Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Not good. Kansas showing traits of inner-Baylor 

Is there more to this story than whats presented in the article. I struggle to see how one alleged rape at a fraternity house this past weekend is in anyway comparable to the systemic abuses and coverups by the Baylor football administration. Does this even have anything to do with the football team? 

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Wow... I was gonna give KU some 'credit' for being allowed better tv slots so far this season vs that of in state rival Kansas State...

But I'll need to see, this must have been a hoops player to cause all this uproar... Anyway Kansas State is set for a move to MWC..?

9 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

cmon. comparing this to Baylor is making Baylor look good. KU fraternities are fucking HORRIBLE. But they’re private. I don’t understand (I am dense) why the headline isn’t the house rather than the university. Fraternities are getting roughed up nationwide. As many of them should. 

14 hours ago, pubes said:

cmon. comparing this to Baylor is making Baylor look good. KU fraternities are fucking HORRIBLE. But they’re private. I don’t understand (I am dense) why the headline isn’t the house rather than the university. Fraternities are getting roughed up nationwide. As many of them should. 

Fraternities are official university organizations, and that specific one is even on campus. They're private in that they don't personally receive funding from the university, but they are very much still a part of the university. They belong to the university Greek Life council, for example, which handles taking in and spending money on fraternity events and functions as a council. It is the official university connection which allows them to use campus buildings and rooms for fraternity meetings.

The headline is on the University, because that frat can't exist on campus without the university's explicit blessing, and their chapter exists as a university organization. The university can literally shut them down as an official chapter if they want. As a private organization they could still exist unofficially, but without university sanction, their charter with their parent organization would dissolve and they'd be an unofficial fraternity with no say in the Greek council.

Individual fraternity chapters are official university clubs. It's the same way you'd probably protest the university if the university chess club raped a student and was still allowed to be an official university organization. The same way you'd protest a university if they refused to kick a student out of university dorms for raping a student.

The frat is in legal trouble, the protest is about KU's continued official involvement with the fraternity as a member of KU greek council.

Souce: I was the president of a major fraternity at Texas when I was a student.

Edited by SEC

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the 12 seasons since Turner Gill's first year in 2010, Kansas has won two total road games: 2018 Central Michigan @ Kelly/Shorts Stadium and 2021 Texas @ DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium.

Victories over Texas account for just under 30% of Kansas' total conference wins since 2010 (2/7).

This is the first time Kansas has scored 50 points in a road game since beating OU 52-24 in Norman in 1996 (KU also hung 50 on TCU earlier that same season in Fort Worth).

On 9/14/2021 at 7:42 PM, pubes said:

As much as baylor needs to suck a fat one, every time a sexual assault issue at a school comes to light (and that light is shed almost weekly) bringing up baylor just sort of belittles all of it. It's almost like downplaying what is happening across the US because of the dipshits in waco

Great story in The Athletic about the walk on kid who caught the conversion.   It was published on the 14th, so if someone else stuck it elsewhere, I missed it.   

https://theathletic.com/2955195/2021/11/14/jared-caseys-game-winning-catch-for-kansas-captured-forever-of-course-by-his-mom-it-feels-like-a-dream-really/

The seven Casey children all give their mom, Karen, a lot of flack because she always has to have her phone out to document everything. Her current iPhone 12 is two years old and has 31,473 photos and 3,456 videos. Karen always makes sure to have it at the ready whenever her youngest son, Jared, runs onto the field for special teams for the Kansas football team.

Jared is a walk-on redshirt freshman tight end, but until Saturday night in Austin, he had taken snaps only as a special-teamer. Karen didn’t even know he was on the field on the final play against Texas — a two-point conversion try in overtime — and she almost didn’t pull out her phone, but …

“I was about ready to throw up,” she said, “so I had to find something to keep me busy.” 

You’ve probably seen her work by now. She hit record with Jared lined up wide to the left. That tipped off his father, Jerry, that something might be coming. Jerry has seen a lot of football. He has been a high school official for 28 years. He even worked an eight-man playoff game as the white hat on Friday night between Victoria and Dighton. One night later, there Jerry sat watching his son take the field on the biggest play of the Lance Leipold era to date.

Leipold had opted to go for two and the win and sent Karen and Jerry’s boy onto the field. Jared’s brother, Justin, watching from home in Plainville, saw Jared in the huddle and turned to his wife.

“I’ve just got this weird feeling,” he told her. “He’s just going to catch this pass right here.” 

At first, his father noticed, Jared was uncovered. Jerry got that same feeling for a second, then he saw the safety move over and follow Jared once he went in motion. Once the ball snapped and quarterback Jalon Daniels rolled out to the right, Jerry lost sight of his son. Karen held steady, capturing the action from the 30th row in the north end zone. You can see Jared wave his hands in the video, signaling to Daniels that he’s open. When the ball lands in Jared’s hands, you hear Jerry scream, but he doesn’t know it’s his son who just caught the pass to end KU’s 56-game Big 12 road losing streak.

The ball is covering up Jared’s No. 47 jersey, but three seconds after the catch, it hits Jerry. 

“That was Jared, wasn’t it?” Jerry asks. 

“Was it?” Karen responds. 

By this point, Jerry realizes it was, and he just keeps screaming, “It was Jared! It was Jared!.” Eventually, he tells the world, “That’s my boy. That’s my son.” 

The pride in his voice will give you chills and make your eyes misty, even if you don’t know the Caseys or know Jared’s story. Any parent can relate. It’s why the video, first shared by Karen on Facebook and then on Sunday morning shared on Twitter by their son, was up to 647,600 views by Sunday afternoon. ESPN also requested to share it, and their video has 132,200 views. The original surely will sail past a million by the end of the night, reaching viral status. 

“Oh, my,” Karen says, learning the count as the Caseys drove through Fort Worth on their way back home to Plainville. 

“She doesn’t miss a video or miss a picture,” Jerry says. “You ask any of her children. They go, ‘Oh, mom. Another picture?’” 

They’ll be happy now that she did, the moment captured forever for future generations of Caseys. And Jared and his family’s story, well, it’s just as sweet as that video. 

Jerry and Karen met at a football game because, of course, they did. It was 1982. Karen was a senior cheerleader at Bazine High School. Jerry, a sophomore then at Hutchinson Community College, went to the game to watch his brother play. His mom sent him with caramel apples for the concessions stand, and Karen’s class was in charge of the stand that night.

“He walked in the door, and I was like, ‘Oh my gosh,’” Karen says. “I said, ‘I’ll take the caramel apples from you,’ and after that, yeah, we just hit.”

Less than two years later, they were married. They have seven children together, and it’s a big sports family. Justin played basketball for a year at Fort Hays State. One other son (Andrew) played football and a daughter (Amanda) played basketball at Dodge City Community College. Jared, the youngest, starred at Plainville High School as a running back and linebacker. Justin, who coached his brother at Plainville, believed Jared could play in college and took him to any camp he could get his baby brother into. That included the Kansas camp, and when the KU coaches offered Jared a spot as a preferred walk-on, he was sold. 

Jerry and Karen decided that they would attend all of his games. They went to every home game they were allowed to last season, even though Jared wasn’t suiting up, and then they made the trip to Texas Tech when he got to dress for the season finale in December in Lubbock. 

Without any restrictions this year, the Caseys decided they would go to every game and will continue to do so until he graduates. They flew to Coastal Carolina and Duke, and they’ve driven to every other game. 

Karen accompanied Jerry to the playoff game on Friday, which finished at 9:15 p.m., and they took off in their silver 2010 Kia Sedona for Austin. They stopped in Wichita to stay with their daughter, arriving around midnight, and then at 6 a.m. on Saturday, they hit the road. 

They’d be there whether they knew Jared was going to play or not. They were proud, obviously, when their walk-on son earned a spot this year on special teams. And not only did his team give them a reason to celebrate Saturday — KU, a 30.5-point underdog, jumping out to a 42-21 lead — but in the third quarter, Jared recorded his second tackle of the season. They even counted this one — his first, his brother Justin notes, was against Kansas State the week before, but it didn’t make the stat sheet. 

The family text thread really picked up activity in the second quarter after Mason Fairchild left the field after catching a 20-yard pass and taking a hard hit. Jerry turned to his wife and told her, “He should be next in line.” 

“He’s been patient,” Justin says. “I know he’s a heck of a ballplayer, and he needed his moment.” 

A few hours later, it arrived.  

Karen locked in on her son after his catch, zooming in on him as he worked his way back toward their end of the field. Eventually, the Caseys go quiet, simply taking in the scene. 

“Tears. Happiness. Relief,” Karen says of the moment. “We could breathe again.”

They always wait for Jared after the game, meeting him outside the locker room or back at the bus. Karen always has to take a picture, of course. When Jared finally saw his parents on Saturday night, he hugged them both. 

“Thanks for being here,” he told them. 

“We wouldn’t have missed it for the world,” Jerry says. 

On the drive back to their hotel, they FaceTimed with Jared and his siblings. 

“It was cool seeing everybody’s faces on the phone,” Justin says, “and Jared was just all smiles.”

At 3 a.m. when Jared got home, he called his brother again.  

“I just want to sleep, but I can’t,” he said. “My phone keeps going off.”

The Caseys made the 11-hour drive home on Sunday. As they passed through Fort Worth, Karen read off the mileage on the odometer of their Sedona: 264,406. They’ve never made a more enjoyable drive. 

“Today, I feel like we have to pinch ourselves,” Karen says. “It feels like a dream, really.”

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Aggy not gonna like this... 

The 12th Man Strategies company is touting exclusive interactions with KU players, Lance Leipold and other benefits

Group launching Kansas Jayhawks' bold NIL plan with $1.2m goal, special gameday access

JOHN BRICE      APR 18, 2022

Kansas, reigning men’s national basketball champions after the Jayhawks’ epic rally past North Carolina earlier this month, already had worked to take a proactive stance on its Name, Image & Likeness opportunities for Bill Self’s hardwood program.

Now, the Jayhawks' players are being offered an opportunity to partner with a Wichita, Kansas-based company with an expansive new offering for their football program.

According to the 12th Man Strategies company, which is an offshoot of the 6th Man Strategies group that partnered with Kansas’s basketball program, it is launching the “One Hundred Club” with a mission to find 100 people willing to donate $1,000 monthly as part of a targeted annual goal of $1.2 million.

That money, in turn, is planned to be used on behalf of NIL deals for Jayhawks’ football players in second-year coach Lance Leipold’s program.

“If the players are the heart of the game,” 12th Man says on its Web site, “the fans are the lungs. 12th Man Strategies makes a distinct effort to bring the two together through crowdfunding, VIP events and various raffles. Opportunities like One Hundred Club will open the door for select fans to get a unique look into the life of Kansas athletes.”

Showcasing a potential edge for this endeavor from 12th Man is that the One Hundred Club membership is said to include “an annual event with the team and Coach Leipold, a ball signed by the team” and “exclusive pre- and post-game event access,” per the 12th Man site.

The club also includes an unspecified golf discount at Kansas’s Jayhawk Club, as well as a one-time opportunity to be a guest at a Jayhawks’ football practice.