Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

Auburn has modern national championship upside, and they'll pay you. Only so many schools can really say that. 

Lane is 18-4 in his last two seasons, and has one of Ole Miss's only 10 win regular seasons in its history. He's on the shortlist of best available candidates for a top 20 job like Auburn, with Rhule, Fickell, and if you can stomach him, Freeze

Auburn’s boosters are the worst to deal with in the country, if I’m a coach with options, you’d have to money whip me Jimbo Fisher style to get me to go there. And I’d also need to be near the tail end of my career, because my future prospects will probably be shit after inevitably getting run through and spit out of the Auburn machine. Even the guy who won that modern national championship got spit out two years later and he hasn’t been a head coach since.

Lane Kiffin is an unprofessional asshat whose mouth is bigger than his accomplishments. . Many of the top schools won’t even consider hiring him. People above are mentioning Alabama and Clemson, no way in hell.

And Ole Miss has only beaten two teams with a winning record this year and one of them is Troy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Tell me about Rhule as a coach. All I know is he did well at Baylor.

Also he did well at temple. 

if you can do well at temple and Baylor, you can coach.  Nfl…well even Saban and urban and spurrier  had issues there. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Tell me about Rhule as a coach. All I know is he did well at Baylor.

He's a good coach who had a lot of luck at Baylor. I'm not going to argue with people who say he's better than Sarkisian, but I don't agree he's elite. It's just as likely that he's Matt Campbell with ambition. 

But my main point was that the list he posted makes it seem like if Sarkisian was looking right now fresh off his Alabama success he'd easily be a top 3 candidate for a top 20 job. It's more a comment on the coaching talent pool than anything. 

Edited by Huckleberry

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

He's a good coach who had a lot of luck at Baylor. I'm not going to argue with people who say he's better than Sarkisian, but I don't agree he's elite. It's just as likely that he's Matt Campbell with ambition. 

But my main point was that the list he posted makes it seem like if Sarkisian was looking right now fresh off his Alabama success he'd easily be a top 3 candidate for a top 20 job. It's more a comment on the coaching talent pool than anything. 

I am sure Rhule is getting pinged left and right through backchannels. He is a good coach, time will tell if he is a great coach. Even a good coach will be a welcomed addition to the right program. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, I understood what you were getting at and I agree.

Personally, I'm extremely cynical these days. Saban built his reputation off of rampant cheating. I kind of feel like he is Rhule or Campbell but with no moral compass. So basically a good coach who is willing to break the rules to win. And Oregon and Georgia show that this philosophy works. And with Sark, I feel like if he has the talent, he may not be great, but he can win lots of games. Shit, Cristobal kind of sucks and he won a lot of games at Oregon.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Which top twenty job specifically do you see opening up in the next two years not named Auburn? 

Odds are at least one other top twenty job opens up, but it's not guaranteed that one does open up in the next two years, and it's not guaranteed that you even get that job that you're waiting for

Additionally, while the boosters at Auburn are a pain in the ass, they do help you acquire talent, and it's not like head coaches at Auburn get fired at a higher rate than at other SEC schools. The Harsin one is a bit of an outlier because the lame-duck AD went rogue and hired a guy who the boosters didn't want.  

There a bunch of coaching jobs prefererable to Bama Aggie that might open up.  Mack might retire, Oregon has difficulty keeping coaches for long, Wiscy has an interim, Venables is stinking up Norman, maybe Ferentz decides to retire.  Freeman and Tucker aren't looking good, either.  Everyone one of those places would be more appealing to me than Auburn if I were a coach.

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

There a bunch of coaching jobs prefererable to Bama Aggie that might open up.  Mack might retire, Oregon has difficulty keeping coaches for long, Wiscy has an interim, Venables is stinking up Norman, maybe Ferentz decides to retire.  Freeman and Tucker aren't looking good, either.  Everyone one of those places would be more appealing to me than Auburn if I were a coach.

Never been to East Lansing, I take it?

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Backchannels? He's not coaching right now. No need to be discreet. 

Schools with coaches still in place could really get their dicks caught in the pencil sharpener for the season if it became public that they were recruiting around their coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Michigan State is just barely avoiding becoming the laughingstock of CFB by an order of 1 Jimbo. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Those jobs also might not open up for several years 

Also, if you do want a chance to win championships, you listed several schools that have never shown the ability to recruit at the requisite level to contend, while we’ve seen Auburn do it relatively recently 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Those jobs also might not open up for several years 

Also, if you do want a chance to win championships, you listed several schools that have never shown the ability to recruit at the requisite level to contend, while we’ve seen Auburn do it relatively recently 

How big of fans are Penn State? I imagine they need to beat tOSU occassionally in order to keep a coach. So, I imagine they know that they need to pay up to get the top Pennsylvania, NJ, Eastern Ohio and Virginia high schoolers.

12 hours ago, Hornlover said:

I thought they considered TJ Shanahan to be their best OL prospect.

He's likely to be top 3 in the Looch 44 (ranking dependent upon whether Looch releases it before or after Hicks and Hill decommit).

The Loochie 44 will come out after NSD. 

8 hours ago, Fud said:

Which top twenty job specifically do you see opening up in the next two years not named Auburn? 

Odds are at least one other top twenty job opens up, but it's not guaranteed that one does open up in the next two years, and it's not guaranteed that you even get that job that you're waiting for

Additionally, while the boosters at Auburn are a pain in the ass, they do help you acquire talent, and it's not like head coaches at Auburn get fired at a higher rate than at other SEC schools. The Harsin one is a bit of an outlier because the lame-duck AD went rogue and hired a guy who the boosters didn't want.  

Kiffin is a terrible recruiter, tho, so they may not even go that route. Hs recruiter, not portal recruiter. 

16 hours ago, Vertigo said:

If I am being honest I might switch Bisontis for Cojoe.

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Swapping their best OL for our least promising would be funny. I don't think Cojoe stays in UT's class either way, though.

Damn, y'all really don't think highly of Cojoe?

I know Gerry Hamilton recently reiterated that he is considers Cojoe a high-ceiling development prospect that UT doesn't want to lose to TCU.

17 hours ago, Fud said:

I don't think Nebraska is a top 20 job. 20 is an arbitrary number, but I see about 17 jobs that are sure top 20s, and pushing it to 20 gets you to a nice, round number 

Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Texas
LSU
USC
Notre Dame
Michigan
Florida
Oklahoma
Penn State
Clemson
A&M
Tennessee
Auburn
FSU
Miami

Then you can round it out with whichever you prefer out of Oregon, UCLA, UNC, Washington, or an upper-mid Big 10 program, or one of the private schools that'll pay you top dollar but have a lower football ceiling? I don't feel like arguing the last three

In any event, not of those 16 (without Auburn) appear to be likely to come open individually, unless Harbs decides to go to the NFL, or if you're including UNC then maybe Mack retires

don't disagree with you and your counts, ranking of the jobs, or overall thoughts job rankings...but Nebraska is on every single blue blood list out there which is the only reason I included it. 

16 hours ago, cochamps said:

I can see where he'd be a better fit in the midwest.  I am not sure that Rhule would be a fit at Auburn either.

Ruhle's concept is recruit great athletes and turn them into something that works. If it works at Temple AND Baylor, I feel confident it would work at Auburn.

54 minutes ago, Fud said:

Kiffin isn't a "terrible recruiter" 

transition class was #34 in composite. #17 in 21. #27 in 22 (18 commits, but had an average that easily puts him in the top 20.) Currently at #26 with 13 commits (average is closer to 10 than 20, behind schools with 20, 24, 26, 20, 15, 21 commits)

2015 was #17

2016 was #5 (Freeze was fired for recruiting violations)

2017 Ole Miss was #31

2018 was #32

2019 were #22

he's fine. i wouldn't worry about his recruiting.

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, NoName said:

don't disagree with you and your counts, ranking of the jobs, or overall thoughts job rankings...but Nebraska is on every single blue blood list out there which is the only reason I included it. 

Ruhle's concept is recruit great athletes and turn them into something that works. If it works at Temple AND Baylor, I feel confident it would work at Auburn.

transition class was #34 in composite. #17 in 21. #27 in 22 (18 commits, but had an average that easily puts him in the top 20.) Currently at #26 with 13 commits (average is closer to 10 than 20, behind schools with 20, 24, 26, 20, 15, 21 commits)

2015 was #17

2016 was #5 (Freeze was fired for recruiting violations)

2017 Ole Miss was #31

2018 was #32

2019 were #22

he's fine. i wouldn't worry about his recruiting.

Rhule has never worked at a public university, nor one that has meddling boosters near the Auburn level.  My comment about fit really had nothing to do with on the field stuff.  Not saying he couldn't succeed, I just don't think it's a slam dunk,

1 hour ago, cochamps said:

Rhule has never worked at a public university, nor one that has meddling boosters near the Auburn level.  My comment about fit really had nothing to do with on the field stuff.  Not saying he couldn't succeed, I just don't think it's a slam dunk,

Was very notable to me that he saw the smoking crater of sexual assault and other villainy at Baylor and said "yeah, that's the job for me."

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Fud said:

I don't think Nebraska is a top 20 job. 20 is an arbitrary number, but I see about 17 jobs that are sure top 20s, and pushing it to 20 gets you to a nice, round number 

Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Texas
LSU
USC
Notre Dame
Michigan
Florida
Oklahoma
Penn State
Clemson
A&M
Tennessee
Auburn
FSU
Miami

Then you can round it out with whichever you prefer out of Oregon, UCLA, UNC, Washington, or an upper-mid Big 10 program, or one of the private schools that'll pay you top dollar but have a lower football ceiling? I don't feel like arguing the last three

In any event, not of those 16 (without Auburn) appear to be likely to come open individually, unless Harbs decides to go to the NFL, or if you're including UNC then maybe Mack retires

Wisconsin should be on there. Perhaps once could argue UH going into the big 12 if Tilman is interested in NIL funding and being a sugar daddy for the program. I more or less laugh at UH but I think I’d rather coach there with commitment from Ferntits than I would Nebraska. More talent in your back yard and an easier path to the playoffs going to 12 teams in the playoffs in the new and weakened, but still likely strong enough big 12 

20 hours ago, Fud said:

Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Texas
LSU
USC
Notre Dame
Michigan
Florida
Oklahoma
Penn State
Clemson
A&M
Tennessee
Auburn
FSU
Miami

Auburn is a stretch as a top 20 job. You are in between Alabama and Georgia. I dont see what makes Auburn, much better than say someone like  Ole Miss. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Auburn is a stretch as a top 20 job. You are in between Alabama and Georgia. I dont see what makes Auburn, much better than say someone like  Ole Miss. 

Give me Ole Miss any day. Keep them 8-4 or better every year and a 10 win season every now and then with an occasional playoff run especially when it expands and you are set. They are the OKST of the SEC.

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Resources.  They can pay two coaches to go away in the space of 2 years. 

Both of boosters that will play the game and spend money. Auburn happens to have maybe the most bat shit crazy booster. Yella Fella Jimmmy Rane. 

39 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Wisconsin should be on there. Perhaps once could argue UH going into the big 12 if Tilman is interested in NIL funding and being a sugar daddy for the program. I more or less laugh at UH but I think I’d rather coach there with commitment from Ferntits than I would Nebraska. More talent in your back yard and an easier path to the playoffs going to 12 teams in the playoffs in the new and weakened, but still likely strong enough big 12 

An argument against Wisconsin is Arkansas stole their coach 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

If you care about winning, which arguably many coaches do, over the past 12 or so years Auburn has won a national championship, played in another national championship, and won the SEC west. Ole Miss just had its first 10 win regular season ever. QED. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

If you care about winning, which arguably many coaches do, over the past 12 or so years Auburn has won a national championship, played in another national championship, and won the SEC west. Ole Miss just had its first 10 win regular season ever. QED. 

Ole Miss won 10 in 2015 also. NCAA investigation had a hand in recent records. I am simply comparing recruiting grounds, facilities, fan support, etc. I do not think there is something that makes Auburn stand out over a lot of other SEC schools. You are the second fiddle in a small state, though bigger recruiting ground. Your natural recruiting grounds are Alabama and Georgia. You are not the favorite vs either them in normal recruitments. . 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's not like Ole Miss is Kansas. Leaving his own guys and a lot of good will for a mid-tier clusterfuck seems dumb.

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Ole Miss won 10 in 2015 also. NCAA investigation had a hand in recent records. I am simply comparing recruiting grounds, facilities, fan support, etc. I do not think there is something that makes Auburn stand out over a lot of other SEC schools. You are the second fiddle in a small state, though bigger recruiting ground. Your natural recruiting grounds are Alabama and Georgia. You are not the favorite vs either them in normal recruitments. . 

Ole Miss won 9 regular season games in 2015

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

So, what?  Nebraska won a bunch of titles and played for additional ones in the 90’s and is in the top 10 all time for wins.  You don’t see anyone tripping over themselves to coach there.