Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

Some outstanding offseason staff management by Jimbo.  Whoop!

image.thumb.png.4abb258871ff1f5252f9ee968d887f88.png

image.thumb.png.0efb48b247869129fab928203c52eb1b.png

The complete Tarp piece.

Some A&M staff notes (VIP)

Tarp

Spoiler

Some A&M staff notes (VIP)

Tarp

Texas A&M’s coaching staff probably won’t change that much from what we saw during the 2022 season. However, keep in mind that the late signing day is still a few weeks off and that most staffs are going to remain publicly intact for recruiting. There could be a couple of new hires at the most.

The big addition will be former Arkansas and Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino as offensive coordinator. He’ll be installing his offense (which doesn’t vary much in the details from what head coach Jimbo Fisher ran except that he tends to spread the field more) and he’ll be the play caller.

If you’re going to pass judgement on Petrino’s hire, I wrote a while back that no matter how vulnerable a head coach’s security was in Aggieland, they were always allowed to select the coordinators that worked under them. Personally, I think it’s a bad idea to dictate coaching personnel to a head coach because it’s pretty easy to create bad chemistry (and eventually reduced productivity) on a staff that needs to work together to accomplish its goals.

If you don’t like the head coach, terminate them. Otherwise, if you’re going to keep them, then allow them to make decisions and live or die with the consequences.

Petrino and Fisher are friends who have a decades long relationship in terms of exchanging ideas on a professional level in the off season. They share similar philosophies and have coached at the same schools at different times and also against each other dating back to when both were in the SEC in the early 2000’s.

Dameyune Craig was moved from coaching the wideouts to the quarterbacks prior to fall camp last year and as of right now he doesn’t have a designated position. We’ll see if A&M has anything for him going forward.

Receivers’ coach James Coley will remain the co-offensive coordinator. He’ll continue to be someone that’s heavily involved in game planning and on the headset during games as well as being someone who’s considered to be a high end recruiter. Coley was also well received as a position coach by the players during his first year of coaching the wideouts. In addition, Coley has an extensive background in the West Coast offense that A&M will continue to run (with some spread principles mixed in more than what you’ve seen in the past).

Understand that most staffs work together to produce game plans and Petrino is a big believer in that. He noted in an old lecture that I have that it has to be everyone’s offense on Sundays and Mondays so that there is no second guessing by everyone on that side of the ball on Saturdays after a game. We have been told to expect that to continue in Aggieland.

The only other person that we have been told that A&M has talked to is USC inside receivers’ coach Luke Huard. He was previously mentioned last month in reports as someone who could get a shot at being an offensive coordinator but in all likelihood if he ever came on board to A&M it would be in terms of working with receivers. The Aggies were always working higher profile guys like Garrett Riley for the offensive coordinator spot before eventually going back around to Petrino this month.

There’s also nothing that we have heard about the defensive side either except that Florida State made a run at cornerbacks’ coach TJ Rushing (he previously worked under FSU boss Mike Norvell at Memphis). However, Rushing is reportedly staying for right now.

• Haha 9

I had the same thought. It's spin. 

And it would be hilarious is lil' Petrino was hired. Imagine the leverage Bobby must have had.

"I love you, Jimbo. You know that, but, you know, you kind of dumped me. Now you're crawling back? You can't find anyone else? Imagine how good those Aggies will be with a Fisher and two Petrinos!"

53 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Well, look at this boy right here. 

It look like Bobby Petrino is going to fit in just fine in College Station. He apparently fucked a big fat sheep 36 years ago.

I can't wait for Craig to get moved to TE coach so lil Petrino can take his spot. Three different positions in 3 years, but clearly the guy is a huge asset. I wonder what for?

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Fmx4ZuIXEAYvxsi?format=jpg&name=mediumFmx4aM-WAAIkT2U?format=jpg&name=medium

Translation from Liucci-speak to non-spinning English:

Texas A&M has hit a dry well when it comes to being able to do what it takes to fund NIL properly with the transfer portal. Also, players have no real interest in transferring to a program that looks like it is terminally ill under current management. Also also, holy shit ATM is going to have major roster holes in 2023, even if they don't suffer more transfer carnage, which they very well might in the May period. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Also also, holy shit ATM is going to have major roster holes in 2023, even if they don't suffer more transfer carnage, which they very well might in the May period. 

Probably at least a 20% chance Petrino resigns to take a job elsewhere after he sees the roster damage after May. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Probably at least a 20% chance Petrino resigns to take a job elsewhere after he sees the roster damage after May. 

I think with all the heat that goes with Petrino, that Rubber Ball Bobby will attempt to stay as long as possible to repair some of the damage bouncing has done to his reputation.  That being said I think he's gone by the 4th game for one reason....or another. 

Well, I have to say that I only give the lulz of the aggy off-season a B+. 
They lost 24 guys to the portal but they were all depth pieces and “they knew this was coming” about all of them. 
they hired a coaching retread that’s a major Ass joke that they originally lost out on to UNLV, which is pretty funny, but there is probably a funnier situation that could have presented itself. 
it was nice though that they only got like two portal transfers and they are both bread (but formerly highly ranked bread). 
To get an A for maximum lulz I would have needed to see Weigman or Stewart transfer or perhaps another extension for Jimbo. Aggy is running a clown show over there but I was hoping for them to scrape the bottom of the barrel and I don’t think they quite got there. Good job/good effort by them 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They lost 24 guys to the portal but they were all depth pieces and “they knew this was coming” about all of them. 
they hired a coaching retread that’s a major Ass joke that they originally lost out on to UNLV, which is pretty funny, but there is probably a funnier situation that could have presented itself. 
it was nice though that they only got like two portal transfers and they are both bread (but formerly highly ranked bread). 
To get an A for maximum lulz I would have needed to see Weigman or Stewart transfer or perhaps another extension for Jimbo. Aggy is running a clown show over there but I was hoping for them to scrape the bottom of the barrel and I don’t think they quite got there. Good job/good effort by them 

There was a funnier potential OC situation than Bobby Petrino? I mean maaaaybe elevating Craig but still.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I found it interesting that Liucci 44 admitted that they would have fired Jimbo after this season if they could have afforded it. I must have missed where he admitted that previously because that seems like a big admission on his end. (Though we all know he would have been fired without that contract).  For or better or worse, and that would be worse in this instance, the contract served its intended purpose; they cant afford to fire him, and Jimbo would be an idiot to walk. 

Eventually when they get to a place where the termination isn't as cost prohibitive, they still have to shell that out plus the rest of the coaching staff and good luck funding NIL/Transfer Portal when you have to cut out checks for tens of millions on the staff. 

From an aggie perspective - I'm sure they bought into wholesale offensive changes, a shiny new staff, a dozen plus transfers incoming etc. They got none of those things. I'd grade that a D, and thats only because they were able to fund their bigger dogs on campus sticking around for another semester. 

• Like 1