Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

Drove to Austin years ago with group of friends.  Bunch of first job, cash in pocket kids going to drink and fuck.

Stop for lunch and nobody noticed when our friend from India orders CFS....

Then comments "must be dark meat chicken"   nobody had the guts to stop her.  

/ccfssb.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

This made me google to remember the name of the fictional restaurant, but then I thought this paragraph from a story that came back was worth sharing:

Part of the credit for that goes to Dan Jenkins, a longtime writer for Sports Illustrated. In 1972, he published Semi-Tough, a comic novel chronicling the misadventures of Billy Clyde Puckett, a star Texas halfback who moves east to play for the New York Giants. Chicken-fried steak appears prominently in the book, both at the fictional Herb's Café in Puckett's hometown of Fort Worth and in New York City, where his love interest, Barbara Jane Bookman, tries to make him his favorite meal. "She just missed making it as good as they used to at Herb's," Puckett comments, "but of course the meal she fixed was a whole lot better than the food we sometimes pay a surly Frenchman forty dollars for."

https://www.seriouseats.com/chicken-fried-steak-origin-story

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

We were in Marfa a couple weeks ago.  The CFS at Jett's -- and usually I think Jett's is average for other things I have had -- was delicious.  They add pistachios to the breading and use a jalapeno cream gravy.  Was legit.

spacer.png

All chicken fried steak needs jalapeno gravy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, Herbie Hancock said:

Not a single one of you fucks has mentioned Lowake Steakhouse and only twice has Zentner’s Daughter been mentioned. giphy.gif

Had my rehearsal dinner with my first wife at Zentners Daughter on Knickerbocker in San Angelo. The memories are shit but the food was always money. Emery’s was also a solid CFS choice in San Angelo. The one thing I miss most is the steak fingers from the Charcoal House. If you know….you remember. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've eaten CFS at Mary's, New York Hill, Cotton Patch, you name it. The best I have ever eaten is at Murn's Cafe in Archer City, we DO have a whole thread about this on F&T. Murn's is so good, my wife said she thought it was better than her's. Me:

CHIEF

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust