Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's him and Leveon Moss, another spiky personality. Should be fine when they split carries. 

Possible, but I don't think Jimbo is letting a freshman RB try and pass block in his offense. I think Moss becomes the Achane replacement and everyone else can just wait their turn.

It’s amusing that aggys keep talking about how young they were this season and only had 8 seniors on the roster. They haven’t realized this is going to be a yearly problem when they continue to take mercenaries  (like Owens) who won’t be there long-term. 

This is also why “we are just losing depth” narrative is dumb. When you’re losing 20+ players every year you’re never going to have an experienced roster. 

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It’s amusing that aggys keep talking about how young they were this season and only had 8 seniors on the roster. They haven’t realized this is going to be a yearly problem when they continue to take mercenaries  (like Owens) who won’t be there long-term. 

This is also why “we are just losing depth” narrative is dumb. When you’re losing 20+ players every year you’re never going to have an experienced roster. 

Counterpoint - it gets easier for Jimbo to sell them on "just needing one more year" every year due to youth when they actually have no jrs and srs every year due to attrition.

I'll give the old hillbilly credit, maybe he has actually figured out a scheme by which he can perpetually point to the roster as why his teams aren't performing yet.

You might think aggy would eventually catch on that he's running off every player worth a shit who he coaches for 1-2 years, but this is aggy.  Critical thinking, self evaluation, and pattern recognition aren't exactly their strong suits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RollingPresidential said:

If NIL is finite, are bags infinite? How can they keep doing this?

When your self worth and image are inexorably tied to your football teams success, and you have a few billionaires still willing to play the game, you become an easy mark. Shit, it’s not rare for a company to seek a sound round of capital based solely on the idea that it’s the only chance an investor has to get his first round of money back. 

Fisher can accurately say “you may not like me, but you can pony up now on the chance I can fix this, or you can do nothing and guarantee this program is fucked for 5-10 years.” On its face, it’s a true statement. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

If NIL is finite, are bags infinite? How can they keep doing this?

They’re paying much fewer dollars through bags than our donors are through legal NIL because we’re paying (or working on paying) all our players something. They’re concentrating dollars on the “big fish.” It’s why they’re having trouble keeping older players bought in.

You’d think at some point they would put in the work to build sustainable NIL programs, but they have a tradition of cheating that they’re bound to. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It is kind of “funny” when one of the Top RB’s in the country decides to go to a team where the coach is on the hot seat, just finished a 5-7 season in year 5, doesn’t have a offensive coordinator because they just fired the last guy and a ton of current players are hitting the portal to get away from the program.  It’s one thing if Owens grew up always wanting to go to A&M and that was always his dream school or something but this doesn’t seem fishy at all, right?  Same will go for Hicks, Hill, etc…. 

They haven't learned a goddamn thing...this will blow up in their gloryhole, as well. 

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Possible, but I don't think Jimbo is letting a freshman RB try and pass block in his offense. I think Moss becomes the Achane replacement and everyone else can just wait their turn.

With Owens, that sounds like an awesome plan, and I hope Bilbo uses it. That will work out incredibly well. For everyone except aggy. 

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

One thing I am discovering in the world of NIL is that no one has money to burn. Maybe Oregon, I guess. We are in an ongoing street fight to keep up with everything and it is hard as hell. Does Barstool have $12-$15M per year to support Deion's program? That's where we're at in terms of the top tier. That is a lot of fucking money to just be handing over to guys in the portal, to keep guys out of the portal, and to 17-19 year old recruits. 

I love Phil Knight for not giving a fuck and just doing this to Oregon sports:

money-fire.gif

Wish someone with a couple of B to burn would do that with Texas.

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

I love Phil Knight for not giving a fuck and just doing this to Oregon sports:

money-fire.gif

Wish someone with a couple of B to burn would do that with Texas.

To date, Hildebrand and Dell have provided a combined $0 to anything related to Texas NIL. Same for former walkon Cal McNair and 1969 national title member Jim “Mattress Mac “ Mcingvale. Credit to Mattress Mac, though, as he’s committed millions to UH NIL. 

Quite frankly, the billionaires associated to UT do not appear to give one fuck as it pertains to winning sports for the school. They damned sure want their names on shit though. That’s their victory. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To date, Hildebrand and Dell have provided a combined $0 to anything related to Texas NIL. Same for former walkon Cal McNair and 1969 national title member Jim “Mattress Mac “ Mcingvale. Credit to Mattress Mac, though, as he’s committed millions to UH NIL. 

Quite frankly, the billionaires associated to UT do not appear to give one fuck as it pertains to winning sports for the school. They damned sure want their names on shit though. That’s their victory. 

Are you still trying to put together an NIL package? Have you tried with Cal?

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Are you still trying to put together an NIL package? Have you tried with Cal?

That’s not really the role I’ve played. But yes, they’ve talked to and met with McNair. They might as well have spent that time in a bar or at a strip club. Either of those things would have been more productive. 

Edited by closetojumping
fucking apple autocorrect.
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, satyanash said:

It's interesting to contrast this with how Herman's recruiting and support flat-out died on the vine after the disappointment of the 2019 season and the Ewers fiasco. NIL (on in this case, lots of plain ol' $$$) really does change everything.

Goes back to how A&M is willing to get dirty in ways other schools won't touch with a ten-foot pole.

aggy is also buying off the family..

see Dindy from the last cycle. aggy built the Dad a frackin' church and made him Director of _______ at aggy

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

To date, Hildebrand and Dell have provided a combined $0 to anything related to Texas NIL. 

I get that we are the only school associated with Dell and that he has slapped his name on a few things… but didn’t he only attend UT for a year? 

11 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

I get that we are the only school associated with Dell and that he has slapped his name on a few things… but didn’t he only attend UT for a year? 

He runs one of the largest employers in Austin. He went to Texas. He's had opinions on sports with people over the years. Guys like that wind up contributing in most situations. If you're trying to make excuses for why a guy worth $25+B wouldn't put company largesse or his own for $500k to $1M that is tax deductible and negligible to his overall earnings, congrats, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Mattress Mac appears to be a Mean Green Eagle.  Are you confusing him with someone else?

Nevermind:

He drew on his personal experience, telling the team: “I played football at Texas in ’69 and ’70. I quit my sophomore year during spring practice because I wasn’t getting to play. I was disgruntled and transferred to North Texas. Don’t get me wrong. I had a great, great time at North Texas playing for Hayden Fry.”

Edited by Fondren & Main

8 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

He made his mark on the back of UT alums happy to take less than the going rate to stay in the Austin area and work for Michael vs moving back to Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, wherever…

if it weren’t for an over-educated Longhorn talent pool willing to take less than market value, Michael would have either had to move his company or he wouldn’t be where he is today. 

You could also add UT Business School professors & alumni (EDS’s Mort Meyerson for example who was on his board) guiding him to where he is today. He may have only gone to UT for one year, but his entire adult life was like it was due to UT. (His initial customers were UT students.)

Show us the money, Mickey D!!

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

He played a year at Texas. His brother also. Won a championship. Still a UT guy deep down. 

He is but his big charity work is involvement in his direct community, Houston and surrounding areas. He does a TON for the area where he lives and works. He just chooses not to do it in Austin.  I think he's seen that good favor has done him well in business and made him a local god. In return people buy from him like crazy. I don't think he's solely driven by the return from good publicity, but what is the incentive for him to do it for UT and not for UH?

I think the corporate stuff would be awesome for companies like Dell or Tesla or the multitude of other large businesses in the area.

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

TBF, the guy is paying three head coaches right now. smh

Just now, closetojumping said:

I do want to be clear that I do not feel entitled to judge how another person or entity spends its money legally. I just wish they'd be spending some of it in UT NIL's direction. 

I'm mostly with you at the last one, but it's frustrating. That being said, demanding The Longhorns play multiple games in Houston at Reliant is certainly one way to demonstrate you're more interested in what Texas can do for you than what you can do for Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No. What the fuck? Mattress Mac played on the 1969 team. He's always made his affiliation with Texas clear when it has suited him.

Right now, it suits him to affiliate himself with the UH basketball program (outside the Astros, they are the best sports team in the city). He's betting on UH basketball, just like he did with the Astros. So, it makes sense that he's involved with their NIL, at least, for the basketball team, where he has commercials running during the games.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Right now, it suits him to affiliate himself with the UH basketball program. He's betting on UH basketball, just like he did with the Astros. So, it makes sense that he's involved with their NIL, at least, for the basketball team, where he has commercials running during the games.

Fella's selling furniture in Houston. It suits him to invest in all of the local teams. It makes sense, but yah it sucks he can't be bigger for UT. 

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He runs one of the largest employers in Austin. He went to Texas. He's had opinions on sports with people over the years. Guys like that wind up contributing in most situations. If you're trying to make excuses for why a guy worth $25+B wouldn't put company largesse or his own for $500k to $1M that is tax deductible and negligible to his overall earnings, congrats, I guess. 

Not making excuses. Just trying to take your previous advice and not spend other peoples money. 

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Right now, it suits him to affiliate himself with the UH basketball program (outside the Astros, they are the best sports team in the city). He's betting on UH basketball, just like he did with the Astros. So, it makes sense that he's involved with their NIL, at least, for the basketball team, where he has commercials running during the games.

Yeah, I know quite well what his logic is, as well as where things stand offline on this stuff in regard to his view. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I wasn’t expecting Elton John to show up in a thread on the recruiting forum, but here we are.  

New Aggie Recruiting Pitch:

What have I gotta do to make you love me?
What have I gotta do to make you care?
What do I do when lightning strikes me?
And I wake up and find that you’re not there

3 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

New Aggie Recruiting Pitch:

What have I gotta do to make you love me?
What have I gotta do to make you care?
What do I do when lightning strikes me?
And I wake up and find that you’re not there

I look forward to the team's new intro song "The bitch is back."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

That’s not really the role I’ve played. But yes, they’ve talked to and met with McNair. They might as well have spent that time in a bar or at a strip club. Either of those things would have been more productive. 

To be fair to Cal, he might not have a lot of spare change laying around. He's currently paying Rick Smith, Brian Gaine, Bill O'Brien, David Culley, and (possibly soon) Nick Caserio something like a combined $50m to not work for him.

God damn, i should get a job with the Texans.

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

nah

I don't think it would be the smartest move either, but Jason La Canfora mentioned it as being more possible than we thought. He hired two pretty horrible coaches, but he wanted McCown, so he wasn't able to land who he wanted due to the Flores lawsuit. But still pretty questionable that he would want McCown in the first place. But i do agree with the thinking of you can't just fire another guy after two years. No serious candidates would probably want to work for you after that.

Cal just seems really not smart overall.