Vinyl

CooterBrown

Those are some great pickups.

I guess this thread is pretty dead, huh.

I’ll list some recent acquisitions, too.

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue UHQR

The Doors - AP copies of L.A. Woman and Morrison Hotel

Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny RSD mono

Elvin Jones - Heavy Sounds, Japanese issue from the 70s. This one is hard to find in general.

Curtis Amy - Katanga! (Tone Poet)

Beatles - first UK press of Sgt. Pepper’s (bargain priced one that is actually pretty solid)

Ryo Fukui - TTL Scenery reissue

Freddie King - AP copy of Getting Ready (which is still in stock for $35, a steal!)

Explosions In The Sky - Big Bend

13th Floor Elevators - A OG 45 of You’re Gonna Miss Me

Nirvana - the 30th anniversary Nevermind that included a bonus 7”. This one got a lot of hate because with wasn’t analog but it’s actually not bad at all, and the jacket is a gatefold tip-on, the nicest it’s ever been.

Baby Huey - The Baby Huey 2018 RSD AAA reissue

Eddie Hazel - the recent reissue of Game, Dames, and Guitar Thangs (grabbed the Zia records version)

Gram Parsons - ‘74 OG of Grievous Angel

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally hit up the local record store and it was picked over.  Eventually, I found a nice copy of Zappa/Mothers Overnight Sensation.  Hit up a local vintage shop, which had a lot less selection but in the three small stacks they did have, I got nice copies of Jerry Garcia Band's Cats Under the Stars and Grateful Dead's Terrapin Station.  Pretty successful little haul.

Well a buddy of mine is gifting me his gently used Pro Ject Essential III with an Ortofon Super OM 10 cartridge for in exchange for a bottle of Red Breast Single Pot Still Cask Strength so I'm coming out way ahead there. Plus, he knows my wife is a Duran Duran fangirl & is giving her a spare copy of Rio which will thrill her & make me a fucking hero. Win-win.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:04 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Well a buddy of mine is gifting me his gently used Pro Ject Essential III with an Ortofon Super OM 10 cartridge for in exchange for a bottle of Red Breast Single Pot Still Cask Strength so I'm coming out way ahead there.

That is a very nice player.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:04 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Plus, he knows my wife is a Duran Duran fangirl & is giving her a spare copy of Rio which will thrill her 

Sounds like your buddy is gonna get laid.

What do you look for when buying vinyls?

The most obvious is the original pressing if for collectibility?  I like the 180g for the heft and presumed durability. Other than that I dont pay attention to re-pressing, re-issuiance, or language / country of sale (when buying used). 
Anything else?

Also sometimes my record player auto-start feature lands on the edge of the disc but it doesn’t catch and eventually slides off the record. This is even with brand new records. Is it supposed to be a common occurence?

The player/stylus has adjustment for cartridge force and stylus counterbalance, but nothing to control the auto-play location/distance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

What do you look for when buying vinyls?

The most obvious is the original pressing if for collectibility?  I like the 180g for the heft and presumed durability. Other than that I dont pay attention to re-pressing, re-issuiance, or language / country of sale (when buying used). 
Anything else?

Also sometimes my record player auto-start feature lands on the edge of the disc but it doesn’t catch and eventually slides off the record. This is even with brand new records. Is it supposed to be a common occurence?

The player/stylus has adjustment for cartridge force and stylus counterbalance, but nothing to control the auto-play location/distance. 

When buying vinyl, if it's a repress, I read reviews of it to see how it sounds.  In buying several Stones albums recently, it became clear that through various repressing, some are far superior to others.

On your turntable, what brand is it?  I have a 1970s Dual 1245.  When the tone arm drops start getting wonky, it's almost always the fault of the steuerpimpel, a/k/a the little plastic glider pad that makes contact with the tone arm mechanism on the underside of the turntable and allows it to move smoothly.  If they fall off or crack, where the arm drops is anyone's guess.

• Hook 'Em 2

Regarding buying records.  (I starting buying albums when I was about 10 or so, and I'm 49 now).  I prefer the orginal pressings vs. the 180 gram re-releases.

The problem with the 180's are bascially what dcbc mentioned.  They are hit or miss. 

I don't own tons of the new releases, but for example;

My copies of Ryan Adams and the Cardinals "Cold Roses," Whiskytown's first record, and Elton John's "Honky Chateau," sound phenominal.  My copies of Black Crowes "Southern Music and Harmony Companion," and REM's "Automatic for the People," don't sound very good at all.

I got to thinking about why.  Well hell, all the vinyl pressers in the 70's and 80's (who knew what they were doing" are either retired or no longer with us.  

My other problem is the price of all records these days.  Good lord.  Most of my records that I bought mostly in the 90's and 2000's, have a $2.98-$5.98 price tag on them. Sigh.

Also, the plural of vinyl is vinyl.  :)

• Hook 'Em 2

You definitely have to look at who is doing the repress. Acoustic Sound, Runout Groove, and many others do excellent represses. For many old albums the represses will sound better. Anything original vinyl made pre-65 or so will often sound worse than a quality repress because they were originally mastered for listening on low fi shitty equipment.

For new releases, I always buy the rarest first edition being offered. No real reason other than I like the unique offerings.

If you really want something that’s currently expensive second hand, just wait. Most anything that was on a mid to major label will be repressed every few years unless there’s an issue with the masters (legal or lost) or there’s just no audience for it. A good example was PJ Harvey’s Stories… album. My favorite of all time and out of print for a decade. A year ago it was $400 on Discogs. She ended up doing a high quality repress of her entire catalog and I finally got it new for $30.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Regarding buying records.  (I starting buying albums when I was about 10 or so, and I'm 49 now).  I prefer the orginal pressings vs. the 180 gram re-releases.

The problem with the 180's are bascially what dcbc mentioned.  They are hit or miss. 

I don't own tons of the new releases, but for example;

My copies of Ryan Adams and the Cardinals "Cold Roses," Whiskytown's first record, and Elton John's "Honky Chateau," sound phenominal.  My copies of Black Crowes "Southern Music and Harmony Companion," and REM's "Automatic for the People," don't sound very good at all.

I got to thinking about why.  Well hell, all the vinyl pressers in the 70's and 80's (who knew what they were doing" are either retired or no longer with us.  

My other problem is the price of all records these days.  Good lord.  Most of my records that I bought mostly in the 90's and 2000's, have a $2.98-$5.98 price tag on them. Sigh.

Also, the plural of vinyl is vinyl.  :)

Another reason I'm not fond of 180 gram reissues, a lot of albums become 2 disc sets. I hate having to flip sides every 3rd song. 

I have a 1959 copy of Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads that has amazing   fidelity.  No need to upgrade it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

On your turntable, what brand is it?  I have a 1970s Dual 1245.  When the tone arm drops start getting wonky, it's almost always the fault of the steuerpimpel, a/k/a the little plastic glider pad that makes contact with the tone arm mechanism on the underside of the turntable and allows it to move smoothly.  If they fall off or crack, where the arm drops is anyone's guess.

Got a Thorens TD103A. The arm will drop gently onto the disc edge. Just seems to me it needs to drop farther into the disc. If far enough, the needle will catch the lead-in groove and itll guide to the first. Sometimes it seems it doesnt catch anything and slides off. 

Or maybe its far enough into the disc but theres just not enough weight on the stylus to catch (the shallow?) lead-in groove?

On buying vinyl so it seems you need to research each print to make sure they’re the best sounding release?

So far I’ve just searched for albums I like and if it’s fairly priced new, or old in EX- condition, i buy. Speaking of which it’s impossible to find reasonably priced Radiohead records here — they all cost more than the $35 asking directly from Radiohead for new

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Rip76 said:

My copies of Black Crowes "Southern Music and Harmony Companion,

I was just about to ask for more opinions on this one.  I really wanted a vinyl copy, but everything I've read is that it's terrible.  The biggest problem is what source material they use.  From what I've read about SH&MC, it's pretty compressed and sounds like they used the digital master.  I've got a lot of stuff I bought in the 90s that sounds great, but there are plenty of original pressings from the 70s that aren't the best.  Thankfully, my recent Stones  acquisitions were well researched.  Exile was the toughest because there is a half-speed remaster that is mostly NLA.  But I found a new copy a couple of weeks ago for a reasonable price and jumped on it.

Currently, I've got the 20th Anniversary Paul's Boutique on the way along with a copy of Son Volt's trace.  Both have very positive reviews on the repress.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I was just about to ask for more opinions on this one.  I really wanted a vinyl copy, but everything I've read is that it's terrible. 

That said, I've got the 20th Anniversary Paul's Boutique on the way along with a copy of Son Volt's trace.  Both have very positive reviews.

Terrible.

I need both of those albums myself.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Got a Thorens TD103A. The arm will drop gently onto the disc edge. Just seems to me it needs to drop farther into the disc. If far enough, the needle will catch the lead-in groove and itll guide to the first. Sometimes it seems it doesnt catch anything and slides off. 

Or maybe its far enough into the disc but theres just not enough weight on the stylus to catch (the shallow?) lead-in groove?

On buying vinyl so it seems you need to research each print to make sure they’re the best sounding release?

So far I’ve just searched for albums I like and if it’s fairly priced new, or old in EX- condition, i buy. Speaking of which it’s impossible to find reasonably priced Radiohead records here — they all cost more than the $35 asking directly from Radiohead for new

I think someone mentioned Steve Hoffman forums above.  Or you can start on Amazon.  The reviews will tell you pretty quick if it's a crap repress.

Brief rundown, based on my admittedly quick research in the last year of acquiring them, of which of the 1968-1971 Stones albums represses to grab (of course, with some, you'll find the occasional negative review or comparison to original, but for what it's worth):

Exile on Main Street:  Abbey Road Half-speed remaster

Sticky Fingers:  A/R 1/2 Speed Remaster or 2015 repress (I have 2015)

Let it Bleed:  2009.  This is my favorite Stones album.  To my ears, it sounds incredible. 

Beggar's Banquet:  LONDON PS-539 LP abkco reissue gatefold (Looks like from 1986)

• Hook 'Em 1

I like overwrought super deluxes with everything but the kitchen sink thrown into a large hologramed box of which I'll probably listen to only the title LP which was available stand-alone for a mere fraction of the price. It's how I seem to roll.

To that end, the LZ collection is rounding out...

4a5781a8163922d72540c7714d545ef0.jpg

In my defense, though, I've been pretty good about reading the books. And the Zep books in these super deluxes are phenomenal. Tons of ephemera I've never seen. Love the context that stuff provides.

And you people that dig those dinky old pressings that damn near fold over themselves when you hold them are animals. 180g or gtfo, respectfully.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Is there a go-to place for records new and used, or is it just Amazon + Discogs?

For used, Discogs is the place. Sometimes eBay, but you have to 100% know what you are looking for there.

For new, there is of course Amazon, but there’s lot of good record stores that sell online.

The In Groove, Acoustic Sounds (they do fantastic AAA reissues themselves, and the same company owns Quality Record Pressings, and the reissue label Analogue Productions), and Plaid Room Records are some.

If you aren’t US based though then those than be iffy. AS does ship internationally with a $50 minimum, though (I think).

• 2 weeks later...

Grabbed new copies of DSOTM, New Order's power corruption lies, blood on the tracks, and arcade fire's funeral 2017 180g reissue.

Last one was a disappointment.  Should've read the discogs reviews first.  Some tracks have popping noises, and overall sounds flat and boring compared to the digital/streaming version.  Apparently no issue of this album sound good.  Either they or their label didn't care about the vinyl production.  Its a shame for one of the decade's hallmark indie albums

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Had a custom cab built to house the center speaker (upgraded the entire frontline to Atlantic Technology 8200s) which let me move the turntable up to the top, meaning I have no vertical limitations now - so the hunt begins for my endgame player. Thinking a VPI Prime or maybe stay with Pro-Ject and their RPM 10? Regardless, things are getting pretty real over here.
47814f6e0426f9bfe30274dace0df0e2.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 12:18 AM, BoomMF said:

Had a custom cab built to house the center speaker (upgraded the entire frontline to Atlantic Technology 8200s) which let me move the turntable up to the top, meaning I have no vertical limitations now - so the hunt begins for my endgame player. Thinking a VPI Prime or maybe stay with Pro-Ject and their RPM 10? Regardless, things are getting pretty real over here.

tenor.gif?itemid=6237899&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 1

Kid A Amnesia 3LP double album set.  Pretty stoked because RH and PF are known for meticulous quality of vinyl. 

Unfortunately got these items that are indefinitely on backordered: In Rainbows; Interpol-Turn on Bright Lights; Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

PfKe_HBTTM6d9ab7u5YxNdw6s7NRGi_lYdfSlUY5tNh3P56l-kyqwawExd814S6dl199l9t5O7-KK46aUGtDfgjCP2IFJfvceeRH4NqmqoMnC446VM167x9EKsiKPvNy2Gx3dhhfRAaUc4IKEqPEGUBNHeqgRpThpZGrpuiATeSLOx5UtZIVvazG70SuRA-iZ9eJIZ8eptSKZqqb4lrtrtE4UHr4vhtNjIp5X-xk_ixsIdFhKSUsy0H6pKSh_EfRW1keZdoee6hcb8oQUNPbM-CrC4oyp8qR0A6Qs4x6p_on_JS9uRuADK2FZ6kwFVF4VZj7QouplBplgen-qY-6ZQgaWEh3MSkAZA8vzhgobtlXyIJy82DouOTPXzUpXiRb6sIVkZ2tgEmkey1ctgCTCBx4tCq6PT-6M-fB2dfcUzBRI8cpvF6nyjS8O90ZkPDofWn8jx1dyJmtQmNGep6GOk9Qz98AR-LKOU3h1DItBYDG-E0e88qLalqbwFOszaAxZHGGiukbOcJmnPHRRbsVZ6WdwheQ3wiATfjFGuxqKwtfEa4AQRcHaQD6GWMl5-jZTHAjESEEnaDXXDt-1mjWLLjbiOZ5kdhznjTx36rfcsFLd-j8syoYUho-irLS5psZS9EFRkPtpzb4qeu9r3ysY3AVTi91e2sX6Pa3Trr2Bgoq-iuJGp3Zy1hooYNWroXpUpQ11chANjBxJT451Q=w1246-h934-no?authuser=0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Anyone grab the UHQR Are You Experienced?

I did even though I have a nice OG tricolor Reprise.

Should be great.

I'd bet it is.  But too rich for my blood.  Hope the regular version sounds good.  It's on my list.