bssketball - Decent money maker.
Baseball - 18+ innings of wasted pitches for no damn reason.

I don't think you're wrong.

The on-again, off-again NCAA is saying they are going to enforce NIL now. Do you have any concerns A&M has done anything the NCAA won't like?

No, and I also don't think the NCAA is going to do a thing to police NIL because everything is so different from state to state, among other reasons. Now I do think they'll try to implement some regulations, but we'll see.

What scheduling format would you initially favor for a 16-team SEC and why?

Three permanent rivals and rotate the other 12, six each year, for a nine-game conference schedule.

There seemed to be a fair amount of caution from you on the radio recently with regards to the upcoming season although I could have misinterpreted your outlook. Shouldn't we be at a point that we have expectations of 2 losses or less?

Possibly. If not this year, then next. So much of that is going to depend on a first-year starter at QB.

Our depth and talent are at an all-time high. At what point is it ok for us to set our sights on the ultimate prize and expect as much?

Next year ('23) and beyond, but it's possible this year. It's also fair to set your sights set on a New Year's Six bowl, IMO.

Predicted record in FB this fall?

11-2 with an NY6 bowl win.

Are there any new developments in the possibility of the Ags bringing depth at OT or LB through the transfer portal this summer or has that ship sailed?

No developments that I'm aware of.

I feel like the San Antonio and surrounding areas aren't really recruited hard. Any reason for this? Also, do you see the Aggies jumping in on Anthony Evans‍ out of Converse Judson? They seem to have good luck at that school.

Love the fact that they offered the speedster this week. He's got big-play potential and big-league, SEC jets. Good offer.

You can bring back one of these players to re-join the team and play the upcoming season with our current roster (as their prime college versions), who is it?

Mike Evans
Myles Garrett
Luke Joeckel

So unbelievably tough because of what Joeckel would do for the OL and Evans on the outside. It's one of those two. I actually think I'd go with Mike, but it's CLOSE.

How do you really feel about Bobby Burton?

Honestly, he's not someone I think about except for the day or two when one of his stories makes the rounds like it did a couple of weeks ago.

Howdy Looch!! Thanks for all of your in-depth and thorough work You do for all of TexAgs!

Appreciate it brother!

Any information on the status of the injured spring Aggies?

Marquis Groves-Killebrew is essentially a redshirt for this season. Gabe Brownlow-Dindy is on schedule, and it sure looks like he'll be ready fairly early in the season. He's progressing very nicely per all accounts. Need to check on Bobby Taylor (knee) and Jarred Kerr (back).

When will the rest of the 2022 class be on campus?

In roughly two weeks. Jimbo is beyond fired up, in case you're wondering.

You may have addressed, but I have not seen it. The drivel from Bobby Burton and his ilk, insinuating the Aggies use the NIL to pay recruits, any further thoughts? It's almost like they are just throwing stuff out there just to wreck some havoc. Or they are praying the NCAA finds anything. Thoughts?

I'll have more on in a write up I plan to do on my trip, but they're just SPRINTING with what they hear and the rumors out there. They are hoping something sticks and the Aggies face some sort of discipline for what these hacks are convinced they've done (which is pay recruits and lock in deals before they sign). These folks are being fed information from their sources at the schools they cover and seem to lose sight of the fact that Texas A&M signed a LOT of guys who were courted heavily by places like Texas, Alabama and others.

Do they really think these kids don't talk about what they're being offered at other places? Do they think Jimbo and the A&M staff aren't privy to that information? Something about glass houses, which Nick Saban should consider since the Tide actively tried to poach at least one — if not two — prominent current A&M players during the offseason.

Bigger impact on the next class: Revealing of the facility upgrades, or the fact that the previous class was #1? (Iron sharpens iron, practicing against the best and playing alongside them)

A combination, but I think the whole No. 1 class thing and beating Alabama has the guys in the Class of '23 believing they'll come to Texas A&M and win a title.

How many true fish will be starting this year by game 3?
Over/under 3.5

By game three, I think we'd be looking at possibly Jake Johnson, Evan Stewart and perhaps a DL and a DB. So I'm going to go under in game three, and by mid-season, I could see as many as five starting.

you comin to my grad party?

When is it, Coop?

If the SEC goes to three permanent opponents, not pods, who would you want? Also, I would prefer to alternate the other six EVERY year. You can still go to every school every four years, but less chance of missing a great player or team. Your thoughts?

See above. I'd like LSU and Texas and think it would be LSU, Texas and Mississippi State.

How would you describe the culture of this 2022 football team so far?

Based on what I'm hearing at roughly the midway point (summer offseason still to go), I'm pretty confident that this is a tight-knit team that is taking on a bit of an 'us against the doubters' mentality. Very confident group. Will still need to see who emerges as the true leaders as the season draws near. Guys like Demani, Ainias, the QB position, Jaylon Jones and Fadil Diggs come immediately to mind.

Which Aggie has the best rookie season in the NFL?

I'm going with Kenyon Green. With Micheal Clemons coming in at a close second in New York.

You the man Liucci!

Gracias my friend!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

I really don't have a firm stance here right now. And, to be honest with you, I don't think Jimbo or Darrell Dickey do either. This was a very competitive battle coming out of spring, and there are so many dynamics at work that it could be even MORE competitive come August.

First off, far too many of you are basing your thoughts on this thing on what you saw during the spring game. Bad approach. Terrible approach, actually. It was one practice out of fifteen and one scrimmage, and quite frankly, none of the three QBs excelled throwing the football on that windy (as hell) day.

Haynes King? He is someone the head coach and the players were 'all in' on entering last season and again when he was carving up the defense during bowl practices. He's still that guy. He's also that guy who is now staring down much better competition. One of those dudes is Max Johnson.

Max? Had a very good spring, which is exactly what Jimbo expected. A&M game aside (still not happy about that one), Fisher knew that the LSU offensive scheme and coaching were a complete train wreck in Johnson's two seasons on the Bayou, and he also knew Max had no running game and was without his best WR. Max is an NFL-level passer and is a much better athlete than folks give him credit for, something he showed in Aggieland from day one.

Weigman? As talented a true freshman QB as I've seen arrive at A&M since probably Reggie (Johnny was incredible, but I wouldn't have said as much following his first spring on campus). Like Manziel, Weigman has superstar potential as a QB and playmaker.

I still think Haynes or Max ultimately get the QB1 call entering the season, but this is truly a three-man competition.

I actually think the month of June will be a little busier than most expect. There is a lot of “beneath-the-surface” activity, similar to last year when I predicted the high-magnitude earthquake for the Maroon & White. Jimbo and the Ags are about to upset some folks around the country once again with their early-summer recruiting wins.

Your best guess at our starting 5 defensive backs? Really interested to see who ends up starting at corner as we essentially have 3 starters all back.

If I'm taking just a guess today I'd say Jaylon Jones, Tyreek Chappell, Antonio Johnson and Demani Richardson, with the nickel being up for grabs. But there's a world in which I could see Denver Harris grab a starting job at corner fairly quickly and one of the starters playing at nickel. I think Myles Jones is a guy we don't talk about enough, and he's going to play a LOT this fall. As will Jardin Gilbert and Bryce Anderson.

For your summer concert series, your thoughts on the ACL lineup that was just released?

Good question. Listen, I'm not a big P!nk promoter, but I randomly decided with a dinner date to go see her on like a Monday night at the last minute a couple of years ago. She put on a badass show. Red Hot Chili Peppers by themselves are going to make me want to attend as they're probably my favorite group if we're talking over the last 25 years or so.

TBH, there ain't much else in there that makes me say, "I HAVE to go see them!" I'd have to look again, but it feels kind of light behind Chili. Any suggestions on a couple of groups on that list I need to listen to?

Yeah, I do. I think he's going to return to form. He wasn't an All-SEC type of pitcher earlier this season, but he was very effective. If the Ags can get him back to that, they'll be a real threat to go to Omaha. Look, I think Micah is going to be called upon in the postseason in either multiple key moments in relief and probably even as a starter. The Ags are going to need him and more than a couple of other guys to step up on the bump at the right time in order to get past their own regional and then the supers. The good news is we've seen it from Dallas, and there are several dudes who have shown flashes of really being effective in a spot or even a start.

I’m starting to get the feeling that Jim Schlossnagle and Nate Yeskie will work some magic, and it might be someone different at several steps along the way.

Drive-thru? Shit, I'm an Egg McMuffin and a coffee guy, but I also love the Chick-fil-A egg white grill but go with the fried chicken breast. It just goes great with the egg white and the English muffin. Costa Vida breakfast tacos are excellent, and there's a spot I pick up on Wellborn called Polly's that is great too.

More hair product?
Nuno
Jimmy Johnson

Definitely Jimmy Johnson. Nuño probably doesn't use a whole lot. Contrary to what “Big Shooter” or “Zipshit” has to say, Slow Break Dave has great, natural hair.

Will it take the offensive line several games to Gel or are they experienced enough to Gel fast?

I think they're experienced enough with three returning starters and possibly a fourth who has started several games (Akinola Ogunbiyi) to gel very quickly under Steve Addazio. It will be interesting to see which unit rounds into the form the most quickly, the OL or DL. That D-line is so incredibly loaded with talent, but it's young (still have a trio of third-year guys plus two second-year five stars, mind you). That said, I think the OL hits its stride very early.

Do you think other SEC teams have staffers scrolling this board and others to read practice/random updates to try to get additional intel on their opponents?

Yes, they absolutely do. However, it's my experience that that is much more prevalent when it comes to sneaking around the various sites in search of recruiting information.

Two questions:

It may end up being that way but on one condition: He's got to clearly outperform the two veterans. This is a team that is built to win in many other spots and to win big now (as in this season), and if the Aggies can do that, Jimbo & Co. will stack back-to-back classes that are every bit as elite as Alabama and Georgia. By the 2023 season, A&M will have as loaded a roster, top-to-bottom as anyone in the sport. Fisher knows that the best is yet to come for his program — namely in '23 and the ensuing stretch — but the fact is making the right QB choice for THIS season and the result being strong play at the position could very well result in the Aggies making a real run at an SEC title and playoff now.

Torchy's. I tend to forget we even have a Fuzzy's because the location is so bad (would've been the perfect spot back in 1997 or so). I have heard that Rosa's breakfast (particularly the migas) is outstanding, however. Need to try it, but College Station now has so many good sit-down breakfast spots that I tend to get sidetracked on the random days that I decide to take the ride over there.

Running back is tough, but the Ags have an excellent shot at their top two targets — El Campo's Rueben Owens‍ and Edgewater (FL) standout Cedric Baxter Jr.‍ (he's visiting in June and has had A&M at or near the top since the start of his recruitment). Another interesting prospect is San Diego Lincoln's Roderick Robinson‍, a 220-pounder who was offered this week by Georgia and whose stock is soaring. There's a connection there in that he and his father were big Florida State fans when Jimbo led the Seminoles to the national title, and Robinson is also coached by former A&M standout Jason Carter. I feel very good about the Ags signing one of these three. I think the actual need is two backs in this cycle, so we'll see if Fisher and Tommie Robinson can pull that off.

At WR, the in-state guys getting the big push are obvious: Longview's Jalen Hale‍ and Johntay Cook‍ of DeSoto. But the Ags have as good a shot to sign Fort Lauderdale (FL) star Hykeem Williams‍ as they do any of their OOS targets. He's a borderline five-star and a guy that the A&M staff is very familiar with. A second receiver from the Sunshine State who the Aggies consider a “screaming” take is three-star and former Miami commit Andy Jean‍. I think it's safe to say landing two of these four is the goal, and I would expect A&M to try and sign three overall at the position.

Some predict our defensive line may be better than last years. What do you think?

See a few questions below. It has a chance by mid-season or during the November home stretch. Interesting to see how quickly they hit a stride of playing great football because, despite losing four starters, there IS some experience in the group, but it's probably more 'they're loaded with future NFL players' depth and elite talent than anything else as we enter the season. Exceptional talent mixed with about four dudes who have played, and it shouldn't take long for the A&M front four to be as good as anyone in the league (save maybe veteran UGA and Alabama groups). In 2023 and' '24, I think we'll be talking about the A&M defensive line being the best in college football.

I've always enjoyed your stories about living with and hanging out with A&M football players when you were in school. It also brings a lot of fun to TexAgs radio, as it's easy to see the friendship y'all have. My question is how did you end up rooming with those guys? I don't think I've ever heard how that came about.

Long story made short, I met Hunter through a neighbor/lifelong friend who lived with Amber at the time those two started dating. I was already living with a couple of Hunter's teammates at that time (Ryan Kern and the late Trasen Maresh). We all just kind of started hanging out, and from there, the fellas on those teams were I guess you could say my fraternity, and are still my brothers to this day. We basically were three or four to an apartment or house from about 1995 on, and the list of roommates is pretty funny if you ever put it down in writing. Somehow, I also managed to weave in about a half dozen of my best friends from high school, as well. Some very entertaining stories to be told, for sure.

Also, who do you think starts game one at both DE spots and who ends the season at the DE spots? Thanks and Gig 'Em!

I think in game one, you're talking Fadil Diggs and Tunmise Adeleye. I think several of those guys will play, but if there's one name I could see forcing his way into the starting 11 fastest, it might be Shemar Stewart. I know Walter Nolen's talent level sits at about 100, and he's going to be a game-changer inside. Still, Stewart is an absolutely ridiculous prospect.

When do you expect the final decision to be made on the conference alignment going forward (i.e., fixed opponents vs pods)?

Probably within the next couple of weeks. As I've said several times now, I do NOT expect a pod format. I've heard that the most likely scenarios are either an eight or nine-game scheduling format. If it's eight SEC games per team, you're looking at one permanent rival and then seven rotating opponents. In both formats, every team would play every SEC foe in a two-year span, and in four years, every team (and in theory player) would see every SEC venue.

Great for the players and fans, but what about rivalries? That's where the nine-game league schedule comes in and why it's my favorite.

Three 'permanent' opponents that each team would see every year and then the other twelve teams in the league appear on your schedule in alternating seasons, six one and the other six the following fall.

In a nine-game schedule, A&M and Texas would 100 percent square off every single season, as the Ags' permanent opponents would likely be Texas, LSU and probably one of the Mississippi schools.

If the conference votes in favor of an eight-game schedule, however, it's my understanding that the Aggies and Longhorns would NOT play every year but rather every other season. Why? Because, wait for it, the Texas-Oklahoma Red River Rivalry in Dallas would be the one annual face-off for the Big 12 partners arriving together in 2025.

So much for the Longhorn narrative saying it's Texas A&M that would stand in the way of an annual game being played.

Based on what I'm hearing, there is still a very slight lean within the conference for an eight-game schedule, but multiple sources I've talked to believe a nine-game schedule will eventually win out. By eventually, I mean in fairly short order because, as I said, I'm expecting this to be all sorted out in a matter of weeks.

Sheesh, that's a really tough one. I'm a big fan of Jack Moss because he's a guy who hits and plays first base like I wished I could growing up! Dylan Rock would be the other name on that list. Dude is just nails and plays baseball like he's a damn middle linebacker.

I'd really like to get Holstein back in the fold but it just doesn't feel likely. What are our chances here?

Zero. I think the Ags have moved on from Eli Holstein‍ and are looking elsewhere. That recruitment will be an interesting one to follow from wire to wire.

It has a chance to be. Fadil Diggs and Tunmise Adeleye both looked VERY good this spring, and folks forget how talented McKinnley Jackson and Shemar Turner are on the inside. Isaiah Raikes is slept on by most outside of the Bright Complex, and the true freshman class is so deep with incredible talent that I'd set the over/under at 2.5 when it comes to dudes who will be ready to make a legitimate year one impact (plus another couple who will be good enough as true fish to provide in-game depth).

Next to zero. Some dumbasses in the national media will take the bait and fall for the "A&M couldn't pay $30 million again" narrative to ensue, but the simple fact is the Aggies won't sign nearly enough players this cycle to land a class that competes for No. 1.

What they will do is ink another group of ELITE prospects, land comfortably inside the top-10 (and probably higher) and rank even higher in the 'average star ranking' department. It's going to be another exceptional class, loaded with game-changers on both sides of the ball.

If I HAD to pick today, I'd say Haynes King, but I think the battle for game-one starter is essentially a coin flip at this point. Max Johnson is going to make this battle as good as any since Jimbo has arrived at A&M.

Favorite 2023 prospect on the national stage that you think we have a better than even shot at bringing in the fold?

In order, Anthony Hill‍, Tony Mitchell‍, Rueben Owens‍/Cedric Baxter Jr.‍, David Hicks‍.

The on-again, off-again NCAA is saying they are going to enforce NIL now. Do you have any concerns A&M has done anything the NCAA won't like?

No, and I also don't think the NCAA is going to do a thing to police NIL because everything is so different from state to state, among other reasons. Now I do think they'll try to implement some regulations, but we'll see.

Three permanent rivals and rotate the other 12, six each year, for a nine-game conference schedule.

There seemed to be a fair amount of caution from you on the radio recently with regards to the upcoming season although I could have misinterpreted your outlook. Shouldn't we be at a point that we have expectations of 2 losses or less?

Possibly. If not this year, then next. So much of that is going to depend on a first-year starter at QB.

Our depth and talent are at an all-time high. At what point is it ok for us to set our sights on the ultimate prize and expect as much?

Next year ('23) and beyond, but it's possible this year. It's also fair to set your sights set on a New Year's Six bowl, IMO.

Are there any new developments in the possibility of the Ags bringing depth at OT or LB through the transfer portal this summer or has that ship sailed?

I feel like the San Antonio and surrounding areas aren't really recruited hard. Any reason for this? Also, do you see the Aggies jumping in on Anthony Evans‍ out of Converse Judson? They seem to have good luck at that school.

Love the fact that they offered the speedster this week. He's got big-play potential and big-league, SEC jets. Good offer.

You can bring back one of these players to re-join the team and play the upcoming season with our current roster (as their prime college versions), who is it?

Mike Evans
Myles Garrett
Luke Joeckel

So unbelievably tough because of what Joeckel would do for the OL and Evans on the outside. It's one of those two. I actually think I'd go with Mike, but it's CLOSE.

Honestly, he's not someone I think about except for the day or two when one of his stories makes the rounds like it did a couple of weeks ago.

Howdy Looch!! Thanks for all of your in-depth and thorough work You do for all of TexAgs!

Appreciate it brother!

Marquis Groves-Killebrew is essentially a redshirt for this season. Gabe Brownlow-Dindy is on schedule, and it sure looks like he'll be ready fairly early in the season. He's progressing very nicely per all accounts. Need to check on Bobby Taylor (knee) and Jarred Kerr (back).

You may have addressed, but I have not seen it. The drivel from Bobby Burton and his ilk, insinuating the Aggies use the NIL to pay recruits, any further thoughts? It's almost like they are just throwing stuff out there just to wreck some havoc. Or they are praying the NCAA finds anything. Thoughts?

I'll have more on in a write up I plan to do on my trip, but they're just SPRINTING with what they hear and the rumors out there. They are hoping something sticks and the Aggies face some sort of discipline for what these hacks are convinced they've done (which is pay recruits and lock in deals before they sign). These folks are being fed information from their sources at the schools they cover and seem to lose sight of the fact that Texas A&M signed a LOT of guys who were courted heavily by places like Texas, Alabama and others.

Do they really think these kids don't talk about what they're being offered at other places? Do they think Jimbo and the A&M staff aren't privy to that information? Something about glass houses, which Nick Saban should consider since the Tide actively tried to poach at least one — if not two — prominent current A&M players during the offseason.

Bigger impact on the next class: Revealing of the facility upgrades, or the fact that the previous class was #1? (Iron sharpens iron, practicing against the best and playing alongside them)

A combination, but I think the whole No. 1 class thing and beating Alabama has the guys in the Class of '23 believing they'll come to Texas A&M and win a title.

Over/under 3.5

By game three, I think we'd be looking at possibly Jake Johnson, Evan Stewart and perhaps a DL and a DB. So I'm going to go under in game three, and by mid-season, I could see as many as five starting.

When is it, Coop?

If the SEC goes to three permanent opponents, not pods, who would you want? Also, I would prefer to alternate the other six EVERY year. You can still go to every school every four years, but less chance of missing a great player or team. Your thoughts?

See above. I'd like LSU and Texas and think it would be LSU, Texas and Mississippi State.

Based on what I'm hearing at roughly the midway point (summer offseason still to go), I'm pretty confident that this is a tight-knit team that is taking on a bit of an 'us against the doubters' mentality. Very confident group. Will still need to see who emerges as the true leaders as the season draws near. Guys like Demani, Ainias, the QB position, Jaylon Jones and Fadil Diggs come immediately to mind.

I'm going with Kenyon Green. With Micheal Clemons coming in at a close second in New York.

You the man Liucci!

Gracias my friend!

disco laughing GIF

and fuck Jimbo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

Yea that’s pretty standard. He likely makes those questions up for whatever agenda he wants to push. 

Looch to some poor admin making $8/hr: Somebody set up a Q&A because Bobby burton is pissing me off, not that I ever think about that t-sip twat. Oh and make sure every 3rd or 4th question is a statement about how fucking cool I am. Don’t forget to pick a few questions where I explain that those t-sippers are dodging us because the red river rivalry sells out every year and makes a fuck ton of money. Pussies. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2022 at 1:22 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy will go 8-4/7-5 this year.  They'll also still get a top 5 class with Looch and everybody proclaiming the greatness of Jimbo and how "Next year is the year".

They will also lose 10 from their best class of all time to the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when a 5-Star QB from MLK High School in Detroit, Michigan rolls into College Station.

Dude's gonna be like "What in the fuck is this place?".

It'll be Dante's 9 Circles of Hell when he gets to Soviet Station.

Illustration to the Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (Abyss of Hell), 1480-1490

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when a 5-Star QB from MLK High School in Detroit, Michigan rolls into College Station.

White, the DE from PA that they signed this round, was flown down on a private jet for his unofficial. He's lived in abject poverty for most of his life. They offered him and his handler more money than he'd ever heard of somebody having. I am fairly certain that Jimbo and company know how to handle black recruits from crumbling neighborhoods in northern US cities. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

White, the DE from PA that they signed this round, was flown down on a private jet for his unofficial. He's lived in abject poverty for most of his life. They offered him and his handler more money than he'd ever heard of somebody having. I am fairly certain that Jimbo and company know how to handle black recruits from crumbling neighborhoods in northern US cities. 

One thing that has bothered me over the last couple of years is recruits not being able to make it to UOV to us due to transportation or whatever. Yeah it only happens a few times a cycle but it should never happen IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/20/2022 at 9:28 PM, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

More hair product?
Nuno
Jimmy Johnson

Two questions:

Mike Evans
Myles Garrett
Luke Joeckel

Appreciate it brother!

Over/under 3.5

When is it, Coop?

You the man Liucci!

Gracias my friend!

11-2 with a NY6 bowl win L O L

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

speaking of White, 

https://www.pennlive.com/highschoolsports/football/2022/05/pennsylvania-big-33-team-loses-imhotep-charter-de-and-texas-am-signee-enai-white.html

According to the release from an official with the Pa. High School Football Coaches Association, White was told by Texas A&M that his Name, Image and Likeness money would be withheld if he participated in the Memorial Day event.

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm sure they know how to roll out the green carpet.

Doesn't mean that his head's still not gonna be spinning.

51 minutes ago, Viper said:

Hahaha, oopsie

Why, that implies that Texas A&M is handling his money which in turn implies it's not NIL money at all.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Hahaha, oopsie

Why, that implies that Texas A&M is handling his money which in turn implies it's not NIL money at all.

That would only be an issue if the NCAA cared.

And I’m guessing when that story came out, Jimbo added the caveat of 1 of his signees had a NIL deal. He just has to tell Billy to make sure no other recruit says anything. 

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Hahaha, oopsie

my fault, the amp link shows the whole article, or an older version of the article with the part I quoted

https://www.pennlive.com/highschoolsports/football/2022/05/pennsylvania-big-33-team-loses-imhotep-charter-de-and-texas-am-signee-enai-white.html?outputType=amp

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

And then commit on the spot to the Hillbilly QB whisperer.  Nothing to see here boys, move along…..

20 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

And then commit on the spot to the Hillbilly QB whisperer.  Nothing to see here boys, move along…..

hasn't the previous timelines been a commitment a few days to a week later so that the check can clear blockchain can settle?

PhoAsk Liucci, Part 2: Effects of Fisher vs. Saban, recruiting targets & more

By Billy Liucci
May 23, 2022

Editor’s Note: No, you did not miss “Ask Liucci, Part 1.” The video portion will be released later this week, and for sponsorship purposes, the written version has to remain as “Part 2.” Enjoy!

Billy, you live for this kinda stuff. How fired up and excited were you after you watched Jimbo's presser?? 

Well, I was on a plane to Chicago and knew all hell was likely to break loose as soon as I heard Saban's comments the night before. Jimbo wasn't about to take that crap lying down. I've seen a few try to call it unprofessional and act appalled that A&M would hold a formal presser in order for the head coach to reply, but those folks can miss me with that bullshit. 

When the most visible head coach in the sport calls you out and essentially says you and your program are cheating, I don't give a damn what anyone on the outside thinks, it's time to respond and to respond with as much force as you deem necessary. And that's the second time a coach in the SEC has straight-up accused Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M of cheating. I'm glad Fisher took a blowtorch to his hypocritical ass.

Any word on what the other coaches on campus thought of Jimbo's press conference? 

I've spoken to a few since Thursday, and they all loved it. The reaction wasn't at all dissimilar to what you saw on TexAgs. Love seeing coaches like Buzz and Jimbo not put up with shit and defend their players, schoo, and programs.

How many commitments do you expect to see in June? 

Possibly as many as a half dozen or so.

In the 10/08 game, how fiery does it get, and does Jimbo swing? 

My gut tells me the two coaches will talk at midfield as they always have in the past, but as I sit here today, it's tough to imagine those two engaging in small talk. Hell, they could go at it again right there at the 50-yard line at Bryant-Denny. That matchup is going to be HEATED, and I love it.

What kind of message does Jimbo's press conference send to recruits, his players and parents, and what is the overall impact? 

Well first off, once again, it's Texas A&M and Alabama in the middle of the national news. Just like the last offseason, it's Jimbo Fisher and Nick Saban. All that does is help A&M remain in the spotlight and front and center in the minds of recruits across the state and country. 

2020: A&M, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Notre Dame for six weeks of playoff debate. Top-five finish alongside those same teams. The 2021 offseason build-up included Jimbo-Nick round one, plus all of the talk centering around whether or not A&M could knock Alabama off. Ags also spent that offseason (and this one) as a preseason top-10 team knocking on the top five. Mix in the unforgettable win over Alabama and now the nation's No. 1 class, one that blew past Bama and Georgia, and you've got a group of '23 recruits who have been accustomed to hearing Texas A&M mentioned among the elite. 

I know that will rub the '1939' and 'you went 8-4' crowd the wrong way, but that's the truth. Another fact is that recruits don't quite see things the same as rival fan bases or some blatantly biased media types when it comes to this stuff.

The message it sends? The head coach has your son's back, he's going to defend his players and that Texas A&M isn't going anywhere and won't back down to anyone.

Does Saban's message and the follow-up damage control cause any problems for Bama recruiting, or is this lost in the news in a couple of months?

Nah, I don't think it's going to hurt Alabama's recruiting efforts at all. If anything, Saban was saying all of that specifically to get that group of donors fired up and panicking to the point that they'll rally and step up with big-time money to do exactly what he was accusing A&M of doing. That was part of the hypocrisy of the entire speech.

Thanks for doing these brother. Appreciate you taking the time. 

Always!

Did anybody from the athletic department try to talk Jimbo out of doing the press conference or give him parameters before the press conference?

Doubtful. I don't think anyone was going to convince Jimbo to take a beat and regroup after Saban pulled that level of a stunt. Jimbo was going to do what Jimbo wanted to do at that point, just like Saban, Dabo or Ryan Day would have done.

You mentioned that this has been brewing..... have you heard anything specific during this past cycle that "God" has said about A&M, Jimbo, or our program via recruits or other coaches? 

I've heard a lot over the years when it comes to Nick Saban and his thoughts on Texas A&M and what type of threat they are. Since Fisher's arrival in Aggieland, things have escalated significantly in terms of the powers that be in T-Town considering the Aggies a viable threat. 

Already this cycle, I have it on excellent authority that Nick Saban and the Alabama staff have spent a LOT of time dragging A&M through the mud and negative recruiting the Maroon & White, to the point that several prospects have returned home to Texas and made sure the Aggie staff was aware of what was being said. They're spending a lot more time in Tuscaloosa on those visits trying to work over Fisher and A&M than they are even Georgia or LSU.

Do Saban's remarks hurt him on the recruiting trail?

I don't imagine they will, no.

Can Olin please ask the following question to Jimbo next presser? "Will you beat Saban's ass this year? 

Well after Olin got called out by Pat McAfee, he'd better get whatever question he has out in short order!!! That was hilarious, btw. I have a feeling things will calm down on the Fisher/Saban front for a while now and just simmer until October 8.

Most media I've seen are quick to claim that Saban's comments were "calculated." Curious about your thoughts on this and if so what was he trying to accomplish and what did he actually accomplish? 

I think first and foremost, the man is simply a sore loser. Period. He's an adult jackass. Was probably an arrogant jackass when he was younger and is now an adult jackass. Leopard doesn't change its spots. He's a sore loser, and he lost to Jimbo and A&M on the field, then lost to Kirby in the title game, and then lost in the recruiting race. 

Beyond that, however, I do believe Saban was trying to scare a sense of urgency into the Alabama folks in attendance at the speaking event and in no uncertain terms send the message that they need to do a better job than they've been doing. He's also trying to shine as bright a light as possible on Jimbo and the Aggies because the guy is believing what he's hearing out there regarding A&M and NIL. 

Of course, he's going to believe it because, if it's true, it explains away how Alabama lost several big-time players to the Aggies in 2022. At the end of the day, Saban doesn't want competition or parity when it comes to him being able to get virtually every player he wants while keeping his dynasty rolling, and that's especially true at a time when he knows he doesn't have too many years left coaching. 

And don't get it twisted, he's also wanting his very pointed statement to lead to Fisher and the Aggies feeling the pressure and need to dial back whatever he thinks is going on in College Station, and that was his way to shining a very bright, very negative light on the Ags.

When does Tony Mitchell‍ commit? 

I still think that one has some time until he makes an announcement, but his A&M OV is set, and the Ags are still in a pretty damn good spot here. Again, as I say with all of these OOS five-stars, the competition is going to be VERY tough, which means a roller coaster ride at times to his announcement. But as of today, I'd rather be in A&M's spot than anyone else's.

When does Jimbo finally take Nick's call? Personally, if it was me? Never. 

I don't think things smooth over for a while. I think that bad blood will last until at least Saban is retired if not both of them. While he's at it, Jimbo may as well reply to Steve Spurrier's tired ass, as well. The Old Ball Coach just couldn't help getting a dig at the former Florida State Seminole boss, now could he?

It's pretty clear Fisher was pissed, and he articulated the reasons why well. Aside from taking offense on behalf of the players, recruiting staff and the university at large, this was clearly personal to him. If you rewind the tape 12 months, Saban and Jimbo were jawing in the media, but it seemed like it was coming from a place of friendly — if fierce — professional competition.

By all appearances, the two seemed like friends (to the extent anyone seems like Saban's friend). I know you can't speak as Jimbo, but how much of what we heard do you think came from that personal relationship between the two? 

Make no mistake, that was very personal. Look, I'll be as blunt as I can here and say that response wasn't something that came out of nowhere after Jimbo heard Nick's comments. That's been a while in the making. 

Last summer, last year's game, Saban running down Fisher and the Ags on the recruiting trail, a series of hotly-contested recruitments, Alabama attempting to poach one of the Ags' best-returning players during the off-season...the list goes on and also included a couple of other snide, condescending remarks from Nick aimed at Fisher and the Ags along the way.

How do you think the national perception of Jimbo and A&M has changed over the last few days? 

I think folks loved the drama and shock of seeing someone in college football — and someone who has some real juice and is a big name — go after Saban like that. I just think folks were reminded that Jimbo isn't going to back down from a fight in case they'd forgotten. With that said, no one is changing their mind either way when it comes to how A&M signed the No. 1 class of all time. They'll believe what they're going to believe.

Have you heard any comments about this from within the TXHSFB coaching ranks? Watching Jimbo go to bat for his players had me fired up. 

Not really. I've had a couple reach out, mainly laughing or fired up about it and some asking some of the same questions you guys are (the background and build-up, etc).

What are our chances with the other top Alabama recruits Peter Woods‍ and Jaquavious Russaw‍? 

Russaw is going to take some work, but the Ags are more in the hunt there than many believe. Worth keeping a very close eye on. Mitchell is still the most likely from the Tide's home state, however.

Who do you think we sign on the OL this year?

I'm betting we see a couple of OOS additions, with the most likely being Micah Banuelos‍. In-state, I still love the Ags' chances with TJ Shanahan‍ and Harris Sewell‍. Five is the number.

I'm following up on this question with another question. Why do some members of the media seem so hell-bent on gaslighting to defend everything Nick Saban says? "Oh, he didn't really say what you think he said." 

I think it's obvious. It's just the path of least resistance. It's easier to side with the guy who wins all the championships and who has made a career of being a complete jackass to the media. 

Over time, he's turned most of them into ass-kissing yes-men and Saban fanboys.

Any portal targets we should know about? I'm assuming we'll go after the grad transfer market. 

Not at this point in time, no. I'll let you guys know if and when that changes, but the Ags really only have one spot.

Will we become the bad boy of College Football, aka Miami Canes, once upon a time?

If A&M wins a championship with this class, there will be a hell of a lot of folks around the country who will absolutely HATE to see it happen. Unless it's A&M-Alabama (could you imagine THAT), I'd be willing to bet most outside of College Station will be rooting against A&M ‘buying a championship’ in their warped reality. 

Imagine the hypocrisy or naivete, to feel that way when A&M won it but not when Kansas, UNC, Kentucky or Duke win one in hoops or when Saban and Dabo or Kirby or LSU get it done in football. Incredible.

Would you say that this year's team has what it takes to beat Bama on the road and make a statement? 

I'd have to wait and see who's playing quarterback for the Aggies and how he fares from mid-September to early October, but yes, I do think they'll be good enough that they should have a shot. Still, let's not lose sight of the fact that this year's Alabama team should be the clear-cut best in college football when things open up coming out of August.

Billy thanks for all you and TexAgs does for our fan base. There really is no comparable "board" for another school anywhere by a large margin.

Really appreciate that. I'm always going to go to bat for our Aggies when necessary.

In your opinion, if Jimbo/A&M doesn't respond at all or in a very PC way to Saban's comments does Sankey still reprimand the czar? 

No chance in hell. Zero chance.

Would you say we have three rivalries now, Bama, LSU, and t.u.? 

Fair to say, yes. The Alabama/A&M rivalry has a real chance to heat up in the same way Alabama/LSU did a little more than a decade ago.

Do you think Jimbo throat punches Saban at media days? 

Shoot, I'd be more interested to see what happens at the SEC meetings in Destin next week.

Does Saban sleep in Cinderella's Castle when he goes to Disney World with his grandkids?

Didn't even know that place existed.

Does paw tuck him in? 

That's probably Legend's job.

Do you think Bobby Burton is going to "come out" in the near future or are you hearing that will be later in the fall?

I'm ignoring part of the question but taking it in a more serious direction. What I'd be interested in is finding out whether or not he's a primary player in the Texas collective. Perfectly legal but would be interesting to know, regardless.

Prediction on the game and gameday environment at Alabama? 

Whatever a 10 is, this will be bigger. If A&M navigates what I think is one of the toughest first five games in the nation (Sam Houston, App State, Miami, Arkansas at Jerryworld and at Mississippi State) and rolls into T-Town unbeaten? It'll be the biggest game played there since the '19 showdown with LSU.

Do you believe we can get any quotes/reactions from future recruits/current players on Jimbo's presser yesterday? 

I'd like to have Howell and Brauny ask around in some of their upcoming interviews for sure. Will be interested to hear the reaction.

Provide some known examples of Alabama cheating on the recruiting trail, please...

Are you a Alabama fan infiltrating my Q&A thread or what? Did Saban or Lane Kiffin provide any known examples of Texas A&M cheating on the recruiting trail? Because they sure as hell have levied the accusations.

While you're here, one I know of since Fisher arrived at A&M is a big-time (high-four star) prospect choosing between A&M and Alabama. On his official visit, no less, a then-Alabama assistant (a notorious cheater at every stop, mind you) texted said player and told him — in writing — point-blank, "Whatever A&M is paying, we'll double it." Ballsy move. The prospect chose A&M. Before NIL. Go figure.

You've said we need to get better at NIL. Stacked is certainly one way to do it and thanks for putting that together. How else would you approach that issue? Do we need a public website with a shopping cart and a catchy name like the Tech deal I saw elsewhere on boards?

Not sure exactly, as I've been up to ears with the new things we're doing at TexAgs, but hopefully, the right people at A&M are watching what's going on around the country. If and when there are great ideas, I'd like to think the powers that be on the NIL side of things away from athletics and the university can move swiftly in that space and adjust/improve when the opportunity presents itself.

How does someone give $1000 or $5000 if they don't know any big money Ags in the "collective" Surely there's some pent-up supply out there right?

So there's this little thing called 'Stacked'...

Thanks for working on your time off. Would a thought you'd be "safe" in late May. Lol. 

I learned right about the time I was working my way through a Cabo trip on back-to-back summers in '10 and '11 that Texas A&M going to the SEC meant 'time off' was always going to be a moving target.

Who do you see right now as the true over-the-top guys that Jimbo can use to elevate his offense? What is the attitude of the players as they prepare for fall camp? 

The attitude was excellent coming out of spring, but I can only imagine that's going to go up a notch when they return next week following this dust-up with Jimbo and Saban. I also think the newcomers plus all of the guys returning who missed spring ball are going to really lead to a noticeable spike in the competition levels at several spots, not to mention bring a jolt of energy and excitement.

Which freshman (who we won head-to-head with Bama) makes the big play and makes Saban's head explode? 

Well, the ones that would probably drive him the craziest would be Anthony Lucas‍ , LeVeon Moss, Denver Harris‍, Shemar Stewart‍, Evan Stewart‍ or Chris Marshall‍. 

If Saban was on fire would Jimbo bother peeing on him to put it out or just let him burn? I'm going with option two. 

You know what's hilarious about this question? About 20 years ago when Nick took the job at LSU (and not a single assistant opted to join him on the plane from East Lansing to Baton Rouge, I knew a coach who Saban offered a job. That coach told me that one of his closest and most respected friends in the profession said, "If he was on fire, I wouldn't piss on him to put it out." After hearing that, said coach remained where he was at.

You said a few times you thought our three permeant rivals would be LSU, sips, and MSU. Why no Arkansas? 

Just haven't heard the Hogs mentioned at all when it comes to A&M and how the 'permanent rival' thing shakes out.

Have you ever asked any Bama boosters about "The Machine" and what it is exactly they do? 

No, I haven't ever asked about it, but I'm not naive enough to think for a second that Saban hasn't been buying players since his days at Michigan State and especially going back to LSU and now Alabama.

Over/under on how many rounds Saban would last against Jimbo? (Using regulation weight boxing gloves). 

First off, he's a lot older. Second, he'd be out of there in round one unless he took some time off and trained in Alabama with Deontay Wilder

2 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:
Over/under on how many rounds Saban would last against Jimbo? (Using regulation weight boxing gloves). 

First off, he's a lot older. Second, he'd be out of there in round one unless he took some time off and trained in Alabama with Deontay Wilder

Normal Q&A is normal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I know that will rub the '1939' and 'you went 8-4' crowd the wrong way...

Thump your chest all you want to your heart's content, Billy.  Doesn't bother anyone.  You're not elite.  You're middle of the pack like you've always been.  You went 4-4 in conference last year.  And you were 8-5 not 8-4.  Because you quivering pussies were too scared to play Wake fucking Forest.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If A&M navigates what I think is one of the toughest first five games in the nation (Sam Houston, App State, Miami, Arkansas at Jerryworld and at Mississippi State) and rolls into T-Town unbeaten? It'll be the biggest game played there since the '19 showdown with LSU.

Yes... this is one of the toughest first five games in the nation -- an FCS team at home, App State at home, the U coming off a 7-5 record with a brand new coach also at home, neutral site against Arkansas, and at MSU coming off a 7-6 season that ended with a 34-7 ass beating against Texas Tech in their bowl game. Arkansas will probably be ranked if they get past Cincinnati in week 1 and maybe Miami will be too if it trounces its two cupcake warm up games, but that isn't exactly murderers row.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yes... this is one of the toughest first five games in the nation -- an FCS team at home, App State at home, the U coming off a 7-5 record with a brand new coach also at home, neutral site against Arkansas, and at MSU coming off a 7-6 season that ended with a 34-7 ass beating against Texas Tech in their bowl game. Arkansas will probably be ranked if they get past Cincinnati in week 1 and maybe Miami will be too if it trounces its two cupcake warm up games, but that isn't exactly murderers row.

*An App State that is going to be on a serious emotional hangover after hosting UNC at Boone the week before. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

*An App State that is going to be on a serious emotional hangover after hosting UNC at Boone the week before. 

I haven't started reading up on team futures for the 2022 season yet, but if memory serves, App State also lost a shit ton of starters to graduation/portal/NFL/USFL.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I haven't started reading up on team futures for the 2022 season yet, but if memory serves, App State also lost a shit ton of starters to graduation/portal/NFL/USFL.

I looked up a preview of them and info on starters from ourlads.

On offense the QB returns, all the RB's, starting TE, and 4/5 OL and most of the OL guys are multi-year starters.  Not much WR production returning.

Defensively NT returns and he's pretty good and 3/4 of LB's.  1 CB and 1 S returns as well.  Doesn't appear they'll have much depth/size up front other than the NT.