San Antonio

TexasHooch

On 4/30/2021 at 6:52 PM, HenryJames said:

Teka Molina, imo.

615353E8-0C33-43D5-9162-63AE0098C1D4.jpeg

On 4/30/2021 at 7:32 PM, midtown said:

I always drive through El Posstino next door on the way into work.  It has one of the highest work truck to parking space ratios in SA so you know its good.  Not to mention the middle aged curvy latina milf with the tight shirt that works the widow starts my mornings off right

I grew up on Teka. Their puffy's are really good, but Taco Riendo's may be even better. Only in San Antonio could you have one of the best puffy tacos in the world, yet there are two other places within a mile on the same street that are arguably better.

I've never been to El Potosino. I should probably check it out. I mean props to them for unironically moving into the old Taco Bell, but if I'm going over there I'm eating at Teka or Taco House. 

50 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I grew up on Teka. Their puffy's are really good, but Taco Riendo's may be even better. Only in San Antonio could you have one of the best puffy tacos in the world, yet there are two other places within a mile on the same street that are arguably better.

I've never been to El Potosino. I should probably check it out. I mean props to them for unironically moving into the old Taco Bell, but if I'm going over there I'm eating at Teka or Taco House. 

Austin : BBQ | San Antonio : Puffy Tacos

?

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2021 at 8:52 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

When I'm at Riendo I'm going balls deep Carne Guisada with Cheese tacos.  

I've done their puffy tacos and dug 'em just fine, but they didn't blow me away.  The Guisada w/Cheese tacos DO blow me away.  Great sloppy shit.

29 minutes ago, Cajun said:

When I'm at Riendo I'm going balls deep Carne Guisada with Cheese tacos.  

I've done their puffy tacos and dug 'em just fine, but they didn't blow me away.  The Guisada w/Cheese tacos DO blow me away.  Great sloppy shit.

I don't know if I've had their guisada. My favorite carne guisada is Garica's on Fredericksburg. They also have a puerco guisada thing that is fucking awesome too. It's a sloppy wet spicy delicious mess. By the way, Riendo isn't Riendo anymore. It's now Silvia's. Same exact food, just changed the name. Casualty of divorce, I believe.

Yes, I was there about 3 weeks ago and saw the sign.  I was crestfallen, but made the drive over and poked my head in to see what was what.  The lady behind the counter immediately ran up and said, "Same food, just different name!", as if were a default from the change over.

Sat down w/my pal, ordered 4 guisada w/cheese tacos and was immediately relieve because it was, indeed, the same food.  

I will have to give Garcia's a try.  Sounds legit.  There's a Garcia's down in Pearsall where I used to frequent when was dove hunting down there.  As good of a plate of enchiladas I've had anywhere.

Goddamnit, now I'm hungry again.

On 4/30/2021 at 6:52 PM, HenryJames said:

Teka Molina, imo.

615353E8-0C33-43D5-9162-63AE0098C1D4.jpeg

On 5/1/2021 at 10:55 AM, Cajun said:

I love Teka's.  Grew up knowing the Chapas and eat there all the time.  Their puffies are right up there, but for me they are too small.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Oldest daughter just got back from 8 mos in England and wanted TexMex, so I took her to Teka's for lunch & puffies.  They are back to proper size and were spectacular -

5C9DF567-D7CB-4887-8C14-0255AC150108.jpeg

image.gif.1584b04ab70c2ceb0b6c9061b4acd898.gif

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I was in town last week and had lunch at Southerleighs in the Pearl. Very good food, fun place. That whole area is just fun 

It's even better when it's not a bizillion degrees and people sit out in the grass etc

Just hit one of my old haunts for dinner just up from Chris Madrid's.  I've always referred to it as the "Chingadero Special", but I believe it's the "Deluxe Dinner" on the menu.  I present to you, Blanco Cafe down on, well, Blanco --

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
Now my back hurts and I think I have some internal bleeding.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Back in the day, my favorite enchiladas were the beef enchiladas at Mi Tierra.  I know that place is overrated, but back in the 80's and 90's their enchiladas were outstanding,  Blanco Cafe was probably a very close second.  Karem's had some solid enchiladas back then too. 

• Like 2

God, I loved Kerem's.  Miss that place.

Another that hasn't been mentioned for enchis that I loved was Brown's.  Just east of downtown in the Alamodome vicinity.  They are gone now.  It's a Broken Egg fucking cafe now.

Brown's was a tradition on our way down to Dimmit Co for opening day deer season.  

6C69F385-E4E6-486A-92DD-8DF766DB9F1A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

@Cajun is throwing Mexican food fastballs right down the center of my plate (pun intended).

Rolando's, last I checked, was still doing takeout only. They told us they were going to open up fully "next year."  I'm a Tipico guy- a greasy melange of guac, beans, cheese and picadillo.  Their guisada is on point, though. They sold out to a younger guy a few years back who ran it into the ground, but then the original owners took it back over and it's back to old standards.

Love Blanco's enchies, but I also think they have the best flour tortillas in town. 

Killing an Okie burrito, drunk after the bars close at 2 am is one of the great pleasures in life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I live in Southtown SA and have a bidet in my master. 

Reveal hidden contents

tenor.png

I'm not talking about the SA 1% pinche humble bragger!

You probably got custom shocks on your low rider too.

Show off.

;-)

• Like 1

a bit of a left turn, but I wanted to put out an FYI on this place. I’ve hit up Sushishima  on NW military (across from the Christian Castle Hills School) a few times now and I have to say I’ve come away pretty impressed.  

They have a really consistently good raw bar as well as tables with grills and solid meat selection which in SA can be pretty spotty based on who is in the kitchen that week. The food is fresh and the prices have been very reasonable for price gouge items like oysters, scallops, salmon belly. Their ramen is pretty good and they have some traditional Japanese dishes that I only tried but were also good.  

Their bartenders have been pretty good to really good the times we’ve been.

I can see myself hitting this place up every so often 

27CBA508-A55F-4F15-99B2-8F07DDEF84F2.jpeg

D779AC0F-8B9D-45DF-8278-F7DDB39D8E3A.jpeg

699EA4C7-78F5-46BE-B25B-545FBF966290.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3