Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I didn't realize that SHSU's QB from the last couple of years decided not to return.  Looks like they brought in a QB from Georgia Tech that started the first half of the season for them last year.

Yeah, Schmid deciding to enter the draft was a bit of a kick in the dick.

7 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Does Saban's message and the follow-up damage control cause any problems for Bama recruiting, or is this lost in the news in a couple of months?

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Wait, the rubes think Alabama is in need of damage control and that this episode might hurt Bama's recruiting?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I looked up a preview of them and info on starters from ourlads.

On offense the QB returns, all the RB's, starting TE, and 4/5 OL and most of the OL guys are multi-year starters.  Not much WR production returning.

Defensively NT returns and he's pretty good and 3/4 of LB's.  1 CB and 1 S returns as well.  Doesn't appear they'll have much depth/size up front other than the NT.

Well, hey, it looks like App State has a better chance than I figured. Good to know. 

Spoiler

Billy, you live for this kinda stuff. How fired up and excited were you after you watched Jimbo's presser?? 

Well, I was on a plane to Chicago and knew all hell was likely to break loose as soon as I heard Saban's comments the night before. Jimbo wasn't about to take that crap lying down. I've seen a few try to call it unprofessional and act appalled that A&M would hold a formal presser in order for the head coach to reply, but those folks can miss me with that bullshit. 

When the most visible head coach in the sport calls you out and essentially says you and your program are cheating, I don't give a damn what anyone on the outside thinks, it's time to respond and to respond with as much force as you deem necessary. And that's the second time a coach in the SEC has straight-up accused Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M of cheating. I'm glad Fisher took a blowtorch to his hypocritical ass.

Any word on what the other coaches on campus thought of Jimbo's press conference? 

I've spoken to a few since Thursday, and they all loved it. The reaction wasn't at all dissimilar to what you saw on TexAgs. Love seeing coaches like Buzz and Jimbo not put up with shit and defend their players, school, and programs.

How many commitments do you expect to see in June? 

Possibly as many as a half dozen or so.

In the 10/08 game, how fiery does it get, and does Jimbo swing? 

My gut tells me the two coaches will talk at midfield as they always have in the past, but as I sit here today, it's tough to imagine those two engaging in small talk. Hell, they could go at it again right there at the 50-yard line at Bryant-Denny. That matchup is going to be HEATED, and I love it.

What kind of message does Jimbo's press conference send to recruits, his players and parents, and what is the overall impact? 

Well first off, once again, it's Texas A&M and Alabama in the middle of the national news. Just like the last offseason, it's Jimbo Fisher and Nick Saban. All that does is help A&M remain in the spotlight and front and center in the minds of recruits across the state and country. 

2020: A&M, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Notre Dame for six weeks of playoff debate. Top-five finish alongside those same teams. The 2021 offseason build-up included Jimbo-Nick round one, plus all of the talk centering around whether or not A&M could knock Alabama off. Ags also spent that offseason (and this one) as a preseason top-10 team knocking on the top five. Mix in the unforgettable win over Alabama and now the nation's No. 1 class, one that blew past Bama and Georgia, and you've got a group of '23 recruits who have been accustomed to hearing Texas A&M mentioned among the elite. 

I know that will rub the '1939' and 'you went 8-4' crowd the wrong way, but that's the truth. Another fact is that recruits don't quite see things the same as rival fan bases or some blatantly biased media types when it comes to this stuff.

The message it sends? The head coach has your son's back, he's going to defend his players and that Texas A&M isn't going anywhere and won't back down to anyone.

Does Saban's message and the follow-up damage control cause any problems for Bama recruiting, or is this lost in the news in a couple of months?

Nah, I don't think it's going to hurt Alabama's recruiting efforts at all. If anything, Saban was saying all of that specifically to get that group of donors fired up and panicking to the point that they'll rally and step up with big-time money to do exactly what he was accusing A&M of doing. That was part of the hypocrisy of the entire speech.

Thanks for doing these brother. Appreciate you taking the time. 

Always!

Did anybody from the athletic department try to talk Jimbo out of doing the press conference or give him parameters before the press conference?

Doubtful. I don't think anyone was going to convince Jimbo to take a beat and regroup after Saban pulled that level of a stunt. Jimbo was going to do what Jimbo wanted to do at that point, just like Saban, Dabo or Ryan Day would have done.

You mentioned that this has been brewing..... have you heard anything specific during this past cycle that "God" has said about A&M, Jimbo, or our program via recruits or other coaches? 

I've heard a lot over the years when it comes to Nick Saban and his thoughts on Texas A&M and what type of threat they are. Since Fisher's arrival in Aggieland, things have escalated significantly in terms of the powers that be in T-Town considering the Aggies a viable threat. 

Already this cycle, I have it on excellent authority that Nick Saban and the Alabama staff have spent a LOT of time dragging A&M through the mud and negative recruiting the Maroon & White, to the point that several prospects have returned home to Texas and made sure the Aggie staff was aware of what was being said. They're spending a lot more time in Tuscaloosa on those visits trying to work over Fisher and A&M than they are even Georgia or LSU.

Do Saban's remarks hurt him on the recruiting trail?

I don't imagine they will, no.

Can Olin please ask the following question to Jimbo next presser? "Will you beat Saban's ass this year? 

Well after Olin got called out by Pat McAfee, he'd better get whatever question he has out in short order!!! That was hilarious, btw. I have a feeling things will calm down on the Fisher/Saban front for a while now and just simmer until October 8.

Most media I've seen are quick to claim that Saban's comments were "calculated." Curious about your thoughts on this and if so what was he trying to accomplish and what did he actually accomplish? 

I think first and foremost, the man is simply a sore loser. Period. He's an adult jackass. Was probably an arrogant jackass when he was younger and is now an adult jackass. Leopard doesn't change its spots. He's a sore loser, and he lost to Jimbo and A&M on the field, then lost to Kirby in the title game, and then lost in the recruiting race. 

Beyond that, however, I do believe Saban was trying to scare a sense of urgency into the Alabama folks in attendance at the speaking event and in no uncertain terms send the message that they need to do a better job than they've been doing. He's also trying to shine as bright a light as possible on Jimbo and the Aggies because the guy is believing what he's hearing out there regarding A&M and NIL. 

Of course, he's going to believe it because, if it's true, it explains away how Alabama lost several big-time players to the Aggies in 2022. At the end of the day, Saban doesn't want competition or parity when it comes to him being able to get virtually every player he wants while keeping his dynasty rolling, and that's especially true at a time when he knows he doesn't have too many years left coaching. 

And don't get it twisted, he's also wanting his very pointed statement to lead to Fisher and the Aggies feeling the pressure and need to dial back whatever he thinks is going on in College Station, and that was his way to shining a very bright, very negative light on the Ags.

When does Tony Mitchell‍ commit? 

I still think that one has some time until he makes an announcement, but his A&M OV is set, and the Ags are still in a pretty damn good spot here. Again, as I say with all of these OOS five-stars, the competition is going to be VERY tough, which means a roller coaster ride at times to his announcement. But as of today, I'd rather be in A&M's spot than anyone else's.

When does Jimbo finally take Nick's call? Personally, if it was me? Never. 

I don't think things smooth over for a while. I think that bad blood will last until at least Saban is retired if not both of them. While he's at it, Jimbo may as well reply to Steve Spurrier's tired ass, as well. The Old Ball Coach just couldn't help getting a dig at the former Florida State Seminole boss, now could he?

It's pretty clear Fisher was pissed, and he articulated the reasons why well. Aside from taking offense on behalf of the players, recruiting staff and the university at large, this was clearly personal to him. If you rewind the tape 12 months, Saban and Jimbo were jawing in the media, but it seemed like it was coming from a place of friendly — if fierce — professional competition.

By all appearances, the two seemed like friends (to the extent anyone seems like Saban's friend). I know you can't speak as Jimbo, but how much of what we heard do you think came from that personal relationship between the two? 

Make no mistake, that was very personal. Look, I'll be as blunt as I can here and say that response wasn't something that came out of nowhere after Jimbo heard Nick's comments. That's been a while in the making. 

Last summer, last year's game, Saban running down Fisher and the Ags on the recruiting trail, a series of hotly-contested recruitments, Alabama attempting to poach one of the Ags' best-returning players during the off-season...the list goes on and also included a couple of other snide, condescending remarks from Nick aimed at Fisher and the Ags along the way.

How do you think the national perception of Jimbo and A&M has changed over the last few days? 

I think folks loved the drama and shock of seeing someone in college football — and someone who has some real juice and is a big name — go after Saban like that. I just think folks were reminded that Jimbo isn't going to back down from a fight in case they'd forgotten. With that said, no one is changing their mind either way when it comes to how A&M signed the No. 1 class of all time. They'll believe what they're going to believe.

Have you heard any comments about this from within the TXHSFB coaching ranks? Watching Jimbo go to bat for his players had me fired up. 

Not really. I've had a couple reach out, mainly laughing or fired up about it and some asking some of the same questions you guys are (the background and build-up, etc).

What are our chances with the other top Alabama recruits Peter Woods‍ and Jaquavious Russaw‍? 

Russaw is going to take some work, but the Ags are more in the hunt there than many believe. Worth keeping a very close eye on. Mitchell is still the most likely from the Tide's home state, however.

Who do you think we sign on the OL this year?

I'm betting we see a couple of OOS additions, with the most likely being Micah Banuelos‍. In-state, I still love the Ags' chances with TJ Shanahan‍ and Harris Sewell‍. Five is the number.

I'm following up on this question with another question. Why do some members of the media seem so hell-bent on gaslighting to defend everything Nick Saban says? "Oh, he didn't really say what you think he said." 

I think it's obvious. It's just the path of least resistance. It's easier to side with the guy who wins all the championships and who has made a career of being a complete jackass to the media. 

Over time, he's turned most of them into ass-kissing yes-men and Saban fanboys.

Any portal targets we should know about? I'm assuming we'll go after the grad transfer market. 

Not at this point in time, no. I'll let you guys know if and when that changes, but the Ags really only have one spot.

Will we become the bad boy of College Football, aka Miami Canes, once upon a time?

If A&M wins a championship with this class, there will be a hell of a lot of folks around the country who will absolutely HATE to see it happen. Unless it's A&M-Alabama (could you imagine THAT), I'd be willing to bet most outside of College Station will be rooting against A&M ‘buying a championship’ in their warped reality. 

Imagine the hypocrisy or naivete, to feel that way when A&M won it but not when Kansas, UNC, Kentucky or Duke win one in hoops or when Saban and Dabo or Kirby or LSU get it done in football. Incredible.

Would you say that this year's team has what it takes to beat Bama on the road and make a statement? 

I'd have to wait and see who's playing quarterback for the Aggies and how he fares from mid-September to early October, but yes, I do think they'll be good enough that they should have a shot. Still, let's not lose sight of the fact that this year's Alabama team should be the clear-cut best in college football when things open up coming out of August.

Billy thanks for all you and TexAgs does for our fan base. There really is no comparable "board" for another school anywhere by a large margin.

Really appreciate that. I'm always going to go to bat for our Aggies when necessary.

In your opinion, if Jimbo/A&M doesn't respond at all or in a very PC way to Saban's comments does Sankey still reprimand the czar? 

No chance in hell. Zero chance.

Would you say we have three rivalries now, Bama, LSU, and t.u.? 

Fair to say, yes. The Alabama/A&M rivalry has a real chance to heat up in the same way Alabama/LSU did a little more than a decade ago.

Do you think Jimbo throat punches Saban at media days? 

Shoot, I'd be more interested to see what happens at the SEC meetings in Destin next week.

Does Saban sleep in Cinderella's Castle when he goes to Disney World with his grandkids?

Didn't even know that place existed.

Does paw tuck him in? 

That's probably Legend's job.

Do you think Bobby Burton is going to "come out" in the near future or are you hearing that will be later in the fall?

I'm ignoring part of the question but taking it in a more serious direction. What I'd be interested in is finding out whether or not he's a primary player in the Texas collective. Perfectly legal but would be interesting to know, regardless.

Prediction on the game and gameday environment at Alabama? 

Whatever a 10 is, this will be bigger. If A&M navigates what I think is one of the toughest first five games in the nation (Sam Houston, App State, Miami, Arkansas at Jerryworld and at Mississippi State) and rolls into T-Town unbeaten? It'll be the biggest game played there since the '19 showdown with LSU.

Do you believe we can get any quotes/reactions from future recruits/current players on Jimbo's presser yesterday? 

I'd like to have Howell and Brauny ask around in some of their upcoming interviews for sure. Will be interested to hear the reaction.

Provide some known examples of Alabama cheating on the recruiting trail, please...

Are you a Alabama fan infiltrating my Q&A thread or what? Did Saban or Lane Kiffin provide any known examples of Texas A&M cheating on the recruiting trail? Because they sure as hell have levied the accusations.

While you're here, one I know of since Fisher arrived at A&M is a big-time (high-four star) prospect choosing between A&M and Alabama. On his official visit, no less, a then-Alabama assistant (a notorious cheater at every stop, mind you) texted said player and told him — in writing — point-blank, "Whatever A&M is paying, we'll double it." Ballsy move. The prospect chose A&M. Before NIL. Go figure.

You've said we need to get better at NIL. Stacked is certainly one way to do it and thanks for putting that together. How else would you approach that issue? Do we need a public website with a shopping cart and a catchy name like the Tech deal I saw elsewhere on boards?

Not sure exactly, as I've been up to ears with the new things we're doing at TexAgs, but hopefully, the right people at A&M are watching what's going on around the country. If and when there are great ideas, I'd like to think the powers that be on the NIL side of things away from athletics and the university can move swiftly in that space and adjust/improve when the opportunity presents itself.

How does someone give $1000 or $5000 if they don't know any big money Ags in the "collective" Surely there's some pent-up supply out there right?

So there's this little thing called 'Stacked'...

Thanks for working on your time off. Would a thought you'd be "safe" in late May. Lol. 

I learned right about the time I was working my way through a Cabo trip on back-to-back summers in '10 and '11 that Texas A&M going to the SEC meant 'time off' was always going to be a moving target.

Who do you see right now as the true over-the-top guys that Jimbo can use to elevate his offense? What is the attitude of the players as they prepare for fall camp? 

The attitude was excellent coming out of spring, but I can only imagine that's going to go up a notch when they return next week following this dust-up with Jimbo and Saban. I also think the newcomers plus all of the guys returning who missed spring ball are going to really lead to a noticeable spike in the competition levels at several spots, not to mention bring a jolt of energy and excitement.

Which freshman (who we won head-to-head with Bama) makes the big play and makes Saban's head explode? 

Well, the ones that would probably drive him the craziest would be Anthony Lucas‍ , LeVeon Moss, Denver Harris‍, Shemar Stewart‍, Evan Stewart‍ or Chris Marshall‍. 

If Saban was on fire would Jimbo bother peeing on him to put it out or just let him burn? I'm going with option two. 

You know what's hilarious about this question? About 20 years ago when Nick took the job at LSU (and not a single assistant opted to join him on the plane from East Lansing to Baton Rouge, I knew a coach who Saban offered a job. That coach told me that one of his closest and most respected friends in the profession said, "If he was on fire, I wouldn't piss on him to put it out." After hearing that, said coach remained where he was at.

You said a few times you thought our three permeant rivals would be LSU, sips, and MSU. Why no Arkansas? 

Just haven't heard the Hogs mentioned at all when it comes to A&M and how the 'permanent rival' thing shakes out.

Have you ever asked any Bama boosters about "The Machine" and what it is exactly they do? 

No, I haven't ever asked about it, but I'm not naive enough to think for a second that Saban hasn't been buying players since his days at Michigan State and especially going back to LSU and now Alabama.

Over/under on how many rounds Saban would last against Jimbo? (Using regulation weight boxing gloves). 

First off, he's a lot older. Second, he'd be out of there in round one unless he took some time off and trained in Alabama with Deontay Wilder...

14 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I looked up a preview of them and info on starters from ourlads.

On offense the QB returns, all the RB's, starting TE, and 4/5 OL and most of the OL guys are multi-year starters.  Not much WR production returning.

Defensively NT returns and he's pretty good and 3/4 of LB's.  1 CB and 1 S returns as well.  Doesn't appear they'll have much depth/size up front other than the NT.

App St is at #61 in Bill C's returning production (taking into consideration transfers, etc - updated 4/28/22) @ 78%, just above the avg of 75.8%

16 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yes... this is one of the toughest first five games in the nation -- an FCS team at home, App State at home, the U coming off a 7-5 record with a brand new coach also at home, neutral site against Arkansas, and at MSU coming off a 7-6 season that ended with a 34-7 ass beating against Texas Tech in their bowl game. Arkansas will probably be ranked if they get past Cincinnati in week 1 and maybe Miami will be too if it trounces its two cupcake warm up games, but that isn't exactly murderers row.

returning prod:

• App St: #61 (78%)
  • Miami: #14 (91%)
  • Ark: #79 (74%)
  • Miss St: #59 (78%)

Anything short of an undefeated record going into the Bama game is a failure.

someone needs to update this to show him looking through the binos and Bama coming at him lol

200.gif

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Hahaha.  Whoever is telling him what to say sure is taking a long time to come up with the “real” reason he dropped out of the game.  

That's what I don't get, there is an easy reason, the game is the day after freshman check-in. 

18 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

And that's the second time a coach in the SEC has straight-up accused Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M of cheating. I'm glad Fisher took a blowtorch to his hypocritical ass.

Ha, ha. Perhaps he should have gone with lying instead of hypocritical.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Aggy is going to be big mad that Jimbo is 4th, but I think it’s fair. Kelly has led teams to the playoffs. Kirby just won a national title. Saban is the GOAT. 

it isnt fair. Stoops has done a way better job than JImbo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Jimbo to high.  In year four couldn't beat 2nd year coaches Pittman, Kiffin, or Leach.

20220620-141610.jpg

Agree, I would definitely have Pittman and Kiffin above Jimbo. Stoops is a coin flip based on what he has done with less. Kelly is too high as well at this point in his tenure. He should be in the back with Napier. 

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Agree, I would definitely have Pittman and Kiffin above Jimbo. Stoops is a coin flip based on what he has done with less. Kelly is too high as well at this point in his tenure. He should be in the back with Napier. 

No idea how LSU and Kelly works out, but saying you want a guy with 5 straight 10 win season to be ranked around 10/11 in the SEC is insane. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Hmmm yea idk somehow I don’t think some random CA QB is going to have the same impact?

Malik didn't really move the needle with in state recruits last cycle and he ended up winning a state title. This is just wishful thinking as per usual. 

Question on Weigman:  If he's the supposed savior for Jimbo, does baseball impact him being the QB?  I know he went through spring football this year, but what happens next spring when he may be in a battle for QB, but is playing baseball?  Wouldn't he miss a lot, if not all, of spring football?

Jason Howell

Staff

* Arch Manning to Austin was not surprising and it doesn't really change things for the Aggies - Sark and Co deserve a pat on the back for the Arch Manning commitment. Regardless of the thoughts about his ranking or ability, he is as high profile a prospect as there is in the country from one of the most high profile football families in the country who plays the most high profile position and they beat Georgia and Alabama for him. It is a big deal and it does give the Horns a lot of momentum. However, it was not unexpected or surprising and it really does not affect Texas A&M's recruiting. Believe it or not the Aggies have been and continue to be in great shape with several top prospects both in Texas and across the country. That's not changing because a high profile QB who A&M never pursued and who had Texas at or near the top of his list for over a year now actually committed to the Longhorns. Now, get ready because I do expect Sark and his crew to land a few top recruits this weekend - they might actually win a few head-to-heads over A&M - but remember it is still June and I fully expect Texas A&M to get theirs.

*You want some names, I'll give you some names - here's five high profile prospects I have liked and continue to like Texas A&M's position.

WR Hykeem Williams

OL TJ Shanahan

DL David Hicks

LB Anthony Hill

CB Tony Mitchell

Here's five more

DT Sydir Mitchell Jr.

Edge Chandavian Bradley

LB Derion Gullette

CB Malik Muhammad

CB Javien Toviano

*Some thoughts

-Just because I left one of your favorite targets out of the names I mentioned above does not mean the Aggies are in bad shape or that he is on commit watch to Texas

-I don't know who's next and I don't know when next will happen

-I did expect June to be more eventful commitment-wise

-Yes, I do expect the Aggies to put together a top quality class

-No, I do not know what's going to happen at QB but I do believe Austin Novosad will get an offer

-Yes, I think Novosad is a real deal player

-Honestly, I have never had much optimism for Texas A&M when it came to Jaden Rashada or Dante Moore

-Outside of QB, OL recruiting is my biggest mystery this cycle, but I do like the options.

-I am still optimistic about Texas A&M's chances with Harris Sewell. Yes, Clemson is a very real player but so is Texas A&M.

- Samson Okunlola is a very long shot

-Yes, I still think Rueben Owens eventually takes more visits

-I currently still like the chances WR Adam Hopkins ends up in Texas A&M's class

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Jason Howell

Staff

* Arch Manning to Austin was not surprising and it doesn't really change things for the Aggies - Sark and Co deserve a pat on the back for the Arch Manning commitment. Regardless of the thoughts about his ranking or ability, he is as high profile a prospect as there is in the country from one of the most high profile football families in the country who plays the most high profile position and they beat Georgia and Alabama for him.

That is one hell of a run-on sentence.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I posted in the other thread, but who are they pushing for at OL?  Sewell has been getting Clemson picks and Shanahan looks like Georgia.  They are just spewing the usual BS of not pushing for Stroh if he commits to Texas.

These guys have taken OV's already and are listed with offers on 247.

https://247sports.com/player/micah-banuelos-46115029/

https://247sports.com/player/landen-hatchett-46094764/

https://247sports.com/player/kelton-smith-46109991/

https://247sports.com/player/jaydon-chatman-46125604/

• Hook 'Em 1