8/1, it’s time for the Hatch Chili thread

MirrOlure

On 8/4/2022 at 4:47 PM, Buzzrock said:

Anyone know how to get these in other areas of the country? The Arizona State alumni club in Atlanta used to do a big roasting event but I don’t think they do it any more.

Buzz, talk to the produce manager at Whole Foods.  Hulla and I used to get a 25 lb. carton of them from Fresh Market before they bellied up.  They can order for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/16/2020 at 5:37 PM, Brisketexan said:

This (although the article didn't really call her out).  "Authenticity" snobs denigrate regional variations that are -- gasp -- authentic and local as hell within their region.  She thought tex-mex was an abomination.  Generations of South Texans call it home cooking, and still do.  It's authentic as hell.  And those same South Texans wouldn't know a mole sauce if you dumped it on their heads.  Different people, different regions, different foods.  Shit, Mexico itself has numerous "indigenous" styles, many of which don't look like the very particular stuff in a Dianna Kennedy cookbook.

Back to the thread topic, saw roasted bags in HEB a little while ago -- didn't grab any, but will later this week.  Green chile scrambled eggs are one of my comfort foods.  I'm also seeing some green chile pork stew in my future.  And.....for the tomatillos, I'm gonna share a super cheater shortcut that's fantastic.  It already has salt, and other goodies that you're already going to put into your stew:

0072878275700_CR_ITEMMASTER_default_larg

Tomatillo, Cilantro, Garlic, Serrano Pepper, Onion, Salt, Citric Acid

I saute pork in bacon grease, then add onions and garlic to the saute.  Then I add a bit of water and a jar of the Herdez and a bay leaf, simmer till the pork is tender.  Add some diced potato and a dash of comino and simmer a bit longer, till potato is done.  I add another jar of Herdez, and a shitload of diced green chile near the end.  If it needs salt, I add a bit of knorr chicken bullion powder (a fixture in every mexican kitchen).  It's so.  Fucking.  Easy.  And so good.  

Seriously, I used to mess with the tomatillos myself, and then when I realized that the salsa is mostly tomatillo, is really good, and makes for a perfect recipe shortcut, DONE.

Would be nice if the weather cooled off a bit, though.

i think that's a bit harsh, and maybe even snobby from your standpoint.  sure, she insulted lots of people by calling our food texmex, but to say she "denigrated regional variations" is not accurate.   she has cookbooks that breakdown dishes by region of mexico.  she wasnt dead when you posted this but is a legend and would be in the hall of fame with julia child and jacque pepin if there was one.  she highlighted home cooks all over mexico.  

more to the thread topic, she has a recipe for moctezuma pie in one of her cookbooks, its like a layered (instead of rolled) enchilada casserole that calls for poblano peppers.  I've made it with hatch and wouldnt make it any other way since.

Here’s a great recipe for green pork green chili I used to make in 12 gallon batches working in a Mexican joint In Memphis in the 70’s. Back then it was all canned chilies and they work fine but if you have roasted hatch all the better. Adjust and select your chilies to your taste.

2lbs ground pork
1lbs. ground beef
2 large onions chopped
1/2 cup chopped garlic
6 cups chopped green chilies (roasted hatch, or anaheims, or canned if all you got). Choose your heat level.
2lbs tomatillos shucked and steamed til tender (or green tomatoes). You can skip and just add another two cups chilies.
3 or 4 roasted poblanos, chopped seeded
1 cup chopped jalapeños, seeded
1 14 oz can small diced tomatoes
1 14oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp ancho chile
1 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp Mexican oregano
1 beer
Water or broth if needed.

In a large pot with some oil or bacon grease brown the meat and soften the onions. Add the garlic. Then add all the chilies and everything else, salt to your taste. Bring to high simmer then reduce and cook slow for an hour or two.

Oh, I'm gonna try that.  I've had a hard time dialing in a good green chile pork stew -- beware, the "recipe" attributed to Roaring Fork on some blog posts has WAY WAY WAY too much jalapeno powder -- and I haven't had time to start experimenting.  Thanks.

This is a pretty big pot. I suggest going milder if that’s a family issue. I don’t like mine too hot, I can always add heat. If you want to make it really good make it with 3 lbs I’d smoked pulled pork shoulder.

It wasn't a family issue -- the recipe went way over the top.  For 2 lb pork it called for

2 Tbsp jalapeno powder (~ 6 large jalapeno peppers)

5 Tbsp New Mexico green chile powder (~ 15 NM green chiles)

1 cup diced poblano peppers

Roasted serrano peppers to taste

Sorry, that's not tasty.  It was almost pure chile.  I mean, it's OK to aim for "hot", but there has to be some other flavors in there.   Yours looks legit.

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, I'm gonna try that.  I've had a hard time dialing in a good green chile pork stew -- beware, the "recipe" attributed to Roaring Fork on some blog posts has WAY WAY WAY too much jalapeno powder -- and I haven't had time to start experimenting.  Thanks.

Here you go man, straight from The Feast of Santa Fe by Huntley Dent:

30831F73-BF8A-4EFF-A73B-3832629903AF.thumb.jpeg.e76650b316d3e3dc956d2667fe6f04df.jpeg

B15843D5-D9F9-48F7-B2E6-41FCEFAD83A2.thumb.jpeg.38f613da4dac998769ea81b4a95fd48b.jpeg

We’ve developed the habit of alternating our Texas Chili with this Green Chile Stew recipe in the winter.

The Huntley Dent book is full of great recipes like this Green Chile Sauce and dozens of others:

39EFC704-7457-45F3-B4BD-CA61FBFA3F4D.thumb.jpeg.f5a5054662c7aa143034337cdba00f47.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I’ve posted my “cheat” recipe here using Herdez salsa verde for much of the liquid, right? It’s almost foolproof, and damned tasty.

Got some last weekend and did a very simple dish. Roasted them, chopped them up and put them in the crock pot with a pork butt, onion, garlic, and spices. Cooked all day and then shredded it that evening. Nothing extravagant, but really good. Put it over cauliflower rice, and have leftovers for tacos. 

All of these recipes are valid but I found that ground pork makes a generally better and faster green chili. It has more fat. It’s so hard to find pork roasts that have enough fat to get tender chunks even in a pressure cooker. I’ve had great results with grinding a pork shoulder. I use the ground pork in green chili, in spaghetti sauce, various Asian style stir fries, meat balls, and breakfast sausage. Grind it and vac seal it and freeze

23 hours ago, otisdog said:

Bought 30 pounds of roasted last Friday, bagged and froze them. Good for a year.

Do you peel them first or do you freeze them with the skins on and peel them as you need them after they’re thawed? I want to say I’ve seen people say they freeze them with the skins on but I can’t remember for sure. I haven’t frozen them. What do you do with the liquid? 

I just picked up 12 lbs of hot ones roasted. The market where I get them didn’t roast them for the past 2 years because of the pandemic. (I’ve mostly roasted them myself before but sometimes letting someone else do it is nice.) On the table there were only 2 stacks of containers with hot peppers, the rest were medium. I cleaned out all the hot peppers except for one container. Some woman said her husband was all excited about the Hatch peppers being back so she was supposed to get some. She was about to get a carton of medium ones but I talked her into getting hot (peppers, that is). I hope he appreciates it.

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Do you peel them first or do you freeze them with the skins on and peel them as you need them after they’re thawed? I want to say I’ve seen people say they freeze them with the skins on but I can’t remember for sure. I haven’t frozen them. What do you do with the liquid? 

Freeze them with the skins on. We use ziplocks, as opposed to vacuum sealing, the ice that forms inside from their moisture doesn't affect them. They freeze great. Liquid is trashed.

This year, for the first time since I've been buying (10 years?) they enclosed a 'how to safely cool and store your freshly roasted peppers' flyer in the box - 1.  It's important to refrigerate roasted peppers within 1 hour of roasting 2. Spread peppers in a shallow container, uncovered, so that they are no more than 2 inches deep 3. Cool to 40 degrees before sealing in containers 4. Enjoy within the next two days - or - transfer to zip-top plastic bags. Squeeze as much air as possible from the bag before sealing and storing in the freeze. Frozen peppers will maintain their quality for up to 6 months.

It seems that points one and three are a bit contradictory. I've never followed any of these recommendations, besides removing as much air as possible, and I've never had any issues  with freezing them. And they last at least a year...as I said earlier, they freeze great. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I’m surprised this thread hasn’t been bumped yet this year. I just picked up 18 lbs roasted. They’ve been in the stores for a few weeks but Giant Eagle always waits until the 3rd weekend in August to roast them. They offered a better price/lb if I purchased a whole case so that’s what I did. Definitely have to freeze a bunch this year. This is the most I’ve ever had. 

• Like 1

I've purchased about 10 lbs from HEB and Central Market.  There was a lot more availability this year than in the past.

I've made a couple of fantastic salsas blending roma tomatoes (half roasted, half fresh) with hot Hatch chiles in a 2:1 ratio, along with some onion, jalapeno or serrano and a few cloves garlic.  If I roast all the tomatoes it ends up just a little too sweet.

• Like 1

Turns out I only got 15 lbs of peppers. Which was what I was expecting. The guy told me they weighed 18 lbs but he was only going to charge me for the 15 lbs he said came in a case. Strange. I hope that doesn’t mean he’s going to wind up overcharging anyone.

I’m going to peel peppers this afternoon while watching Navy vs  Notre Dame in Ireland (2:30 ET on NBC).

• Like 1

I just love the idea of spending $300+ on yet another "specialized" piece of cooking equipment that . . . takes up space.
If you want "fire flavor", roast 'em on your Weber kettle.

I just do em on my Weber gas grill. I can roast a shitload at a time if I want to. No need for new equipment.
  • Like 1