Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

Question for those who might be in the loop:

it sounded earlier in the cycle like programs were going to punish aggy by making sure they didn’t have recruiting success this year. But they’ve been able to allocate enough to get hill and hicks. 
did I misunderstand that schools would find a way to outbid aggy for these super blues?  Not the same school or two schools, but one program overpay for hill and then a different one for hicks, etc. 

I guess I was just wishing for that to be the case, and for aggy to have nothing at the top of the class?

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

it sounded earlier in the cycle like programs were going to punish aggy by making sure they didn’t have recruiting success this year. But they’ve been able to allocate enough to get hill and hicks. 
did I misunderstand that schools would find a way to outbid aggy for these super blues?  Not the same school or two schools, but one program overpay for hill and then a different one for hicks, etc. 

I guess I was just wishing for that to be the case, and for aggy to have nothing at the top of the class?

Would love to know as well. With success teams are having with portal players wouldn't be surprised if that is where more of the ammunition is being directed and if some of the HS talent gets away so be it.

40 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They may blow through their budget for a small number of guys instead of overall

• Hook 'Em 2

I feel like I have already mentioned this multiple times, but yeah, they’re choosing to concentrate spend on a much smaller set of players due to less capital and the rising cost of all of this overnight as well. They broke the market last cycle by throwing $500-$750 at guys who would otherwise get $80-$100. They started that in prior periods, but they went nuts. With NIL, the complicating element is now guys are demanding ongoing payments for years and they’re on the hook for that or they’re losing them. That’s not really anyone else’s problem that didn’t have a high starting point. 

They’ve put large hypothetical offers in front of a few guys that are impossible for someone else to match without also becoming complete idiots. They’re hoping to do that with Muhammad when he visits as well. Texas has already shown him the future and ATM may not have the booster buy-in to go there one more time, or several more times if Toviano and Bowens are also showing up. Then you have to account for the portal money, for keeping guys and getting guys. 

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It's kind of breathtakingly stupid that they didn't spend any money on a QB.

You're just assuming that they weren't even more ridiculously stupid than you give them credit for and that they didn't spend money on Haynes King and Max Johnson.

Jimbo dont need to spend money on QB. Hes a galdarn QB whisperer! 

QBs are fighting for the chance to study at the feet of the master. 

He can take his, and beat yours, and then take yours and beat his!  

Cus hes galdarn Jimbo fucking Baggins!!

Edited by NorLa Horns
Thumbs

Outside of one of the OU castoffs or Ewers (lol), which transfer QB would have actually been enough to actually improve their current predicament with the current aggy limitations? 

They are fucked because the went on a recruiting class spending spree (while not even then addressing their major holes) and then could only shop at the bargain bin in the portal.

If you are basing your offseason on showing massive improvements via the portal, it has become pretty self evident that QB, Edge, and LT are the most limited of all the possible players to pursue, and A&M desperately needed top end talent at OL and QB to have any real chance of being anything more than an 8-4 caricature of themselves. 

They have JAGs or worse on the OL, but as we have seen one stud (be it a 5 star god FR or kickass transfer) can reimagine the OL. Instead, they got nothing in the portal, no day one players in recruiting and then downgraded at OL coach to top it off.

At QB they got the cast off at LSU more as a package deal to sign his talented younger brother than as an expectation to be a great player. At best, it was hoped he could be a system QB and handoff to Achane a lot. A truely transcendent transfer QB might be able to help fix some of their offensive woes, but behind that line with those receiving options, even that is questionable.

The more I look through their offseason and recruiting the more it seems like they are repeating the Sumlin gameplan of overloading on a specific side of the ball and dominating recruiting in one position group on that side of the ball and then filling around it with JAGs and occasional surprise. Sumlin obsessed over WRs and 5 star QBs while Bilbo is overpaying for DL and the kids occasional safety.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

What do you mean? They did like I did when I was a kid playing fighting games. Wow the cpu beat me as this Zangief guy, he must be really good so I'll play as him now. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Jimbo dont need to spend money on QB. Hes a galdarn QB whisperer! 

QBs are fighting for the chance to study at the feet of the master. 

He can take his, and beat yours, and then take yours and beat his!  

Cus hes galdarn Jimbo fucking Baggins!!

Don’t you mean urine?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Portal QBs:

image.thumb.png.7484943dcc3c9188bdf1d21082d25a69.png

image.png.118a4fdb3a0fafdc6d663110eb8dd0d0.png

Bo Nix is #19, someone named Jayden de Laura (Washington St to Arizona) is 19

Penix is #23

Indiana Jones GIF

40 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Outside of one of the OU castoffs or Ewers (lol), which transfer QB would have actually been enough to actually improve their current predicament with the current aggy limitations? 

They are fucked because the went on a recruiting class spending spree (while not even then addressing their major holes) and then could only shop at the bargain bin in the portal.

If you are basing your offseason on showing massive improvements via the portal, it has become pretty self evident that QB, Edge, and LT are the most limited of all the possible players to pursue, and A&M desperately needed top end talent at OL and QB to have any real chance of being anything more than an 8-4 caricature of themselves. 

They have JAGs or worse on the OL, but as we have seen one stud (be it a 5 star god FR or kickass transfer) can reimagine the OL. Instead, they got nothing in the portal, no day one players in recruiting and then downgraded at OL coach to top it off.

At QB they got the cast off at LSU more as a package deal to sign his talented younger brother than as an expectation to be a great player. At best, it was hoped he could be a system QB and handoff to Achane a lot. A truely transcendent transfer QB might be able to help fix some of their offensive woes, but behind that line with those receiving options, even that is questionable.

The more I look through their offseason and recruiting the more it seems like they are repeating the Sumlin gameplan of overloading on a specific side of the ball and dominating recruiting in one position group on that side of the ball and then filling around it with JAGs and occasional surprise. Sumlin obsessed over WRs and 5 star QBs while Bilbo is overpaying for DL and the kids occasional safety.

i think they put themselves in a hole and ended up with the "best" option that was going to come to them.

Caleb Williams, Ewers, Gabriel weren't coming there. Slovis maybe? Jaxson Dart was pretty much oled in to Ole Miss.

that leaves Rattler? someone named Cameron Ward

Max Johnson

Slovis

Guys who make some sense? Jayden Daniels (AZ to LSU), Adrian Martinez (lol), JT Daniels would be the best QB on that roster right now probably, Gerry Bohanon (but why would he go to A&M to compete for the job?)

.............................................Casey Thompson honestly may be right up there with King and Johnson.

Nix would have been a huge upgrade lol

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He's just bad at evaluating QB talent. I don't think it's a matter of "he's got time to develop." 

Jimbo really thought he could win games with Haynes King. 

Did he though?  Felt like a settlement from both sides that it was the best they could do by the time they did it. 

Milroe obviously isn't better than Young but I think he fits their offense much better based on their limitations this year at WR. 

Normally, Alabama has 2 or 3 game changing WR but they don't have any this year. Alabama's strength are the two RBs (Gibbs and McClellan) and now you add a 5 star athlete at QB. I've been surprised Alabama hasn't run more zone read with Young this year because he is a good athlete. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Milroe obviously isn't better than Young but I think he fits their offense much better based on their limitations this year at WR. 

Normally, Alabama has 2 or 3 game changing WR but they don't have any this year. Alabama's strength is the two RBs (Gibbs and McClellan) and now you add a 5 star  athlete at QB. I've been surprised Alabama hasn't run more zone read with Young this year because he is a good athlete. 

5 star what? 

7 hours ago, NoName said:

in case anyone is curious where TJ Shanahan is across the industry after the most recent updates:

image.thumb.png.0fa8e3ccacf2e381a198d4502f5fb08b.png

what a wild scenario. can't think of anyone in recent memory who has been top 10 with 1 group and then outside the top 100 in others or even unranked overall.

Wow. Rivals is absolutely determined to die on that hill no matter how dumb they look

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I know Milroe was a 4 star but he looks like a 5 star athlete. He's a special athlete. Guys this big shouldn't be able to move like this. 

Lamar Jackson and Malik Cunningham were both 3 star recruits. They both move better than he does at a similar size 

Edited by Atticus

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Howell

Fed-XtZXwAA2byV?format=jpg&name=mediumFed-YPfWAAAl3Ts?format=jpg&name=mediumFed-YzkXgAkrHlT?format=jpg&name=mediumFed-ZfRXwAAYHaH?format=jpg&name=medium

Muhammad isn't going to aggy, it's a Bama/Tex fist fight. Shanahan is a fucking JAG. They're definitely not getting Hykeem Williams with their offense (Evan Stewart and Chris Marshall out front should have told ya), or Tony Mitchell with from Bama. Wtf? They're losing to Ole Miss whether they want to believe it or not, and probably to LSU (Florida sucks,but so does aggy, so it'll be a cripple fight between them and SCar, too). 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

39 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Wow. Rivals is absolutely determined to die on that hill no matter how dumb they look

I’m glad Texas isn’t chasing this recruit. I think there’s way more downside risk than upside potential. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Cool, just wanted to make sure that you’re just making shit up

That he's a special athlete? 

Just change the wording from "5 star athlete" to "special athlete" if that makes you happy. If you can't tell that Milroe is a gifted athlete I don't know what to tell you. He's built like a freight train and moves like a WR. 

I think that Aaron Wilson guy probably jumped the gun. The Rivals Alabama site is saying it's still undecided if Young is going to play. 
Saban leaking misinformation to fuck with Jimbo would be funny. 

Aaron Wilson is an NFL guy that used to cover the Texans and is currently based out of Houston. He seems to have ties to College Station, as he always seems to be pumping up aggy prospects come draft time.

Dunno how that plays into this, but I’ve definitely thought he’s a mouthpiece for aggy before, which would make this very interesting if it turns out to be false.

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Aaron Wilson is an NFL guy that used to cover the Texans and is currently based out of Houston. He seems to have ties to College Station, as he always seems to be pumping up aggy prospects come draft time.

Dunno how that plays into this, but I’ve definitely thought he’s a mouthpiece for aggy before, which would make this very interesting if it turns out to be false.

I've seen nobody report this other than Wilson and nobody from the Alabama side. 

All the Alabama reporters think he's going to warm up and see how he feels on Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

Where do you think he goes? SFA? 

I don’t think he will go that direction….perhaps SMU….I really don’t know…aggy was not his first choice, so his leaving won’t break his heart.  He can start/play at a smaller division school.  I could be totally wrong.