Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What's the story on the orca fat guy from Atascosita? If I am reading things correctly, he didn't sign yesterday? Does anyone know what is going on there?

he did not sign yesterday, evidently he is signing on his birthday, 1/23?

He is basically all A&M in his twitter follows (looks like Nebraska sniffed around recently as he is following their DL coach and a player personnel guy), all A&M in his likes and tweets/RTs.

A guy waiting that long when this low ranked sure seems like he is asking to be processed - I assume that he signed his LOI and they are holding the announcement until his 1/23/23 signing date

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

He is basically all A&M in his twitter follows (looks like Nebraska sniffed around recently as he is following their DL coach and a player personnel guy), all A&M in his likes and tweets/RTs.

A guy waiting that long when this low ranked sure seems like he is asking to be processed - I assume that he signed his LOI and they are holding the announcement until his 1/23/23 signing date

Yeah, it's just like McDonald for us, I'd assume. They have it but are waiting to announce. That being said, I think the one place it's safe for a player to not have to worry about being processed, it's at Texas A&M with their roster of 60 dudes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

Nice job Gig'Em247 can't even spell one of your prized 'croots name right well it looks like the link spelled it right tweet did not.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, NoName said:

Seems right.

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

amazing.

Coaching Career from USC website, he doesn't have a wiki so can't pull it from there:

• 02 - high school OC
  • 03-06 - head coach at high school + semi pro team
  • 07-08 - GA at Washington, working with QBs
  • 09-12 - QB coach in 09 then 3 years as OC at Illinois State
  • 13-16 - OC/QB Coach at Georgia State
  • 17-18 - co-OC and QB coach at Sacramento State
  • 19-21 - Offensive Analyst at A&M
  • 22 - offensive analyst at USC / interim inside WR coach

Spoiler

Luke Huard, who comes from a family of outstanding quarterbacks, joined the USC staff in February of 2022 as an offensive analyst.  In March, he took over as interim inside wide receivers coach while Dave Nichol was away from the program for a personal matter.

Huard, 42, spent the previous 3 seasons (2019-21) as an offensive analyst at Texas A&M.  The Aggies earned berths in the 2019 Texas Bowl, 2021 Orange Bowl and 2021 Gator Bowl.

Before that, he was the co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Sacramento State for 2 seasons (2017-18).  The Hornets averaged 486.0 total yards and 37.6 points (fifth nationally) in 2017 as quarterback Kevin Thomson set several school season records, and then averaged 402.8 total yards in 2018.  

He was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Georgia State for 4 seasons (2013-16).  GSU quarterbacks Ronnie Bell and Nick Arbuckle set numerous school records, including Arbuckle’s Sun Belt records in 2015 for passing yards (4,368) and total offense (4,273).  Arbuckle, who ranked sixth nationally in passing yards per game in 2015, was the Sun Belt’s Student-Athlete of the Year that season.  Nine Georgia State pass catchers earned All-Sun Belt honors during Huard’s tenure.  The Panthers played in the 2015 and 2017 Cure Bowl. 

He was at Illinois State for 4 seasons (2009-12), the first as the quarterbacks coach and then adding the offensive coordinator duties the next 3 years.  In 2012, the Redbirds led the Missouri Valley Football Conference in passing and total offense while scoring more than 30 points per game, and they advanced to the quarterfinals of the FCS playoffs.  Quarterback Matt Brown was a 3-time All-Conference selection, and was the 2009 MVFC Newcomer of the Year and 2012 MVFC Offensive Player of the Year.

Huard was a graduate assistant at Washington in 2007 and 2008, working with the quarterbacks.  Quarterback Jake Locker was the Pac-10 Newcomer of the Year in 2007 (he went on to be an NFL first round pick).

Huard started his coaching career in 2002 as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Washington High in Tacoma (Wash.).

• Haha 7

I actually liked big Samu as a recruit, but he’s not quite to the level of a Texas or A&M DL recruit right now given the way they’re recruiting.  He dominated at the few camps he was at and can move extremely well for his size. 

He would have done well to commit to a Baylor, TCU, SMU type school back before the season. If his CU offer is legitimate he should take that, because I don’t think he sees the field at Aggy, unless that room decides to portal out like LB did.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, NoName said:

There was a lot of smoke yesterday about Hicks signing elsewhere.  Has that been shut down?

3 minutes ago, nnm said:

There was a lot of smoke yesterday about Hicks signing elsewhere.  Has that been shut down?

I'm not sure I'd say there was "smoke" of Hicks signing elsewhere, just lots of speculation, and some of it by me. And I based my speculation entirely on Oregon's late performance of flipping dudes, and the fact that Hicks has visited Eugene a ton in the last few months. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure I'd say there was "smoke" of Hicks signing elsewhere, just lots of speculation, and some of it by me. And I based my speculation entirely on Oregon's late performance of flipping dudes, and the fact that Hicks has visited Eugene a ton in the last few months. 

don't remember who was posting but someone was talking about how Hicks was defending Bowen on IG flipping to Oregon yesterday at one point

1 minute ago, NoName said:

don't remember who was posting but someone was talking about how Hicks was defending Bowen on IG flipping to Oregon yesterday at one point

Yup. That was a thing. But when someone says Smoke I think more specifically of 995ers mentioning shit on twitter or other posts on their websites. I don't remember a lot of that, just us folks reading tea leaves and trying to will it into existence. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, we can hope.  From my purely uninformed point of view, it seems like he could easily get OrU to match whatever the aggy bag/NIL pitch is, and be part of a much better program, with much less downside.  

Edited by nnm

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

amazing.

Coaching Career from USC website, he doesn't have a wiki so can't pull it from there:

• 02 - high school OC
  • 03-06 - head coach at high school + semi pro team
  • 07-08 - GA at Washington, working with QBs
  • 09-12 - QB coach in 09 then 3 years as OC at Illinois State
  • 13-16 - OC/QB Coach at Georgia State
  • 17-18 - co-OC and QB coach at Sacramento State
  • 19-21 - Offensive Analyst at A&M
  • 22 - offensive analyst at USC / interim inside WR coach

Hide contents

Luke Huard, who comes from a family of outstanding quarterbacks, joined the USC staff in February of 2022 as an offensive analyst.  In March, he took over as interim inside wide receivers coach while Dave Nichol was away from the program for a personal matter.

Huard, 42, spent the previous 3 seasons (2019-21) as an offensive analyst at Texas A&M.  The Aggies earned berths in the 2019 Texas Bowl, 2021 Orange Bowl and 2021 Gator Bowl.

Before that, he was the co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Sacramento State for 2 seasons (2017-18).  The Hornets averaged 486.0 total yards and 37.6 points (fifth nationally) in 2017 as quarterback Kevin Thomson set several school season records, and then averaged 402.8 total yards in 2018.  

He was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Georgia State for 4 seasons (2013-16).  GSU quarterbacks Ronnie Bell and Nick Arbuckle set numerous school records, including Arbuckle’s Sun Belt records in 2015 for passing yards (4,368) and total offense (4,273).  Arbuckle, who ranked sixth nationally in passing yards per game in 2015, was the Sun Belt’s Student-Athlete of the Year that season.  Nine Georgia State pass catchers earned All-Sun Belt honors during Huard’s tenure.  The Panthers played in the 2015 and 2017 Cure Bowl. 

He was at Illinois State for 4 seasons (2009-12), the first as the quarterbacks coach and then adding the offensive coordinator duties the next 3 years.  In 2012, the Redbirds led the Missouri Valley Football Conference in passing and total offense while scoring more than 30 points per game, and they advanced to the quarterfinals of the FCS playoffs.  Quarterback Matt Brown was a 3-time All-Conference selection, and was the 2009 MVFC Newcomer of the Year and 2012 MVFC Offensive Player of the Year.

Huard was a graduate assistant at Washington in 2007 and 2008, working with the quarterbacks.  Quarterback Jake Locker was the Pac-10 Newcomer of the Year in 2007 (he went on to be an NFL first round pick).

Huard started his coaching career in 2002 as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Washington High in Tacoma (Wash.).

I mean, that's the resume of someone you maybe hire as a wr coach or tag them with a co-offensive coordinator title if you really want them. Without knowing his body of work, you could easily argue that Drew Mehringer, Shawn Watson or Andre Coleman have better resumes.  They all were offensive coordinators at the fbs level and/or multiyear coordinators.  Would love for this to be true but I'm guessing it's just to set the floor to make another less shitty hire seem okay.   Then again, Aggy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

OU: Oklahoma

UO: Oregon

just like

KU: Kansas

UK: Kentucky

Yes, I've picked up the habit from trying to differentiate USCal/USCar (I know, USCw/USCe); tOSU/OkSU, etc.  Thanks.

Edited by nnm

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

hey at least Gilbert ran an interesting offense and had called plays in the last FOUR years! last time he called plays was for Sac State in 2018!

I think this is all kind of the point, though.

Anyone who has been an oc is going to demand play calling responsibilities.  Jimbo doesn't want that.

So what do you do?  You hire a position coach, announce you're elevating them to OC, and behind the scenes tell them Jimbo is calling the plays but you still get the paycheck.

They were never going to get a proven OC in this role because Jimbo has never intended to give up play calling.  He's checking a box demanded by the $ guys in the most transparently disingenuous way possible.

Get ready for Jimbo to explain that he's still holding his massive binder of plays on the sideline next season so he can provide "input" on the offensive calls, because that is definitely going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It's funny - Huard actually has an interesting resume (certainly moreso than some of the other old farts who have been rumored) and probably could bring some valuable ideas to that staff in the right situation.  But if he's being pitched as the PLAY CALLING SAVIOR then it's obvious it's all a bullshit lie and the offense will be no different than last year with Jimbo still calling the shots.

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, Acropora said:

I mean, that's the resume of someone you maybe hire as a wr coach or tag them with a co-offensive coordinator title if you really want them. Without knowing his body of work, you could easily argue that Drew Mehringer, Shawn Watson or Andre Coleman have better resumes.  They all were offensive coordinators at the fbs level and/or multiyear coordinators.  Would love for this to be true but I'm guessing it's just to set the floor to make another less shitty hire seem okay.   Then again, Aggy.  

Shudder GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It's funny - Huard actually has an interesting resume (certainly moreso than some of the other old farts who have been rumored) and probably could bring some valuable ideas to that staff in the right situation.  But if he's being pitched as the PLAY CALLING SAVIOR then it's obvious it's all a bullshit lie and the offense will be no different than last year with Jimbo still calling the shots.

Interesting resume? During George W. Bush's presidency, he was a GA on the P5 level. 15 years later, he's managed to move all the way up to an analyst position at the same level. If aggy is patient, by 2038 he may have some actual P5 coordinating experience under his belt. But maybe not. Hard to look at that resume and even figure out if he's going backwards or forwards. In 2009 he was an OC at Illinois State. 10 years later and he's Co-OC at Sacramento State. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting resume? During George W. Bush's presidency, he was a GA on the P5 level. 15 years later, he's managed to move all the way up to an analyst position at the same level. If aggy is patient, by 2038 he may have some actual P5 coordinating experience under his belt. But maybe not. Hard to look at that resume and even figure out if he's going backwards or forwards. In 2009 he was an OC at Illinois State. 10 years later and he's Co-OC at Sacramento State. 

Well, when you put it like that…
  • Haha 1