San Antonio

TexasHooch

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

There used to be a Blanco Cafe just inside 1604 on Blanco Rd.  I'd go there every Wednesday, and the waiters knew me.  Sometimes, I'd sit down and they'd bring me my 3 cheese enchiladas with cebollas before I even got a drink or said hello. 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

There is one downtown, but I don’t think it’s as good as the original.

There used to be a bunch of them. The true original one on Blanco across-ish from Casbeers (RIP - an argument could be made for them having the best enchiladas in SA, too), another one further north on Blanco near Oblate, the one downtown across from the bus station, one on Fredericksburg Rd (medical center) and one on Austin Highway. I think they were all loosely affiliated by family but with different ownership. Of course, typical family squabble shit did a lot of them in. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hate said:

I always thought the one at Oblate and Blanco was the original. That’s the one I always went to.

I always thought the original was the one down the street from Madrids.  I drive by Oblate and Blanco all the time since my kids go/went to Nimitz.   For the life of me I can't picture where another Blanco Cafe is.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I always thought the one at Oblate and Blanco was the original. That’s the one I always went to.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I always thought the original was the one down the street from Madrids.  I drive by Oblate and Blanco all the time since my kids go/went to Nimitz.   For the life of me I can't picture where another Blanco Cafe is.

Midtown is correct. The original one is just south of Chris Madrids on the same side of Blanco.

The one on Blanco/Oblate was kinda tucked in the back of that shopping center with the weird arch toward the back. 

image.png.719d84fefd41eace190912f000ef7b37.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There's one out on Fredericksburg Rd by the Medical Center.  There used to be one on Austin HWY in that shopping center across from Gold's Gym, but it's been gone awhile.

7 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

They were fucking great.

They really were. Right up there with Brown's, Blanco, anywhere. And served with Buttercrust white bread to sop up all that greasy chili goodness. I get heartburn just thinking about those onions. You could also buy thunderbird by the glass there. That joint was fucking classic.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve lived in SA for years and have never been to Blanco cafe or many of these other places yall are talking about. I mostly turn my nose up at SA Tex-Mex since I’m from the RGV, but maybe I’m being too harsh. Some of this shit looks/sounds really good. 

I haven’t been since the pandemic hit but I did always love going to el bucanero, great seafood. If you can get over the long waits there at all times. Haven’t been to Traders Village in a while either, always good food to be found there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On the topic of Southerleigh - the owner/GM is a friend and he recently (in the middle of the pandemic) opened up Mon Chou Chou, also in the Pearl. It's a French brasserie and given he's a Frenchman, it's worth a look even just to see the beautiful decor. 

It's also worth noting that the restaurant group that includes Southerleigh, Mon Chou Chou, Southerleigh Haute South, did everything right during the pandemic by keeping all of their staff on payroll and with full health benefits. They took a big gamble but wanted to protect their people, and it sounds like it really paid off because while restaurants across the country are struggling to hire, these folks are gucci. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I’ve lived in SA for years and have never been to Blanco cafe or many of these other places yall are talking about. I mostly turn my nose up at SA Tex-Mex since I’m from the RGV, but maybe I’m being too harsh. Some of this shit looks/sounds really good. 

I haven’t been since the pandemic hit but I did always love going to el bucanero, great seafood. If you can get over the long waits there at all times. Haven’t been to Traders Village in a while either, always good food to be found there.

SA Tex Mex isn’t better or worse than RGV, El Paso, SOTX, etc, it’s just different.  It’s own category.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah I haven’t been to a lot of these places. Will have to try Blanco Cafe. El Bucanero is legit 

The place is on the douche side of things crowd-wise, but StoneWerks over in '09 where WaterStreet Oyster Bar used to be has one of the best Philly Cheesesteaks I've had in this state.

Buddy of mine got one the other day and I was stunned at how good it was.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Cajun said:

The place is on the douche side of things crowd-wise, but StoneWerks over in '09 where WaterStreet Oyster Bar used to be has one of the best Philly Cheesesteaks I've had in this state.

Buddy of mine got one the other day and I was stunned at how good it was.

Yeah Douche level is pretty high in the area but not bad during lunch.  Pretty chill location.  I'll have to check out stonework cheesesteak next time I'm there which is not often. Little above my pay grade. Not rolling in tree fiddly coins if you know what I mean

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There used to be a bunch of them. The true original one on Blanco across-ish from Casbeers (RIP - an argument could be made for them having the best enchiladas in SA, too), another one further north on Blanco near Oblate, the one downtown across from the bus station, one on Fredericksburg Rd (medical center) and one on Austin Highway. I think they were all loosely affiliated by family but with different ownership. Of course, typical family squabble shit did a lot of them in. 

The original Casbeers. Amen, brother. 

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

On the topic of Southerleigh - the owner/GM is a friend and he recently (in the middle of the pandemic) opened up Mon Chou Chou, also in the Pearl. It's a French brasserie and given he's a Frenchman, it's worth a look even just to see the beautiful decor. 

It's also worth noting that the restaurant group that includes Southerleigh, Mon Chou Chou, Southerleigh Haute South, did everything right during the pandemic by keeping all of their staff on payroll and with full health benefits. They took a big gamble but wanted to protect their people, and it sounds like it really paid off because while restaurants across the country are struggling to hire, these folks are gucci. 

Ate at mon chou chou Tuesday night. Still trying to wrap my head around having to make dinner reservations in San Antonio two weeks in advance for a fucking Tuesday, but it was really good. I had a little buyers remorse when I saw some of the other stuff coming out of the kitchen, but the pork chops I had were pretty awesome. I'll definitely be back. And we did have great service

10 minutes ago, Cajun said:

It's actually just as high.  Just runs under a different moniker and they "lean" -

Man that’s an old song. That’s a typical Cali style cholo, the chillest dudes out there and the opposite of a douche. They just like to drink beer and work on their cars. Not many people in SA or Texas like that anymore except for the OGs.The new generation has nothing in common with dudes like him. What we have now is this (this kid actually is from SA and he shoots almost all his videos around town). 

Genos deli on Huebner and lockhill is legit. I think it has the highest or second highest rating in Texas. It's a convenience store run by some Pakistanis. Their cheese steak is tremendous.

88ca05e7124c062527e34f17353870de.jpg

That’s right by my old hood (Park Forest)

Gino's is badass.  The people there are great, and the sandwiches are outstanding.  My regular is the turkey-roni, but everything else I've had there is awesome.

The owner writes Santa's response letters to kids at Christmas, or something like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Man that’s an old song. That’s a typical Cali style cholo, the chillest dudes out there and the opposite of a douche. They just like to drink beer and work on their cars. Not many people in SA or Texas like that anymore except for the OGs.The new generation has nothing in common with dudes like him. 

If drinking Millers Lite in the yard during the Cowboys game while grilling fajitas makes you a douche, call me Justin Bieber. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Man that’s an old song. That’s a typical Cali style cholo, the chillest dudes out there and the opposite of a douche. They just like to drink beer and work on their cars. Not many people in SA or Texas like that anymore except for the OGs.The new generation has nothing in common with dudes like him. What we have now is this (this kid actually is from SA and he shoots almost all his videos around town). 

It was tongue in cheek amigo.

7 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Gino's is badass.  The people there are great, and the sandwiches are outstanding.  My regular is the turkey-roni, but everything else I've had there is awesome.

The owner writes Santa's response letters to kids at Christmas, or something like that. 

I had forgotten about Gino's.  My 2nd favorite Deli in SA after Zito's.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good luck finding a parking space at Ginos at lunch time

Actually a decent number of people take it to go.    I haven't been in a while; are you allowed to crack a beer while you eat your sandwich?

Edited by midtown

24 minutes ago, Cajun said:

It was tongue in cheek amigo.

Yeah I just grew up knowing dudes like that and I’m triggered to see them replaced by these young hoodlums. /getoffmylawn

Gino’s is great, but the secret is well out now & it’s usually overrun with people. Haven’t been in forever. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Yeah I just grew up knowing dudes like that and I’m triggered to see them replaced by these young hoodlums. /getoffmylawn

Gino’s is great, but the secret is well out now & it’s usually overrun with people. Haven’t been in forever. 

"Hoodlums" is being kind.

Insect losers is my preferred nomenclature.  That ain't /getoffmylawn, that's church ese!

30 minutes ago, midtown said:

Good luck finding a parking space at Ginos at lunch time

Actually a decent number of people take it to go.    I haven't been in a while; are you allowed to crack a beer while you eat your sandwich?

Yep, no reason for me to hit Ginos and deal w/all that when I live 1/2 mile away from Zito's.

Edited by Cajun
And I'm SERIOUS

Best Quality Daughter is great. It's where The Granary used be in the Pearl. Chef is the original chef of Hot Joy when it was named the 7th best new restaurant in the US by Bon Appetit magazine. Loved the crab curry fried rice.

Also Hugman's Oasis is a new legit tiki bar on the Riverwalk. Problem with the place is it's tiny. Went Sunday in the afternoon right when it opened and it filled pretty quick.

34 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Pizza recs? My favorites in town are Miss Ellie’s, Capo’s, and Fralos. Haven’t tried Dough yet.

Napoletana: Dough, Braza Brava, Il Forno

NY Style: Florio's, Poppy's, Julian's

Parents liked Pizzeria Vesuvio in Southtown but I haven't been.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How come there isn’t a San Antonio section in Naoch?

Because 30 years ago it was mostly just the best Tex-Mex but in the last 20 and really in the last 5 IMO it's gone nuts in terms of variety in both fine dining and unique spots that would kill in the other cities.   

7 minutes ago, midtown said:

Because 30 years ago it was mostly just the best Tex-Mex but in the last 20 and really in the last 5 IMO it's gone nuts in terms of variety in both fine dining and unique spots that would kill in the other cities.   

Kind of agree. I feel like there are spots if they were in Houston/Dallas/Austin they’d have lines out the ass and wait list for days but being in SA it’s not 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, deac_tracy said:

Best Quality Daughter is great. It's where The Granary used be in the Pearl. Chef is the original chef of Hot Joy when it was named the 7th best new restaurant in the US by Bon Appetit magazine. Loved the crab curry fried rice.

Also Hugman's Oasis is a new legit tiki bar on the Riverwalk. Problem with the place is it's tiny. Went Sunday in the afternoon right when it opened and it filled pretty quick.

I’m sorry but Hot Joy is/was one of the most overrated restaurants I’ve ever experienced. 

28 minutes ago, midtown said:

4 kids are definitely hampering my current dining experience, but it does sound like there’s a lot of new options out there. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Pizza recs? My favorites in town are Miss Ellie’s, Capo’s, and Fralos. Haven’t tried Dough yet.

Figlio’s

Romes

Man, when the Stone Oak location was still around I would grab their lunch special which was two slices and a salad for like 6.99 if I remember correctly. Loved that place. 

I live in Southtown, so my go-tos are Southtown Pizzeria, Il Forno, and Dough. If you have a friend or family member who's vegan, Senor Veggie on Presa makes some good food including pizza. 

Also, the small H-E-B on S Flores and Cesar Chavez makes a great and affordable pie. They always have a line. I'm not sure if they've started it back since COVID, but they used to offer a Happy Hour special for a Large pizza and 2 beers from the cooler for $10. 

On the other side of 281 from miss ellie's is a place called Julian's. We drive from Helotes to eat there often.