San Antonio

TexasHooch

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

San Antonio has awesome food even if truly great BBQ isn’t its top draw.

Macho tostada burger at Chris Madrid’s kills. Absolutely kills. 

Josephine Street Steakhouse is the shit. Very reminiscent of the  in Austin.  It’s not “fine dining” but it’s a great piece of steak drowning in their Hofbrau style sauce that’s like liquid crack. The onion rings are fantastic. The setting is perfect. 

Schilo’s Deli with house rootbeer, house sinus clearing mustard, and hot German potato salad.

And not even scraping the surface of the fantastic Tex-Mex and Mexican. 

I mean 2M is absolutely a top 10 joint in Texas

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Schilo’s Deli with house rootbeer, house sinus clearing mustard, and hot German potato salad.

+rep for Schilo's  We used to eat there before going to Spurs games at Hemisfair.  Schilo's is still going strong, too, I hope.  Their split pea soup is pretty great.

4 hours ago, miguelito said:

+rep for Schilo's  We used to eat there before going to Spurs games at Hemisfair.  Schilo's is still going strong, too, I hope.  Their split pea soup is pretty great.

Schilo's and Zito's are by far my favorite sammich joints in SA.

By far.

Glad it Schilo's got brought up.  Reminds me I need to go back.  Been at least 20yrs.

On 2/22/2021 at 9:06 AM, NoName said:

agreed, especially when folks in SA loved the Granary (had nothing that was awesome there any of the times I went) - more good BBQ = better.

Love for the Granary had less to do with quality and more to do with its hip location at the Pearl. You could charge $30 for a scrambled eggs at that place and white girls would still flock there for brunch. 

On 2/22/2021 at 9:06 AM, NoName said:

agreed, especially when folks in SA loved the Granary (had nothing that was awesome there any of the times I went) - more good BBQ = better.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:39 PM, midtown said:

Didn't Texas monthly name their corned beef the best in the state at one point?   Not defending SA BBQ or lack there of but shouldn't they get some credit when due?

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

Love for the Granary had less to do with quality and more to do with its hip location at the Pearl. You could charge $30 for a scrambled eggs at that place and white girls would still flock there for brunch. 

I thought granary sucked. Cool building, very average cue and absurdly overpriced. I did think the corned beef was pretty good but if they were going to focus on that they should have opened a deli not a BBQ place. If you can't make good brisket gtfo. 

I haven't been to Pinkerton in SA yet but I had people who I trust on such matters tell me that their brisket was the best they've ever had outside of Franklin. Better than 2m, Black's, Kreutz, Luling cm, etc. Going to need to check it out. 

I thought granary sucked. Cool building, very average cue and absurdly overpriced. I did think the corned beef was pretty good but if they were going to focus on that they should have opened a deli not a BBQ place. If you can't make good brisket gtfo. 
I haven't been to Pinkerton in SA yet but I had people who I trust on such matters tell me that their brisket was the best they've ever had outside of Franklin. Better than 2m, Black's, Kreutz, Luling cm, etc. Going to need to check it out. 

Yes, Pinkerton’s, when they are “on” are better than those places. But better than 2M...maybe, maybe not. Definitely not better than Tejas, Truth, or Valentina’s.

9 hours ago, Cajun said:

Schilo's and Zito's are by far my favorite sammich joints in SA.

By far.

Glad it Schilo's got brought up.  Reminds me I need to go back.  Been at least 20yrs.

Zito's.  That's a name I haven't heard  in a long time....a long time.    

Seriously, I had a sandwich from there about 35 years ago.  I thought it was fantastic. But I never took the joint seriously because it was right across the street from my Catholic School and church. Nothing good could really be around there...right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Chico_SA said:

Zito's.  That's a name I haven't heard  in a long time....a long time.    

Seriously, I had a sandwich from there about 35 years ago.  I thought it was fantastic. But I never took the joint seriously because it was right across the street from my Catholic School and church. Nothing good could really be around there...right? 

Maybe you should have taken it Half Serious.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Never been, I have no reason to doubt that it’s could be. Just that if you want to do a barbecue pilgrimage, SA isn’t your first destination but instead you go deeper into Central Texas or to Austin.

Yeah go open up in over saturated expensive Austin....

• Hook 'Em 1

To be clear, it is possible to be completely serious about a Half Serious. 

Crazy shit, I know.

But if you're not 100% serious about a Whole Serious you're gonna get your ass kicked.  Trust me on this.

Edited by Cajun

• 3 weeks later...

I finally tried Pinkerton the other day and it was damn good. And it's a really cool spot in the center of downtown. The whole outdoor park-like theme has a really good vibe.

Parking was easier than I thought it would be -- there's a lot about 1/2 block away and when you go to pay at the machine you instead press the Pinkerton button on the meter and it prints you a free ticket to stick on your dash.

The food is very fucking pricey though. $28/lb for the beef rib (which was fantastic btw) when the rib bone itself probably weighs close to a pound is a smooth buttfucking. The brisket was great though. Super moist and great flavor. Sausage was fair. I thought the turkey was pretty good too, but whatever, it's turkey. Liked the beans too. I don't like that you have to go in a separate line to get alcohol though. Pain in the ass when you just want a beer.

8 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Best puffies in SA, which means best on the planet.  Taco House on San Pedro near Nagel’s Gun Store.  I just finished every last bite and now I’m awaiting the paramedics-

E397C313-3BB3-4432-9347-1D654C289DD5.jpeg

4E8B3B28-49D5-4E56-B6F7-D68BE2B83066.jpeg

8A64AE63-2D96-4DBD-A6F7-A45AE5F25322.jpeg

CDE3256E-4962-43F8-B07E-4AA29A3D3920.jpeg

51AA6C2E-9381-4EBA-88F3-E4C552EDA6C4.jpeg

Love Taco House. That's my go to Saturday/Sunday morning hangover taco fix.

They have just about the world's worst drive thru but they have great tacos. Ashamed to say I've never tried their puffys. Going to have to give them a go next time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Love Taco House. That's my go to Saturday/Sunday morning hangover taco fix.

They have just about the world's worst drive thru but they have great tacos. Ashamed to say I've never tried their puffys. Going to have to give them a go next time.

QFT

Way back in the 90s sometime I remember looking at the drive thru w/a couple of trucks waiting.  I went in, got my Tacos, ate them (quickly - I was on lunch break) and walked out only to glance over and see the 2nd truck was still in the drive thru.

Tom Herman must be working that slot - "Drive Throughs are HARD!"

Yes, take them to ride the boats. They’ll like it.

Tex-Mex — anywhere really but Mi Tierra is the OG joint. It’s a tourist joint but it earned it by being awesome and on Market Square. Leave room for hot chocolate and Pan dulce. La Fonda and Rosarios are less touristy and only a bit less little kid friendly.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/27/2021 at 4:20 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

couldn't agree more. add in that they never seemed to understand par levels and never had a full menu a single time i was there (always out of something, typically brisket even during lunch hours) made it pretty easy to not be impressed.

there have only been a handful of TMBBQ Top 50 places where i have been and truly wondered how in the hell the place made it on the list, this was one.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

we planned a weekend trip for SA for this weekend and it appears it's going to be a complete wash out.  what is there to do indoors with 4 kids ten yrs old and under?  we're staying at the contessa on the river walk.  have been to the alamo several times with them already so it's not high on the list but if we run out of things to do it's always an enjoyable time for me.  so far we have....

doseum

witte

historic market square (there's an indoor part too i believe?)

san fernando

river center mall 

anything else?  

also any restaurant recs?  i haven't decided on anything but shilo's, biga, the colonial room, guenther house are all on the list.  going to wing it and see what we have a hankering for as mealtime approaches.   

we planned a weekend trip for SA for this weekend and it appears it's going to be a complete wash out.  what is there to do indoors with 4 kids ten yrs old and under?  we're staying at the contessa on the river walk.  have been to the alamo several times with them already so it's not high on the list but if we run out of things to do it's always an enjoyable time for me.  so far we have....

doseum
witte
historic market square (there's an indoor part too i believe?)
san fernando
river center mall 

anything else?  

also any restaurant recs?  i haven't decided on anything but shilo's, biga, the colonial room, guenther house are all on the list.  going to wing it and see what we have a hankering for as mealtime approaches.   

There’s always all the ripley stuff across from the Alamo. Also SA has some indoor kart racing places and at least one trampoline park. None of them are close to downtown though. Btw rivercenter mall has a legoland discovery place that can fill up quickly on weekends. There’s also the aquarium on Bandera.

For food downtown I think playland pizza would be appropriate for kids that age. It’s just upscale pizza and wings.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Teka Molina, imo.

I always drive through El Posstino next door on the way into work.  It has one of the highest work truck to parking space ratios in SA so you know its good.  Not to mention the middle aged curvy latina milf with the tight shirt that works the widow starts my mornings off right

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

There’s always all the ripley stuff across from the Alamo. Also SA has some indoor kart racing places and at least one trampoline park. None of them are close to downtown though. Btw rivercenter mall has a legoland discovery place that can fill up quickly on weekends. There’s also the aquarium on Bandera.

For food downtown I think playland pizza would be appropriate for kids that age. It’s just upscale pizza and wings.
Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't know river enter mall had the lego stuff. We're at biga right now, will probably go to San fernando for the laser light show after we're done.

18 hours ago, midtown said:

I always drive through El Posstino next door on the way into work.  It has one of the highest work truck to parking space ratios in SA so you know its good.  Not to mention the middle aged curvy latina milf with the tight shirt that works the widow starts my mornings off right

Anyone else having issues seeing pic?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2