Alone

futureman

just stared the one on grizzly mountain (just got on netflix?) and man, thought the guy who tapped out in e01 that thought he was having a heart attack was super well set up shelter wise.

looks like this is season 8?

what are the other seasons worth watching, sounds like the arctic (season 7?) is terrible from scanning this thread?

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

The one that just ended a month ago? Yeah, it was shit, go read the last page. 

Yep, those comments sum it up.  It was a real turd season and sucked.  Also, contestants are trying way to hard to be entertaining which got annoying as shit fast. It’s only funny if it’s something that happens organically and not some rehearsed bullshit like the fucking Halloween skit the Arky guy did, and enough with fucking song writing/singing bullshit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Yep, those comments sum it up.  It was a real turd season and sucked.  Also, contestants are trying way to hard to be entertaining which got annoying as shit fast. It’s only funny if it’s something that happens organically and not some rehearsed bullshit like the fucking Halloween skit the Arky guy did, and enough with fucking song writing/singing bullshit.

i mean there isn't THAT much to do out there. i think i have seen Les Stroud talk about doing it to stay sane in the middle of nowhere before.

38 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean there isn't THAT much to do out there. i think i have seen Les Stroud talk about doing it to stay sane in the middle of nowhere before.

Seems like the show editors put an emphasis showing that bullshit this season however, could be result of them just lacking any better footage to use which suggest the location they picked this time sucked.

• 9 months later...

Had zero idea this was happening, just saw a History Channel email I get to one of my throwaway accounts. 

Dropped alone in the wilds of Northern Saskatchewan, 10 participants struggle to establish a foothold, knowing that the smallest mistake can have devastating consequences. Let the ultimate survival challenge begin. 

Tonight at 8, replays at 9:30/midnight/1:30a. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an episode behind.  Just watched the 59 year old dude who hadn't had any protein since the drop spend all his energy reserves to build a fantastic cabin that would probably last decades.  Immediately after completion, he's fried and has to leave the game.  Do these people ever learn?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:51 PM, Horn80 said:

Finished Season 9 and thought it was pretty boring.   Anyone else?

I saw this post a few weeks ago, then the season popped on Netflix.  I was wondering how a season of Alone could be boring considering there's not a huge difference from season to season.  You were right, though.  I ended up fast-forwarding the last three episodes.  I just wanted to ensure the annoying-ass woman didn't win.  (She reminded me too much of my MIL.)  There didn't seem to be much of an emotional impact at the end.  Even the kid's girlfriend kind of seemed meh as if she'd already moved on.  I don't know.  It really was kind of boring.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I just started Season 10.  I've got a question for any of y'all that hunt.

In Season 9, and on previous seasons, those that hunt have been careful not to take a lazy shot.  Losing arrows aside, they were extremely concerned about the cruelty a "bad" shot would be to a maimed animal.  In Season 9, a couple of them wouldn't even take shots on a beaver that was just a few feet in front of them because they weren't 100% they could get to the animal.  

On ep 1 of Season 10, the guy from Hawaii took two shots at a bear that were so far away, he missed the entire 400 lb animal.  Granted, I know you can't just walk up to a bear close enough to ensure the shot was good, but was what he did appropriate?  If the kill zone on a bear is less than 25%, and he missed twice, wasn't he more likely to just maim the bear than kill it?  

I'm just curious as one who has never hunted.  I have a lot of respect for those that are literally starving, but are respectful enough not to take a bad shot.

The bows they use don't have sights and they don't have mechanical releases, which makes long shots really hard unless you are super proficient with them.  With a modern compound bow, you can hit animals out to 50 yards or even slightly more.  This season started promising but it's fallen in to the same starve off.  I had hopes for the hunting guide, but then he went and lost all of his arrows in the first week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We are a family of hunters. Mainly deer with a little less successful turkey hunting. Son and DiL are very into it, now mainly bow, but still gun and muzzle loader. We’ve mostly quit watching Alone due to the poor hunting practices of some of the contestants. I believe they edit out a lot of the less successful efforts as wounded animals make bad TV.

In bow hunting ammo is limited, and success rates low even if you’re a skilled hunter. You have to be able to get close and have near perfect opportunity or the result is a wounded animal, which a good hunter wants to avoid.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the info.  The one time my grandfather tried to take me hunting - I was about - did not go well.  We were trying to kill some racoons that kept getting into the garden.  I purposely made a bunch of noise each time we saw the reflection of their eyes in the trees.  He probably killed them all the next night.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Thanks for the info.  The one time my grandfather tried to take me hunting - I was about - did not go well.  We were trying to kill some racoons that kept getting into the garden.  I purposely made a bunch of noise each time we saw the reflection of their eyes in the trees.  He probably killed them all the next night.

Raccoons are cute and smart and will eat all your produce and your chickens and kill your dogs. Grandpa was right to take them out. You must not have had any of your own labor in that garden.

Trying to bag a bear with those old timey bows is near impossible. They should have been told to not even think about it. Most Alaskan bears are hunted with a large caliber rifle and a .45 on the hip if they keep coming.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I can only think of 2 people who successfully killed a big game animal on the show.  The guy who had lived with Siberian reindeer herders for a few years got a moose and the hunting guide who finished off the musk ox with a knife.  They were both badasses and won their season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Season 10; episode 4

Spoiler

Tha F is wrong with a couple of these guys?  Who leaves a fish anywhere overnight?  And, who eats a 2-3 day old fish?

Also, the 27 year-old is from Central Texas.  Said he grew up w/o electricity or running water.  I get far West Texas or the East Texas Pines, but it's surprising to me that there are still rural areas in Central Texas w/o modern conveniences.  His childhood would have mostly taken place since 2000.

On 7/13/2023 at 7:56 AM, Texzilla58 said:

I believe they edit out a lot of the less successful efforts as wounded animals make bad TV.

I’ve never thought of that but I bet you’re right. Lobbing arrows at a faraway bear with a recurve bow doesn’t seem like a good idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think these contestants overestimate how far 500k before taxes gets you. They all say some variant of "if I win I'm gonna buy a ranch to help teach kids outdoor skills, get my mom a house and take care of my autistic kid that'll be set for life..."

I know they live in the country where shit is cheaper but the 325k they're getting after taxes is gonna go quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 11:04 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Earlier this season I thought it was stated that one couldn't kill a marten?  Dude risked bites to free one in a trap.

To answer my own question... Reddit seems to think it's akin to hunting ducks.  You can't snare them, but hitting them with an arrow is ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished season 9 on Netflix. Didn’t know anything about the series going in. I thought it pretty interesting seeing them start to make stupid decisions as they got more malnourished and electrolytes got out of wack. Also the ones wasting energy on elaborate shelters wtf.  I actually liked the little dude that won. Didn’t waste calories hunting and collecting firewood and it really paid off. Didn’t bother boiling his water because he’s been drinking shit water for years and grew up in the outskirts of Mexico City before that. That was a big advantage IMO

The location seemed shitty though for survival. All the calories they expended for a few squirrels and grouse. And didn’t the beaver meat take out a couple of them? Not sure I’ll watch any of the other seasons

• Hook 'Em 1