Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The obvious rumor I've heard that I know others have either heard or it has crossed y'all's mind is that Robinson lands wherever Rhule does, and thus ends their New Jersey/Philly pipeline. I don't think that is anything more than conjecture on anyone's part, but it's not just outright crazy.

genuinely would be floored if Robinson doesn't leave for greener pastures whenever Ruhle surfaces. i think it's pretty clear that A&M are not going to make him the (actual) DC. he has an extensive relationship with Ruhle + Ruhle is going to go into his next job with a nice pool for assistant coaches.

most of the time i think wishcasting coach movement (who remembers the Clint Hurtt saga with Charlie Strong?) is the wrong move but if Robinson can make $$$, be the actual DC - so another step closer to being an HC) - can exit the A&M shitshow before it blows up?

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I get that A&M's offense has looked so bad they are going to run with any narrative they can but that's a bad Ole Miss D.   Ever since limiting Kentucky to 19, they gave up 28 to Vandy, 34 to Auburn and 45 to LSU before surrendering 28 to A&M.   They don't play a decent D in their next 3 games so maybe they continue to look ok but the spin is funny.

A&M offense down to #64 in SP+ Offensive Ranking. the Ole Miss defense is at #30 in SP+

next few games are:

vs Florida -- 20 offense / 70 defense

@Auburn -- 56 offense / 54 defense

UMass lol -- 130 offense / 123 defense

vs LSU -- 27 offense / 20 defense

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Not a single tweet from Looch before, during, or after the game.

Loochie has been busy killing himself on his top 44. You can see the results.

image.thumb.png.80f2087a8ca704a20b73111de15ba114.png

30 minutes ago, NoName said:

A&M offense down to #64 in SP+ Offensive Ranking. the Ole Miss defense is at #30 in SP+

next few games are:

ATM dropped in SP+ Offense after finally scoring more than 24 points in a game? btw what's their defense ranked? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

next few games are:

That's really interesting. Looks like they go 1-1 versus LSU and UMass. Pretty easy call. The other two, not so much. I'll put up some data for those, like me, who don't follow other teams so closely. 

Auburn will be boosted by playing at home, and playing away is poison for the Aggies, but man:

image.png.e723520df5be52b8898d63e26c56a382.png

Auburn has put up some points the last few weeks, but they've been crushed three games in a row. They'll have to fill the stands with a wild crowd to make the most of that homefield advantage, but I don't know that Auburn fans will deliver that for a 3-5 team. Edge to Aggies? Weigman is the wild card.

Florida

image.png.ccfef5a82f9bb117ed57d6e0ab0b7980.png

Florida looks pretty shitty, too. I beilieve I heard announcers saying they were surprised Florida didn't play Georgia closer, so maybe some people think things are looking up there. Their defense held Missouri to 17. Is Missouri's offense much better than A&M's? Their record is 4-4 without a shitty loss to a weak team. Edge Florida.

I terrible at predictions. Shamefully bad. I will say in judging future games, it seems like the Aggies remain overestimated maybe as a result of their absurd pre-season ranking. They're recent games aren't any more inspiring than their upcoming opponents'.

image.png.a78b3e121310dad87a543b6f0aefe8d9.png

They're 3-5 as is Auburn. A&M has been closer in their losses. Florida is 4-4 having beaten every team that they should. I think the Auburn game hinges on how the Florida game goes Saturday morning. Lose to Florida at home, and I think they fold up at Auburn.

My brilliant take. At least I didn't begin it with, "I'm calling my shot," which suggests a pretty pathetic level of self-importance.

Hook 'Em!

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I get that A&M's offense has looked so bad they are going to run with any narrative they can but that's a bad Ole Miss D.   Ever since limiting Kentucky to 19, they gave up 28 to Vandy, 34 to Auburn and 45 to LSU before surrendering 28 to A&M.   They don't play a decent D in their next 3 games so maybe they continue to look ok but the spin is funny.

Yeah everyone is going nuts over Weigman but keep in mind Vandy's QB had his best passing day of the season against Ole Miss. And if you look at their other games just about every QB they face puts up big numbers against them. 

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just in reading all of this sudden optimism from ATM fans on the boards and in social media, it made me go back and just think about their 2023 roster and depth chart.

They're going to lose Achane, who is a top 100 pick, at the least. Robinson is highly rated as a guard, and I think he goes. Smith is obviously gone and hurt now anyway.

The rest of their offense "should" return.

-The OL is flat out bad and regressing under Addazio. You'll have 5+ OL coming back with starting experience nonetheless.

-Green at TE looks pretty good.

-They're a mess at TB even if Moss has his head on straight, as he's just one dude. They'll have to dole out big money in the portal for a TB because they're looking unlikely to solve their TB shortfall in the 2023 class unless Owens does an about-face.

-Weigman might be okay at QB, but that Ole Miss game shouldn't tell anyone much of anything. If he isn't great, they have no one behind him and they're utterly fucked from the jump.

-If Evan Stewart and Muhammad return, the WR corps is good. If both are gone, that WR room is trash. Keep MM and lose Stewart, it's below average as a group, but they'll have a go-to guy that can legitimately help them move the sticks. 

So the offense comes down to who sticks at WR, a portal TB, a healthy and excellent Weigman at QB, and a new OLC. If they don't get all 4 of those things in their favor, there is zero reason to see that offense as anything above bottom P5 quartile, and probably bottom decile. 

On defense, it is impossible to have any idea what to expect until the impacts of the NFL and portal are understood on their roster. 

-They for sure lose Richardson and Russell, as they're seniors. Russell will hurt, but Richardson has gone backwards in performance.

-Cooper, MJackson, and Antonio Johnson are all viable NFL candidates. Cooper and AJohnson because they're good enough and Jackson because he thinks he is. Is Jaylon Jones another guy that thinks he'll get drafted? If they lose these 4 as well, that's 6 defensive starters, gone.

-They're going to lose some guys on the DL, but how many and to what talent level? 

They're not going to close with a great 2023 recruiting class, they stand to lose some considerable star power from the 2022 class, and the 2021 class has already seen 3 of the top 6 signees vanish. The 2020 class, even with some big misses, is a really good class in terms of production for their roster. Unfortunately for them, most of that talent could be headed to the NFL after this season. That leaves a a lot of holes on their roster for 2023. 

ATM will have to absolutely crush the transfer portal, retain most of its talent from entering the portal, and have strong development across the QB and OL positions in order to get back to 8-4 next year. Their non-con is New Mexico, @ Miami, ULM and Abilene Christian. That might be 4 of their wins unless Cristobal has a bigger offseason than Fisher. They get Tennessee in Knoxville as their other SEC East match-up besides SCar and they go to Auburn, Ole Miss and LSU in the SECW. 

Draft eligible juniors who should or might consider leaving for the draft, more or less in order of a guesstimated draft stock by me

Antonio Johnson
Devon Achane
Jaylon Jones
Fadil Diggs
McKinnley Jackson
Edgerin Cooper

Draft eligible juniors who play but seem unlikely to leave:

Isaiah rakes
Moose Muhammad

Class of 2019 seniors who play, and who seem like they're likely gone:

Layden Robinson
Ainias Smith
Demani Richardson
Chris Russell
McKinnley Jackson
Edgerin Cooper

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Just in reading all of this sudden optimism from ATM fans on the boards and in social media, it made me go back and just think about their 2023 roster and depth chart.

They're going to lose Achane, who is a top 100 pick, at the least. Robinson is highly rated as a guard, and I think he goes. Smith is obviously gone and hurt now anyway.

The rest of their offense "should" return.

-The OL is flat out bad and regressing under Addazio. You'll have 5+ OL coming back with starting experience nonetheless.

-Green at TE looks pretty good.

-They're a mess at TB even if Moss has his head on straight, as he's just one dude. They'll have to dole out big money in the portal for a TB because they're looking unlikely to solve their TB shortfall in the 2023 class unless Owens does an about-face.

-Weigman might be okay at QB, but that Ole Miss game shouldn't tell anyone much of anything. If he isn't great, they have no one behind him and they're utterly fucked from the jump.

-If Evan Stewart and Muhammad return, the WR corps is good. If both are gone, that WR room is trash. Keep MM and lose Stewart, it's below average as a group, but they'll have a go-to guy that can legitimately help them move the sticks. 

So the offense comes down to who sticks at WR, a portal TB, a healthy and excellent Weigman at QB, and a new OLC. If they don't get all 4 of those things in their favor, there is zero reason to see that offense as anything above bottom P5 quartile, and probably bottom decile. 

On defense, it is impossible to have any idea what to expect until the impacts of the NFL and portal are understood on their roster. 

-They for sure lose Richardson and Russell, as they're seniors. Russell will hurt, but Richardson has gone backwards in performance.

-Cooper, MJackson, and Antonio Johnson are all viable NFL candidates. Cooper and AJohnson because they're good enough and Jackson because he thinks he is. Is Jaylon Jones another guy that thinks he'll get drafted? If they lose these 4 as well, that's 6 defensive starters, gone.

-They're going to lose some guys on the DL, but how many and to what talent level? 

They're not going to close with a great 2023 recruiting class, they stand to lose some considerable star power from the 2022 class, and the 2021 class has already seen 3 of the top 6 signees vanish. The 2020 class, even with some big misses, is a really good class in terms of production for their roster. Unfortunately for them, most of that talent could be headed to the NFL after this season. That leaves a a lot of holes on their roster for 2023. 

ATM will have to absolutely crush the transfer portal, retain most of its talent from entering the portal, and have strong development across the QB and OL positions in order to get back to 8-4 next year. Their non-con is New Mexico, @ Miami, ULM and Abilene Christian. That might be 4 of their wins unless Cristobal has a bigger offseason than Fisher. They get Tennessee in Knoxville as their other SEC East match-up besides SCar and they go to Auburn, Ole Miss and LSU in the SECW. 

Idk where but I saw Jaylon Jones in the first round of one mock draft recently. AJohnson a first rounder in most. I'd assume both gone.

3 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

One more loss and we'll be running for cover because the wheels will come flying off everywhere.   The players will be checked out and not care at all. This will result in more and wilder tantrums fom Jumbo which will further exacerbate the situation. 

I don't mind watching a few tantrums, as long as they all stay just short of 'cause'..

I want to enjoy the Jimbo Era for a good long while!

• Hook 'Em 1

Feels like it’s at the point where some of these guys that know they are leaving or expect to be leaving will be doing some level of risk/reward of playing vs opting out.  There’s very little to play for in terms of season goals. 

I also wonder if they’d turn down a bowl game this year after backing out last year.  Having a rep as a group of cowards would be especially delicious for those fake military, 12th man crowing goobers. But if jimbo is 6-6 and half his starters won’t be playing, he may not want that 7th loss. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 8:49 AM, Harvdog said:

Haynes King will look really good next season at Sam Houston St.  

I've got 2 kids that have at least 2 years to go at Sam Houston. It would be awesome if they didnt suck for the next couple of years.

Biggest question to me is how the ATM boosters respond to this season. I can't imagine following this year's events, both on and off the field, and still wanting to throw away large sums of money into Jimbo's NIL/bags. Will only get worse as they realize their "already bought" players will require even more money or leave.

On the other hand, desperation leads to weird decisions..

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Feels like it’s at the point where some of these guys that know they are leaving or expect to be leaving will be doing some level of risk/reward of playing vs opting out.  There’s very little to play for in terms of season goals. 

I also wonder if they’d turn down a bowl game this year after backing out last year.  Having a rep as a group of cowards would be especially delicious for those fake military, 12th man crowing goobers. But if jimbo is 6-6 and half his starters won’t be playing, he may not want that 7th loss. 

For most of them, playing and putting more film up is worth it 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

That and I don’t know if nfl teams would view it as a mental eval demerit, or when they stop seeing it as that and rather see it as smart to stay healthy and train. Skipping bowl games seems to be ok, but the last month of the season?

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Johnson and Achane could opt out right now and be fine. I don't see how scouts could need any more footage on either guy. I don't expect it or anything, but they'd be fine if they did. 

Last year, the buzz before the Bama game was that Spiller, Weydermeyer, Leal and others were going to shut things down if they were blown out by Bama. Obviously that didn't happen, but I haven't heard anything about something like that this year. Curious if anyone else has. I mean, they've already lost a shit ton of players to suspension and injury, so I guess there are simply less numbers at risk this year.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I seriously doubt the SEC would let that happen. Last year was different with Covid. This year the SEC will not pass up the bowl revenue.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:49 AM, Harvdog said:

Haynes King will look really good next season at Sam Houston St.  

I think that they will end up 5-7 at best but more 4-8 is very likely.  After Last year, all my Aggie friends said “Y’all suck!  5-7, no bowl  and you lost to Kansas!”  This year it will be the same for them with App fucking St.  I cannot wait.  

Plus he'd be back in FBS (Division 1, whatever) pretty quick. I got nothing against the guy.

1 hour ago, Ragde said:

I've got 2 kids that have at least 2 years to go at Sam Houston. It would be awesome if they didnt suck for the next couple of years.

What have you seen out of Haynes King so far, that would make you think that his presence on the roster would help that team to not suck?

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

Does Harsin get to keep his side piece? in addition to the 7.5M he gets in 30 days or so plus the rest of the 15M later.. Sign me up. 

They did a thorough investigation on that story, right? Last I heard was that they basically ruined a young woman’s reputation for nothing since they weren’t having an affair and had to pay her a settlement to make up for it. Just booster crafted shiftiness at the worst booster-run AD in the world. Did I miss something and he was actually having an affair?

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They did a thorough investigation on that story, right? Last I heard was that they basically ruined a young woman’s reputation for nothing since they weren’t having an affair and had to pay her a settlement to make up for it. Just booster crafted shiftiness at the worst booster-run AD in the world. Did I miss something and he was actually having an affair?

That’s the last I saw as well. You’d be an idiot to go coach there where boosters literally sabotage a coach

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 1:26 PM, ClubWhatever said:

Weigman and his family hold all the cards here.  He would be in demand in the portal and would fuck their 2023 season over if he left.  They should demand some accountability and protection for their son and future players under that snake oil salesman. 

Saban might be looking for a QB after watching Milroe shit himself against aTm. It would be the most glorious meltdown in texags history if he were to somehow recruit Weigman into the portal. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

Why would he go there and not wait for another shot at a blue blood?

Which top twenty job specifically do you see opening up in the next two years not named Auburn? 

Odds are at least one other top twenty job opens up, but it's not guaranteed that one does open up in the next two years, and it's not guaranteed that you even get that job that you're waiting for

Additionally, while the boosters at Auburn are a pain in the ass, they do help you acquire talent, and it's not like head coaches at Auburn get fired at a higher rate than at other SEC schools. The Harsin one is a bit of an outlier because the lame-duck AD went rogue and hired a guy who the boosters didn't want.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

What have you seen out of Haynes King so far, that would make you think that his presence on the roster would help that team to not suck?

Hoping with some decent coaching he can be an above average qb. Not expecting to bust into the playoffs. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Which top twenty job specifically do you see opening up in the next two years not named Auburn? 

Odds are at least one other top twenty job opens up, but it's not guaranteed that one does open up in the next two years, and it's not guaranteed that you even get that job that you're waiting for

Additionally, while the boosters at Auburn are a pain in the ass, they do help you acquire talent, and it's not like head coaches at Auburn get fired at a higher rate than at other SEC schools. The Harsin one is a bit of an outlier because the lame-duck AD went rogue and hired a guy who the boosters didn't want.  

at first i was thinking the same thing - why would he leave. but you are right.

looking at blue bloods USC, Texas, tOSU and Alabama probably aren't opening up. ND maybe, but doubt Kiffin ever wants to go there.

OU maybe after Venables gets 3 seasons?

Nebraska doesn't seem like his kind of place. ditto for Michigan.

looking beyond there at all time CFB wins - Penn St? not his type of place. Tenn is toast. LSU/UGA isn't going to happen. he doesn't want to replace Dabo at Clemson even if it opens up. A&M lol. Florida just hired a coach.

going to Auburn guarantees he doesn't ever replace Saban, but that was a long shot anyway.

Auburn is going to have to pay through the nose for their next coach, why not get a guy who you know works well in the SEC, you have built in narrative to take the Bama game to the next level (and with the exception of Super Calzada-led A&M, teams who have beaten Saban in the last few years all have a pretty clear offensive scheme)

so yeah - Auburn.

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

Alabama opens up within the next three years. Is Kiffin a candidate there? IDK but if they actually get Dabo then Clemson would be an option
OU probably opens up in the next couple of years as well
Florida St might open up this offseason

Shit, Texas might open up in a couple years

Edited by C'Mon Man

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

at first i was thinking the same thing - why would he leave. but you are right.

looking at blue bloods USC, Texas, tOSU and Alabama probably aren't opening up. ND maybe, but doubt Kiffin ever wants to go there.

OU maybe after Venables gets 3 seasons?

Nebraska doesn't seem like his kind of place. ditto for Michigan.

looking beyond there at all time CFB wins - Penn St? not his type of place. Tenn is toast. LSU/UGA isn't going to happen. he doesn't want to replace Dabo at Clemson even if it opens up. A&M lol. Florida just hired a coach.

going to Auburn guarantees he doesn't ever replace Saban, but that was a long shot anyway.

Auburn is going to have to pay through the nose for their next coach, why not get a guy who you know works well in the SEC, you have built in narrative to take the Bama game to the next level (and with the exception of Super Calzada-led A&M, teams who have beaten Saban in the last few years all have a pretty clear offensive scheme)

so yeah - Auburn.

I don't think Nebraska is a top 20 job. 20 is an arbitrary number, but I see about 17 jobs that are sure top 20s, and pushing it to 20 gets you to a nice, round number 

Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Texas
LSU
USC
Notre Dame
Michigan
Florida
Oklahoma
Penn State
Clemson
A&M
Tennessee
Auburn
FSU
Miami

Then you can round it out with whichever you prefer out of Oregon, UCLA, UNC, Washington, or an upper-mid Big 10 program, or one of the private schools that'll pay you top dollar but have a lower football ceiling? I don't feel like arguing the last three

In any event, not of those 16 (without Auburn) appear to be likely to come open individually, unless Harbs decides to go to the NFL, or if you're including UNC then maybe Mack retires

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

Alabama opens up within the next three years. Is Kiffin a candidate there? IDK but if they actually get Dabo then Clemson would be an option
OU probably opens up in the next couple of years as well
Florida St might open up this offseason as well

Shit, Texas might open up in a couple years

Auburn folks are saying Deion, Freeze, and Kiffen are top targets. They have acknowledged Kiffen to be a total longshot. Norvell might fuck FSU and stick for one more year and lose out on Deion if he wins a couple more games this season. 

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

You guys are overrating both the Auburn job and Lane Kiffin.

Auburn has modern national championship upside, and they'll pay you. Only so many schools can really say that. 

Lane is 18-4 in his last two seasons, and has one of Ole Miss's only 10 win regular seasons in its history. He's on the shortlist of best available candidates for a top 20 job like Auburn, with Rhule, Fickell, and if you can stomach him, Freeze

7 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

Florida St might open up this offseason

Not with the extension and buyout they just gave Norvell 

They're giving Norvell a long leash to rebuild that roster and culture, for better or for worse 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

Auburn has modern national championship upside, and they'll pay you. Only so many schools can really say that. 

Lane is 18-4 in his last two seasons, and has one of Ole Miss's only 10 win regular seasons in its history. He's on the shortlist of best available candidates for a top 20 job like Auburn, with Rhule, Fickell, and if you can stomach him, Freeze

Fickell seems like a good hire for someone.