Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't think it would be the smartest move either, but Jason La Canfora mentioned it as being more possible than we thought. He hired two pretty horrible coaches, but he wanted McCown, so he wasn't able to land who he wanted due to the Flores lawsuit. But still pretty questionable that he would want McCown in the first place. But i do agree with the thinking of you can't just fire another guy after two years. No serious candidates would probably want to work for you after that.

Cal just seems really not smart overall.

Out at Jason La Canfora 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't think it would be the smartest move either, but Jason La Canfora mentioned it as being more possible than we thought. He hired two pretty horrible coaches, but he wanted McCown, so he wasn't able to land who he wanted due to the Flores lawsuit. But still pretty questionable that he would want McCown in the first place. But i do agree with the thinking of you can't just fire another guy after two years. No serious candidates would probably want to work for you after that.

This might be the greatest understatement in the history of the internet. 

9 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Not to go big NFL discussion, but I believe a lot of that information is false. If Nick Caserio wanted McCown, he would have hired McCown two years ago. This organization doesn't really seem to give a fuck what people think about it, so I don't see why Cal would have shut down Nick hiring McCown last year or two years ago. We do know that Easterby and McCown were buddies, so I think a lot of the interviewing process etc... was in favor to Easterby (who is obviously not here anymore).

I truly believe Flores was Nick's guy this past year. The lawsuit got in the way of that. Flores was a name period, and ended up an LB coach. He offed his chances at a HC gig for at least a year. Owners will stay away from that, and the NFL will encourage them to. 

As for him hiring two bad coaches, I also don't believe those were his sole decisions, but organizationally. I believe Cully was the plan for two years, to just guide the team through the tank and suck, after it became apparent no one seriousl really wanted to take the job with the Watson problem, zero 1st and 2nd round picks, and a completely fucked roster (except for McCown, apparently, which again, if Nick really wanted him, he would have hired him). Cully and the Nick didn't see eye to eye, so it was time to move on, and Flores was probably the guy. Then Flores sunk his own boat. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Just now, Fud said:

Cully was the Texans version of Bo Porter. A bad coach who helps you tank and who's easy to fire when you're ready to hire your hopefully winning coach 

Yep. It had been reported once (and I've the same thing through a couple of radio guys I know) that even after the season the plan was for Cully to stay. Cully had a hard time playing along, apparently. Nick was fine with him leaving because he could hire Flores. then... poop. 

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Cully was the Texans version of Bo Porter. A bad coach who helps you tank and who's easy to fire when you're ready to hire your hopefully winning coach 

I think it's absolutely insane that someone would hire a coach with the intention for them to lose, but hey, not my money to burn.

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think it's absolutely insane that someone would hire a coach with the intention for them to lose, but hey, not my money to burn.

It works if you have someone in charge who knows what they are doing.  The Texans don't so everything they try is going to fail.

Edited by kevwun

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

It works if you have someone in charge who knows what they are doing.  The Texans don't so everything they try is going to fail.

I dunno, they're about to have 1.1, , on top of what the Browns give them, and then basically pick 32, so it seems to have worked perfectly. 

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Again, there weren't a lot of serious candidates lined up to take the position, because the roster wasn't good, and freak boy QB wanted a trade. That's just the facts. You were going to have to pay someone, and they were probably going to lose. 

8 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The NFL is all about the QB position. Its really hard to compete without a top level QB, so tanking to get your pick of one makes sense. That said the Texans even screwed that up

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

He runs one of the largest employers in Austin. He went to Texas. He's had opinions on sports with people over the years. Guys like that wind up contributing in most situations. If you're trying to make excuses for why a guy worth $25+B wouldn't put company largesse or his own for $500k to $1M that is tax deductible and negligible to his overall earnings, congrats, I guess. 

When I was at UT and was a valet at a restaurant downtown, Dell would roll in periodically.  First time, we parked him up front.  He gave us a $1 tip.  Next time, we parked him as far away as we possibly could.  He gave us a $1 tip.  Not sure what that says about him except that he is a cheap motherfucker

• Haha 6
  • Rage+1 3

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I dunno, they're about to have 1.1, , on top of what the Browns give them, and then basically pick 32, so it seems to have worked perfectly. 

Getting the picks is one thing, picking the right players is another. He already F'd up taking Stingley over Sauce. Plus can you imagine how fucked the locker room and general culture is when that happens? I legit don't think Davis Mills is that bad of a QB, and they just gave him no chance at all to succeed. Other people see how you treated that guy, why would they ever believe in you or your process?

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 minute ago, Zhorn96 said:

When I was at UT and was a valet at a restaurant downtown, Dell would roll in periodically.  First time, we parked him up front.  He gave us a $1 tip.  Next time, we parked him as far away as we possibly could.  He gave us a $1 tip.  Not sure what that says about him except that he is a cheap motherfucker

I think you should be very sure what that says about him.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I legit don't think Davis Mills is that bad of a QB, and they just have him no chance at all to succeed. Other people see how you treated that guy, why would they ever believe in you or your process?

What do you mean no chance at all to succeed? They kept Tunsil. Extended Brandin Cooks. Went out and got him some TEs. Drafted him an OL in the first round. Drafted him a WR in the second round (who is diagnosed with leukemia during training camp). Drafted him a stud RB who is in the argument for RotY (which he won't get probably).

And you don't want to point out the defensive picks that seem to have gone decent so far? 

Anyway, not gunna discuss it any further on this thread, but holy hell you've overlooked a lot. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know I am not the only one who has absolutely no clue whatever in the fuck it is you guys are discussing. Is this Texans shit? You guys cheer for the Texans? Christ. There has to be a thread on the football board where talking about those losers is on topic.

How to get Cal's money into Texas NIL coffers:

1. Somebody on here go convince him that they'd make a great executive and get hired

2. Be incompetent and a dick in general(two things i and a lot of others are most definitely good at)

3. Get fired/bought out after a year

4. Use the money on NIL

That's where i was going with all that. Totally on-topic.

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

1. Somebody on here go convince him that they'd make a great executive and get hired

2. Be incompetent and a dick in general(two things i and a lot of others are most definitely good at)

4. Use the money on NIL

The dude probably sits around and plays video games all day. Maybe there's an opening there. 

9 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

4. Use the money on NIL

One of my kids faces his kid's select team in baseball tournaments pretty regularly. Next time they play, I'll walk up and say "Hi, I'm closetojumping. I know a guy/girl, not sure, from the Internet named Pam Cummings. They'd really like the GM job for your team of jackoffs. If you're not going to stop embarrassing the city with that non-stop slow-motion train-wreck grease-fire of a sports franchise, at least hire someone that will eventually give UT some of that sweet, sweet NIL money. Thanks." 

I'm not sure how it will go over, but hopefully I can get that message out before being tackled by his bodyguard. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

42 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

4. Use the money on NIL

Make sure you hit up Amy Adams Strunk while you’re at it. 

54 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

First event I eve Mr worked as a valet many moons ago was a Dallas Petroleum Event at the Anatole (various owners over the years).

Sitting Texas governor Bill Clements was there (he had also overseen the continuation of paying SMU football players while they were on probation that led to their death penalty) and there was a big buzz of people wanting to know what he tipped. 

It turned out that he tipped…

image.jpeg.137a00989b552794807bd2e562a21452.jpeg

My father was a journalist who attended a few charity events a week and got to know the valet guys who did most medium-sized events (not the one I worked) in Dallas and told the guys he saw all the time my story about Gov Clements and they told him that he had a nickname among valets.

”Dollar Bill”

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It is kind of “funny” when one of the Top RB’s in the country decides to go to a team where the coach is on the hot seat, just finished a 5-7 season in year 5, doesn’t have a offensive coordinator because they just fired the last guy and a ton of current players are hitting the portal to get away from the program.  It’s one thing if Owens grew up always wanting to go to A&M and that was always his dream school or something but this doesn’t seem fishy at all, right?  Same will go for Hicks, Hill, etc…. 

this is the same shit they were saying about Banks and DJ committing to us last cycle.  Even though it was Sarks first season, they were saying he was already on the hotseat.  Owens was also committed to Louisville whose coach was also on the hotseat and compiled a record of 25-24, who was under .500 in conference play.

Kids committing to bad situations? It happens all the time.. money helps tremendously though 

4 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

u mad are what

Haha, yeah. English is not his best subject. I'm still texting him now, and he said he talks to Owens almost every day. He said Reuben doesn't think aTm gets Hill back and thinks he comes to Texas. Again, take it with a grain of salt. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

3M+.  If that’s real, holy shit. Stewart at half a mil isn’t going to like that…

These guys comparing paychecks is exactly the kind of thing that we should be cheering for. Next up is fall camp holdouts. Also, I am betting the 3M is over 4 years. No way some idiot is stupid enough to give a kid with huge red flags that kind of money up front.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

One of my kids faces his kid's select team in baseball tournaments pretty regularly. Next time they play, I'll walk up and say "Hi, I'm closetojumping. I know a guy/girl, not sure, from the Internet named Pam Cummings. They'd really like the GM job for your team of jackoffs. If you're not going to stop embarrassing the city with that non-stop slow-motion train-wreck grease-fire of a sports franchise, at least hire someone that will eventually give UT some of that sweet, sweet NIL money. Thanks." 

I'm not sure how it will go over, but hopefully I can get that message out before being tackled by his bodyguard. 

I like the approach, but we need to polish it some.  Start with "the lord told me in a vision..." and then end with "If you do this God will bless you beyond measure with even more wealth and whatever else your heart desires.  God bless and amen" and we've got a 50/50 shot of making this happen. 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

These guys comparing paychecks is exactly the kind of thing that we should be cheering for. Next up is fall camp holdouts. Also, I am betting the 3M is over 4 years. No way some idiot is stupid enough to give a kid with huge red flags that kind of money up front.

It’s aggy and they’re desperate 

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I'd guess it's 3mm over three years 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Zero chance Reuben Owens got $3 mil — get a grip people. The NIL numbers that get tossed around publicly are grossly exaggerated.

Yeah. I can’t imagine a shitload of old O&G flush boosters who haven’t won shit in nearly a century overpaying for a marquee player at a position of need after a really embarrassing year.  Crazy. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I thought you ran a 4.4?

• Haha 1