Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

The Texas Tech football program reached out to the NFL MVP to secretly put together a plan to poach a freshman at Ohio State?

Lol, no.

More likely, the NFL MVP reached out to Ewers and his connections at Tech. (Possibly)

Mahomes is vocal on Twitter about Tech. He has passion for the program there.

I don't think it's as nefarious as folks are suggesting. Think of this as Tech looking around corners here. The possibility, if not probability, that Ewers might portal has always been on the table. If they came together and said "if this kid does decide to bolt, we should go all in for him and here's what I think it should look like", then that's totally fine. All they are doing there is trying to plan for success.

I'd expect Sark and UT to do the same, but would not be surprised in the least to learn that they did not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Jabberwocky said:

I do not think it is realistic to think that you can regulate who athletes are friends with, and what they say amongst each other.

I don't either. But that all of these others boosters would be on board and organizing behind the scenes just seems weird. Not saying there is anything under the table going on, but it seems like maybe it shouldn't be this way?

Quinn Ewers has been presented two opportunities so far in his career to advance his development.  Our two data points are Southlake Carroll and Ohio State.  I'm not saying Texas Tech is impossible, but for a QB with NFL aspirations, a third data point of "Joey McGuire/OC from Western Kentucky" would be so far off the grid from the first two that it would break the scale.

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Joey McGuire isn’t even some offensive savant.   I could have seen it happening with the Double Eagle money and if Kingsbury were still the coach putting up big passing yardage (even if it’s Tech and the team sucks), but there’s a real risk of him not even putting good tape out for the NFL if he goes to Tech now.   

The one caveat is that if the money they’re offering now is truly set for life type numbers, then maybe they don’t care about what comes next.  Which, from a strictly business perspective, it’s kind of hard to argue with that.  Acting as though being the first overall pick in the NFL Draft and getting those mega bucks is a certainty isn’t really sound financial planning.

Counterpoint, we did the same math in our head with Kyler Murray's baseball contract of 2-3 million guaranteed, and declared risking it for the NFL was not the smart play...until he went when he did and dwarfed that contract. We can counter, spin, and sell all these things but the question is whether or not Texas is doing an effective job. 

And lets not forget that the Ewers family is already pretty goddamn rich. Like set for life rich. They dont NEED this money. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Why would you ask for cash under the table that can get you into all kinds of shit, when you can get million in NIL money? 

Because criminal types can't understand not doing things the crooked way even when legal ways are more profitable and easier? Come on some of you know the type that makes you scratch your head but they seem to get an adrenaline rush out of the risk. Ewers strikes me as the one that would look to get as many millions as possible the right way and gets his adrenaline rush playing hard ball and getting the attention it brings.

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Ewers strikes me as the one that would look to get as many millions as possible the right way and gets his adrenaline rush playing hard ball and getting the attention it brings.

so much fanfic in this thread

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

True....also 10th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft after doing that. That's my point. His skill was so good to NFL scouts, they looked past him being a Texas Tech QB which are typically thought of as "system guy" QBs based on how pretty much all Tech QBs before him didn't amount to anything in the NFL. 

He had 2 QBs go ahead of him, though (nvm just one - was thinking of Deshaun). You wonder if that happens if he plays somewhere else where he gets in the national spotlight a bit more. Or plays somewhere that isn't known for system JAGs throwing for 4k every year. 

But - the NFL seems pretty good at this point at evaluating QB talent regardless of the team they're on. It may not matter. 

Edited by ztejas

Just now, ztejas said:

He had 2 QBs go ahead of him, though. You wonder if that happens if he plays somewhere else where he gets in the national spotlight a bit more. Or plays somewhere that isn't known for system JAGs throwing for 4k every year. 

But - the NFL seems pretty good at this point at evaluating QB talent regardless of the team they're on. It may not matter. 

Incorrect. Only 1 QB went ahead of him. But which NFL teams wouldn't want Mitchell F'ing Trubisky? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Incorrect. Only 1 QB went ahead of him. But which NFL teams wouldn't want Mitchell F'ing Trubisky? 

Yeah I edited. Trubisky's W/L at UNC was better. Maybe that raises his stock a bit maybe it doesn't.

Point remains when it comes to getting drafted if Ewers is deemed a can't miss prospect it won't matter where he plays. It will matter if he wants to win big in college or get to New York at the end of the year, though. Usually guys from smaller programs are there because that was their only option. Mahomes had a Tech, okie lite and Rice offer. Josh Allen had to beg Wyoming to take him. Trey Lance was a low 3 star that had a couple meh FBS offers. 

Ewers going to Tech when he can go anywhere would be... bizarre. 

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Surly Quinn can see all these NIL deals and realize it's going to be much easier to get top recruits to Texas than Texas Tech. 

I think Quinn only cares about Quinn in this decision. The getting players to join him bit seems a little overplayed. This past year he's been acting in his own best interests

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

BDEEBD16-1C2C-4890-8AE6-228E68C5F86C.jpeg

I know this guy personally. He’s plenty dialed in on both the SLC side and the O&G side. Big Texas fan and not a bullshitter, runs a well respected land business. Tech fired their shot and we are getting a chance to respond. Not very positive for Tech if you ask me.

• Hook 'Em 6

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust