Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

The fact that people are dying in open protest, almost daily and definitely weekly, from both sides, should let us know that we are already in a war and at war with ourselves.

There has been too big a gap and too wide a gulf to repair this with a simple fix like Biden getting elected. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I just went through Portland, what a fucking shithole it's become.

I’ve said this before, but nobody has any sympathy for anyone who lives somewhere where they are in active/open rebellion to the prevailing political zeitgeist. You think Portland sucks? Move. You want to stay and change it? Hawaiian shirt and Trump truck it up.

Otherwise we don’t wanna hear it.

5 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I’ve said this before, but nobody has any sympathy for anyone who lives somewhere where they are in active/open rebellion to the prevailing political zeitgeist. You think Portland sucks? Move. You want to stay and change it? Hawaiian shirt and Trump truck it up.

Otherwise we don’t wanna hear it.

I was just giving an update. I don't give a shit what happens in downtown. I mean a little bit, but just only a bit.

Spoiler because of someone being shot to death

it appears that two guys are involved in a verbal confrontation, one sprays mace and the other shoots. The shooting victim, who died, was wearing a Patriot Prayer hat, which... seems to be some kind of Proud Boys type outfit.

We are reaching the point were the protest/counter-protest encounters must be well-regulated. 

Protesting a protest has turned deadlier. 

Perhaps some of the John Wayne and Che suburbanites need to stay in their own fucking communities. 

There is nothing civil about a civil war. Read your history or we are doomed to make those mistakes again. 

Hook 'em. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Spoiler because of someone being shot to death

Reveal hidden contents

it appears that two guys are involved in a verbal confrontation, one sprays mace and the other shoots. The shooting victim, who died, was wearing a Patriot Prayer hat, which... seems to be some kind of Proud Boys type outfit.

On the one hand, this is bad and will only get worse. For all sides. Next couple months will be difficult and there is no leadership at the national level trying to make this better. And the local Ones just seem ineffectual at quelling the violence.

On the other hand, a supporter of an alt right/racist organization was killed but wasn’t it @Johnny Sack a couple pages back that said we shouldn’t feel bad when a bad person is shot? Kind of interested in how each side views this “bad person” being killed. 

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

Negged for posting that lying piece of shit conman as news. 

Negged for shooting the messenger. The source doesn't matter. What matters is it happened.  Wait... what's that ANTIFA is just peaceful protesters.  oh that's right sorry my mistake.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, achooloco said:

On the one hand, this is bad and will only get worse. For all sides. Next couple months will be difficult and there is no leadership at the national level trying to make this better. And the local Ones just seem ineffectual at quelling the violence.

1) Send in the national guard and Trump is accused of inciting the protests in the first place.  Don’t send them in and the violence happens anyways. State and local leadership and law enforcement issues seem to be a much more consistent factor in where this is occurring. 

2) 100% agree this will get worse at least through Election Day(s).

3) don’t really feel bad for this guy either but much like the other 1000 events like this, I will wait until the facts come out to fully decide

5 hours ago, Enchubben said:

1) Send in the national guard and Trump is accused of inciting the protests in the first place.  Don’t send them in and the violence happens anyways. State and local leadership and law enforcement issues seem to be a much more consistent factor in where this is occurring. 

2) 100% agree this will get worse at least through Election Day(s).

1) it's when the federal government sends in military forces without the consent of the state that it's inciting riots. Stop conflating the two. 

2) it's almost as if the candidate with the ability to escalate the violence has also made the violence a central point of his campaign or something...

Got any more qanon horseshit to post here? Maybe some hot tips about a pizza parlor or flat earth?

Edited by blacklab
time off for politics
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Negged for shooting the messenger. The source doesn't matter. What matters is it happened.  Wait... what's that ANTIFA is just peaceful protesters.  oh that's right sorry my mistake.

I think it's morally OK to try and stop a truck that's trying to plow through pedestrians while running a red light.

I think it's morally OK to try and stop a truck that's trying to plow through pedestrians while running a red light.

Is there video of this occurring? Did the trucks try to run down “protesters” before they were blocked?

It's an absolute certainty that people on both sides were being shitheads last night. I think somewhere in the thread from the NYT reporter above (probably the thread in the first twitter link I posted last night) there's video of some of the non trump people standing in front of a truck in a parking lot and preventing it from leaving. No idea of the backstory there, but if you're looking for that narrative there's a place where you can find it. The video you're asking for is linked above and is what is being discussed. There is also separate video of a car revving its engine and speeding dangerously down a busy street where, thankfully, people weren't killed.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

Is there video of this occurring? Did the trucks try to run down “protesters” before they were blocked?

"before they were blocked" is a hilarious addendum that's extremely revealing.

The giant trucks were trying to drive into pedestrians (wrong) and doing so against the light (also wrong). You can hate the individuals they are trying to run over, and that's fine, but it doesn't actually change the legal or moral calculation.

When there is a pedestrian in the road, even an annoying one you hate, you stop, because you are in a giant armored tank and they are on foot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm not speaking to single incidents.  There are for damn sure right wing assholes responding  to the protestors.  My response is more to the whitewashing, and creative editing that's been going on in a desperate attempt top make the protestors appear peaceful They are anything but and are using tactics that are morally, ethically, vulgar, and criminal.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm not speaking to single incidents.

Yes, you were.

Let me quote you:

The source doesn't matter. What matters is it happened.

-------

While there are "shitheads" on both sides, the camps are generally, "I am breaking things and stealing things and yelling and being annoying" vs. "I am outright trying to kill people or escalate interpersonal violence as much as possible." One of those is exponentially worse.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, you were.

Let me quote you:

The source doesn't matter. What matters is it happened.

-------

While there are "shitheads" on both sides, the camps are generally, "I am breaking things and stealing things and yelling and being annoying" vs. "I am outright trying to kill people or escalate interpersonal violence as much as possible." One of those is exponentially worse.

No I was speaking abbot the general situation. It has happened where people in. vehicles close have been mobbed and attacked. That one may not be an example, but there are many out there.  I love you trying to once again try to deflect, and ignore the larger reality.

To clarify a bit about my "shitheads" comment - I didn't mean to equivocate, more acknowledging if you're looking for instances of people being shitheads, you'll be able to find some where that is arguably the case to suit whatever perspective you are committed to.

No idea if these pictures were posted earlier in the thread, but apparently some photos of cops injured in the Portland demonstrations that were widely shared are actually Australian police injured over the past 15 years.

https://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2020/08/did-you-see-photos-of-officers-supposedly-injured-last-weekend-in-nw-cities-the-facts-dont-check-out.html

I'm sure that there have been actual American police who have been injured during the protests as well.