EPL 2017-2018

sidis

17 hours ago, maninblack said:

£25M for both and it’s on

Let's be real, the top 6 has picked apart the club down to the bones. Players of the quality of Lallana and Lovren are not going to a Championship side. you can take your £25M and shove it.

sorry, i am not in a very humorous mood at the moment. Take a terrible referee non call at Watford (2 points) and VVD gone (great example : we would have gotten 4 points, instead of none in the last two matches if he was on the team), i would have gotten to see/watch the team i love play every week next season.

14 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Let's be real, the top 6 has picked apart the club down to the bones. Players of the quality of Lallana and Lovren are not going to a Championship side. you can take your £25M and shove it.

sorry, i am not in a very humorous mood at the moment. Take a terrible referee non call at Watford (2 points) and VVD gone (great example : we would have gotten 4 points, instead of none in the last two matches if he was on the team), i would have gotten to see/watch the team i love play every week next season.

it takes 2 to tango.  you didn't have to sell.  and you didn't have to sell everyone.  it's not the big 6's fault you created the value for which you took their cash.

that said, despite yesterday's bendover, nothing is sorted for anyone below watford.  5 to play, get your points.  we are still at the point where everyone controls their destiny.

10 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

There’s also the part where Wolves are owned by a Chinese conglomerate and have a shady relationship with a super agent (Mendes). Fuck them.

they'll fit in right alongside city and chelsea...  if they can establish themselves and then move up to expand the "big" group.

Now the challenge for Pep is to break the 100-point barrier, but the national federations of all of his stars will be howling for their players to be benched.  Any one figuring in their national set-up for Russia will be a massive controversy if they are injured during the last 5 games, all against caged relegation animals who will be hacking and slashing scrapping and clawing for anything and everything.

city run-in:

sun 21apr swansea

sun 28apr @ham

sun 6may hudd

wed 9may brighthove

sun 13may @soton

special1 presser:

we were deservedly punished

we were masters in complication

one more touch one more turn one more trick

"i smell" ???

i have won 8 titles

lot's of people were in the moon because of the victory over city

but i have won to much to be in that

we deserved the punishment

city won because they got more points not because united give them the title today

+++

missing his favorite word, "fantastic"

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it takes 2 to tango.  you didn't have to sell.  and you didn't have to sell everyone.  it's not the big 6's fault you created the value for which you took their cash.

that said, despite yesterday's bendover, nothing is sorted for anyone below watford.  5 to play, get your points.  we are still at the point where everyone controls their destiny.

Didn't have to sell? come on. you got a guy on who served 1 year of his 6 year contract throwing his toys out of the pram, because some other team is telling him they can pay him £180,000 a week instead of the £60,000 he is currently making. What were Soton's options?

I guess Southampton's mistake was they created too much value. They flew pretty close to the sun in 2015-2016, been barreling toward earth ever since when Mane, Wanyama, Pelle and Kooiman left for the cash. VVD was the death blow.

i dunno, i guess Southampton had their run. What is the average stay in PL for the non Big 6 clubs? 5 or 6 years? just a rotating group of 14 clubs for the Top 6 to fill up their 38 game schedule.

You and Ramjet should start a Championship thread

Now we just need to win our next 3 to beat the points record. The remainder of our fixtures are against teams with pretty much nothing to play for. No relegation battles until So'ton at the end, by which point they'll know where they stand. Swansea this weekend is the toughest one for us, but I think they'll see this game as the one they can afford to lose in the run in since they're 5 points clear of 17th. The rest of their fixtures are much more beatable, barring Chelsea who might be still fighting for top-4 but probably not unless Tottenham lose to Brighton on Tuesday.

16 hours ago, yoladu said:

Didn't have to sell? come on. you got a guy on who served 1 year of his 6 year contract throwing his toys out of the pram, because some other team is telling him they can pay him £180,000 a week instead of the £60,000 he is currently making. What were Soton's options?

I guess Southampton's mistake was they created too much value. They flew pretty close to the sun in 2015-2016, been barreling toward earth ever since when Mane, Wanyama, Pelle and Kooiman left for the cash. VVD was the death blow.

i dunno, i guess Southampton had their run. What is the average stay in PL for the non Big 6 clubs? 5 or 6 years? just a rotating group of 14 clubs for the Top 6 to fill up their 38 game schedule.

You should've sold him last June and then you would've had 70m pounds in your coffers to replace him and replenish your squad. Instead your board chose to make a show of him and themselves. You also hired the wrong manager to start the season. You can be a selling club and still be moderately successful, but the margins are pretty fine. 

IMO your squad is too talented to go down, but shit happens I guess. 

23 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

nice result for Toon. football is fun again.

17 hours ago, maninblack said:

Trust in Rafa. Even though overcoming Ashley is a monumental task

That was a fun match to watch. Hearing the crowd erupt on the 2nd goal was great. Hope they can keep this going and finish off the season strong.

2 hours ago, Jograves said:

You should've sold him last June and then you would've had 70m pounds in your coffers to replace him and replenish your squad. Instead your board chose to make a show of him and themselves. You also hired the wrong manager to start the season. You can be a selling club and still be moderately successful, but the margins are pretty fine. 

IMO your squad is too talented to go down, but shit happens I guess. 

Don't disagree with any of that.

01) Bad manager hire. Worse: Not sacking him sooner.

02) Foolishly thinking we could compete without replacing Van Dijk or thinking we could find quality in the January window.

03) What money that was spent in the January window was on an Italian striker for £19.2m that has scored 0 goals in 500 minutes of playing time.

I am with you, the margins are very fine. The smaller clubs have to take risks on flyers and unproven commodities. Just two or three  bad board decisions can find a club that placed 8th or higher 4 years in a row in the Championship in a years time.

The flip side to relegation is the battle for promotion, which is still 11 teams deep with only 3 matches to go (4 in a couple of cases).  Wolverhampton have clinched.  Cardiff, Fulham, and Villa have at least locked up a play-off spot, but are battling for the second position to avoid that.  Another 7 teams are in contention for the final 2 play-off spots, most of whom have not sniffed the Premiere League in ages. 

Interestingly and without exception, having a positive goal differential mirrors contention for promotion.  That's not a shocking occurrence, but I was a little surprised that it broke that cleanly.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/championship/table

I love the promotion/relegation system, and wish we had something similar over here.    It should be an interesting last few weeks. 

Edited by idigTexas

On the other side of the spectrum, my small club is about to be relegated from the National League to the National League South. Torquay United was only two divisions away from Manchester City when I first picked the two clubs. Now they're 5 divisions away and headed in opposite directions.

• Fuck You 1