Vinyl

CooterBrown

If anyone is in for a trip to Llano on a Friday or Saturday (only days he's open) you should go to Rats. Rats was a meat processing plant that an older gentleman owns now. He changed up the sign that read "Meats" so it reads "Rats" which stands for records and things strange. He is a retired software engineer who bought up lots and lots of collections, but everything he has is pre 1990. He has over 60,000 records. If you see electronics for sale on Craigslist in Llano, it is most likely some of the funky gear he has for sale. I have an original Beano album with a little sleeve damage (among others) that I paid $10.00 for.

Don't go looking to thumb through the records like at a record store. Go with a list. He knows where everything is but you would be hard pressed to figure out his system. Tell him what you're looking for and he will lead you through the labyrinth to the record. Lots of jazz, old R&R, C&W, classical... He has a lot of other interesting stuff as well, and his wife has a bookstore in town, also. They have lots of old documents, books, photos, etc. It is worth the trip, although it's only about 30 minutes for me.

No worrys about digital here, as everything is pre 1990. There's a Texas Monthly about him but I don't recall when it was in the mag.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

One of the jazz guys on YouTube mentioned him in a video. Cool to get more info on it. Thanks!

If you don't buy anything (but you will) walking around and taking in the true form of eccentric is pretty cool. There's not much of the real thing anymore, but this guy and his place are the real deal. He's really nice, too. Likes to hear about where and when you saw the artist, how the performance went, etc. He's got to be in his 80s by now. 

On 1/2/2023 at 3:50 PM, BoomMF said:

Thanks to your heads-up: Arrived today along with some other bougee pickups. Tonight's listening is all MoFi.

20230102_154127.thumb.jpg.a0f0cb837c5eaff6a51f9598de4c1f57.jpg

I have all 4 Miles and the Evans from my dad's collection. When I started raiding his closet a few years ago, I didn't understand how detailed Discogs was, and didn't always take the time to look at lables and runouts.  He started his collection sometime in the 50's. I probably need to do some edits to my collection. 😂

Edited by RiverwalkMiner
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/2/2023 at 3:50 PM, BoomMF said:

Thanks to your heads-up: Arrived today along with some other bougee pickups. Tonight's listening is all MoFi.

20230102_154127.thumb.jpg.a0f0cb837c5eaff6a51f9598de4c1f57.jpg

Wanted to circle back to this. This might be the most successful haul to date. Every one of these were stellar. In a Silent Way was expected, but side two of Milestones is some killer bebop that I've gone back to a few times already. It's bebop, but all grown up and polished. Side one of Jack Johnson was similarly eye-opening (side note, Jack talking at the end of side 2 came out of nowhere and startled me good. Lol). I don't know how I missed I Robot, but I'm glad to have discovered it. I knew of Alan Parsons from his Pink Floyd connection, so it's odd to me that it took this long. And if you haven't, Suite Judy Blue Eyes post-haste. After Thriller, this is my second favorite One Step of the year and I'm not much a CSN fan. But I am getting pretty damn old so that might be changing. Bill Evans is Bill Evans, dude's a witch. This One Step is the best I've heard Portrait sound. I'm refusing to get the AP Riverside box on principle so maybe this is the best I'll ever hear it sound. Also, there was a cool documentary on Bill Evans that came out in 2015 called Time Remembered. Worth a watch.

• Like 2

I was fortunate enough to save all my  old vinyl from the 70's up. I saved all my stereo stuff but gave it to my son when he moved out. Since then I've been picking up vintage equipment when I see it. I bought this Kenwood unit at a antique store last week fir $120. It was $975 when it was made in 1972-73. And everything works perfect. The volume control pot is broken but it still works. I've got it hooked up to some 80's Bose 501 speakers. 

One day I'll figure out how to hook the quad stuff up. 🤔 

20230115_220313.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

When my grandpa died in 2018, I got his 1952-ish Sears-Roebuck radio/phonograph.

It hadn't been functional in ages, but my mom and dad fixed up the exterior so we could at least display it. My husband and I had always wanted to get back into vinyl, so a few months ago we finally got around to making it functional as a record player - kind of. My brother had always wanted the internal turntable to display at his place, so we removed it, cleaned it up, and got rid of the ancient, decaying wiring.

We put a new turntable in the shelf where the old one had been, and added some powered speakers. Nothing really expensive or fancy, but now we can play records out of the refurbished device. It's pretty cool. Thanks, Pawpaw.

radio1.JPG

tt1.JPG

tt2dog.JPG

radio2.JPG

radiombb.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I saw Peter Hook at Mohawk last year and was shocked at how many people were wearing Joy Division shirts, specifically the Unknown Pleasures one. When did that become acceptable?

like a decade ago. you can't go to a concert without seeing at least 5 people wearing that shirt. 

As far as Austin area retail record stores, I have been going to Piranah in RR, and End Of An Ear on Ben White, near S. Congress/1st Street. Am I missing something? I know about Waterloo, but I hate engaging traffic to get to it. 

Anyone else remember going to the record store on the drag at 21st after class? A Saigon eggroll and going in there are pretty fond memories.

As far as Austin area retail record stores, I have been going to Piranah in RR, and End Of An Ear on Ben White, near S. Congress/1st Street. Am I missing something? I know about Waterloo, but I hate engaging traffic to get to it. 
Anyone else remember going to the record store on the drag at 21st after class? A Saigon eggroll and going in there are pretty fond memories.

BLK Vinyl is excellent.

Love Wheel Records is small but they have a well curated used selection.

16 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

breakaway records on north loop and the previously mentioned blk vinyl. 

16 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

BLK Vinyl is excellent.

Love Wheel Records is small but they have a well curated used selection.

Love Wheel also has a 3-legged shop dog named Joe. So, cherry on top.

Edited by austingirl

16 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

And now time is my time
Time is my own
I feel so alive, yet I feel so alone
'Cause you know you're the one and that that hasn't changed
Since you were 19 and still in school
Waiting on a light on the corner by Sound Exchange

Drinking coffee at Captain Quackenbush and shopping at Sound Exchange made for a great afternoon. 

Another vote for End of Ear and Breakaway Records. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Is anyone else doing Amazon’s Golden Era vinyl subscription? $27/month for a curated classic album from the 60s-70s. The selections have all been solid…London Calling, Dark Side of the Moon, etc. This month it’s Al Green’s Let’s Stay Together. I guess it’s a way to get rid of stock but all the records so far have been good selections and quality reissues. There’s even been some Music on Vinyl releases in there. It’s been a good way to build some stock of music I like but always neglect to buy when record shopping.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Is anyone else doing Amazon’s Golden Era vinyl subscription? $27/month for a curated classic album from the 60s-70s. The selections have all been solid…London Calling, Dark Side of the Moon, etc. This month it’s Al Green’s Let’s Stay Together. I guess it’s a way to get rid of stock but all the records so far have been good selections and quality reissues. There’s even been some Music on Vinyl releases in there. It’s been a good way to build some stock of music I like but always neglect to buy when record shopping.

That sounds cool, but Let's Stay Together on vinyl is $17.05 on Amazon right now.  Is the one you got a special pressing?

Edited by dcbc

Says $24.99/month on the 'zon page I see.  First I have heard about it.  Reviews seem mixed.  Would be curious as to how it works out for you though.

All my vinyl is on pre-order right now.  

Including this one:

https://store.wearedelasoul.com/products/3-feet-high-and-rising-physical-album?variant=43898508050710

Says $24.99/month on the 'zon page I see.  First I have heard about it.  Reviews seem mixed.  Would be curious as to how it works out for you though.
All my vinyl is on pre-order right now.  
Including this one:
https://store.wearedelasoul.com/products/3-feet-high-and-rising-physical-album?variant=43898508050710

I don’t get the negative reviews. You can skip easily since it shows up as another subscription on your account and you get an email about a week before shipping so you know what it’s going to be.

You will occasionally pay more than the list price because of the flat fee but I’ve only had 2 of 7 that listed for less than the subscription.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t get the negative reviews. You can skip easily since it shows up as another subscription on your account and you get an email about a week before shipping so you know what it’s going to be.

You will occasionally pay more than the list price because of the flat fee but I’ve only had 2 of 7 that listed for less than the subscription.

Gotcha.   Sounds like it might be a good deal, then.

I used Vinyl Me Please for a few years. They do a good mix of music. I got things like Z by My Morning Jacket to Sorcerer by Miles Davis.

If you don’t like the record they’re sending, you can grab one from the archives, which gives great flexibility month to month.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

They take me back to a special place in time when they raged the DFW scene!

Saw them at Trees in June 1993. The opening was Tim swinging upside down back and forth across the stage strung up by his feet.

I was all…

631B9A21-BB23-4372-B773-62DB3185518F.gif.043720865d73c2f56f62309d0c25fa5f.gif

Caught them last year in Aug at Kessler. Everyone was right-side up throughout the entire show.

3 hours ago, GenXer said:

Saw them at Trees in June 1993. The opening was Tim swinging upside down back and forth across the stage strung up by his feet.

I was all…

631B9A21-BB23-4372-B773-62DB3185518F.gif.043720865d73c2f56f62309d0c25fa5f.gif

Caught them last year in Aug at Kessler. Everyone was right-side up throughout the entire show.

Yes! I was at that show.

Good times…the 90’s…(sigh)

On 2/4/2023 at 4:54 PM, CooterBrown said:

A buddy ordered a copy of the Rhino rerelease of Pantera’s Vulgar Display of Power. Instead of sending one record, they sent one case. Free Pantera for me.

Pantera on vinyl just seems completely and horrifically wrong. An abomination that should never exist.