Favorite Female Vocalist?

Superhero

On 8/1/2020 at 10:07 AM, tbone_ said:

I can’t pick just one. My short list: Norah Jones, Bonnie Raitt, Linda Ronstadt, Sheryl Crow, Linda Ronstadt, Allison Kraus, and Linda Ronstadt.

Grace Potter, the girl from Lake Street Dive, and Brandi Carlyle get honorable mention.

Rep is for being the only one to mention Brandi Carlile...and the 3X Linda Ronstadt thing.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

6 hours ago, Cajun said:

When she switches from her Rod Stewart tribute at the 1:40 mark to her own voice, GOT-FUCKING-DAMN!  No need to worry sugar...

Yeah, she was a world-class, effortless natural singer.  Amazing.

I was on a subway in NYC around 1989 or so, and a stunning woman got on and sat across from me.  Calf-length bright purple overcoat, dressed to the nines, all by herself.  It was Donna Summer.  To say she had "star power" would be a major understatement.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/31/2020 at 6:18 PM, noharleyyet said:

Adele is pretty damn strong but Etta James and Linda Ronstadt do it for me. 

I too like adele's  booming voice, but holy shit if I don't feel divorced 3 times or like I'm getting Fatal Attractioned by the end of her songs.

Others whom I truly enjoy:

Cyndi Lauper

Alison Krauss

Dolores O'Riordan

Patsy Cline

Tina Turner

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, she was a world-class, effortless natural singer.  Amazing.

I was on a subway in NYC around 1989 or so, and a stunning woman got on and sat across from me.  Calf-length bright purple overcoat, dressed to the nines, all by herself.  It was Donna Summer.  To say she had "star power" would be a major understatement.

Two things -

A. I never thought of the word "stunning" as having the potential to be used as an understatment until now.

B. I hate you, I really do!

On 8/8/2020 at 6:44 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Yep, Joss Stone should be a whole lot more famous than she is.

Yea, I mean she's 5'10", drop dead gorgeous, amazingly talented, and pretty damn funny and engaging on instagram. 

I'd also add Hope Sandoval since I can't believe we're on page two and she hasn't come up. 

I’m bored with so much of the “new” stuff so I’ve gone back to listening to older stuff.  I cued up some old Louis Armstrong stuff on Spotify and he does some duets with Ella Fitzgerald.

It is truly remarkable how clear, perfect and incredible her voice is.  No autotune. Simple recording devices.  Just her.  

Every note coming out of her mouth is pure perfection.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I’m bored with so much of the “new” stuff so I’ve gone back to listening to older stuff.  I cued up some old Louis Armstrong stuff on Spotify and he does some duets with Ella Fitzgerald.

It is truly remarkable how clear, perfect and incredible her voice is.  No autotune. Simple recording devices.  Just her.  

Oh yeah she's unreal. Gotta be one of the best ever from a technical standpoint. Check out her live albums.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

Ella was and still is one of the queens.  I'll tell ya somebody else to check out is Mahalia Jackson. Gospel singer, good god the pipes on that woman.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

Bjork

Stevie Nicks / Christine McVie

PJ Harvey

Patti Smith

Cindy Wilson 

Debbie Harry

Kate Bush

Siouxsie Sioux

Courtney Love (not apologizing for this one, no one can scream like 90s Courtney)

Kim Gordon

I beg to differ... yer mom last night..... (Surly obligatory).

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2020 at 4:33 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Alison Krauss has the voice of an angel and was the first name to pop into my head when I read the thread title.  I love several of the other women listed above, but I'll stay with Alison.

Gotdamright. Give this man a cigar. Her version of Keith Whitley's "When You Say Nothing at All" may be the best vocal recording of any song I can remember. Another great song that gets very little airplay, or attention is a haunting tale based on a true story from the 1850's about two small boys that froze to death:

CHIEF

• 1 year later...

Here’s Joni singing at the Newport Folk Festival this weekend. Before you rag on her voice, remember that she’s 78 and still recovering from a brain aneurysm in 2015 that left her unable to walk or talk. I think it’s pretty damn cool  Here’s one clip  there  are others out there if interested  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/1/2020 at 10:59 AM, ztejas said:

To add some Irish to the mix, love both Dolores O'Riordan and Sinead O'Connor. 

Tracy Chapman can fucking sing.

I know there are other more classic examples like Aretha or Whitney Houston, but Dolores O'Riordan is an all timer for my taste. Beautiful voice that felt visceral, aggressive, and feminine all at once. RIP. 

• Hook 'Em 1