Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Liucci: Getting Lincoln Riley wasn't realistic, so we went out and got the next best thing.

Aggy: Their OC?

Liucci: No

Aggy: Their QB Coach?

Aggy: Their OL Coach?

Liucci: No, way better

Aggy: Uh.. their WR coach?

Liucci: No.. their INSIDE WR coach. Most critical position on that coaching staff. Riley was beside himself, but Jimbo wouldn't be denied. 

And he was only their INSIDE WR coach because the other coach had personal issues that caused him to miss the season.

54 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Liucci: Getting Lincoln Riley wasn't realistic, so we went out and got the next best thing.

Aggy: Their OC?

Aggy: Their QB Coach?

Aggy: Their OL Coach?

Liucci: No, way better

Aggy: Uh.. their WR coach?

Liucci: No.. their INSIDE WR coach. Most critical position on that coaching staff. Riley was beside himself, but Jimbo wouldn't be denied. 

Sunshine pumper: he’s assistant offensive coordinator?

Liucci: no, he’s an assistant to the offensive coordinator

• Haha 3

Ok, here’s a counterpoint on this potential hire.

Texas has watched that damn OU offense put major points on the board since 2000. All that time, Texas never went out and copied it.

Even though people claimed the OU offense wasn’t robust enough to win a title post-2000, it’s really been the defense that has always been the major flaw to OU’s success. 

Maybe this guy allows them to steal that offense. 

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Texas has watched that damn OU offense put major points on the board since 2000. All that time, Texas never went out and copied it.

Even though people claimed the OU offense wasn’t robust enough to win a title post-2000, it’s really been the defense that has always been the major flaw to OU’s success. 

Hmm, I could be wrong, but I doubt college football’s offensive wunderkinds (Riley, Kiffin, Sark, etc) divulge the intricacies of their system to the entire staff. Plus, even if an assistant stole the full playbook, they probably wouldn’t be able to replicate it successfully. A lot of the value a guy like Lincoln Riley provides is in game planning, situational play calling and adapting the scheme year-over-year.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So your theory is that Jimbo Fisher is going to replace his proprietary blend of bullshit with offensive philosophy taught secondhand through a guy who hasn't received a merit based promotion since 2010? 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

41 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This is the same logic that has NFL teams screwing up their futures by hiring Belicheck assistants and thinking they are bringing in his system and success. Getting Riley's playbook is easy. There is about 10 years of film on his offense. You dont need to hire his assistant dishwasher to get his playbook. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So your theory is that Jimbo Fisher is going to replace his proprietary blend of bullshit with offensive philosophy taught secondhand through a guy who hasn't received a merit based promotion since 2010? 

Yes. But the way you describe it doesn’t sound quite as enticing. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Haha 7

Hmmm.  For a team that desperately needs a lift from the portal, I can't seem to find aggy anywhere in the team portal rankings.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/TransferTeamRankings/

Currently tied for last ranking in SECX3 teams with zero commitments.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/TransferTeamRankings/?Conference=SEC

Ol' Bilbo playing possum, obviously.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

This sounds a lot like that fan-fiction that LSU fan wrote would happen now that their octogenarian play-caller had Joe Brady's playbook.  How did that work out?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Hmm, I could be wrong, but I doubt college football’s offensive wunderkinds (Riley, Kiffin, Sark, etc) divulge the intricacies of their system to the entire staff. Plus, even if an assistant stole the full playbook, they probably wouldn’t be able to replicate it successfully. A lot of the value a guy like Lincoln Riley provides is in game planning, situational play calling and adapting the scheme year-over-year.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

This is the same logic that has NFL teams screwing up their futures by hiring Belicheck assistants and thinking they are bringing in his system and success. Getting Riley's playbook is easy. There is about 10 years of film on his offense. You dont need to hire his assistant dishwasher to get his playbook. 

Well, the Mike Leach coaching tree, which includes Lincoln Riley, is all over college football at many different schools, so while Riley runs it very well, it’s not freaking rocket surgery.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Well, the Mike Leach coaching tree, which includes Lincoln Riley, is all over college football at many different schools, so while Riley runs it very well, it’s not freaking rocket surgery.

and yet there are so few offensive play callers that are considered elite

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This is way off base. Riley’s offense is drastically different than Leach’s and Leach’s other offshoots. just because he’s part of the Leach coaching tree doesn’t make it the same offense. no one else in the country runs Riley’s offense, because it’s complex and difficult to replicate. Hiring a guy who was selected as an off-field assistant by Riley one year ago to replicate Riley’s offense would never work. And Jimbo would never agree to that big of a change in offensive philosophy anyways. 

Jimbo’s hiring him because he was recently a GA at A&M and Jimbo knows it’s someone who will do what he tells him to. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I think this is all kind of the point, though.

Anyone who has been an oc is going to demand play calling responsibilities.  Jimbo doesn't want that.

So what do you do?  You hire a position coach, announce you're elevating them to OC, and behind the scenes tell them Jimbo is calling the plays but you still get the paycheck.

They were never going to get a proven OC in this role because Jimbo has never intended to give up play calling.  He's checking a box demanded by the $ guys in the most transparently disingenuous way possible.

Get ready for Jimbo to explain that he's still holding his massive binder of plays on the sideline next season so he can provide "input" on the offensive calls, because that is definitely going to happen.

Sir, Bobby Jack Wright is on line 1

49 John Mackovic Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So this Huard guy was an analyst at ATM the past three years, moved to USC's staff in Feb as an off-field guy, then took over inside WRs when that coach had a personal matter. From USC's website:

Luke Huard, who comes from a family of outstanding quarterbacks, joined the USC staff in February of 2022 as an offensive analyst.  In March, he took over as interim inside wide receivers coach while Dave Nichol was away from the program for a personal matter.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

So this Huard guy was an analyst at ATM the past three years, moved to USC's staff in Feb as an off-field guy, then took over inside WRs when that coach had a personal matter. From USC's website:

Luke Huard, who comes from a family of outstanding quarterbacks, joined the USC staff in February of 2022 as an offensive analyst.  In March, he took over as interim inside wide receivers coach while Dave Nichol was away from the program for a personal matter.

So he was making $38K editing film before the lowest level assistant got put on double super secret probation?

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

What happened to Dave Nichol?  Did his girlfriend's monkey bite a kid or something?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Hmmm.  For a team that desperately needs a lift from the portal, I can't seem to find aggy anywhere in the team portal rankings

Jimbo figures that the players on the team who have already announced for the portal won’t actually be picked up or offered by another team…..see how smart Jimbo is?

• Like 1

Luke Huard is former UW/NFL QB and current media personality, Brock Huard's brother. A milquetoast people. 

"I knew eventually there would be pay for play, but I did not know it would be NIL like it came about" - Jimbo Fisher

This is an hilarious admission. "We knew we'd have to pay players, but we never guessed it would be legal". Absolute dumbfuckery, all around. 

• Haha 3

"I knew eventually we'd have to pay these fucking kids. But they all want money and NIL as it's been implemented is too hard to deal with. It's an absolute joke. We are only COLLEGE football!!!" Jimbo said. Just days later his $750,000 monthly salary from TAMU, guaranteed for the next 108 months, would be deposited to the bank account of Jimbo's choice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

48 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is way off base. Riley’s offense is drastically different than Leach’s and Leach’s other offshoots. just because he’s part of the Leach coaching tree doesn’t make it the same offense. no one else in the country runs Riley’s offense, because it’s complex and difficult to replicate. Hiring a guy who was selected as an off-field assistant by Riley one year ago to replicate Riley’s offense would never work. And Jimbo would never agree to that big of a change in offensive philosophy anyways. 

Jimbo’s hiring him because he was recently a GA at A&M and Jimbo knows it’s someone who will do what he tells him to. 

I wasn’t implying that the Riley offense is the same as Leach’s. I was just pointing out that it’s not impossible for an offense to replicate in other places and using the Leach coaching tree as an example.

And while I agree that it would seem unlikely this particular guy could copy Riley’s offense, I still don’t believe there’s any system out there that can’t be copied and evolved. It’s been happening in football since the beginning.

But to the larger question of whether this particular guy being brought to A&M is going to implement the Riley offense, who knows. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

But to the larger question of whether this particular guy being brought to A&M is going to implement the Riley offense, who knows. 

This was my point. I’m not saying it’s impossible to replicate, but a guy who’s only been in it one year who has as unimpressive of a resume as Huard isn’t going to be able to do it successfully. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I wasn’t implying that the Riley offense is the same as Leach’s. I was just pointing out that it’s not impossible for an offense to replicate in other places and using the Leach coaching tree as an example.

And while I agree that it would seem unlikely this particular guy could copy Riley’s offense, I still don’t believe there’s any system out there that can’t be copied and evolved. It’s been happening in football since the beginning.

Ah yes, I remember when we were getting the Briles offense with Sterlin Gilbert. 

• Haha 1