Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

17 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

While the odds are likely lower than 100% they are certainly higher than zero, otherwise things like below wouldn't happen. I get it's Alabama, but that's a lot of talent that isn't seeing the field yet are still there when certainly options would exist elsewhere.  Maybe it changes this offseason, but the "atm" has a cash window that can compete with anyone.

image.png.e0e1921fa82eb6e6f45a3c00ef1dd171.png

wait, we are comparing the A&M team to the Alabama team in general? come on.

part of the reason people at at Bama is winning national championships (basically every class recruited since he was at LSU won a NC) and developing players.

remind me when A&M won a national championship last? do you think they win one in the next 3 years?

it's a shit comparison and you know it. also, do you think all of those guys stay at Alabama next year?

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

wait, we are comparing the A&M team to the Alabama team in general? come on.

part of the reason people at at Bama is winning national championships (basically every class recruited since he was at LSU won a NC) and developing players.

remind me when A&M won a national championship last? do you think they win one in the next 3 years?

it's a shit comparison and you know it. also, do you think all of those guys stay at Alabama next year?

We're comparing a bunch of highly ranked recruits who are willing to likely not see the field when they likely could get bank by going somewhere else.

You're saying A&Ms 2022 defensive class will break up during the off season. I'm saying there is a high liklihood that it won't.

Alabama players might stay for championship lure... A&M players are staying for bank which is still obviosuly open.  All teams have attrition and I don't think A&Ms will be worse than anyone elses.

12 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We're comparing a bunch of highly ranked recruits who are willing to likely not see the field when they likely could get bank by going somewhere else.

You're saying A&Ms 2022 defensive class will break up during the off season. I'm saying there is a high liklihood that it won't.

Alabama players might stay for championship lure... A&M players are staying for bank which is still obviosuly open.  All teams have attrition and I don't think A&Ms will be worse than anyone elses.

sorry my rationale was based on a few things, including the size of the class.

A&M DL scholarship distribution:

image.png

Bama DL scholarship distribution:

image.png.8d7ddc91933a3db6a5f48fb0f2f24431.png

you pulled from the recruit page which can be wonky at times - it includes guys like Will Anderson and Dallas Turner who are both considered "LB" i think vs "DE"

the Bama DL list has no more than 4 in any 1 class - 3/4/4/3

the A&M class has 0/3/1/9 - lots on the early end in 1 class.

i am very specifically saying that not all 9 of those guys in the freshman list will return next year. either by some combo of getting picked off elsewhere, NIL, not playing enough snaps, wanting to go back home, etc. too many dudes in 1 "year"

we also are going to disagree pretty seriously on the likelihood of the guys staying at A&M who are from pretty far away. with the portal, the likelihood that guys from say New Jersey who aren't playing or have been recruited over staying goes away - this isn't specific to A&M, just is different when you are recruiting players from your own area or state vs much further away. the difference with Alabama is 1) rings 2) Saban and 3) development.

i think big picture we agree that everyone is going to have attrition.

A&M is in a specific situation where it could go wrong quickly. they have a huge number of players in one year (9), that all play the same general position and have limited positional flexibility (DL, not like it's a 3* WR who can flip to DB or you can move Albert Regis to play LB), many are not from the region and A&M isn't winning a national championship anytime soon so the promise of a ring isn't going to keep them there.

again this is specific to this position group, not the 2022 A&M recruiting class as a whole.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

They…they went 3 down on goal line??

They're apparently running a lot of 3 man fronts. It's almost too incredible to be true. They're signing nothing but 5 stars and running 3 man fronts where they have the most talent. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They're apparently running a lot of 3 man fronts. It's almost too incredible to be true. They're signing nothing but 5 stars and running 3 man fronts where they have the most talent. 

5776cddbfd82a92f266f8b38e2357671.jpg

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Which is what everyone said was going to happen because Durkin has always based from an odd front.

Ole Miss hasn't skipped a beat on defense without Durkin. They might even be better. 

It looks like Kiffin's reliance on the portal is working because they always have an experienced defense. Think they only have 2 underclassmen starters on defense and it's once again SR heavy. 

I know I made my thoughts clear in the football forum but I'm starting to think Kiffin is the real deal. Ole Miss success on defense last season was more about how Kiffin continues to maximize the portal vs Durkin actually being a good DC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:21 PM, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

I’d love for us to have finished 8-4 each year over the last 10 years. All we have to show this season so far is “but that 1 qtr with Ewers!” 

We have a Sugar Bowl win over Georgia, wtf does A&M have to show over the past 5-6 years? A good year during the COVID year and…? No matter your spin it, we have sucked donkey balls and have not met our standards during any year over the past 12 years except for the aforementioned year. A&M has basically accomplished as much or less over that timeline than we have in terms of BCS Bowl Victories (recall the Cotton Bowl was not a BCS Bowl). They are the third best team in their division during their best years. We are pissed when we accomplish the same thing and we should be. We should demand excellence at every turn and give our coaches the time and resources necessary to achieve it. 

While you troll about the Quinn Ewers injury, keep in mind that if Quinn is uninjured, right now we are likely 5-0 and a top 5 team in the AP Poll. Sark is not as good as that result would make us appear nor is he as bad as this 3-2 result with an injured starting QB, an active but also injured second string QB, a recovering injured third string QB, and a walk on QB as the room. 

tl;dr shut the fuck up and watch you overly emotional and reactionary troglodytes. Sark can win a title here. Give him time. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The stat that stands out to me is Jimbo is 13-12 against the SEC West. His record at aggy is such a joke because it's all based on 1) beating terrible nonconference teams and 2) avoiding the only good SEC East team in Georgia.

And beating mostly down Arkansas and South Carolina 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/29/2022 at 7:21 PM, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

I’d love for us to have finished 8-4 each year over the last 10 years.

Whaddaya know? You’re well one your way there again. Good thing y’all schedule all those home games and shitty D2 schools.

That 8-4 bullshit is Jeff Fisher-esque. Are Jeff and Jimbo related?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

The hilarious thing is Elko also rushed 3 last year and they were picked apart. 

I feel like Elko was known for playing 4 DTs and eschewing defensive ends for at least 2 years of his tenure at aTm. So I’m pretty skeptical of your post. Additionally, the switch from 4 man to 3 man front was a giant discussion point this off-season at Texags. So they don’t believe you either.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I feel like Elko was known for playing 4 DTs and eschewing defensive ends for at least 2 years of his tenure at aTm. So I’m pretty skeptical of your post. Additionally, the switch from 4 man to 3 man front was a giant discussion point this off-season at Texags. So they don’t believe you either.  

Dude.....watch....the...tape

Also, Leech himself said it

8 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Dude.....watch....the...tape

Also, Leech himself said it

I’ve watched most atm games the last 20 years. I don’t need to “watch the tape” Liucci style. Quoting something Mike Leach said yesterday when he was obviously referencing the game he just played specifically isn’t proving your fucking point either. 

If you want to insist that atm has been playing a 3 man front for literally years including the Elko era you’re going to get justifiably eaten alive. 

https://theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/aggies-excited-about-4-2-5-defensive-scheme-under-mike-elko/article_574d3d0a-a255-11e8-8c5f-3bac4f26c0a9.html

• Hook 'Em 1