Hulu, other streaming/ small channels.

BNB

I have been enjoying "Looming Tower".  It is about before 9/11.

Jeff Daniels has been excellent.

The finale is tomorrow.

"Chance" was very good.  Hugh Laurie, and especially Ethan Suplee were great.

I watched the first season of "Shut Eye," with Jeffrey Donavan from "Burn Notice".  It was good.  I have not watched the second season.  Anyone else?

• 8 months later...

Future Man Season 2 came out.  I re watched Season 1.  It was even better the second time.

Great sci-fi comedy with lots of pop culture and 80's references. 

The first season is hilarious.  The second season like most shows wasn't as good, but still entertaining.

From Seth Rogan...

I watched The Path.  I'm not sure that I really liked it that that much.   It was a bit slow and plodding.  

11/22/63 with James Franco was pretty cool.  I'm a sucker for time travel shit, so wheelhouse and all that.  

Has anyone heard of this The Handmaid's Tale?   It's got the chick from Get Him to the Greek in it.  I might check it out and report back.  Maybe I've uncovered a hidden gem here.  

• 2 months later...

Anyone watching “The Act”?

It’s a series based on the real life story of the mom and daughter, DeeDee and Gypsy Rose Blanchard.

Patricia Arquette plays DeeDee, the mother. It’s also got Joey King and Chloe Sevigny.

Between this and the Danemora series, she’s knocking it out of the park this year.

Really great show.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Didn't expect to binge This Fool. but i laughed.

episodes pretty short... knocked it out like i did the bear..

cholofit guy not bad.

i was hella attracted to julio's ex...she a baddie

Michelle Ortiz on This Fool's Universal Appeal, Maggie's Refreshing  Depiction & King Liz Debut - TV Fanatic

There was some laugh out loud moments for sure.  Tiny Juan was genius.

SWCFROG

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

July has some of my favorite shows. Rez Dogs, Shadows, Letterkenney, Shoresy, Only Murders and The Great. 

I would get rid of Netflix long before I thought about getting rid of Hulu.

What do June and August have?

• 9 months later...

Wow the Hulu thread gets no action. Subscribed for cfb season and with the wife out of town have been binging and enjoying the hell out of Deutschland 83. There's 3 seasons. (the others are Deutschland 86 and Deutschland 89) I don't watch much in the german language so that took a little getting used to. Starring Jonas Nay as a 24-year-old native of East Germany who is sent to West Germany in 1983 as an undercover spy for the HVA, the foreign intelligence agency of the Stasi. Co-production of SundanceTV and RTL Television. It won an International Emmy and a Peabody, among a number of other awards.

11 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Not sure Hulu really fits in a catch all thread for small channels from 2018. I think most of its good stuff ends up with individual threads 

I don't know if I want to bother creating an individual thread for Deutschland 83 (plus 86 and 89) but what a great, fast-paced spy series. Very strong recommendation. I can't think of anything directly comparable. It reminds me of Better Call Saul in the way you don't want to stop binging it, as well as for the under-played absurd moments. But BCS was more focused on one person and this encompasses a wider range of characters. Some might say it's a bit like Killing Eve but it's not nearly as farcical or ridiculous. Deutschland 83 (and 86 & 89) are built around historical events of the Cold War. 83 focuses on East vs West Germany. Season 2 moves to a much more global scale, covering Africa and more western Europe. Deutschland 83 was filmed in 2015, 86 was filmed in 2018 and DE 89 in 2020. Because it largely takes place outside of East Germany, DE 86 is mostly in the English language. Really great series. Can't rec strong enough if you like spy intrigue and action. A full 100% on the Binge-able scale.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/3/2023 at 1:13 PM, MissingInAction said:

No One Will Save You is excellent. 

Original take on the alien invasion trope.

Only 3 words of dialog and the lead absolutely nails it. She's a true talent.

That was excellent.

Also enjoyed The Looming Tower

Currently watching 11/22/1963. Well done. I'm in love with the woman who plays Sadie.

Sarah Gadon "Sadie Dunhill" in 11.22.63 | Sarah gadon, Vintage hairstyles,  Portrait

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 10/9/2023 at 11:36 AM, Chopper said:

I don't know if I want to bother creating an individual thread for Deutschland 83 (plus 86 and 89) but what a great, fast-paced spy series. Very strong recommendation. I can't think of anything directly comparable. It reminds me of Better Call Saul in the way you don't want to stop binging it, as well as for the under-played absurd moments. But BCS was more focused on one person and this encompasses a wider range of characters. Some might say it's a bit like Killing Eve but it's not nearly as farcical or ridiculous. Deutschland 83 (and 86 & 89) are built around historical events of the Cold War. 83 focuses on East vs West Germany. Season 2 moves to a much more global scale, covering Africa and more western Europe. Deutschland 83 was filmed in 2015, 86 was filmed in 2018 and DE 89 in 2020. Because it largely takes place outside of East Germany, DE 86 is mostly in the English language. Really great series. Can't rec strong enough if you like spy intrigue and action. A full 100% on the Binge-able scale.

I watched 83 when it first aired on IFC or Sundance or whatever it was.  I should go back and rewatch that and the other two seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

I assume YouTube counts? A bunch of the original Japanese version of Iron Chef with dubbed English are on YouTube now. I watched the crap out of this on Food Network during the summers in highschool after we got cable. Brings back a lot of memories and the food part is still really interesting to me.  

Edited by 'stache

I’ll have to check out iron chef. I moved to San Francisco in 96 and found Iron Chef on a local Asian broadcast channel, in Japanese, no subtitles. I’d watch it. Soon after it was on FN dubbed in English.

I was going to Japan several times a year back then and learned a lot from it.

On 10/13/2023 at 2:53 PM, 'stache said:

I assume YouTube counts? A bunch of the original Japanese version of Iron Chef with dubbed English are on YouTube now. I watched the crap out of this on Food Network during the summers in highschool after we got cable. Brings back a lot of memories and the food part is still really interesting to me.  

There's an Iron Chef channel on the live tv lineup on PlutoTV.

All Iron Chef all the time. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/the-walt-disney-company-to-purchase-remaining-stake-in-hulu-from-comcast/

BURBANK, Calif., November 1, 2023—The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) announced today that it will acquire the 33% stake in Hulu, LLC held by Comcast Corp.’s (NASDAQ: CMCSA) NBC Universal (NBCU), following Comcast’s November 1 exercise of its right under the put/call arrangement between the two companies. The acquisition of Comcast’s stake in Hulu at fair market value will further Disney’s streaming objectives.

Under the terms of the put/call arrangement, by December 1, Disney expects it will pay NBCU approximately $8.61 billion, representing NBCU’s percentage of the $27.5 billion guaranteed floor value for Hulu that was set when the companies entered into their agreement in 2019 minus the anticipated outstanding capital call contributions payable by NBCU to Disney. Under the appraisal process agreed to by Disney and Comcast, Hulu’s equity fair value will be assessed as of September 30, 2023, and if the value is ultimately determined to be greater than the guaranteed floor value, Disney will pay NBCU its percentage of the difference between the equity fair value and the guaranteed floor value. While the timing of the appraisal process is uncertain, we anticipate it should be completed during the 2024 calendar year.

We already knew this was happening, it's just been finalized.  Looks like Comcast/NBC stuff will be moving to Peacock.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Obituary. In a small Irish town the obit writer gets put on a per piece pay plan. And not enough folks are dying to pay the bills. So she decides to help folks transition with murdering them. S1 down. So far looks like a good watch.

So “small Irish town” and dying makes me think of the movie from the late ‘90’s Waking Ned Devine.

Look it up good stuff