Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

RE: MLB, why didn't he play this spring for ATM? Too soon after graduating? Didn't occur to me until now.

he "focused on football" for the spring semester.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Why-Texas-A-M-QB-Conner-Weigman-passed-on-16937114.php

“He’s focused on football,” Schlossnagle said of Weigman’s plan for the spring semester.

Weigman bypassed his final five months of high school and the chance to play a senior season for the Bridgeland baseball team to compete for the starting quarterback job at A&M against sophomore Haynes King and junior Max Johnson, a transfer from LSU. Fans should be able to catch all three in action during the annual spring game April 9 at Kyle Field.

“He’s supposed to be in his senior year of high school,” Schlossnagle said of not weighing down Weigman with too much from the start. “… To throw another thing in there would be tough on him.”

Weigman has a locker at Blue Bell Park and is welcome to throw or take batting practice or hit in the cages whenever he wants, Schlossnagle said.

“He knows he’s more than welcome down here at any time,” said Schlossnagle, adding that he anticipated Weigman perhaps giving baseball a go in 2023.

Schlossnagle, who took TCU to five College World Series appearances in his 18 seasons in Fort Worth, also knows Fisher’s championship history concerning two-sport standouts.

“Coach Fisher has said to me, ‘Hey, whatever (Weigman) wants to do, I’m supportive of,’ and I think (Fisher) has won two national titles, and both of them with football and baseball guys,” Schlossnagle said.

He added with a grin, “So hopefully that can happen.”

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Isn't Jimbo essentially the QB coach and OC, just like Riley and Sark?

yes Jimbo is QB/OC.

Craig is a former college QB and has been a QB coach more than a WR coach (i think Auburn's QB coach was Rhett Lashlee, Malzahn's former protege) - 2016 LSU's OC was Cam Cameron before he got fired.

image.png.4e284d4eae5cad4cd38141c2e00eb30b.png

no matter what, at least Craig has coached QBs in the last 2 decades. idk why they would shuffle those dudes all the way around this way - makes no sense. it's one thing if you are flipping them around to fill a hole but idk when the last time i heard of a school flipping around three offensive position coaches before like this.

the last time Dickey was a TE coach was 1993 lol

image.png.c951c588049fbd1caae4aa4f62f64cb3.png

Coley has been a WR coach once in his career, 16-17 at UGA

image.png.e5e8957f427a68f3309324ff1011c924.png

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

yes Jimbo is QB/OC.

Craig is a former college QB and has been a QB coach more than a WR coach (i think Auburn's QB coach was Rhett Lashlee, Malzahn's former protege) - 2016 LSU's OC was Cam Cameron before he got fired.

image.png.4e284d4eae5cad4cd38141c2e00eb30b.png

no matter what, at least Craig has coached QBs in the last 2 decades. idk why they would shuffle those dudes all the way around this way - makes no sense. it's one thing if you are flipping them around to fill a hole but idk when the last time i heard of a school flipping around three offensive position coaches before like this.

the last time Dickey was a TE coach was 1993 lol

image.png.c951c588049fbd1caae4aa4f62f64cb3.png

Coley has been a WR coach once in his career, 16-17 at UGA

image.png.e5e8957f427a68f3309324ff1011c924.png

What could go wrong?

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

And his new move happens to coincide with the position they are having issues recruiting. Weird. 

Wait, is this real? Did they actually shuffle a bunch of coaches around on the staff? I thought this was an absurdist joke. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

There is one and only one reason Craig is on staff and coaching is not it.

well no shit. have you seen his position group the last few years?

also, while drunk in southern france earlier this summer, i was hit with a brilliant idea: a podcast whereupon spiderybanana and texpete break down high school film. i am in for $20 monthly on the patreon. 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Wait, is this real? Did they actually shuffle a bunch of coaches around on the staff? I thought this was an absurdist joke. 

it's real

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-AM-football-Jimbo-Fisher-shuffles-coaching-staff-Dameyune-Craig-now-working-with-QBs-190936840/

Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher appears to have shuffled around his offensive staff according to 247Sports' Brian Perroni. Reporting from Texas A&M's first practice of fall camp, Perroni observed Dameyune Craig coaching the Aggies' quarterbacks while Darrell Dickey took the tight ends and James Coley took the wide receivers. Previously, Craig coached wide receivers, Coley coached tight ends and Dickey — who is also the Aggies' offensive coordinator — coached quarterbacks. While Texas A&M has not confirmed that the change is permanent, Perroni reports that that appears to be the case.

Texas A&M assistant Dameyune Craig is working with QBs now. Darrell Dickey was with TEs and James Coley with receivers pic.twitter.com/KmDvQPi7Te

— Brian Perroni (@Perroni247) August 3, 2022

Craig will thus take on the supremely important job of coaching a position group that comes with some uncertainty. Texas A&M brought in LSU transfer quarterback Max Johnson and also returns Haynes King, a former 4-star recruit who missed most of the season last year after suffering an injury. Despite the position shuffling, Fisher will remain the Aggies' play caller. Although Dickey holds the de jure offensive coordinator title, he does not call A&M's plays.

A&M will get to ease into the season, which could help Fisher's offensive coaches adjust to new roles. The Aggies open against FCS opponent Sam Houston State at home on Sept. 3 before a tougher matchup against Appalachian State on Sept. 10 that they should still enter as heavy favorites in. Things really ramp up on Sept. 17, when Miami comes to College Station for one of the premier nonconference games of the fall.

Herman moved guys around on his staff instead of firing them. He should never have brought Warehime, Mehringer, Meekins, etc. with him, but he couldn't help himself, because fuck you, he knew better. Then, clearly Warehime was overmatched at OLC and Mehringer was not only lost at WRC but also pissing off his own players and everyone else's. Instead of Herman getting his shit together and shitcanning those rubes, he just brought in Hand when the 10th assistant role became a thing and moved Warehime and Mehringer around, I think with Meekins. 

For all of that, many of us here vilified the motherfucker, justifiably. And we were right. 

Now we see Fisher doing the same thing, and he's being lauded as a wizard by the team's fans, including bizzle here, telling us that he's excited about the changes. I'm sure it's going to be awesome for the aggies. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, bizzle said:

it's a demotion for craig, and it's fucking beautiful. real football cometh.

i'm just now seeing this and would love to see you expand on why you think this has anything to do with actually changing the offense?

your TEs are now coached by a guy who last coached TEs 30 years ago, literally.

your WR coach has only ever been a WR coach for 2 years in his career

QB coach is whatever. he's there to recruit.

i had forgotten Tommie Robinson was even a coach at A&M - he has been the RB coach since 2020

...how is this going to bring the Jimbo offense out of the dark ages?

Their offensive staff is a jumbled mess. 

Addazio hasn't coached an offensive line in over a decade. Coley has 2 years of experience as a wide receiver coach with most his experience at other positions. Craig is terrible and was just demoted again. Dickey hasn't coached tight ends in nearly 30 years. 

Tommy Robinson is the only one with much experience in the last decade coaching his actual position group. This is a poorly constructed coaching staff on paper. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, UTEX90 said:

2023.  Until they only win 8 or 9 games this year then it will be 10-2 in 2023 and CFP in 2024, etc, etc, etc.

Yup.  In 2020, 2021 was going to be their year, because they finally got rid of that... errr.... starting quarterback... that had been holding them back. 

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Their offensive staff is a jumbled mess. 

Addazio hasn't coached an offensive line in over a decade. Coley has 2 years of experience as a wide receiver coach with most his experience at other positions. Craig is terrible and was just demoted again. Dickey hasn't coached tight ends in nearly 30 years. 

Tommy Robinson is the only one with much experience in the last decade coaching his actual position group. This is a poorly constructed coaching staff on paper. 

https://texags.blob.core.windows.net/photos/0120385-hhlk-720x720.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Herman moved guys around on his staff instead of firing them. He should never have brought Warehime, Mehringer, Meekins, etc. with him, but he couldn't help himself, because fuck you, he knew better. Then, clearly Warehime was overmatched at OLC and Mehringer was not only lost at WRC but also pissing off his own players and everyone else's. Instead of Herman getting his shit together and shitcanning those rubes, he just brought in Hand when the 10th assistant role became a thing and moved Warehime and Mehringer around, I think with Meekins. 

For all of that, many of us here vilified the motherfucker, justifiably. And we were right. 

Now we see Fisher doing the same thing, and he's being lauded as a wizard by the team's fans, including bizzle here, telling us that he's excited about the changes. I'm sure it's going to be awesome for the aggies. 

i think what really brings your analogy home is the very similar resumes and reputations of derek warehime and drew mehringer as compared to darrell dickey and james coley. great point. 

the problem here, as it has been for years, is dameyune craig, who jimbo cannot for whatever reason seem to part from, nor can craig leave, even as close as he was last year at various points. i think these moves reduce craig's on-field impact, are a neutral to the tight end room, immediately bolster the wide receiver room, and hopefully get craig one step closer to somewhere else. 

3 minutes ago, bizzle said:

i think what really brings your analogy home is the very similar resumes and reputations of derek warehime and drew mehringer as compared to darrell dickey and james coley. great point. 

the problem here, as it has been for years, is dameyune craig, who jimbo cannot for whatever reason seem to part from, nor can craig leave, even as close as he was last year at various points. i think these moves reduce craig's on-field impact, are a neutral to the tight end room, immediately bolster the wide receiver room, and hopefully get craig one step closer to somewhere else. 

Craig's his primary bag man, and you're shocked Jimbo can't part from him? Do you want him to part from last year's recruiting class, too?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, bizzle said:

You can revel in having Dickey and Coley on your staff all day long and I’ll be fine with my position that moving them around to try to get something right instead of doing what obviously needs to happen is bad for ATM and good for everyone else.  I didn’t compare their capabilities to Warehime or Mehringer, but since you took it upon yourself to do so, I’ll offer that I wouldn’t want any of those guys on my team’s staff. None of those guys instill any confidence in the positions they’re coaching and arguing otherwise is laughable fanboy homerism. 

Craig’s utility even for ATM will be irrelevant within the next recruiting cycle. I hope Fisher keeps him forever. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, bizzle said:

you say this when there is literally no information to back any of these assumptions up

there is going to be a new starting TE - the leading returner in catches from last year is Max Wright lol. obviously there are talented dudes on campus, but none of them have any experience. they are going to be coached by a dude who hasn't coached TE in 30 years

if Coley was such a great WR coach, why hasn't he coached WR for more than 2 of his 25 years as a coach.

there is also going to be a new starting QB this year, and you are happy about flipping over a coach you say is underperforming to be THAT position group's coach? how exactly do you sell any incoming QB that Craig is going to be a net positive for them?

i notice you left the QB room off of your list of changes - and it's a negative. in what universe is this a positive thing?

• positive for WR room (we have like 20 years of Jimbo's offense showing us how little WR matter in his scheme, so is this THAT good of a move?)
  • neutral to TE room (new starter here)
  • negative for QB room

...it isn't like you have a 3 year starter at QB, or you have an uber talented QB room. the transfer portal is a thing too, so you have to keep your current dudes happy.

and as every A&M fan should know after last year, the QB matters a ton. so even if it's a super positive move for the TE and WR room - how is this good?

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

you say this when there is literally no information to back any of these assumptions up

there is going to be a new starting TE - the leading returner in catches from last year is Max Wright lol. obviously there are talented dudes on campus, but none of them have any experience. they are going to be coached by a dude who hasn't coached TE in 30 years

if Coley was such a great WR coach, why hasn't he coached WR for more than 2 of his 25 years as a coach.

there is also going to be a new starting QB this year, and you are happy about flipping over a coach you say is underperforming to be THAT position group's coach? how exactly do you sell any incoming QB that Craig is going to be a net positive for them?

i notice you left the QB room off of your list of changes - and it's a negative. in what universe is this a positive thing?

• positive for WR room (we have like 20 years of Jimbo's offense showing us how little WR matter in his scheme, so is this THAT good of a move?)
  • neutral to TE room (new starter here)
  • negative for QB room

...it isn't like you have a 3 year starter at QB, or you have an uber talented QB room. the transfer portal is a thing too, so you have to keep your current dudes happy.

and as every A&M fan should know after last year, the QB matters a ton. so even if it's a super positive move for the TE and WR room - how is this good?

Trust in Jimbo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Coley and Craig got their first big jobs under Jimbo and both have moved around a lot based on their position group. I know I'm stating the obvious but you can tell neither bring much value as coaches and both are there to drop bags. 

Does anybody think Craig, Coley, or Dickey are good coaches? The first two are there to drop bags and I have no clue what Dickey offers. 

It’s a weak offensive staff. Tommie Robinson can’t hold a job for more than 2 or 3 years. I bet Tashard Choice runs circles around him on the recruiting trail.

It’s funny to see A&M fans justifying the moves by saying they didn’t like their WR rotations and Coley will fix that. It’s the EXACT same thing we told ourselves when Herman fired Mehringer and brought in Coleman. Eventually we realized the common denominator with the mind boggling rotations at all offensive positions.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, bizzle said:

also, while drunk in southern france earlier this summer, i was hit with a brilliant idea: a podcast whereupon spiderybanana and texpete break down high school film.

Weird. Why am I on your mind? I have been very involved in HS football in the past, not as much these days, and I almost never discuss Xs and Os on here.

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Coley and Craig got their first big jobs under Jimbo and both have moved around a lot based on their position group. I know I'm stating the obvious but you can tell neither bring much value as coaches and both are there to drop bags. 

Does anybody think Craig, Coley, or Dickey are good coaches? The first two are there to drop bags and I have no clue what Dickey offers. 

I’ll just share this on Craig. I once asked an Auburn fan about Craig. He said Auburn had to get rid of him, he was too sketchy. I respond “too sketchy? At Auburn!”. He responded “yes, even we have our limits”. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, bizzle said:

What makes you think Coley is a good wide receivers coach? His wide receivers were mediocre in 2 years at Georgia and then Georgia's wide receivers improved after hiring Cortez Hankton. 

Coley and Craig are the same coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1