The WNBA is BACK!!!!!

Uncle Boobs

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

fucking LULZ

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wnba-liz-cambage-calls-out-sun-coach-curt-miller-disrespect-weight-apology-172039407.html

I have a hard time believing that an NBA coach would have been suspended if he called out Shaq or Barkley for being a fatass while complaining to the refs  

that's so fucking retarded. i thought they wanted equality? while she's crying about the coach saying she weighs 300 lbs, she says this:

E0D5DB01-DFE1-4CFD-AAE7-2392D4E5D412.jpeg

so, he says she weighs 300 lbs and he's suspended and fined, meanwhile she brings race into the picture out of nowhere and she's a hero? the idea that they want equality is bullshit. imagine if the white coach had said, "i don't want anyone getting preferential treatment, especially not some fat black bitch. ever ever ever." they don't want equality, they want to have carte blanche to say and do whatever they want.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

"he should be fired and not allowed to coach women."

EQUALITY!

I like:

The fact that she is well over 200 pounds 

It wasn't meant as an insult 

She then insults his race and size by saying:

"especially a little white one"

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm currently being killed on twitter by SJWs for pointing out the hypocrisy. it's pretty funny. 

Also I'm sure he'd love to not have to coach women ever again. It would mean he's a better coach and he'd make more money. 

But I'm sure that's sexist, too. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lhorn said:

“I'm very proud of being a big bitch, big body, big Benz, baby.“

(Upset at a shot at her weight.) 

If insults were fineable in the NBA, Larry Bird would still be paying down his tab. 

Players insulting players is one thing.   Coaches generally do not insult players.

58 minutes ago, d2o said:

Players insulting players is one thing.   Coaches generally do not insult players.

Okay but I don't think it was an "insult". She's a big gal. She gets paid to be a big gal. He exaggerated her weight a bit. Boo fucking hoo. If you weren't 6'8" 235 you wouldn't be a professional athlete. 

1 hour ago, d2o said:

if an NBA coach was complaining to a ref about a call involving Shaquille O'Neal and he said, "he weighs 500 lbs!" would that even be a blip on anyone's radar? i mean if microphones picked it up they would play it on Sportscenter and TNT and everyone would laugh. this guy got fined and suspended, and forced to apologize to the player. meanwhile she's being openly racist after the fact, and nobody has a problem with that. wow. just wow.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, shadow_operative said:

if an NBA coach was complaining to a ref about a call involving Shaquille O'Neal and he said, "he weighs 500 lbs!" would that even be a blip on anyone's radar? i mean if microphones picked it up they would play it on Sportscenter and TNT and everyone would laugh. this guys got fined and suspended, and forced to apologize to the player. meanwhile she's being openly racist after the fact, and nobody has a problem with that. wow. just wow.

Whole lot of layers to this thing as there are with most.     But go off, I guess.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Whole lot of layers to this thing as there are with most.     But go off, I guess.

lol, okie dokie. no one here is "going off", and there are not "a whole lot of layers" to this. it's all very cut and dry. but uh, keep advocating for inequality/special treatment for women i guess. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol, okie dokie. no one here is "going off", and there are not "a whole lot of layers" to this. it's all very cut and dry. but uh, keep advocating for inequality/special treatment for women i guess. 

So saying she is big isn't an insult but her saying he is a "little white coach" is racist, right?   Do I like her taking it there?  Nope but if one isn't an insult in you guys' eyes then the other isn't.   

Edited by d2o

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

So saying she is big isn't an insult but her saying he is a "little white coach" is racist, right?

jesus christ, yes. obviously yes, you closeted SJW. she's a gigantic person and he described as such using colorful language. it's is the exact same thing as if an NBA coach said to a ref, "he weighs 500 lbs!" about Shaq. would that coach be fined? would he be suspended? forced to apologize? of course not. it's a total non issue. could not possibly be less of an issue. 

meanwhile the "victim" derisively brings up the coach's size and race and she's a hero. give me a break. i've made 8 billion posts here, and you don't ever hear me talking about "cancel culture" or "SJWs" because all of that shit childish and stupid, but that's absolutely what's happening here. there's no other way to describe it. this is not equality. this is the opposite of that.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

jesus christ, yes. obviously yes, you closeted SJW. she's a gigantic person and he described as such using colorful language. it's is the exact same thing as if an NBA coach said to a ref, "he weighs 500 lbs!" about Shaq. would that coach be fined? would he be suspended? forced to apologize? of course not. it's a total non issue. could not possibly be less of an issue. 

meanwhile the "victim" derisively brings up the coach's size and race and she's a hero. give me a break. i've made 8 billion posts here, and you don't ever hear me talking about "cancel culture" or "SJWs" because all of that shit childish and stupid, but that's absolutely what's happening here. there's no other way to describe it. this is not equality. this is the opposite of that.

So should I take that as an insult?   hahahahaaha.   

And you dont mention SJWs.....................but you've mentioned them multiple times in the last 15 mins.  

Edited by d2o

While I originally brought up the comparison of an  NBA coach making a similar comment  about Shaq or Barkley, I also suggest  a female WNBA coach making the exact same comment wouldn't receive the same punishment. The player didn't like the comment coming from a man. If he had accused her of being 255 instead of 300 is that basis for suspension? How accurate must he be? whats an acceptable margin of error?   

Whatever, I'll continue to not watch  their shitty product and laugh at their claims they should get paid like their male counterparts. Far worse things get said in the NBA on  a nightly basis, and nobody is getting suspended.

• Hook 'Em 5

This whole thing is a little absurd, but if you want to be a man who coaches women, you should probably realize that they can be a little sensitive about their weight.  I make a habit of simply not discussing how much a woman weighs in her presence, but if there’s a gun to my head and I have to guess, I’m going to err on the low side.  

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

This whole thing is a little absurd, but if you want to be a man who coaches women, you should probably realize that they can be a little sensitive about their weight.  I make a habit of simply not discussing how much a woman weighs in her presence, but if there’s a gun to my head and I have to guess, I’m going to err on the low side.  

Careful, you're advocating for inequality and special treatment for women.

Yes, a woman that is 6'8" and probably got/gets all types of taunts about her size all the time might be a little sensitive about people making comments (especially one in her industry) making derogatory comments about her size.

In the grand scheme, its definitely more drama about it than it needs to be but as you said as a man in that industry, one should understand the women that you are working with and what they might find offensive.

Edited by d2o

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

Careful, you're advocating for inequality and special treatment for women.

Yes, a woman that is 6'8" and probably got/gets all types of taunts about her size all the time might be a little sensitive about people making comments (especially one in her industry) making derogatory comments about her size.

In the grand scheme, its definitely more drama about it than it needs to be but as you said as a man in that industry, one should understand the women that you are working with and what they might find offensive.

In your first sentence you mock the idea that someone is advocating for inequality and special treatment for women. You spend the rest of your post advocating for inequality and special treatment for women.

You were a kid once, do you genuinely believe that oversized boys weren't also teased for their size or that they didn't develop insecurities about those things? And then you go on to say that men specifically should be careful about what they say.

I agree that they should, but the inability to admit that the requirement they be careful isn't because of inequality and special treatment is just silly.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, d2o said:

Bruh. She plays basketball for a living. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

In your first sentence you mock the idea that someone is advocating for inequality and special treatment for women. You spend the rest of your post advocating for inequality and special treatment for women.

You were a kid once, do you genuinely believe that oversized boys weren't also teased for their size or that they didn't develop insecurities about those things? And then you go on to say that men specifically should be careful about what they say.

I agree that they should, but the inability to admit that the requirement they be careful isn't because of inequality and special treatment is just silly.

The first sentence was sarcasm.  Might wanna check your meter.

what the WNBA player said about the coach is inarguably more offensive and out of line than anything he said about her. she's a 6'8" center and he essentially said, "she's large." meanwhile she speaks derisively about his race and gender, and she's the hero and he's the villian. that is some ass backwards, regressive-ass logic there.

• Hook 'Em 2

So they don't want equal pay with the NBA, but their goal is the same revenue split as the NBA 50/50.  The problem the owners say if they did that would be that everyone who is not a player would have to make minimum wage (simply not enough revenue to cover the expenses).

Spoiler

It's a concern serious enough that it might cause the WNBA Players Association to opt out of the current collective bargaining agreement, which won't expire until 2022, after the 2019 season.

If that happens, it will be the most serious concern the 22-year-old league has faced.

Established and opened for business in 1996, the WNBA has seen the culture and climate of women's sports evolve exponentially over the past two decades, but the league itself has grown only marginally as a business entity during that time.

It was owned as a single entity by the NBA and subsidized by the billions of dollars the men's league made. Originally, the NBA owned all the franchises.

Led by then-commissioner David Stern, the Association viewed the WNBA as a long-term business investment, banking that it would grow eventually into a profitable revenue stream. It didn't, or at least not to the expectations of the NBA. In 2002, it sold teams to either their NBA counterparts or third parties.

That meant the league's salary structure was no longer set by the NBA. It was controlled by the most basic economic principle: the law of supply and demand.

"Whatever sport, job you are in, entertainer, you make what the market bears," said veteran Washington Mystics coach Mike Thibault, whose team was swept by the Seattle Storm in the best-of-five WNBA Finals on Wednesday. The players, he added, "are making what the market bears right now, unfortunately.

"But until we start having bigger crowds, more revenue, the reality is that not many teams are actually making money."

That doesn't pacify the players.

This is a new generation of women's basketball player. The ones coming into the WNBA today have never really known a time when there was not a professional women's league in the United States. They don't know a time when American women had to go overseas to make any money from playing basketball.

These players weren't born when Hall of Fame legend Larry Bird set a rookie contract record by signing a five-year deal worth $3.25 million — or $650,000 a year — in 1979. It took 33 seasons for the NBA to get that point – 11 more than the WNBA has existed.

When Magic Johnson signed a 25-year extension worth $25 million in 1981, he joined Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Moses Malone as the only NBA players making $1 million a season at that time.

The maximum salary for the 2018 season in the WNBA was $115,500. The minimum for three or more years of service was $56,100, and $41,202 for two or fewer years, with a rookie scale between $40,000 and $50,000.

The minimum salary for an NBA player for the 2018-19 season will be $838,464. The highest-paid players in the WNBA make less than 14 percent of that.

According to Forbes magazine, the NBA generated nearly $7.7 billion in revenue in 2016-17. The actual revenue generated by the WNBA is not known, but Forbes had a recent article that projected the WNBA's at a minimum of  $52.4 million.

Of course, operating costs such as salaries for all employees, facility use, game-day operations, marketing, travel, housing, player per diems, health insurance, a 401(k) plan and other business expenses have to be subtracted from the revenue.

How much does that leave for increased pay?

From the WNBA players' perspective, it doesn't really matter. They just see that they still have to play in foreign countries after the season to supplement their WNBA wages.

"You can live off of [the WNBA salary]," said Mystics guard and former Saint Joseph's player Natasha Cloud, who is about to finish her rookie contract. "You have to budget, but if it's just me, yes, it's a living wage.

"But we're just like male athletes. This is how we provide for our families. We don't want to have to go overseas away from our families for seven months out of the year to make a decent amount of money."

Even though the WNBA and NBA are both basketball leagues, this is not an equal-pay-for-equal-work situation. As business organizations, they don't have much in common beyond three letters in their names.

The reality of what the WNBA is as a business compared with the NBA is does not necessarily factor into the players' thoughts. They're simply looking for higher salaries.

"What's the meeting area?" said WNBA rookie of the Year A'ja Wilson, a member of the Las Vegas Aces. "That's what we're trying to figure out.

"We're not out here demanding that we make equal as the men. We're just saying we should be paid what we are worth. We're not saying it's a gazillion dollars, but it's more than what we get right now."

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/wnba-players-salaries-nba-collective-bargaining-agreement-opt-out-possibility-20180914.html

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what the WNBA player said about the coach is inarguably more offensive and out of line than anything he said about her. she's a 6'8" center and he essentially said, "she's large." meanwhile she speaks derisively about his race and gender, and she's the hero and he's the villian. that is some ass backwards, regressive-ass logic there.

He was a little wrong and she was a little wronger.  Good?  

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, d2o said:

And she is a human being. 

So I'm supposed to weep for her because maybe she got teased growing up about her size and is still clearly easily offended by it yet at the same time she is making $220k a year to play a fucking game that it isn't that hard to get to the professional level in when you are as tall as she is. 

And I still fail to see how she was even insulted really. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So they don't want equal pay with the NBA, but their goal is the same revenue split as the NBA 50/50.  The problem the owners say if they did that would be that everyone who is not a player would have to make minimum wage (simply not enough revenue to cover the expenses).

Reveal hidden contents

It's a concern serious enough that it might cause the WNBA Players Association to opt out of the current collective bargaining agreement, which won't expire until 2022, after the 2019 season.

If that happens, it will be the most serious concern the 22-year-old league has faced.

Established and opened for business in 1996, the WNBA has seen the culture and climate of women's sports evolve exponentially over the past two decades, but the league itself has grown only marginally as a business entity during that time.

It was owned as a single entity by the NBA and subsidized by the billions of dollars the men's league made. Originally, the NBA owned all the franchises.

Led by then-commissioner David Stern, the Association viewed the WNBA as a long-term business investment, banking that it would grow eventually into a profitable revenue stream. It didn't, or at least not to the expectations of the NBA. In 2002, it sold teams to either their NBA counterparts or third parties.

That meant the league's salary structure was no longer set by the NBA. It was controlled by the most basic economic principle: the law of supply and demand.

"Whatever sport, job you are in, entertainer, you make what the market bears," said veteran Washington Mystics coach Mike Thibault, whose team was swept by the Seattle Storm in the best-of-five WNBA Finals on Wednesday. The players, he added, "are making what the market bears right now, unfortunately.

"But until we start having bigger crowds, more revenue, the reality is that not many teams are actually making money."

That doesn't pacify the players.

This is a new generation of women's basketball player. The ones coming into the WNBA today have never really known a time when there was not a professional women's league in the United States. They don't know a time when American women had to go overseas to make any money from playing basketball.

These players weren't born when Hall of Fame legend Larry Bird set a rookie contract record by signing a five-year deal worth $3.25 million — or $650,000 a year — in 1979. It took 33 seasons for the NBA to get that point – 11 more than the WNBA has existed.

When Magic Johnson signed a 25-year extension worth $25 million in 1981, he joined Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Moses Malone as the only NBA players making $1 million a season at that time.

The maximum salary for the 2018 season in the WNBA was $115,500. The minimum for three or more years of service was $56,100, and $41,202 for two or fewer years, with a rookie scale between $40,000 and $50,000.

The minimum salary for an NBA player for the 2018-19 season will be $838,464. The highest-paid players in the WNBA make less than 14 percent of that.

According to Forbes magazine, the NBA generated nearly $7.7 billion in revenue in 2016-17. The actual revenue generated by the WNBA is not known, but Forbes had a recent article that projected the WNBA's at a minimum of  $52.4 million.

Of course, operating costs such as salaries for all employees, facility use, game-day operations, marketing, travel, housing, player per diems, health insurance, a 401(k) plan and other business expenses have to be subtracted from the revenue.

How much does that leave for increased pay?

From the WNBA players' perspective, it doesn't really matter. They just see that they still have to play in foreign countries after the season to supplement their WNBA wages.

"You can live off of [the WNBA salary]," said Mystics guard and former Saint Joseph's player Natasha Cloud, who is about to finish her rookie contract. "You have to budget, but if it's just me, yes, it's a living wage.

"But we're just like male athletes. This is how we provide for our families. We don't want to have to go overseas away from our families for seven months out of the year to make a decent amount of money."

Even though the WNBA and NBA are both basketball leagues, this is not an equal-pay-for-equal-work situation. As business organizations, they don't have much in common beyond three letters in their names.

The reality of what the WNBA is as a business compared with the NBA is does not necessarily factor into the players' thoughts. They're simply looking for higher salaries.

"What's the meeting area?" said WNBA rookie of the Year A'ja Wilson, a member of the Las Vegas Aces. "That's what we're trying to figure out.

"We're not out here demanding that we make equal as the men. We're just saying we should be paid what we are worth. We're not saying it's a gazillion dollars, but it's more than what we get right now."

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/wnba-players-salaries-nba-collective-bargaining-agreement-opt-out-possibility-20180914.html

I assume revenue split means more $$ for players.  Seems like asking for More money when teams are operating at a loss might jeopardize the future of the league. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 11:59 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

At least the WNBA is self-aware enough to not be asking for equal pay or complaining about resources/investments compared to the men's league. They know they are a subsidized loss-leader, for whatever reason.

I think most acknowledge the numbers game re salary discrepancy, but last I read, they are pressing hard for more investment to attract interest and grow the popularity of the league. Now is as good a time as any for that push. It'll never be anywhere as close to popular as the NBA, but there is certainly room to grow interest with smart targeted marketing campaigns.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

So I'm supposed to weep for her because maybe she got teased growing up about her size and is still clearly easily offended by it yet at the same time she is making $220k a year to play a fucking game that it isn't that hard to get to the professional level in when you are as tall as she is. 

And I still fail to see how she was even insulted really. 

Nope, you're not supposed to weep for her.   How much money she makes is irrelevant.     That's your prerogative to not see how she was insulted but its not your place to say that she shouldn't be.   

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

if an NBA coach was complaining to a ref about a call involving Shaquille O'Neal and he said, "he weighs 500 lbs!" would that even be a blip on anyone's radar? i mean if microphones picked it up they would play it on Sportscenter and TNT and everyone would laugh. this guy got fined and suspended, and forced to apologize to the player. meanwhile she's being openly racist after the fact, and nobody has a problem with that. wow. just wow.

I think the point is that nobody would ever say that to or about Shaq, and if they did it would be in a funny context, not out of anger over calls. I'm not seeing how it "wasn't an insult" coming from a coach on the sideline. I'm also not clear why the coach thinks her size matters to calls (should calls be different because a player is taller than the others?). Also, as pointed out above, it came from a coach during a game, which is much different than player trashtalk. It shouldn't be ignored, and the punishment was appropriate. Except for people who need to play the "whatabout" game. And for the record, I agree that the "little white guy" comment is unnecessary, but it is out of anger, and I would be okay if the league wanted to have a talk with her about that comment.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think the point is that nobody would ever say that to or about Shaq, and if they did it would be in a funny context, not out of anger over calls. I'm not seeing how it "wasn't an insult" coming from a coach on the sideline. I'm also not clear why the coach thinks her size matters to calls (should calls be different because a player is taller than the others?). Also, as pointed out above, it came from a coach during a game, which is much different than player trashtalk. It shouldn't be ignored, and the punishment was appropriate. Except for people who need to play the "whatabout" game. And for the record, I agree that the "little white guy" comment is unnecessary, but it is out of anger, and I would be okay if the league wanted to have a talk with her about that comment.

let me get this straight- the coach makes a comment *to a referee*, not to the player, but to an official, which basically amounts to, "their center is huge and is a handful to deal with defensively", and to you that warrants a fine and suspension. meanwhile, the girl makes blatantly disparaging and racist remarks about both the coach's size *and* his race, and you see no reason to take action. you have got to be kidding me.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

*maybe* if the girl was fat the his comment would be disparaging. she isn't fat. she's huge. saying as much should never ever ever ever result in a fine and suspension; not even for a small white man. that those of you arguing  otherwise don't see how regressive you're being is wild. 

Serious question, have you ever dealt with a woman?

Lulz, the most natural press coverage the WNBA will get this year is about what would get a call to HR in the private sector with a shaking the finger meeting and a mandatory one hour sensitivity training video. Congratulations WNBA, 15 minutes and back to irrelevance. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Context is important. Any of us would get fired for talking about a coworker's weight because most of us work in settings where a woman's size doesn't have an impact on her job performance. But in this case the coach is arguing for his players because the opponent's size is impacting the outcome of the game. NBA coaches have always done this against Shaq, Zion, etc.

If the coach was talking during the press conference and made fun of her weight by saying "When she sits around the house, she sits around the house" then yes, he should be fined and suspended. But this was in the heat of the game. If he didn't use completely appropriate language, then OK, he should apologize, but a fine and suspension are ridiculous.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Context is important. Any of us would get fired for talking about a coworker's weight because most of us work in settings where a woman's size doesn't have an impact on her job performance. But in this case the coach is arguing for his players because the opponent's size is impacting the outcome of the game. NBA coaches have always done this against Shaq, Zion, etc.

If the coach was talking during the press conference and made fun of her weight by saying "When she sits around the house, she sits around the house" then yes, he should be fined and suspended. But this was in the heat of the game. If he didn't use completely appropriate language, then OK, he should apologize, but a fine and suspension are ridiculous.

Well said.

23 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

"he should be fired and not allowed to coach women."

EQUALITY!

lmaoooo, this dude blocked me on twitter. that's a first for me. he *literally* went through 10 years of my tweets to try and find something offensive. when he found some dumb shit i said about the aggy women's basketball team (lol) he tried to call me on it, but when i owned it and said that i was wrong for that and that i had grown since then he blocked me 😂. hilarious.