Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

5 hours ago, someguy said:

Possibly.  Or Jimbo can tell them that, as head coach for 9 more years, he will loudly complain he isn't getting the resources from the administration to help him win (ask FSU about those complaints) while deciding to let the school recruit itself and downshift into a nice 30 hour/week pace.  Afterall, Jimbo's legacy as  national championship winning coach is already secure, and he can always get another school to believe the problem was A&M administration not supporting him.  Or, he could decide he has nothing left to prove and retire.  Full buy out or else.

The Aggies can make Jimbo's life hell, but Jimbo can make their lives hell by torching their program/brand for nearly a generation of young players and put them into an incredibly deep hole.  Such is the nature of mutually assured destruction.  Both sides have a certain amount of leverage over the other, but neither one wants to have to use it.

I mean, he's doing that now.  How much harder could he torch them, especially without bags to help fund his charm?

5 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Maybe but why? He holds all the leverage. He can just rack up L after L and destroy that program down to its foundation in as little as 2 years.

If I’m Jimbo I’m telling these morons that come at me with that shit that if you want me gone, buy my entire contract out or the entire place burns.

Yes, I want this.

5 hours ago, tokamak said:

I could see aggy making Jimbo's life so miserable that he walks away, but it's still going to cost them dearly. They might not end up paying the whole $90m, but they sure as shit aren't getting off scot-free.

It's a risky proposition for aggy boosters though because they're gonna have to endure several years of pain to make it happen. The name of the game now is NIL first, second, and third. If they shut off the spigot, everyone in the region is gonna feast on their carcass and that will set them back years.

It does seem quite clear that players on that roster are not getting what they were promised, or thought they were promised, and word is starting to circulate.

I mean, isn't this the move?  If they turn off the money, you have a ready made excuse (Aggy didn't find nil, impossible to compete, kids these days don't respect tradition).  A bunch of red ass insurance salesman from Katy would eat that up...

5 hours ago, Viper said:

Jimbo just better be careful passing around the collection jar to a bunch of aggies. He might not like what they fill it up with.

The best response.  

4 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

It's A&M.  They'll probably just pull a Tech, fire him, not pay him, and rely on their immunity and the statutory caps to protect them.  

Or this would be epic.  Both go down, ugly all around.  Aggy forced to fire Tom Herman to make us cover their next coach and save face.  

3 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Fuck no, I’d show up everyday dig three feet of ditches and watch my employer’s operation come to a halt as they burn through cash dealing with pissed off suppliers and contractors.

Yeah, but hypothetically, could you watch someone else train your wife while digging that 3" of ditch?  Asking for a friend

Spoiler

Actually for jimbo

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Google says aggy would owe Jimbo ~$77m if they fire him after the 2023 season. Say they make it perfectly clear over the next year+ that he's not getting any more support and then offer him $50m to gtfo. His deal is through 2031, so he'd have to make ~$27m over the following 8 years to come out ahead financially. Feels doable for a coach with a national championship on his resume, whether it be commentating or coaching for someone desperate enough to hire him. There's no clause in his contract that says that the money aggy owes him is offset by any other salary, so he could effectively double dip.

I think it's possible, although maybe not likely. Could aggy come up with a huge lump sum to pay him off? No clue on that.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Let me try to analogize. 

you have signed a contract to dig ditches using a backhoe. The work lasts 10 years and pays 9 million a year, fully guaranteed if you don’t quit. After a year, people are questioning your work. Where you dig, how deep, how far you’ve progressed. You say tough shit, I do what I do. 

they say, we are going to take your backhoe away and give you a shovel, to make the work as unpleasant as possible for the next 9 years.   

or, you could take 30 or 40 million right now (or even over 5 years or something) and never have to deal with that shovel. 

doesn’t that offer at least sound appealing enough to consider?

This scenario is ridiculous because no organization would ever be dumb enough to offer that much money fully guaran….oh wait….

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Google says aggy would owe Jimbo ~$77m if they fire him after the 2023 season. Say they make it perfectly clear over the next year+ that he's not getting any more support and then offer him $50m to gtfo. His deal is through 2031, so he'd have to make ~$27m over the following 8 years to come out ahead financially. Feels doable for a coach with a national championship on his resume, whether it be commentating or coaching for someone desperate enough to hire him. There's no clause in his contract that says that the money aggy owes him is offset by any other salary, so he could effectively double dip.

I think it's possible, although maybe not likely. Could aggy come up with a huge lump sum to pay him off? No clue on that.

Have you heard him talk?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Just out of curiosity,... and no I dont feel like reading his contract,...  Is there any clause in there that he can be demoted?   (aggy is probably stupid enough to put something in the contract to this effect that he can't be demoted)...  Anyways, if not, demote his ass to ball boy or something, for the next nine years, and find some coach willing to work for a million or 2 a year till his contract is up.   Money wise, I'm sure they could manage that.... has to be better than watch your program rot away.  

2 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

Just out of curiosity,... and no I dont feel like reading his contract,...  Is there any clause in there that he can be demoted?   (aggy is probably stupid enough to put something in the contract to this effect that he can't be demoted)...  Anyways, if not, demote his ass to ball boy or something, for the next nine years, and find some coach willing to work for a million or 2 a year till his contract is up.   Money wise, I'm sure they could manage that.... has to be better than watch your program rot away.  

There is effectively no difference in your scenario than just firing him.  Still have to pay out his contract and you still have to pay new coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

What would make aggy even more fun? 

How about an embittered $10mil ball boy wreaking havoc throughout the organization?  While the $1mil head coach works wonders while wondering why he's only getting 10% tip money...  

Actually, sounds really good to me, I'm onboard with this plan!

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Tech may be able to do that as they are a coaching stepping stone. No coach of the caliber aggy wants to hire would touch the job if aggy did that.

Aggy had always been a stepping stone destination. Jimbo has flipped the narrative by stepping on their stones as a retirement plan funded by rubes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

That may be plausible. The net present value at 8% or whatever the inflation rate is currently may be somewhere around that anyway.

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That may be plausible. The net present value at 8% or whatever the inflation rate is currently may be somewhere around that anyway.

It'd be interesting to see whether ATM or Jimbo could understand the output and meaning of a NPV analysis.....likely would need Sexton to explain to all parties. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Afraid not. I give the devil his due.  Not many people in my life I have encountered that would scare me to be on the wrong side of.  John Sharp is an individual who very much meets that description.

After this description of Sharpe, the ole Warden Norton came to mind,

6e04a39ad7d20157f654d9e363361f9a.jpg

Not that I wish anyone bad things, but….

4 hours ago, MAGS® said:

He was already demoted…..he took the aggy head coach job!   You can't get any more demoted than that!

Having to fluff himself on the message board he runs is unbelievably, incredibly pathetic. Someone with time and access could go back through as many of his posts that they can stand to look at and see the pattern of the first one or two posters to find his burners. Would love to read all of billie's posts telling himself how great and insightful he is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

What an idiot.  It wouldn't surprise me if a half dozen burners exist. Curiosity piqued.

He and Ketchum are famous for having numerous sock accounts. I know several people who worked with Ketchum that swear he has over 20 sock accounts. 

Ketchum and Liucci are peas in a pod. I’m betting Liucci has at least as many at fat fuck. He’s got more energy to create them, no doubt. 

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ketchum and Liucci are peas in a pod. I’m betting Liucci has at least as many at fat fuck. He’s got more energy to create them, no doubt. 

Depends on how you look at it. Fat is technically stored energy, so… 

Edited by Chili dog

The Ags can afford to buy out Fisher- the new media contracts for the SEC will cover it (thanks, Texas!). The problem is that the other SEC schools will be applying those new funds to increasing competitiveness. The Ags’ margin for error will be reduced, and that’s never good for them. 

So, they can afford to buy him out, but it costs too much to fire him out of emotion. They need a cold, rational decision. How will they make it? Can they make it?

My understanding is that while a buyout check may be paid by the university/AD, those funds are primarily from boosters, not general funds. Maybe somebody can confirm that?

It’s not like these AD’s have a reserve set aside to fund a buyout. In that sense I don’t think revenue from a media contract necessarily means they have money for a Jimbo buyout as that money is generally spoken for.

17 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

My understanding is that while a buyout check may be paid by the university/AD, those funds are primarily from boosters, not general funds. Maybe somebody can confirm that?

It’s not like these AD’s have a reserve set aside to fund a buyout. In that sense I don’t think revenue from a media contract necessarily means they have money for a Jimbo buyout as that money is generally spoken for.

That's about right.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2022/college-football-coaches-buyout-1234689739/a